Not to be missed…
Search Fr. Z’s Blog
SHOPPING ONLINE? Please, always come here first!
Enter Amazon through my link. Use the search bar below. Fr Z will get a small percentage of what you spend.
Here's Fr. Z's "catholic" search for Amazon: US HERE - UK HERE And you do need a Kindle! - HERE
“This blog is like a fusion of the Baroque ‘salon’ with its well-tuned harpsichord around which polite society gathered for entertainment and edification and, on the other hand, a Wild West “saloon” with its out-of-tune piano and swinging doors, where everyone has a gun and something to say. Nevertheless, we try to point our discussions back to what it is to be Catholic in this increasingly difficult age, to love God, and how to get to heaven.” – Fr. Z
Coat of Arms by D Burkart
Do you want to show some appreciation?
Send Snail Mail to Fr. Z
YOUR RECENT COMMENTS
- Lauren35: Our Altar Guild has core groups that do weekly cleaning, flowers, laundry, etc. For Ember Days, we have major church cleaning over the course of a day or two. Once a year (maybe twice?)...
- catholiccomelately: Former Protestant here, who learned about linens and altar care at her motherR 17;s knee. And former ordained Lutheran woman, who learned about women̵ 7;s groups from...
- Diana: LOL @Alice! Stay away from the TidePods! I’ll learn to live with Sodality if I must. It’s just one of those words like “sla cks” and “Ant ietam̶ 1; that...
- KAS: Well, Space Weather Woman on Youtube has been expanding on the sorts of reports she does, and doing more talking about when the situation is going to be better or worse for GPS and HAM radio....
- Closettraddy: On Holy Saturday, my little parish had a Confession al booth installed. Years ago the parish was wreckovate d – Kneelers torn out, high altar dismantled and sold off for art...
- teachermom24: “Oka y, what are the solutions to this scenario? Altar and ROSARY Society? Altar and ADORATION Society? 8221; Yes. To keep any group of women in the church from turning in on...
- colospgs: If someone feels hurt by the truth, then the problem lies with them. It’s not the obligation of the proclaimer of the truth to ease the pain. One can try, of course, but there...
- John Grammaticus: Sounds like Tywin Lannister to the core. “And who are you the proud Lord said, that I should bow so low, only a cat in a different coat, the only truth I know” ;R...
- beelady: One more thought – this idea may be better received if the Servers Guild is structured the same way.
- beelady: *letting the Holy Spirit decide
- beelady: I believe that the only way to avoid the Guild becoming a clique or a club for a certain group of women is to make a list of what needs to be done and then draw lots for who is assigned to...
- CatholicHistoryNerd: If you want a variety of women to volunteer, it’s important to make boundaries and expectatio ns clear. Otherwise the group becomes a clique that one cannot join without...
- Patrick71: My traditiona l parish celebrated our first Holy Week as a parish in a big tent that seats 500. Two adult baptisms and half dozen confirmati ons and first communions .
- The Egyptian: ordinary catholic said How can I not wonder at what is going on with our supposedly so-called shepherds when they can NOT articulate the Truth of the Church This article says it...
- NancyA: Hello, Fr. Z! I’m a member of my parish Altar Society and, as another person responded, every woman in our parish is considered a member, but the real work is accomplish ed by about a dozen...
- Alice: My parish doesn̵ 7;t have an Altar and Rosary Society, but there are women who are charge of various things from funeral dinners to church cleaning. It’s a larger parish, so when...
- Diana: My parish has monthly “Lad ies Sodality Meetings 8221;, after First Saturday Mass and Adoration. Father gives a talk and then whoever can stay to clean does, although I underst...
- Chris Garton-Zavesky: Perhaps Tobin̵ 7;s words should be “ina dmissible& #8221;?
- Chris Garton-Zavesky: Pre- 55 Holy Week. Solemn High liturgies for Palm Sunday, Maundy Thursday, Good Friday and the Vigil. High Mass (only) on Easter morning. My choir director made the graci...
- Peter Stuart: Man’ s a Cardinal! Who am I to judge? This is why I bailed my struggling SSA self out to the SSPX a year ago: enough BS is enough.
- Tom of John of God: Ibimus Minneapoli tani ad Orientem, Pater! Perhaps a Solemn High Mass on Corpus Christi Thursday with the new set of white vestments, followed by a twilight candlelit Euchar...
- Glennonite: My retired priest (Father “Gam eshow-host ”) will give me Communion while I’m on my knees, But he usually “cut s” the side of my mouth with the host (as a...
- Fr. John Zuhlsdorf: Tom of John of God says: Latin Mass Society of Madison bussing on over to join Una Voce Minnesota I like the idea. Then again, perhaps Una Voce MN could turn to the East and...
- chantgirl: For technical training, the Williamsbu rg School of Needlework offers classes on embroidery and mastering altar linens. A friend took one of their week-long courses: https://ww w.wmbgn...
- Tom of John of God: You know, Father Z… in the Treaty of Paris of 1763 France ceded the territory west of the Mississipp i to Spain. I’m no canon lawyer (famous last words) but surely...
CLICK and say your daily offerings!
- Your Good News
- A lesson in “selective aggression”
- A Cardinal on the ropes of logic
- PASCHALCAzT 50 – Easter Wednesday: You are a holy seed, a new colony of bees, the very flower of my ministry
- Fr. Z seeks advice about women
- A few Easter Vigil moments – UPDATES
- News from Norcia! Benedictines, beauty and beer
- Card. Piacenza to priests: “Wanna be a modern priest? HEAR CONFESSIONS!” Whereupon Fr. Z really rants.
- PASCHALCAzT 49 – Easter Tuesday: Christ won it, but we can lose it
- CQ CQ CQ – #HamRadio Tuesday: ZedNet reminder
- ASK FATHER: A 12 year old asks ” #EarthDay is coming up…”
- ASK FATHER: How to receive Communion on the tongue?
- ASK FATHER: Father used the blessing for a train when blessing my car
- PASCHALCAzT 48 – Easter Monday: Year by year by year
- Wonderful wonderful photo
- It pays to be attentive, especially when you are really tired!
- Your Easter Sunday Sermon Notes
- VIDEO: Fr. Murray on bombings, Easter and our Catholic identity
- PASCHALCAzT 47 – Easter Sunday: Leave the shrouds in the tomb
- ACTION ITEM: Help for a traditional Catholic seminarian continues! – UPDATED… for EASTER!
- Benedict XVI on the Paschal Candle
- WDTPRS and AUDIO: The Exsultet – explained, translated, sung
- JUST TOO COOL: Fr. Z kudos to Our Lady’s Bees! They survived the fire #NDParis
- LENTCAzT 2019 46 – Holy Saturday: The Harrowing of Hell
- POLL: Foot-washing on Holy Thursday where you are – ORDINARY FORM
- “Behold, I make all things new.”
- #GoodFriday and You: Prayers for Holy Souls in Purgatory and Plenary Indulgences
- STATIONS OF THE CROSS – Audio from Fr. Z
- Good Friday Reminder: Fasting, Abstaining, and You
- LENTCAzT 2019 45 – Good Friday: The ultimate pulpit
Let us pray…
Grant unto thy Church, we beseech Thee, O merciful God, that She, being gathered together by the Holy Ghost, may be in no wise troubled by attack from her foes. O God, who by sin art offended and by penance pacified, mercifully regard the prayers of Thy people making supplication unto Thee,and turn away the scourges of Thine anger which we deserve for our sins. Almighty and Everlasting God, in whose Hand are the power and the government of every realm: look down upon and help the Christian people that the heathen nations who trust in the fierceness of their own might may be crushed by the power of thine Arm. Through our Lord Jesus Christ, Thy Son, who liveth and reigneth with Thee in the unity of the Holy Ghost, God, world without end. R. Amen.
This blog has to earn its keep!
PLEASE subscribe if it is useful.
That way I have steady income I can plan on, and you wind up regularly on my list of benefactors for whom I pray and for whom I periodically say Holy Mass.
For a one time donation...
I set up a
CONTINUE TO GIVE
account, which functions rather like PayPal. Some of you use it. Here is a QCode you can use with your smart phones. Try it!
Also, to receive a link to donate via Continue To Give using your smart phone SEND MESSAGE:
4827563 TO: 715-803-4772 (USA)
Some donations also come through CHASE. That works well. I don't think they take any percentage as fees.
Yes, Fr. Z is taking ads…
A great hymnal…
Because it matters what children read…
I carry one of these super-strong rosaries in my spare mag pouch! The Swiss Guards have them too!
My "challenge coin" for my 25th anniversary of ordination in 2016.
Want one? I do exchanges with military and LEOs, etc. and you can make a donation.
Because you don’t know when you are going to need to move fast or get along without the supermarket…
PLEASE RESPOND. Pretty pleeeease?Loading ...
WDTPRS POLLLoading ...
Fr. Z’s stuff is everywhere
Help support Fr. Z’s Gospel of Life work at no cost to you. Do you need a Real Estate Agent? Calling these people is the FIRST thing you should do!
GREAT causes to support
Help Monks in Wyoming (coffee – UPDATED LINK) and Norcia (beer) and the wonderful "Soap Sisters" of Summit, NJ!
Please follow me on Twitter!
If you travel internationally, this is a super useful gizmo for your mobile internet data. I use one. If you get one through my link, I get data rewards.
Daily Archives: 20 December 2010
There is a POLL at the end! Where will you be for Christmas this year and at which Mass do you plan to assist? For Christmas this year, I will again be in New York City to celebrate the Miracle … Continue reading
First… RADIO SABINA has some music for Advent and some views of the feeders. There is also a chaplet of the Rosary in Latin that cycles through. Then… may I ask you to follow me on Twitter if you don’t … Continue reading
From a reader: My wife and I this year were going to attend Midnight Mass this year. My father was going to stay at our house to watch our 2 and 1 year olds since they will be sleeping. Are … Continue reading
In a comment under another entry, a reader asked: I have been told by some older folks that this was a very common practice at all Masses in years past. Is this no longer allowed in the NO Mass? Did … Continue reading
I had to share with you this story from the UK’s best Catholic weekly, The Catholic Herald. I am not sure if this is available on the CH webpage. I found it the front page of the current print edition. … Continue reading
Putting our problems as Catholics in the modernist world in perspective, here is a story from CNA. Priest says Muslim extremists want to rid Middle East of Christians Cairo, Egypt, Dec 19, 2010 / 06:02 pm (CNA).- An Egyptian priest … Continue reading
The Motley Monk, who is a pretty good cook, has 10 tips for your Holiday Cheer and Dining. We are instructed that these rules are the “essence of Christmas dinner” at his place. Always avoid carrot sticks. Anyone who puts … Continue reading
Over at Stella Borealis there is a good, common-sensical post which has … well… good common sense. These things have been said here at WDTPRS before, but repetita iuvant! The biggest abuse at almost every parish is the nearly 100% … Continue reading
The Holy Father’s 2005 Christmas greetings address to the Roman Curia was one of the most important of his still short pontificate. He has now delivered his 2010 address. It serves, among other things, as a kind of “state of … Continue reading
Our friends at Rorate (happy anniversary to them) posted about a conference on traditional forms of liturgical worship held in France. The great Msgr. Nichola Bux spoke. I have written of Msgr. Bux before. He is a liturgical scholar who, … Continue reading
Perpend and be amazed. With the help of APOD. And read here. Sometime after sunset tonight, [The eclipse begins on Tuesday morning, Dec. 21st, at 1:33 am EST (Monday, Dec. 20th, at 10:33 pm PST)] the Moon will go dark. … Continue reading