Search Fr. Z’s Blog
SHOPPING ONLINE? Please, always come here first!
Enter Amazon through my link. Use the search bar below. Fr Z will get a small percentage of what you spend.
Here's Fr. Z's "catholic" search for Amazon: US HERE - UK HERE And you do need a Kindle! - HERE
“This blog is like a fusion of the Baroque ‘salon’ with its well-tuned harpsichord around which polite society gathered for entertainment and edification and, on the other hand, a Wild West “saloon” with its out-of-tune piano and swinging doors, where everyone has a gun and something to say. Nevertheless, we try to point our discussions back to what it is to be Catholic in this increasingly difficult age, to love God, and how to get to heaven.” – Fr. Z
Coat of Arms by D Burkart
Send Snail Mail to Fr. Z
YOUR RECENT COMMENTS
- Augustine Thompson O.P.: Dear Fr. Z., It’s interestin g that CNN’ s report on this basically says the book is “lig ht on verifiable accounts and heavy on innuendo 8221; and that...
- Spinmamma: Thank you, dear Father Z, for being proof in action of the truth of your words. A sobering rant, but inspiring to love more our fellows who struggle with their own burdens, and embrace...
- rally1042: Not a rant Father, but a clear thoughtful , heartfelt explanatio n, with prayerful advise for your brother priests. Thank you. My innermost being is so easily enraged by this subject...
- Fr. Kelly: Lurker 59 I think you missed Fr. Z’s point. If we use the term “The Divine Liturgy 221; when referring to the Mass, then how will we refer to Benedictio n, Public Celebr...
- JabbaPapa: Father Z : To all these claims of a high percentage of queer clergy I say B as in B, S as in S I came to a pretty much identical conclusion earlier today, looking at some French secular...
- WmHesch: @Augustine Thompson Due to WWII, there certainly was some Latin illiteracy in the years before the Council 230; some of the Orders mitigated Latin proficienc y because 1st year semina...
- Kathleen10: Thank you for this, Fr. Z. This is so true. As a layperson, it has become obvious that whatever VII was intended to be by some, it has helped facilitate a departure from Catholicis m as...
- gvhorwitz: I get the sneaking suspicion that this is nothing more than throwing the bishops a bone prior to this upcoming February 2019 meeting. I’m sure that there will be no mention of the fact...
- teomatteo: Which one? I’m not sure but thanks for the info. I saw it in Chicago which stirred a memory from me and i’m sure you are tired of this thread. I just think that if, if Mr...
- Lurker 59: Suggestion : Let us use the term “The Divine Liturgy 221; when speaking of the Mass. [Let us in the Western Church says “Mas s” when referring to Mass. When we talk...
- SKAY: Has Pope Francis commented on this?
- Fr. John Zuhlsdorf: teomatteo says: Vermeer’s ‘The Scale’R 30;Van Gogh’s ‘Bedroom in Arles’ Vermeer 217;s Woman With A Scale has religious overtones. Behind the woman is a painting on the...
- Fr. Kelly: The timing — at least — on this stinks to high heaven.
- Fr. Kelly: Before we get too too excited about the definitive character of this punishment , let’ s consider the case of Ernesto Cardenal. John Paul II suspended him a divinis in 1979 because...
- Fallibilissimo: @Grant M Thanks for that! That’ ;s very interestin g. I have to look up more about this, you’ ve tickled my curiosity.
- Gab: I think I could use a tipple of Tanqueray right about now. No ice, of course.
- Augustine Thompson O.P.: I don’ t think the the later liturgical career of an editor (McManus) is any reason to reject this book. [Who did that?!?] That would be the ancient ad hominem...
- WmHesch: What’s the “Blessing and Dedication of a Child” for, or where would it fit in? Seems like something cool to do when they’re 4 or 5 and might remember it. There was a Blessing of Child...
- robtbrown: Abp ViganoR 17; is of course correct about the shoddy theologica l formation involved in all the problems of priests and religious. The problem is that the liturgy continues to...
- robtbrown: Bellarmino says It is essentiall y the inmate running the asylum Perhaps better: The monkeys running the zoo* * With a grateful nod to HLMencken
- robtbrown: Unwilling, Recommendi ng Tanqueray is another strike against Francis, as far as I am concerned. It represents much of what was wrong during the Counter Reformatio n Church. Read Garrig...
- Charles E Flynn: When an image from the works of Gustave Doré is used to introduce an article, you know that ahead lies at least one weighty theme.
- Kathleen10: Thank you to Abp. Vigano for stating the truth and asking the questions the poor laity might ask if given the opportunit y. One point, and it doesn̵ 7;t seem minor. He said the...
- teomatteo: Benedict Joseph, your responce to TonyO was interestin g to me. I have had the opportunit y to see Vermeer 217;s ‘The Scale̵ 7; at the Detroit Institute up close (as per Fr...
- Charles E Flynn: Sardine bones are a source of calcium: http://www .eatingwel l.com/arti cle/15730/ the-1-food -you-shoul d-eat-and- probably-d ont/
CLICK and say your daily offerings!
- The Rome “summit”, “gay” priests, and #sodoclericalism – Wherein Fr. Z rants.
- Fr. Rutler’s Weekly Column
- BOOK RECEIVED: 1962 Parish Ritual – HUZZAH!
- Archbp. Viganò offers thoughts on The Present Crisis before the Rome “Summit”
- Suffering and attacks on the Church’s “Eldest Daughter”
- Mister McCarrick
- Fr. Z’s Kitchen: Shiny little fish!
- Interesting observation by @CCPecknold about laicization of McCarrick
- WDTPRS – Septuagesima Sunday: PRE-LENT BEGINS!
- Of Flaring Suns and Starry Nights
- A quick book plug: A Catholic Introduction to the Bible: The Old Testament
- Opportunity: R.I.P.
- POLL: Prayers after Mass
- “Know also this, that, in the last days, shall come dangerous times.”
- Do you know priests who are struggling, under attack? Terrific movement: Seven Sisters Apostolate
- Movement in the causes of Bl. John Henry Newman and Card. József Mindszenty
- ASK FATHER: During sick call, tea and biscuits before administering Communion
- Another look at Catholic/Islamic statement: “diversity of religions … are willed by God in His wisdom”
- Your Good News
- “Rumors that a certain prelate threatens his orthodox priests with institutionalization or laicization are not rumors… they are truth”
- BREAKING: Rubrics and color-blindness
- Card. Kasper attacks Card. Müller who publicly proclaimed Catholic doctrine
- Thoughts about ‘ad orientem’ worship and priests being bullied
- How many baptist pastors are married?
- 10 February – St. José Sánchez del Río, Martyr
- Fr. Z’s Kitchen: Coda alla Vaccinara with digressions into Roman stuff, like a new old confraternity
- TRANS-NEPTUNIAN COMET APPROACHES EARTH
- Your Sunday Sermon Notes
- PODCAzT 170: Card. Müller – Manifesto of Faith: “Let not your heart be troubled!”
Let us pray…
Grant unto thy Church, we beseech Thee, O merciful God, that She, being gathered together by the Holy Ghost, may be in no wise troubled by attack from her foes. O God, who by sin art offended and by penance pacified, mercifully regard the prayers of Thy people making supplication unto Thee,and turn away the scourges of Thine anger which we deserve for our sins. Almighty and Everlasting God, in whose Hand are the power and the government of every realm: look down upon and help the Christian people that the heathen nations who trust in the fierceness of their own might may be crushed by the power of thine Arm. Through our Lord Jesus Christ, Thy Son, who liveth and reigneth with Thee in the unity of the Holy Ghost, God, world without end. R. Amen.
This blog has to earn its keep!
PLEASE subscribe if it is useful.
That way I have steady income I can plan on, and you wind up regularly on my list of benefactors for whom I pray and for whom I periodically say Holy Mass.
For a one time donation...
I set up a
CONTINUE TO GIVE
account, which functions rather like PayPal. Some of you use it. Here is a QCode you can use with your smart phones. Try it!
Also, to receive a link to donate via Continue To Give using your smart phone SEND MESSAGE:
4827563 TO: 715-803-4772 (USA)
Some donations also come through CHASE. That works well. I don't think they take any percentage as fees.
New miscellaneous releases and events
Do you want to show some appreciation?
Yes, Fr. Z is taking ads…
A great hymnal…
Because it matters what children read…
I carry one of these super-strong rosaries in my spare mag pouch! The Swiss Guards have them too!
My "challenge coin" for my 25th anniversary of ordination in 2016.
Want one? I do exchanges with military and LEOs, etc. and you can make a donation.
Because you don’t know when you are going to need to move fast or get along without the supermarket…
PLEASE RESPOND. Pretty pleeeease?Loading ...
WDTPRS POLLLoading ...
Fr. Z’s stuff is everywhere
Help support Fr. Z’s Gospel of Life work at no cost to you. Do you need a Real Estate Agent? Calling these people is the FIRST thing you should do!
GREAT causes to support
Help Monks in Wyoming (coffee – UPDATED LINK) and Norcia (beer) and the wonderful "Soap Sisters" of Summit, NJ!
Please follow me on Twitter!
If you travel internationally, this is a super useful gizmo for your mobile internet data. I use one. If you get one through my link, I get data rewards.
Daily Archives: 1 December 2010
Here is an offering from the Catholic Sentinel, the twice monthly publication of Oregon Catholic Press, the official newspaper of the Archdiocese of Portland. Rev. Mr. Cummings answers a question. Why is the Latin Mass not offered more? [Scottish-born, Irish-trained] … Continue reading
I have a hard time trusting the press when reporting things such as this. I am inclined to believe what LifeSite reports. Still, I think this requires additional explanations. I thought that the Russian Orthodox Church and the Catholic Church … Continue reading
I noted at the site of the young Papist that Apple decided to remove the Manhattan Declaration from their app store. I noted at the same site that the obviously illegitimate “catholic” group “Catholics For Equality” – a pro-homosexual organization … Continue reading
Here are a few recent posts you might not want to miss. Card. Ratzinger wanted a revision of penal section of Code in 1988 QUAERITUR: using really old Holy Water Do your sins bug you? QUAERITUR: Hanukkah Benedict’s Christ is … Continue reading
Over at NLM there is a very useful entry, which also asks from some help from people who are competent in German. At the German site of Vatican Radio there was an interview with the Secretary of my old haunt … Continue reading
My friend John L. Allen, Jr., the nearly-ubiquitous fair-minded columnist sadly still writing for the NCR has an interesting piece you will want to read with care. Keep in mind that while “smoking gun” is usually a negative image, this … Continue reading
The new blog software is more exacting about selecting comments for the moderation queue. Don’t freak out if your comments sometimes wind up in moderation. Then again, something I flag people for moderation. There is crazy finch traffic at the … Continue reading
From a reader: Retrieving some books from storage this afternoon, I came across a bottle of holy water that I filled at the shrine of Our Lady of Walsingham a *long* time ago — more than 20 years ago. The … Continue reading
Been to confession lately? Preachers often reach for analogies to help people understand spiritual realities. Here is a good one, picked up from Ironic Catholic. If you are squeamish, read this anyway whether it is fiction or not. New York, … Continue reading
From a reader: Is it okay for us to observe Hanukkah in anyway? It think it depends on what you mean by “observe”. We can sure watch with respect what Jews do at this time of year. After all, the … Continue reading
My friend Samuel Gregg of the Acton Institute is one of the smartest writers, commentators I know. He has a very good piece on the blog of the Acton Institute about Pope Benedict’s book-length interview which goes beyond the Condom … Continue reading
Advent is a season of preparation for the Second Coming of the Lord as well as celebration of the First Coming, the Nativity of the Lord. Many include in their observance of Advent many of the trimmings and trappings of … Continue reading
Sandro Magister, Italian Vaticanista, has a thought provoking piece today which deals with criticisms of Pope Benedict XVI and what he said offered by his supporters. I’ll include here just the first part. Go to Magister’s site for the whole … Continue reading