Search Fr. Z’s Blog
When you shop…... through Amazon, please, come here first? BACK TO SCHOOL SHOPPING? Enter Amazon through my search box. I'll then get a small percentage of everything you buy. (Pssst - Can't see the search box? Turn off your "ad-blocker" for this site!)
A search box for Amazon UK is at the bottom of the blog.
- You keep this blog, and me, going. I pray for benefactors.
There is a subscription form at the bottom of this page!
- Chon said I think it would be good if we refrain here from s...
- truthfinder said Easter Friday is a solemnity (FSSP priest said eve...
- wolfeken said slainewe — you raise a good point, and that...
- Widukind said Thank you again for the interesting article. Whate...
- TWF said “Many people are unable…” As Fat...
- msc said In my weakness I voted for one hour–we go to...
- JonathanCatholic said “Fasting from midnight before is very tradit...
- JBS said The rules on everything from fasting and abstinenc...
- APX said Reclaiming the Sacred, Times have changed. Now we...
- sirlouis said My response depends on what principle underlies th...
- jhayes said Are the Cardinals writing new material specificall...
- wmeyer said I meant to mention, too, that at 65, I do still fa...
- wmeyer said I voted for midnight before, which is my habit, bu...
- akp1 said I voted one hour (I would go for two hours if it w...
- APX said Maybe those who know they will take awhile could b...
- Mary Jane said I voted yes, 3 hours before. At the moment I perso...
- Elizabeth D said I was also 99.5% certain Cdl Burke was one of them...
- Reclaiming The Sacred said I voted midnight. I did this because I have notic...
- praiseofglory said Perhaps it is reflective of many decades of little...
- acricketchirps said I thought heard they had a vote over at the Fishwr...
- KM Edwards said I voted for midnight before. The 1 hour before com...
- TWF said I voted three hours. Fasting from midnight before...
- Wiktor said One hour for EF Mass is just too easy. A sung mass...
- Paul Young said I voted for three hours. Seems to me to strike a...
- Pie and Palestrina said @cicada: depending on your priest and the setup of...
- Bea said I had heard about it and was planning on pre-order...
- StGiuseppeMoscati said Dear Fr. Z and fellow readers, I have followed thi...
- TopSully said Father Z: “I say it should be at least three...
- Bea said I voted 1 hour 3 Hours is commendable and should b...
- Imrahil said Dear APX, the rules at present say “nothing...
My wish lists
The horse is made ready for the day of battle, but the victory belongs to the LORD.
- Proverbs 21:31
Support them with prayer and fasting.
CLICK and say your Daily Offering!
Let us pray…
Grant unto thy Church, we beseech Thee, O merciful God, that She, being gathered together by the Holy Ghost, may be in no wise troubled by attack from her foes. O God, who by sin art offended and by penance pacified, mercifully regard the prayers of Thy people making supplication unto Thee,and turn away the scourges of Thine anger which we deserve for our sins. Almighty and Everlasting God, in whose Hand are the power and the government of every realm: look down upon and help the Christian people that the heathen nations who trust in the fierceness of their own might may be crushed by the power of thine Arm. Through our Lord Jesus Christ, Thy Son, who liveth and reigneth with Thee in the unity of the Holy Ghost, God, world without end. R. Amen.
Help Monks in Wyoming, Fr. Z, and get great coffee too!
Food For Thought
“The legalization of the termination of pregnancy is none other than the authorization given to an adult, with the approval of an established law, to take the lives of children yet unborn and thus incapable of defending themselves. It is difficult to imagine a more unjust situation, and it is very difficult to speak of obsession in a matter such as this, where we are dealing with a fundamental imperative of every good conscience — the defense of the right to life of an innocent and defenseless human being.”
- St. John Paul II
PLEASE RESPOND. Pretty pleeeease?Loading ...
WDTPRS POLLLoading ...
A morsel for thought…
"If your work is strong enough for someone to hate you, it's strong enough for someone to love you. The middle is what you should fear."
- Sean McCabe @seanwes
Yes, Fr. Z is taking ads…... and there will be nearly 1,000,000 page loads this month.
- The popular pontificate of Pope Francis: two views
- St. Monica: “put my body anywhere”
- ASK FATHER: The priest’s Eucharistic fast in the Extraordinary Form
- ACTION ITEM! Book from 5 Cardinals in defense of marriage and tradition – UPDATE
- ASK FATHER: Meat when a feast falls on a Friday
- ASK FATHER: Hogging the confessional
- My View For Awhile: Road Trip
- Your Sunday Sermon Notes
- It’s always someone else…
- WDTPRS 11th Sunday after Pentecost: what Christ does for us
- How Churches (actually “ecclesial communities”) commit suicide
- WDTPRS 21st Ordinary Sunday: the smoke of Satan v. invisible love
- NYC – What’s up at Our Saviour Church where Fr. Rutler used to be pastor?
- Just Too Cool: The Glory
- Question for readers: TLM and NO readings
- VIDEO: The Chapel Veil
- RECENT POSTS and THANKS
- Friday Fun Moment: One Hit Wonders (and a digression)
- UPDATED: Of “rubber bullets”
- MANHATTAN, NYC 22 Aug & 12 Sept: PRAYER VIGIL FOR CHRISTIANS IN IRAQ, SYRIA
- USCCB Pres. Archbp. Kurtz comments on Obama Admin’s slithery new HHS mandate rules
- ASK FATHER: Ways to improve celebration of Mass with Novus Ordo
- A note to bloggers and to those who register
- MOVIE – When The Game Stands Tall – ACTION ITEM!
- Pope calls family of American journalist killed by Muslims
- Spectator’s hard-hitting commentary on pontificate of Pope Francis
- UPDATED! OKLAHOMA CITY: Lawsuit v Satanic event, Consecrated Host turned over!
- Fr. Finigan looks at “routine” Communions
- CWR: Finding What Should Never Have Been Lost: Priests and the Extraordinary Form
Because you don’t know when you are going to need to move fast or get along without the supermarket…
Identity theft is a serious problem that you do NOT want to have. I use Lifelock.
Wyoming Catholic College!
A great place in Rome…
See my post about the Domus Australia HERE
More food for thought:
“I expect to die in bed, my successor will die in prison and his successor will die a martyr in the public square. His successor will pick up the shards of a ruined society and slowly help rebuild civilization, as the church has done so often in human history.”
Francis Card. George
Check out the Cardinal Newman Society feed!
I have been giving out these tougher-than-nails, no-nonsense Rosaries:
Please follow me on Twitter!
Fr. Z’s stuff is everywhere
More food for thought…
"All laws which are repugnant to the Constitution are null and void."
- Marbury v. Madison, 5 U.S. 137, 176
Even More Food For Thought
"Men by their constitutions are naturally divided into two parties: 1. Those who fear and distrust the people, and wish to draw all powers from them into the hands of the higher classes. 2. Those who identify themselves with the people, have confidence in them, cherish and consider them as the most honest and safe, although not the most wise depositary of the public interests."
- Thomas Jefferson to Henry Lee, 1824. ME 16:73
Monthly Archives: September 2010
From a seminarian:
I … have recently had some discussions with others in the house about implementing ad orientem style of the Mass. I think that the rubrics are very clear in assuming that the Mass is said ad orientem, regardless … Continue reading
A few days back the best Catholic weekly in the UK, The Catholic Herald, posted a blurb that the Holy Father might visit Ireland in 2012.
Now I read on CNA:
Four Irish archbishops summoned to Rome to meet apostolic visitors
Rome, Italy, … Continue reading
I haven’t posted much from the feeder, these days.
Right now the baby Goldfinches are buzzing around, making noises like squeaky-toys and incessantly following their parents. They flap their wings, squeak, and beg.
More begging action.
A large flock of turkeys recently changed … Continue reading
My friend Mr. Jeffrey Tucker has posted on his blog, Chant Cafe, videos with audio of new chants for the Novus Ordo in English according to the upcoming corrected translation. These are intended as tutorials.
Some people are claiming that the … Continue reading
North Dakota bishop leads procession at abortion clinic amid protests
Fargo, N.D., Sep 29, 2010 / 12:51 am (CNA).- In time for the upcoming Respect Life Month of October, Bishop Samuel Aquila of Fargo, North Dakota presided over an annual … Continue reading
You have read about…
… The Vortex.
I have wondered where things go, if they are pulled into the Vortex and can’t get out.
Look at this portentous photo from Astronomy Pic of the Day.
This is a vortex on the planet Venus. … Continue reading
USCCB pro-life chairman issues statement on upcoming Respect Life month
Washington D.C., Sep 28, 2010 / 03:03 pm (CNA/EWTN News).- In light of the upcoming Respect Life Month of October, Cardinal Daniel DiNardo of Galveston-Houston issued a statement on what … Continue reading
I have been receiving mixed feedback about the speed with which the blog now loads for people.
Let’s try this again, with a poll.
Please pick the best answer and then give your observations about the speed of the blog loading below. … Continue reading
From a reader:
Wait, the sign of peace is an option, not a requirement?!?! How did I not know this? Am I bound by obedience to participate if the priest uses this option? Can I decline the invitation?
The so-called “sign of … Continue reading