Not to be missed…
Search Fr. Z’s Blog
SHOPPING ONLINE? Please, always come here first!
Enter Amazon through my link. Use the search bar below. Fr Z will get a small percentage of what you spend.
Here's Fr. Z's "catholic" search for Amazon: US HERE - UK HERE And you do need a Kindle! - HERE
“This blog is like a fusion of the Baroque ‘salon’ with its well-tuned harpsichord around which polite society gathered for entertainment and edification and, on the other hand, a Wild West “saloon” with its out-of-tune piano and swinging doors, where everyone has a gun and something to say. Nevertheless, we try to point our discussions back to what it is to be Catholic in this increasingly difficult age, to love God, and how to get to heaven.” – Fr. Z
Coat of Arms by D Burkart
Do you want to show some appreciation?
Send Snail Mail to Fr. Z
YOUR RECENT COMMENTS
- Lauren35: Our Altar Guild has core groups that do weekly cleaning, flowers, laundry, etc. For Ember Days, we have major church cleaning over the course of a day or two. Once a year (maybe twice?)...
- catholiccomelately: Former Protestant here, who learned about linens and altar care at her motherR 17;s knee. And former ordained Lutheran woman, who learned about women̵ 7;s groups from...
- Diana: LOL @Alice! Stay away from the TidePods! I’ll learn to live with Sodality if I must. It’s just one of those words like “sla cks” and “Ant ietam̶ 1; that...
- KAS: Well, Space Weather Woman on Youtube has been expanding on the sorts of reports she does, and doing more talking about when the situation is going to be better or worse for GPS and HAM radio....
- Closettraddy: On Holy Saturday, my little parish had a Confession al booth installed. Years ago the parish was wreckovate d – Kneelers torn out, high altar dismantled and sold off for art...
- teachermom24: “Oka y, what are the solutions to this scenario? Altar and ROSARY Society? Altar and ADORATION Society? 8221; Yes. To keep any group of women in the church from turning in on...
- colospgs: If someone feels hurt by the truth, then the problem lies with them. It’s not the obligation of the proclaimer of the truth to ease the pain. One can try, of course, but there...
- John Grammaticus: Sounds like Tywin Lannister to the core. “And who are you the proud Lord said, that I should bow so low, only a cat in a different coat, the only truth I know” ;R...
- beelady: One more thought – this idea may be better received if the Servers Guild is structured the same way.
- beelady: *letting the Holy Spirit decide
- beelady: I believe that the only way to avoid the Guild becoming a clique or a club for a certain group of women is to make a list of what needs to be done and then draw lots for who is assigned to...
- CatholicHistoryNerd: If you want a variety of women to volunteer, it’s important to make boundaries and expectatio ns clear. Otherwise the group becomes a clique that one cannot join without...
- Patrick71: My traditiona l parish celebrated our first Holy Week as a parish in a big tent that seats 500. Two adult baptisms and half dozen confirmati ons and first communions .
- The Egyptian: ordinary catholic said How can I not wonder at what is going on with our supposedly so-called shepherds when they can NOT articulate the Truth of the Church This article says it...
- NancyA: Hello, Fr. Z! I’m a member of my parish Altar Society and, as another person responded, every woman in our parish is considered a member, but the real work is accomplish ed by about a dozen...
- Alice: My parish doesn̵ 7;t have an Altar and Rosary Society, but there are women who are charge of various things from funeral dinners to church cleaning. It’s a larger parish, so when...
- Diana: My parish has monthly “Lad ies Sodality Meetings 8221;, after First Saturday Mass and Adoration. Father gives a talk and then whoever can stay to clean does, although I underst...
- Chris Garton-Zavesky: Perhaps Tobin̵ 7;s words should be “ina dmissible& #8221;?
- Chris Garton-Zavesky: Pre- 55 Holy Week. Solemn High liturgies for Palm Sunday, Maundy Thursday, Good Friday and the Vigil. High Mass (only) on Easter morning. My choir director made the graci...
- Peter Stuart: Man’ s a Cardinal! Who am I to judge? This is why I bailed my struggling SSA self out to the SSPX a year ago: enough BS is enough.
- Tom of John of God: Ibimus Minneapoli tani ad Orientem, Pater! Perhaps a Solemn High Mass on Corpus Christi Thursday with the new set of white vestments, followed by a twilight candlelit Euchar...
- Glennonite: My retired priest (Father “Gam eshow-host ”) will give me Communion while I’m on my knees, But he usually “cut s” the side of my mouth with the host (as a...
- Fr. John Zuhlsdorf: Tom of John of God says: Latin Mass Society of Madison bussing on over to join Una Voce Minnesota I like the idea. Then again, perhaps Una Voce MN could turn to the East and...
- chantgirl: For technical training, the Williamsbu rg School of Needlework offers classes on embroidery and mastering altar linens. A friend took one of their week-long courses: https://ww w.wmbgn...
- Tom of John of God: You know, Father Z… in the Treaty of Paris of 1763 France ceded the territory west of the Mississipp i to Spain. I’m no canon lawyer (famous last words) but surely...
CLICK and say your daily offerings!
- Your Good News
- A lesson in “selective aggression”
- A Cardinal on the ropes of logic
- PASCHALCAzT 50 – Easter Wednesday: You are a holy seed, a new colony of bees, the very flower of my ministry
- Fr. Z seeks advice about women
- A few Easter Vigil moments – UPDATES
- News from Norcia! Benedictines, beauty and beer
- Card. Piacenza to priests: “Wanna be a modern priest? HEAR CONFESSIONS!” Whereupon Fr. Z really rants.
- PASCHALCAzT 49 – Easter Tuesday: Christ won it, but we can lose it
- CQ CQ CQ – #HamRadio Tuesday: ZedNet reminder
- ASK FATHER: A 12 year old asks ” #EarthDay is coming up…”
- ASK FATHER: How to receive Communion on the tongue?
- ASK FATHER: Father used the blessing for a train when blessing my car
- PASCHALCAzT 48 – Easter Monday: Year by year by year
- Wonderful wonderful photo
- It pays to be attentive, especially when you are really tired!
- Your Easter Sunday Sermon Notes
- VIDEO: Fr. Murray on bombings, Easter and our Catholic identity
- PASCHALCAzT 47 – Easter Sunday: Leave the shrouds in the tomb
- ACTION ITEM: Help for a traditional Catholic seminarian continues! – UPDATED… for EASTER!
- Benedict XVI on the Paschal Candle
- WDTPRS and AUDIO: The Exsultet – explained, translated, sung
- JUST TOO COOL: Fr. Z kudos to Our Lady’s Bees! They survived the fire #NDParis
- LENTCAzT 2019 46 – Holy Saturday: The Harrowing of Hell
- POLL: Foot-washing on Holy Thursday where you are – ORDINARY FORM
- “Behold, I make all things new.”
- #GoodFriday and You: Prayers for Holy Souls in Purgatory and Plenary Indulgences
- STATIONS OF THE CROSS – Audio from Fr. Z
- Good Friday Reminder: Fasting, Abstaining, and You
- LENTCAzT 2019 45 – Good Friday: The ultimate pulpit
Let us pray…
Grant unto thy Church, we beseech Thee, O merciful God, that She, being gathered together by the Holy Ghost, may be in no wise troubled by attack from her foes. O God, who by sin art offended and by penance pacified, mercifully regard the prayers of Thy people making supplication unto Thee,and turn away the scourges of Thine anger which we deserve for our sins. Almighty and Everlasting God, in whose Hand are the power and the government of every realm: look down upon and help the Christian people that the heathen nations who trust in the fierceness of their own might may be crushed by the power of thine Arm. Through our Lord Jesus Christ, Thy Son, who liveth and reigneth with Thee in the unity of the Holy Ghost, God, world without end. R. Amen.
This blog has to earn its keep!
PLEASE subscribe if it is useful.
That way I have steady income I can plan on, and you wind up regularly on my list of benefactors for whom I pray and for whom I periodically say Holy Mass.
For a one time donation...
I set up a
CONTINUE TO GIVE
account, which functions rather like PayPal. Some of you use it. Here is a QCode you can use with your smart phones. Try it!
Also, to receive a link to donate via Continue To Give using your smart phone SEND MESSAGE:
4827563 TO: 715-803-4772 (USA)
Some donations also come through CHASE. That works well. I don't think they take any percentage as fees.
Yes, Fr. Z is taking ads…
A great hymnal…
Because it matters what children read…
I carry one of these super-strong rosaries in my spare mag pouch! The Swiss Guards have them too!
My "challenge coin" for my 25th anniversary of ordination in 2016.
Want one? I do exchanges with military and LEOs, etc. and you can make a donation.
Because you don’t know when you are going to need to move fast or get along without the supermarket…
PLEASE RESPOND. Pretty pleeeease?Loading ...
WDTPRS POLLLoading ...
Fr. Z’s stuff is everywhere
Help support Fr. Z’s Gospel of Life work at no cost to you. Do you need a Real Estate Agent? Calling these people is the FIRST thing you should do!
GREAT causes to support
Help Monks in Wyoming (coffee – UPDATED LINK) and Norcia (beer) and the wonderful "Soap Sisters" of Summit, NJ!
Please follow me on Twitter!
If you travel internationally, this is a super useful gizmo for your mobile internet data. I use one. If you get one through my link, I get data rewards.
Monthly Archives: October 2010
BENEDICT XVI’S PRAYER INTENTIONS FOR NOVEMBER VATICAN CITY, 29 OCT 2010 (VIS) – Pope Benedict’s general prayer intention for November is: “That victims of drugs or of other dependence may, thanks to the support of the Christian community, find in … Continue reading
Sunday 31 October isthe Feast of Christ the King in the older, traditional calendar. There will be a Solemn Mass at 10 am, also at Holy Innocents with music by Morales, the Missa sobre las voces. After the Sunday Mass, … Continue reading
I rose at oh dark hundred this morning, did my chores, and headed to the airport. Off through the LSD TUNNEL OF LIBERAL NEW AGE LOVE in the Detroit airport. Our approach into NYC. A great view of the park. … Continue reading
How I wish my friend John L. Allen could write for some Catholic publication rather than for the National Catholic Reporter. As you know, Mr. Allen is the nearly-ubiquitous fair-minded writer in that otherwise bleak fishwrap. His Friday piece is … Continue reading
As I do household chores, I am tuned in to frenzied news coverage of the various terrorist-related bombs, bomb scares or trial runs in the USA and London, connected with Dubai and Yemen. Al-Qaeda in the Arabian Peninsula is suspected. … Continue reading
UPDATE 1820 GMT: The original post at USAToday has been edited and this message added: (NOTE: Language in the above graph has been changed from the original post to reflect more clearly respect for the Eucharist in Catholic belief.) Dear … Continue reading
Yesterday the Holy Father spoke to bishops from Brazil gathered in Rome for their ad limina visit. Some of his comments pertain to the upcoming US midterm election next week and the role of the Church in shaping the consciences … Continue reading
I direct you attention to an entry at The Chant Cafe: Simple Propers for All Souls Posted by Adam Bartlett Download them here Note that the chants for the Feast of All Souls are the same as the Requiem (Funeral) … Continue reading
Yesterday in an entry about comments made by soon-to-be Card. Burke and the responsibilities of voters in this upcoming mid-term election, I foretold that liberals would claim that Burke was “telling people how to vote”. Arch-liberal Maureen Fielder, a dissenting … Continue reading
It seems that the Battlestar Galactica prequel series Caprica was axed yesterday. This follows a week after the announcement that SyFy would produce a movie length pilot set during the first Cylon war. It will be called, apparently, Battlestar Galactica: … Continue reading
Test of a new mobile theme, posted from my iPhone. If this works for you, pitch in. I had to buy it.
Are you in or near New York City? There will be a Solemn Mass with the 1962 Missale Romanum at Holy Innocents in Manhattan (near 37th and Broadway) for the Feast of All Saints Monday, 1 November at 6 PM, … Continue reading
Remember how soon-to-be Cardinal Raymond Burke was, as liberals crowed, promoted to a Roman office in order to remove his influence on the American scene? This is from CNA with my E and C: Rome, Italy, Oct 28, 2010 / … Continue reading
The men and women serving in the US Military oversees are not going to be able to vote with absentee ballots for some states (Illinois, for example). But apparently if you are in jail in Cook County (coincidentally in Illinois), … Continue reading