Search Fr. Z’s Blog
SHOPPING ONLINE? Please, always come here first!
Enter Amazon through my link. Use the search bar below. Fr Z will get a small percentage of what you spend.
Here's Fr. Z's "catholic" search for Amazon: US HERE - UK HERE And you do need a Kindle! - HERE
“This blog is like a fusion of the Baroque ‘salon’ with its well-tuned harpsichord around which polite society gathered for entertainment and edification and, on the other hand, a Wild West “saloon” with its out-of-tune piano and swinging doors, where everyone has a gun and something to say. Nevertheless, we try to point our discussions back to what it is to be Catholic in this increasingly difficult age, to love God, and how to get to heaven.” – Fr. Z
Coat of Arms by D Burkart
YOUR RECENT COMMENTS
- Imrahil: I’ve heard that Pope Benedict still “ble sses apostolica lly” , as it were, on the grounds that he still is a successor of St. Peter – even though no the current...
- maternalView: Thank you for sharing, anon and Fr. Z.
- Hans: Surprising ly enough, as I understand it, ‘ald erman̵ 7; and the plural ‘ald ermen̵ 7; are the only variants allowed by Chicago ordinance. That may have changed in the...
- LatinMan: I have to agree with the poster above that he should not have disobeyed, or even haven given the appearance of having disobeyed, since we are not to disobey a legitimate superior unless...
- Marc in Eugene: If there is or was a concession of the Apostolic Benedictio n to the local ordinaries three times in the year, might it not be reasonable to suppose that, given the unusual circum...
- Gaetano: I am confident to a level of a scientific certitude that never in Fr. MartinR 17;s 11 years of religious formation was the concept of reparation for the sins of others ever mention...
- Dismas: Well, it appears that this hospital is of vast importance to certain parties. Why, I don’ t know.
- Charles E Flynn: Sooner or later, ocean-dwel ling plastic straws will make their appearance in this scandal.
- Mallu Jack: Bp. Nickless has previously been praised on this blog for: 1. saying that we must “exorcise” the so-called “spirit of Vatican II” 2. his “OUT STANDING 8221; (caps of Fr Z)...
- mburn16: “The se letters were spun by the NY Times to say that Benedict was criticizin g Francis’ critics, but I don’t see anything to indicate that. We didn’t get the full texts, so I guess...
- Fr. Reader: @chantgirt . Yes. “ 221;Fr. Martin, SJ said that he “cannot imagine a more homophobic action by Catholics, short of beating up an LGBT person in the church parking lot.”...
- exNOAAman: “ 230;still as sharp as a scalpel 230;” ; Excellent.
- Charles E Flynn: The date of one of the letters has been overlooked by many journalist s. From https://ww w.catholic culture.or g/commenta ry/otn.cfm ?id=1306 , by Phil Lawler: As we do so, howev...
- Dismas: I really try to no be a complete cynic, but the cynical side of me is batting a thousand these days.
- chantgirl: The rainbow flag has become, not just a symbol of people with a certain sexual preference , but a symbol of active homosexual ity, which is one of the sins crying to Heaven for vengean...
- Clayton: I wish we heard more often from Benedict. For myself, in these times, I feel a certain comfort just knowing he is still around.
- MrsMacD: mbarry I found this book, ‘The Mass Explained, ’ extremely good for teaching my children and I learned a thing or three http://www .ccwatersh ed.org/kid s/
- richiedel: Aside from the biblical illiteracy I commented about prior, it should be noted how much Fr. Martin undermines Vatican II and its teachings on the common priesthood of the baptized and...
- chantgirl: Just when I thought it was safe to come out from under my tin foil hat, lol. Benedict is sending out some mixed signals. I’d like to read the rest of the letters for context. These...
- maternalView: Even though there are canonical penalties for disobeying a Cardinal does that automatica lly mean the disobedien ce was a sin? [The fact that Cupich is a Cardinal is irrelevant . He...
- MrsMacD: @Elizabeth D It’s true but I think it’s pretty cool that God has made it so that the guilty person relys on the victimR 17;s prayers and sacrifices for his own salvati...
- Benedict Joseph: I’ve searched high and low but am unable to find an explanatio n as to who and why these letters were made available to the media. These were private communicat ions. Either the...
- Dismas: @Fr. Z: Don’ t forget the carbon footprint!
- Kathleen10: I also just read about the Sistine Chapel Choir debacle. I remember reading a few years ago how the Vatican was selling seats at performanc es for so many thousands of dollars, which...
- Marion Ancilla Mariae II: Re: re-educati on of conservati ve a/o traditiona l priests: It’s too bad someone with contacts with The Agency doesn̵ 7;t reach out to set up a “tra ining...
CLICK and say your daily offerings!
- ASK FATHER: If in letters Benedict XVI imparts still the Apostolic Blessing…
- A story of spectacular complexity, involving shady people, huge money, interlocking directorates, vast loans, and the Papal Foundation.
- One Mad Mom spanks James Martin, LGBTSJ – UPDATED
- Bishop R. Walker Nickless of Sioux City on #ViganoTestimony
- Archd. Chicago parish burns a “rainbow flag”
- And now a word from our sponsor…
- BOOKS RECEIVED: Vatican I: The Council and the Making of the Ultramontane Church
- The upcoming Synod’s “working document”
- ASK FATHER: Should we pray for or against the success of the Synod?
- What passes for important today.
- YOU are other people. It’s always someone else… until it’s YOU.
- ASK FATHER: Are we are in the End Times?
- Fr. Murray’s Open Letter to ex-Card. McCarrick. Wherein Fr. Z rants.
- Cri de Coeur about lost innocence and The Present Crisis
- Card. Müller: “the real danger to today’s humanity is the greenhouse gases of sin and the global warming of unbelief”
- Thoughts on fatherhood and how priestly identity is undercut by short terms as pastors
- More Jesuit idiocy – BUT WAIT! There’s more!
- Henry Sire: “Archbishop Viganò is now living in fear of his life, quite literally.”
- ASK FATHER: Can a Dominican Tertiary priest use the Dominican Rite?
- Lay Rage in Chicago, Mary Eberstadt takes names, and Fr. Z rants
- There are more than one “lavender mafia”
- Your Sunday Sermon Notes
- WDTPRS – 17th Sunday after Pentecost: diabolical contagion
- We are all, I think, striving to understand how we got to the point where we are.
- ASK FATHER: What should we do for Ember Days?
- UPDATED – ACTION ITEM! 10 year old’s fundraiser for a Pregnancy Care Center
- At end of youth meeting, no Apostolic Benediction from Francis.
- Francis to clergy, seminarians, religion in Palermo: “Clericalism… one of the most difficult perversions”
- UPDATE: 15 Sept: Seven Sorrows of Mary, Mater Dolorosa, Queen of Martyrs – Queen of Clergy
- @BishopZubik announces traditional practices for @DioPitt
Let us pray…
Grant unto thy Church, we beseech Thee, O merciful God, that She, being gathered together by the Holy Ghost, may be in no wise troubled by attack from her foes. O God, who by sin art offended and by penance pacified, mercifully regard the prayers of Thy people making supplication unto Thee,and turn away the scourges of Thine anger which we deserve for our sins. Almighty and Everlasting God, in whose Hand are the power and the government of every realm: look down upon and help the Christian people that the heathen nations who trust in the fierceness of their own might may be crushed by the power of thine Arm. Through our Lord Jesus Christ, Thy Son, who liveth and reigneth with Thee in the unity of the Holy Ghost, God, world without end. R. Amen.
This blog has to earn its keep!
New miscellaneous releases and events
Yes, Fr. Z is taking ads…
A great hymnal…
Because it matters what children read…
I carry one of these super-strong rosaries in my spare mag pouch! The Swiss Guards have them too!
My "challenge coin" for my 25th anniversary of ordination in 2016.
Want one? I do exchanges with military and LEOs, etc. and you can make a donation.
Because you don’t know when you are going to need to move fast or get along without the supermarket…
PLEASE RESPOND. Pretty pleeeease?Loading ...
WDTPRS POLLLoading ...
Fr. Z’s stuff is everywhere
Help support Fr. Z’s Gospel of Life work at no cost to you. Do you need a Real Estate Agent? Calling these people is the FIRST thing you should do!
GREAT causes to support
Help Monks in Wyoming (coffee – UPDATED LINK) and Norcia (beer) and the wonderful "Soap Sisters" of Summit, NJ!
Please follow me on Twitter!
If you travel internationally, this is a super useful gizmo for your mobile internet data. I use one. If you get one through my link, I get data rewards.
Monthly Archives: November 2010
Did any of you notice this?
This took me a bit by surprise.
Card. Bertone went to Kazakhstan and gave the Orthodox Church there a major relic of St. Andrew from those venerated in Amalfi.
I recall a few years ago when John … Continue reading
Pope Benedict XVI composes prayer for the unborn
Vatican City, Nov 30, 2010 / 05:50 pm (CNA).- The Pope prayed for the protection of life and the family at the conclusion of the Prayer Vigil for the Unborn on Nov. … Continue reading
Do you remember that I suggested that to do penance for the crimes against minors by priests and bishops, and the damage they have done to the Church, bishops
especially should prostrate themselves in public view before their cathedrals before going … Continue reading
I have often mentioned that I think Gregorian chant sung by women only is ethereally beautiful. Listening to the new chant disk by the Benedictine nuns of Abbaye de Notre-Dame de l’Annonciation has confirmed my view.
The Benedictine nuns of the … Continue reading
Did you see this good news?
This is for your Brick By Brick file.
This is from a press release of the Diocese of Rockville Centre. This is just the beginning…. of the press release, that is.
DIOCESE OF ROCKVILLE CENTRE
OFFICE OF COMMUNICATIONS
For … Continue reading
This is from my friend Jeffrey Tucker’s The Chant Cafe
Last February (it seems like years ago), InsideCatholic ran my article called Pay to Pray: The Church’s Simony Problem. Based on years of thought and research, I took aim at … Continue reading
The Italian daily La Stampa had an article yesterday about the US diplomatic documents leaked on the internet. In this case, they concerned the papal conclave of 2005.
The highlights of the article.
Before the election the staff of the US embassy … Continue reading
His Hermeneuticalness offered a story about modern martyrs on his blog recommending that we read more about them.
To begin, here is what he posted at his place:
Theresa Marie Moreau at Veritas Est Libertas writes of the story of the … Continue reading
I met with my literary group tonight. We read some Yeats and G.M. Hopkins.
I did the cooking for the meal to follow.
Tonight we were in Rome.
And I am pleased that what we had tonight tasted precisely as you would … Continue reading
I haven’t posted a sermon in quite some time.
Here is a Sunday offering.
I wonder about this one…
A billboard in New Jersey is promoting atheism by asking motorists to question certain holiday traditions and to “celebrate reason,” MyFoxNY.com reports.
The billboard, near the Lincoln Tunnel in North Bergen, N.J., depicts a … Continue reading
From a reader:
Asia Bibi, a resident of Ittanwali in the eastern province of
Punjab, was working at a local farm when the Muslim women with whom she was working called her an infidel and urged her to convert to Islam. Bibi … Continue reading
Advent remains a penitential season, but unlike that of Lent in many respects. I think perhaps we can call Advent a season of penitential joy, or joyful penitence. It is a time to prepare for the Lord’s Coming.. and He … Continue reading
Hell’s Bible (aka The New York Times) had this story yesterday. It is written by David Gibson, David Gibson, a writer for PoliticsDaily.com and author of “The Rule of Benedict: Pope Benedict XVI and His Battle With the … Continue reading