Search Fr. Z’s Blog
SHOPPING ONLINE? Please, always come here first!
Enter Amazon through my link. Use the search bar below. Fr Z will get a small percentage of what you spend.
Here's Fr. Z's "catholic" search for Amazon: US HERE - UK HERE And you do need a Kindle! - HERE
“This blog is like a fusion of the Baroque ‘salon’ with its well-tuned harpsichord around which polite society gathered for entertainment and edification and, on the other hand, a Wild West “saloon” with its out-of-tune piano and swinging doors, where everyone has a gun and something to say. Nevertheless, we try to point our discussions back to what it is to be Catholic in this increasingly difficult age, to love God, and how to get to heaven.” – Fr. Z
YOUR RECENT COMMENTS
- Anita Moore, O.P.(lay): The mic is also bad for music. It makes singers lazy, and makes bad singing (since we are too egalitaria n to weed out bad singers) loud. Modern choir directors have a...
- jhayes: robert brown, those whose homosexual tendencies are not “dee ply-rooted ” “Dee p-seated 8221; is the term used in the English version of the 2005 Vatican stateme...
- Fr. Andrew: Thinking of, then, Cardinal Ratzinger& #8217;s idea of reintroduc ing aspects of the silent canon in Spirit of the Liturgy, I thought he missed the possibilit y of removing the microp...
- kat: May i also recommend My Catholic Faith as an excellent household resource to learn the Faith and look up topics? Easily readable and understand able for tweens and teens and adults! A great...
- monstrance: Or – Just the biggest blast torch the universe has ever witnessed in the hand of the Almighty. Of course, delegated to one of His Ferocious Angels.
- MrsMacD: Speaking of a microphone Mass; I went to a parish a couple weeks ago where there were two screens up in the sanctuary (our van was in the shop, we walked to town for Mass). The priest...
- Amerikaner: A deacon-rel ated question: A well-know diocese in Nebraska doesn̵ 7;t have a diaconate program and won’ t have it as they say that there are enough priests. Is true that the...
- Staupostek: I never comment on stories like this, but I feel moved to do so in this case since it strikes so closely to home. This subject pains me deeply. I struggle with same-sex attraction , and...
- mepoindexter: “Sin g a new faith community into being̶ 1; as it were by starting a Gregorian Chant Schola. There̵ 7;s TONS of great resources online.
- MoreIncenseLessNonsense: Melkite Greek-Cath olic here – only the priests and deacons are ever allowed to touch the Eucharist, which for us is consecrate d leavened bread. The clergy serve the...
- Malta: They may well vote for it; Our Lady of Akita said if men do not better themselves fire would fall from the sky wiping out a great part of humanity. I think fire is about to fall, whether...
- youngcatholicgirl: These comments about seeking spiritual direction in the confession al remind me of what a friend of mine was told by a Dominican sister: “Don ’t use Confession for...
- Cincinnati Priest: Thanks, Fr. Z. A couple of tips. Pastors: Please post an examinatio n of conscience prominentl y on your parish website so that people can find it *before* confession s. Regard...
- semperficatholic: Amen to that! I used to pray Cardinal Arinze would be elected Pope; also Cardinal Sarah. There is still hope; hope will help you cope.
- Henry Edwards: “the bishops of that sad place are going to the zoo about Communion for non-Cathol ics.” ; Is the problem in Germany simply the apparent fact that the German bishops have...
- RichR: If you are sincere in your penitence, wordiness is unnecessar y. God knows your heart and your sins better than you do. The priest just needs to know your sins (number and kind) to exerc...
- robtbrown: Malta says: 24 May 2018 at 7:58 AM It seems he contradict s himself to some degree on the issue of homosexual ity (cf: http://the week.com/a rticles/77 4517/pope- francis-cu nning-l...
- robtbrown: Jhayes, Those with deeply rooted homosexual tendencies and those who practice homosexual acts: Who has been excluded (other than heterosexu als)?
- JPD: I think if someone wants to make a General Confession ; then yes more time will be required. However, I have stood in the confession line waiting for 10, 15, 20 minutes for one person to...
- JonPatrick: As a way of strengthen ing your faith I would also recommend “The Catholic Catechism: by Fr. John Hardon SJ. Don’ t be put off by the SJ at the end of his name, he is very...
- Augustine Thompson O.P.: I agree with Father. Sins are sins. They need to be confessed. And in confession that is it. I have often had penitents who have not been to confession in decades (as all...
- Nan: Have you brought that priest to Abp’ s attention?
- Grant M: I remember reading somewhere, possibly, on this very blog, an anecdote pertinent to this situation. Protestant to her Catholic friend: “I wish I could receive communion in your churc...
- JesusFreak84: jhayes touched on what I was thinking as I read this. IF there is a priest who experience s same-sex temptation s BUT resists them just as strongly as his heterosexu al brother...
- JesusFreak84: I can think of another time where an appointmen t might be best, even necessary: if the person is handicappe d in some way that requires accommodat ion. I’ve been in very few...
CLICK and say your daily offerings!
- Concerning innovations
- ASK FATHER: Deacons vesting in dalmatics for concelebrations
- ASK FATHER: How do we get the TLM where we are?
- Card. Arinze: If you want Communion, become a Catholic
- URGENT PRAYER – IRELAND
- ASK FATHER: When to make an appointment for confession
- ASK FATHER: Sorting out confusing, contradictory messages from priests
- Wherein Fr. Z assigns some worthwhile reading
- Met “Gay-la” and new movie. Coincidence? I think not.
- ASK FATHER: Forgetting sins during confession
- Day Of Prayer For The Church In China
- Pope Francis on homosexual seminarians: This bridge is closed!
- My View For Awhile: Urban Devastation Edition
- Does Pope Francis have a “long game” strategy?
- Interview about Honduran Card. Rodriguez Maradiaga
- Canadian Jesuit Archbp. Prendergast comments on crazy German bishops’ scheme
- Pope’s words about God making someone “gay”
- Some cool stuff, old and new, in Rome and Detroit
- @Card_R_Sarah terrific sermon for Pentecost and pilgrimage
- A Bishop calls on his brother Bishops to celebrate the Traditional Pontifical Mass, TLM
- “I originally sent you this story 8 years ago, for the brick by brick file…” UPDATE
- “Where there is no temple there shall be no homes.”
- Pastor Iuventus on the appalling Met “Gay-la”
- Chilling – probably correct – explanation of mass school shootings
- A Pentecost Monday lesson: “And Paul VI wept.”
- WDTPRS – Pentecost Sunday: that strong stable edge
- Your Sunday Sermon Notes
- BACK IN PRINT! The Heresy of Formlessness
- My View For Awhile: Creston Edition
- “I used to think hosts found on floors was Traditional Catholic hyperbole…”
Let us pray…
Grant unto thy Church, we beseech Thee, O merciful God, that She, being gathered together by the Holy Ghost, may be in no wise troubled by attack from her foes. O God, who by sin art offended and by penance pacified, mercifully regard the prayers of Thy people making supplication unto Thee,and turn away the scourges of Thine anger which we deserve for our sins. Almighty and Everlasting God, in whose Hand are the power and the government of every realm: look down upon and help the Christian people that the heathen nations who trust in the fierceness of their own might may be crushed by the power of thine Arm. Through our Lord Jesus Christ, Thy Son, who liveth and reigneth with Thee in the unity of the Holy Ghost, God, world without end. R. Amen.
My "challenge coin" for my 25th anniversary of ordination in 2016.
Want one? I do exchanges with military and LEOs, etc. and you can make a donation.
Coat of Arms by D Burkart
I travel a good deal. As I get older, it takes more of a toll. My main airline - sigh - is Delta. Were I to get some Gift Cards for Delta, I could more easily upgrade for longer flights. I'm just sayin'. I'd be much obliged. HERE
New miscellaneous releases and events
Yes, Fr. Z is taking ads…
A great hymnal…
Because it matters what children read…
I carry one of these super-strong rosaries in my spare mag pouch! The Swiss Guards have them too!
Because you don’t know when you are going to need to move fast or get along without the supermarket…
PLEASE RESPOND. Pretty pleeeease?Loading ...
WDTPRS POLLLoading ...
Fr. Z’s stuff is everywhere
Help support Fr. Z’s Gospel of Life work at no cost to you. Do you need a Real Estate Agent? Calling these people is the FIRST thing you should do!
GREAT causes to support
Help Monks in Wyoming (coffee – UPDATED LINK) and Norcia (beer) and the wonderful "Soap Sisters" of Summit, NJ!
Please follow me on Twitter!
If you travel internationally, this is a super useful gizmo for your mobile internet data. I use one. If you get one through my link, I get data rewards.
A book by an old friend…
Daily Archives: 27 September 2010
From Creative Minority Report with my emphases and comments:
Well, for all those who said it was just a slip of the tongue last time or that his speechwriters were to blame, Obama just made sure you knew that … Continue reading
Have you ever seen an ordination to the priesthood with the older, traditional Roman Rite….
A reader sent notice of the following:
FSSP ORDINATION KANSAS CITY THIS SATURDAY, OCTOBER 2
Rev. Mr David Kemna will be ordained to the priesthood by Archbishop Emeritus … Continue reading
Some of you will recall that I visited Wyoming Catholic College last winter. I found it splendid.
Here is an update from the WCC blog (in case you know young people trying to figure out where to go to college).
They might … Continue reading
Previously on RATS IN THE RECTORY (here).
On the blog Southern Orders I saw that Fr. M has some news, as well as a very satisfying and at the same time disgusting photo.
Well, I got access to a computer to update … Continue reading
For those of you who like to have that last shot at previewing your comments before hitting that submit button… I believe I have a working Preview function up and running.
I just received word that Fr. Thomas Dubay, SM, has died.
Please pray for the repose of his soul.
Fr. Dubay was a fine author on issues of the spiritual life. His books are very good.
I am sure you remember my review of artist/illustrator Daniel Mitsui’s Crucifixion. Mitsui has a blog called The Lion and the Cardinal, an obvious Patristic reference which never fails to delight me.
Today I received another print from him, a polychrome … Continue reading
From a reader:
Can a beretta be used in the OF? When would it be used?
Yes, without question! But make sure that it is clean and in good working order so that it doesn’t misfire.
I would use the beretta primarily … Continue reading
From a reader:
While about to receive Communion today I was told by a Eucharistic minister “nice to see you” immediately after she had said “Body of Christ,” to me. I had not even responded, “Amen” yet. Is this permissible? I … Continue reading
Do you have good news to share?