Search Fr. Z’s Blog
SHOPPING ONLINE? Please, always come here first!
Enter Amazon through my link. Use the search bar below. Fr Z will get a small percentage of what you spend.
Here's Fr. Z's "catholic" search for Amazon: US HERE - UK HERE And you do need a Kindle! - HERE
“This blog is like a fusion of the Baroque ‘salon’ with its well-tuned harpsichord around which polite society gathered for entertainment and edification and, on the other hand, a Wild West “saloon” with its out-of-tune piano and swinging doors, where everyone has a gun and something to say. Nevertheless, we try to point our discussions back to what it is to be Catholic in this increasingly difficult age, to love God, and how to get to heaven.” – Fr. Z
Coat of Arms by D Burkart
Send Snail Mail to Fr. Z
YOUR RECENT COMMENTS
- Jerome Charles: Perhaps he’s meditating ? I am known to close my eyes during the homily and reflect on the readings or meditate on God’ s holy presence. He could also be sleeping, of...
- tho: Equality is such an ambiguous word, to take it literally, we would not have to take tests to determine our fitness for various occupation s. Men and women are distinctly different, not only...
- stevelskojec: Rorate had it up first, but they’ ;ve allowed others to repost it. We also have it up here: https://on epeterfive .com/bisho p-athanasi sus-schnei der-on-the -question- of-a-he...
- hwriggles4: Someone commented about young people. Young people today (I grew up in the 1980s, and we got too much huggy kissy, and feel good pop psychology in youth group) mostly friends kids, tell...
- hwriggles4: Another detail: I bet none of the congregati on present left the sanctuary before the priest said “ite misa est” (I can’ t remember the correct spelling, but I am sure...
- Charivari Rob: …or Father is in his 70s/80s and has driven (or been picked up by someone) from where he resides in “ret irement 221; to give the pastor some needed help and is simply...
- jjbulano: If God had intended humans to be equal in “all ways” ; — He would have created only one sex.
- THREEHEARTS: I have seen Bl Mary waiting at the altar rails outside the sanctuary with her baby, I have seen at the back looking out the door where the priest enters. The only time I saw a woman...
- PostCatholic: Very late with this, but a Modern Irish translatio n of the Fáed Fíada Éirím inniu, Tré neart tréan -glaoch ar an Trionóid, Tré creideamh i dTriaracht , Tré admhail Aondacht Cruthai...
- VP: For Imrahil – the reason Francis wouldnR 17;t celebrate the Mass of the Last Supper is that he hasn’ ;t fully worked out for himself whether he believes what this Mass, or any...
- Kent Wendler: …mak es me think of the Apostles our Lord took with Him to the Garden of Gethsemane …
- Benedict Joseph: I regard this bizarre transmissi on of his schedule as merely “mor e rope.̶ 1; Provide them as much as they require.
- Imrahil: There are those liturgical precisioni sts who abhor the idea of any sort of “tri duum of the Passion 221; (viz., Holy Thursday, Friday, Saturday), because to them there must not...
- Diana: Awesome. I can just hear “Lit tle Green Bag” .
- Fr. John Zuhlsdorf: Thanks for that feedback!
- Anita Moore, O.P.(lay): I’d like to have vergers around to deal with an even more urgent problem: people yapping in the church before and after Mass. This has been a growing problem for at least...
- Richard Chonak: If it’s any mitigation , it appears that the SisterR 17;s interview in German didn’ ;t refer to “gen der” but to the traditiona l word “Ges chlecht...
- brianmsaxton: Pretty sure the piece you’ re talking about is at Rorate, not 1P5: https://ro rate-caeli .blogspot. com/2019/0 3/importan t-guest-op -ed-bishop -schneider .html
- pbnelson: That is a procession I want to join! Love the old-school KofC regalia, too bad we’l l see less of that in the future. p.s. Francis Ford Coppola, eat your heart out.
- Robin: Looking at this makes me so happy. St Joseph and his crew. Now those are some real men!
- JMGcork: One cannot help but be reminded of our beloved Pope Emeritus Benedict XVI. As we can observe from the video in the link below, there is a procedure should this ‘def ect’ occur....
- padredana: There are a few Cardinals who, I have observed, often doze off during ceremonies . I have seen this from a distance, as well as up close. I think often times, priests/bi shops/card inals...
- Suburbanbanshee: If Father has narcolepsy or apnea, that would be something he needs to get treated.
- Gab: If Our Lord wanted female priests, I suspect our Holy Mother would have been first in line. @grateful, yes, a good reminder. Thank you.
- arcillajohn: This will now be and forevermor e my background on my Laptop. Amen.
CLICK and say your daily offerings!
- George Weigel on “Two Georges” and future persecution
- Francis’ Triduum Schedule: strange lacuna
- Bp. Schneider: On the question of a heretical pope
- ASK FATHER: Father doses off during Mass
- LENTCAzT 2019 15 – Wednesday in the 2nd Week: Card. Burke
- Officially BADASS CATHOLIC PHOTO
- Germany: More dissent from nuns
- “Te, Ioseph celebrent”, a hymn in honor of the Terror of Demons
- CRISIS: Keen analysis of the implosion of the German Church
- LENTCAzT 2019 14 – Tuesday in the 2nd Week: Glorious St. Joseph!
- Lighter fare
- Wherein Fr. Z rants about Hell and sin and Enemy of the soul
- LENTCAzT 2019 13 – Monday in the 2nd Week: Kneeling at Mass, its actual liturgical function
- “You just want the 1950’s back!”
- ASK FATHER: How can eating desserts during Lent be fasting? Would Jesus eat desserts?
- News from the great Benedictines at Norcia: building, dogs, liturgy, beer
- ASK FATHER: A question about a marriage situation (not mine)
- How to spot a good preacher
- Your Sunday Sermon Notes
- CNA Exposé: Archbp. Francis Chullikatt, Holy See’s former Observer at the UN
- St. Patrick’s Breastplate: Armor for our time
- LENTCAzT 2019 – 12 – 2nd Sunday of Lent: God is more lenient than you
- WDTPRS – 2nd Sunday of Lent (NO): a more perfect “view”
- When We are elected Pope…
- LENTCAzT 2019 – 11 – Saturday in the 1st Week of Lent: The imperial epiphany and the tabernacle
- AUDIO: Damian Thompson on boring bishops – @HolySmoke
- 15 March – A ramble about the #IdesOfMarch
- Dems push to save cats after abandoning babies to death
- A “binding” German synod… What could possibly go wrong?
- LENTCAzT 2019 – 10 Friday in the 1st Week of Lent: The involuntary, personal response to a gracious epiphany
Let us pray…
Grant unto thy Church, we beseech Thee, O merciful God, that She, being gathered together by the Holy Ghost, may be in no wise troubled by attack from her foes. O God, who by sin art offended and by penance pacified, mercifully regard the prayers of Thy people making supplication unto Thee,and turn away the scourges of Thine anger which we deserve for our sins. Almighty and Everlasting God, in whose Hand are the power and the government of every realm: look down upon and help the Christian people that the heathen nations who trust in the fierceness of their own might may be crushed by the power of thine Arm. Through our Lord Jesus Christ, Thy Son, who liveth and reigneth with Thee in the unity of the Holy Ghost, God, world without end. R. Amen.
This blog has to earn its keep!
PLEASE subscribe if it is useful.
That way I have steady income I can plan on, and you wind up regularly on my list of benefactors for whom I pray and for whom I periodically say Holy Mass.
For a one time donation...
I set up a
CONTINUE TO GIVE
account, which functions rather like PayPal. Some of you use it. Here is a QCode you can use with your smart phones. Try it!
Also, to receive a link to donate via Continue To Give using your smart phone SEND MESSAGE:
4827563 TO: 715-803-4772 (USA)
Some donations also come through CHASE. That works well. I don't think they take any percentage as fees.
New miscellaneous releases and events
Do you want to show some appreciation?
Yes, Fr. Z is taking ads…
A great hymnal…
Because it matters what children read…
I carry one of these super-strong rosaries in my spare mag pouch! The Swiss Guards have them too!
My "challenge coin" for my 25th anniversary of ordination in 2016.
Want one? I do exchanges with military and LEOs, etc. and you can make a donation.
Because you don’t know when you are going to need to move fast or get along without the supermarket…
PLEASE RESPOND. Pretty pleeeease?Loading ...
WDTPRS POLLLoading ...
Fr. Z’s stuff is everywhere
Help support Fr. Z’s Gospel of Life work at no cost to you. Do you need a Real Estate Agent? Calling these people is the FIRST thing you should do!
GREAT causes to support
Help Monks in Wyoming (coffee – UPDATED LINK) and Norcia (beer) and the wonderful "Soap Sisters" of Summit, NJ!
Please follow me on Twitter!
If you travel internationally, this is a super useful gizmo for your mobile internet data. I use one. If you get one through my link, I get data rewards.
Monthly Archives: July 2010
I posted about the issue of the Hamster on the sidebar (yes, I actually wrote that sentence). Now I read about another priest with a rodent problem: rats in the rectory (yes, I wrote that too and I can already … Continue reading
Benedict XVI has been engaged in a fight for the soul of Europe, but the scope of the war is far wider. Catholics have a role to play. I have often written about what I call Pope Benedict’s "Marshall Plan". … Continue reading
I received emails today from readers who said that when they came to the blog, they received a "malware" warning. To my knowledge there is no malware on the page anywhere. The warning is coming because of the Hamster Cage … Continue reading
Action at the Feeder and elsewhere, today. Grosbeaks galore. I believe this is new visitor. I think it is Brewer’s Blackbird. I don’t think it is Common Grackle, because it didn’t have the purple and green sheen. Not sure. Two, … Continue reading
Our friends at Rorate have posted an excerpt of an interview with Archbp. Kurt Koch the new President of the Pont. Council for Christian Unity. Here is an excerpt of the excerpt, originally with Gaudium Press in Spanish. Gaudium Press: … Continue reading
It is nice to get feedback and news about readers. From a reader: Joe of St. Therese posted today, July 30, 2010, that he has been accepted by the Order of Blessed Virgin Mary of Mercy. Joe posts here. Joe said … Continue reading
My friend Fr. Ray Blake, the great p.p. of St. Mary Magdalen in Brighton, has started an initiative which all priests of England and Wales should know about. Go to read Priests Open Letter in Support of Pope Benedict’s Visit … Continue reading
R.I.P. From CNA: Catholic priest found dead in Mexico Mexico City, Mexico, Jul 30, 2010 / 02:02 pm (CNA/Europa Press).- Local authorities have reported that a priest, Fr. Carlos Salvador Wotto, was found dead at the parish of Our Lady … Continue reading
The new Kindle from Amazon is coming. The price has dropped. The new Kindle will be released on 27 August. There are two versions. For $139 it connects with wifi and has a 6" display. Two colors. USA preorder HERE … Continue reading
BENEDICT XVI’S PRAYER INTENTIONS FOR AUGUST VATICAN CITY, 30 JUL 2010 (VIS) – Pope Benedict’s general prayer intention for August is: "That those who are without work or homes or who are otherwise in serious need may find understanding and … Continue reading
From CNA: Congressmen to propose government-wide ban on taxpayer-funded abortion Washington D.C., Jul 30, 2010 / 06:03 am (CNA).- On Thursday Reps. Chris Smith (R-N.J.) and Dan Lipinski (D-Ill.) [A Democrat!] were scheduled to introduce legislation which would establish a … Continue reading
First, a commercial. I would like to add some Twitter followers. If you are using Twitter, would you please follow? Now… ATTENTION PRIESTS OF ENGLAND AND WALES Canadian Anglican Catholic group votes to unite with Rome “Meat cleaver” journalism – … Continue reading
I am thinking in advance about Sunday Supper. What to do? I have been looking through Apicius’ 2nd century work De re coquinaria for some hints about how to use all the broccoli that is coming in. Also, I have … Continue reading
Did you hear that Holy Father has, inter alia, penned a book for children? I am guessing it will become a bestseller. This is a little book called Gli Amici di Gesù, The Friends of Jesus. It will be fairly … Continue reading