HAM RADIO W9FRZ STATUS
Search Fr. Z’s Blog
SHOPPING ONLINE? Please, always come here first!
I had to change the way that people go to amazon to buy things because... you know... why make it easy?. So, just click the link below. Once you're in, you're good to shop.
Try AmazonFresh Free Trial
Shop Amazon Gold Box - New Deals. Everyday
Shop Amazon Gift Cards - Instant Delivery or Free One-Day Shipping
Try Prime Discounted Monthly Offering
And you do need a Kindle! - HERE
About this blog…
“This blog is like a fusion of the Baroque ‘salon’ with its well-tuned harpsichord around which polite society gathered for entertainment and edification and, on the other hand, a Wild West “saloon” with its out-of-tune piano and swinging doors, where everyone has a gun and something to say. Nevertheless, we try to point our discussions back to what it is to be Catholic in this increasingly difficult age, to love God, and how to get to heaven.” – Fr. Z
Coat of Arms by D Burkart
Do you want to show some appreciation?
Send Snail Mail to Fr. Z
Fr. Z’s Blog is a Founding Member of…
YOUR RECENT COMMENTS
- Pearl: A sick call set is our standard wedding gift – whether the couple is married in the Church or not. Usually, the one we give is a little fancier. We have my in-lawR 17;s sick call...
- ArthurH: Never tries sweet grits: Sounds tsaty-deca dent! When I have them, grits with an egg-over-e asy or two on top is my more common version for breakfast, with, of course, some bacon, and...
- HvonBlumenthal: The board game is clearly something to do with the Imperial postal system which was operated by the Thurn und Taxis family. We have yellow postboxes thanks to them, and the flag of...
- hwriggles4: Speaking of southern breakfast cooking (grits are a staple at Waffle House), it wasn’ ;t until about 2004 I noticed on an east coast trip that Creamed Chipped Beef on Toast for...
- Legisperitus: The way to do grits is cheese grits. The grits provide texture, the cheese flavor.
- Suudy: You are still doing grits wrong! A little brown sugar, and let the sugar and molasses melt, then some milk over the top. Heavenly breakfast fare. I reserve the cheese and grits or butter on...
- Mariana2: I had been wondering if we would ever hear from dear Supertradm um again. Very sorry to read this, but daily chaplets of the Divine Mercy coming up from today.
- ArthurH: We have “Ano inting of the sick” ; every first Tuesday at both morning and evening Masses. As an extreme outlier survivor of a bone marrow cancer, I am well past my expec...
- Semper Gumby: Benedictus : Thank you for the CWR article on the Living Martyr of Albania. You raise a good point about “syr upy sermons, 8221; though no doubt you are aware of the richn...
- Bryan D. Boyle: I offer the remaining 8 days of the novena I’m celebratin g to Good St Anne for your intention, Supertradm om.
- Kent Wendler: I ask for this sacrament before I have any medical procedure which requires general anesthesia . My understand ing is that the benefit is not time dependent, that it is not necess...
- oldCatholigirl: Praying for Supertradm um and her son.
- philothea.distracted: Oh, I remember Supertradm um! I will pray!
- RosaryRose: Praying for you Supertradm um and for your son. I will be bold and pray for a miracle healing, God willing. We need your wisdom and strength. If God is calling you now, I pray for a...
- Beltway Catholic: @maryh, I appreciate your comments. So much of my concern is this: there are a lot of sins that can sink our souls. And it is not squishines s on the part of a preacher if he...
- maryh: @Beltway Catholic: Your comment about the Pharisee gives me the idea that you think the original poster, and maybe other followers here, don’ t wrestle with sins of the flesh, or...
- capchoirgirl: Hilltop: I’m reminded of My Cousin Vinny̵ 1;no respecting Southerner would eat instant grits!
- mabvet: Grits̷ 0;…n um num! As a child I was fed calves brains, scrambled eggs and grits with biscuits. Best.Break fast.Ever! Sweet home Alabama!
- Kevin: Anyone have a review or recommenda tion on the book, “The Eucharist& #8221; by Lawrence Feingold that is shown on the last photo of the book table?
- Robin: I would be interested to know what Scott Hahn had to say about the TLM. And, since the main point of interest here seems to be about grits, I have to say, as a Northerner , I ate them when I...
- Eric: I read To Quell the Terror. It is excellent. It made me mark on my calendar a reminder of their feast day. Also it was written by an Eastern Orthodox author. Exceptiona l.
- GM Thobe: Fr. Z, Around here (decidedly not the South) we have something called grits that are completely different. Down in Cincinnati it is still called by its German name of Goetta. These far...
- Beltway Catholic: Those are terrible sins that indeed cry out to heaven for vengeance. But there is more ordinary evil that we overlook. Unforgiven ess will be met with condemnati on (Mt 6:15;...
- Geoffrey: I remember Supertradm um. You are in my prayers. Memorare 8230;
- Anita Moore, O.P.(lay): Just when I was beginning to think there might be at least ONE man-made structure in West Virginia NOT named after Robert Byrd… ;.
CLICK and say your daily offerings!
- Sick-Call Sets and You
- Day 2 – St. Paul Center Priesthood Conference
- 17 July 1794: “Mother, permission to die?”
- URGENT ACTION ITEM: Note from long-time reader who is dying
- 16 July 1969 – #Apollo11 and Our Lady of Mt Carmel
- Day 1 – St. Paul Center Priesthood Conference
- Mark Shea is sad because seminarians are Catholic
- Amazon Prime Day Discounts
- My View For Awhile: To the East and to priests
- Good VIDEO for people who aren’t familiar with the TLM or with our traditions
- ASK FATHER: Sex before Communion
- Your Sunday Sermon Notes – GO TO CONFESSION! – VIDEO
- 13 July: St. Ezra (Esdras), Old Testament Prophet and some spectacular baroque musical weirdness
- SSPX video of their amazing new US church project.
- BOOK: In Praise of the Tridentine Mass and of Latin, Language of the Church
- WDTPRS – 15th Ordinary Sunday: Too far right or too far left, we wind up in the ditch in the dark
- “Damn!”, quoth I. “That’s the spirit.” Coasties getting the job done.
- How credible is “credible” in allegations against priests?
- Tour Talk – #TDF2019 @Le_Tour Stage 6
- What the ‘c’atholic Left is up to on Twitter
- ASK FATHER: Should Catholic parents attend wedding of daughter outside the Church?
- ASK FATHER: “Funeral Liturgy Outside Mass”
- @Church_Militant on the public lynching of Fr. Eduard Perrone
- Really old frozen permafrost critters revived. What could possibly go wrong?
- Tour Talk – 2019 Tour de France
- The Church Militant and You
- William F. Buckley and Fulton Sheen on Firing Line! 1970
- BOOK: The Anti-Mary Exposed: Rescuing the Culture from Toxic Femininity
- ACTION ITEM! Help a traditional deacon get to priesthood. Watch marvelous Fulton Sheen video of 1950 Roman Holy Year
- 07/07/07 – 12th Anniversary of Summorum Pontificum – Wherein Fr. Z rants.
Let us pray…
Grant unto thy Church, we beseech Thee, O merciful God, that She, being gathered together by the Holy Ghost, may be in no wise troubled by attack from her foes. O God, who by sin art offended and by penance pacified, mercifully regard the prayers of Thy people making supplication unto Thee,and turn away the scourges of Thine anger which we deserve for our sins. Almighty and Everlasting God, in whose Hand are the power and the government of every realm: look down upon and help the Christian people that the heathen nations who trust in the fierceness of their own might may be crushed by the power of thine Arm. Through our Lord Jesus Christ, Thy Son, who liveth and reigneth with Thee in the unity of the Holy Ghost, God, world without end. R. Amen.
This blog has to earn its keep!
PLEASE subscribe if it is useful.
That way I have steady income I can plan on, and you wind up regularly on my list of benefactors for whom I pray and for whom I periodically say Holy Mass.
For a one time donation...
I set up a
CONTINUE TO GIVE
account, which functions rather like PayPal. Some of you use it. Here is a QCode you can use with your smart phones. Try it!
Also, to receive a link to donate via Continue To Give using your smart phone SEND MESSAGE:
4827563 TO: 715-803-4772 (USA)
Some donations also come through CHASE. That works well. I don't think they take any percentage as fees.
Yes, Fr. Z is taking ads…
A great hymnal…
Because it matters what children read…
I carry one of these super-strong rosaries in my spare mag pouch! The Swiss Guards have them too!
My "challenge coin" for my 25th anniversary of ordination in 2016.
Want one? I do exchanges with military and LEOs, etc. and you can make a donation.
PLEASE RESPOND. Pretty pleeeease?Loading ...
WDTPRS POLLLoading ...
Fr. Z’s stuff is everywhere
Help support Fr. Z’s Gospel of Life work at no cost to you. Do you need a Real Estate Agent? Calling these people is the FIRST thing you should do!
GREAT causes to support
Help Monks in Wyoming (coffee – UPDATED LINK) and Norcia (beer) and the wonderful "Soap Sisters" of Summit, NJ!
Please follow me on Twitter!
If you travel internationally, this is a super useful gizmo for your mobile internet data. I use one. If you get one through my link, I get data rewards.
Nota bene: I do not answer these numbers or this Skype address. You won't get me "live". I check for messages regularly.
020 8133 4535
Daily Archives: 16 December 2010
Via CMR: Abortion giant Planned Parenthood released its 2008-2009 Annual Report. And the news is horrific. Red State reports: Behind the colorful graphics and happy faces is a stark number: Planned Parenthood received $363 million in government grants and contracts … Continue reading
Time Magazine chooses, usually poorly, some “person of the year”. Time this year included Benedict XVI among “people who matter”, indicating his “Highs” and “Lows”. Time usually gets things about the Catholic Church wrong. I suspect they do that on … Continue reading
The European Court of Human Rights seems to think that abortion is a human right. From The Catholic Herald: European court rules that Ireland’s abortion laws breach human rights By Michael Kelly on Thursday, 16 December 2010 The European Court … Continue reading
Did you ever think to read that here? President Obama’s approval rating may be at an all time low, but today for me he ticked up a notch! POTUS signed a critically important world-changing piece of high impact legislation of … Continue reading
From a reader: Under stress, my mind goes blank. I find Confession really stressful, so therefore can not mentally absorb the advice of the priest nor remember hardly anything he says afterwards. I feel I am missing a lot of … Continue reading
I know we must suspend judgment… but… From His Hermeneuticalness: I had prepared a post to put up when the Vatican Bollettino announced that the new Apostolic Nuncio to Great Britain is Archbishop Antonio Mennini. However, the Tablet has now … Continue reading
My digital thermometer, has died. I thought it just needed a new battery. It served me well for many years.
From a reader: There is a parish in our diocese that offers a rather unique penance service with no individual confession offered. A penance service is held and people simply file up in a line, say to the priest “I … Continue reading
This Collect was in the ancient Gelasian Sacramentary. In the 1962MR it was one of the prayers for Ember Saturday of Advent. The cutting, snipping experts of Fr. Bugnini’s Consilium decided in their wisdom to add a word, salutari, for … Continue reading
I know that some people out there, in the real world or the blogosphere… certainly no one here… writes as if she had magisterial authority. She may consider herself to have the same authority as, say, popes or bishops. You … Continue reading
A reader sent me a link to a blog I had never seen, Priest’s Secretary for an especially irritating entry. The entry wasn’t irritating because the blog itself is loony. Rather, the story recounted in the entry was loony, and … Continue reading
Many Old Testament figures are accounted as saints by the Catholic Church. Today is the commemoration of St. Haggai, one of the twelve prophets of the Old Testament. Here is his entry in the Roman Martyrology: 1. Commemoratio sancti Aggaei, … Continue reading