Merry Christmas everyone!

There is time for the complicated, and there is time for the simple.

Tonight we celebrate the moment in history when our God, entirely transcendent, lowered Himself to take our human nature into a bond with his divine nature that could never be broken for eternity.

He was born into this world to save our human race because our whole human race had sinned and we could not be reconciled by our own actions alone, no matter what we did.

We needed a Savior like us in all ways but sin.

Tonight we celebrate the birth of our Savior.  There it is.

Dear readers, you are a real gift to me.

Merry Christmas, everyone!

This entry was posted in Wherein Fr. Z Rants. Bookmark the permalink.

98 Responses to Merry Christmas everyone!

1. Midwest St. Michael says:

“God bless us all. Every one!”

Tiny Tim – “A Christmas Carol”

2. Merry Christmas Father Z!

Send my love and hugs to Penjing!

Can’t wait to see what scrumptious meal you prepared….YUM!

3. xsosdid says:

Merry Christmas Father!

4. Jack Hughes says:

Merry Christmas to you Father and to all your Readers

5. thymos says:

Merry Christmas, Father. I cooked your Boeuf this Christmas Eve (no tasting the tantalizing meat – Friday abstinence), and I look forward to warming it up slowly and eating it with the fam tomorrow! (Now, can someone make a “Buy thymos a le creuset” widget for me?)

6. PghCath says:

The warmest of Christmas greetings to you, Father!

7. mpalardy says:

You’re a real gift to us too, Father. Thanks for all your good work over the year. God bless you and Merry Christmas!

8. Andreas says:

Dear Father Z. and All! Wishing you a Gesegnetes Weihnacht und Guten Rutsch im Neues Jahr! Have a Blessed Christmas and “good slide” (as we say here in Austria) into the new year!

9. catholicmidwest says:

Merry Christmas, Fr. Z.

10. cothrige says:

Merry Christmas, Fr. Z. Thank you for everything you do.

11. iudicame says:

Merry Christmas Fr. Z!

m

12. Paulo says:

Merry Christmas, Father Z!
    And Merry Christmas to all readers and regular posters!
    Feliz Natal!

13. bookworm says:

Just got back from my first “real” Midnight Mass in many years, amid a perfect Bedford Falls-like Christmas snowfall.

Merry Christmas to all, and to all, a good night (what’s left of it) :-)

14. It doesn’t have to be complicated, does it.

Merry Christmas!

15. Liz says:

Merry Christmas, Father. I prayed for you at mass tonight. It was so beautiful and I felt so joyful. Somehow, I forgot about being joyful! Thanks for everything. I really appreciate what I learn from your blog and your readers.

16. GrogSmash says:

Deo Gratias Father Z! You’ve been a real blessing this year! Merry Christmas to you!

17. MikeM says:

Merry Christmas, Father!

God bless you, and thanks for the great work you do which has helped me grow closer to Christ and His Church!

18. Faithful Sinner says:

Merry Christmas Father Z and All! May you all have a Blessed Christmas! AMDG
    I just had one of the best Christmas gifts I’ve ever had in my life! I’m so giddy, I can’t sleep! I just jumped in bed at 12:30ish am after stuffing some stockings and turned on the radio to hear the weather! I could not believe my ears! The Latin mass was being prayed and explained so lovely on Relevant Radio! Ususally, they go out of their way not to mention the Latin Mass.
    The announcer even described the 6 altar boys holding candles, three on each side of the altar, while kneeling during the consecration. I felt like I was at our beloved Institute of Christ the King in Chicago.
    The music was beautiful! I’ve tried to listen to Relevant Radio’s masses before but could not stand even one minute!
    Then, at the end of the radio broadcast, the announcer said that the Priest was Canon Andreas Hellmann! I jumped out of bed, turned everyone’s lights on and screamed, ‘Relevant Radio broadcast a Latin Mass by Canon Hellmann! Oh, he is only one of our favorite priests, plus, he is a fantastic guitar and banjo player! Well, here I am! Tickled to death! Looks like I’ll have to make a donation to Relevant Radio after all and a Rosary for Canon Hellmann. What a beautiful Christmas!

PS If you all could please keep, 38 year old Matthew in your prayers, the brother of Annalisa.
    He is dying of colon cancer in Loyola Hospital in Maywood, IL right now. He had an amazing reversion back to the faith which is a huge consolation to the family. Many thanks!

19. bookgetaway says:

May your Christmas be blessed and joyful! I have loved reading your blog the last few months. It is the first one I turn to. You are a gift from God, Father Z!

20. Warren says:

Merry Christmas, Father! – from the wet coast, yes that’s “wet” coast of Canada, Victoria, B.C.

21. Chris says:

Merry Christmas Father!

22. anthtan says:

You are a gift to us too! Merry Christmas, Father!

23. Childermass says:

Happy Christmas, Father, and a well-deserved sleep! You celebrated the midnight Mass with such panache. I was nervous about taking my Evangelical Protestant friend to his first exposure to a Catholic Mass, but he thought it was wonderful! He even liked your sermon.

Also I am grateful for the frank and generous vocation advice you gave me afterward, as well as the amusing tales of cardinals getting spattered with streams of wine.

It was a privilege to celebrate the Nativity of our common Lord with you and the good people of Holy Innocents. And thanks again for giving some guidance to a young man’s yearnings to enter into the priesthood of Jesus Christ. Prayers appreciated!

James from Boston

24. Merry Christmas, Father Z. May many graces come your way this day!

25. Shadow says:

Happy Christmas!

26. Prof. Basto says:

Happy Christmas, Father.

27. cblanch says:

Merry Christmas, Fr. Z! Thanks for all you do.

28. ckdexterhaven says:

Merry Christmas, Fr. Z!

One of my relatives gave us Mystic Monk coffee- I’m sure b/c you nagged them so much. :)

29. Frank H says:

Merry Christmas, Father!

( I gave your “new translation” Say the Black , Do The Red mugs to our parish priests for Christmas. They got a big kick out of them!)

30. wanda says:

Merry Christmas, Fr. Z. and all wdtprs’ers! Blessed New Year, too! Thank you, Father, for all the good work that you do here and out there in the world. You are a blessing.

31. Andy Lucy says:

Happy Christmas to Fr. Zed and everyone here at WDTPRS.

32. teomatteo says:

merry christmas to you Father and to your readers……PEACE

33. benedetta says:

Buon Natale a tutti! Merry Christmas Father Z. and everyone!

34. rakesvines says:

Vellem gaudio susceperunt per Dominicae nativitatis. :)

35. Rose in NE says:

Merry Christmas, Father!

36. Joan M says:

Happy Christmas, Fr. Z and all who read your blog.

This morning is so peaceful – at least, I am filled with peace. Looking forward to Christmas lunch at my eldest son’s home.

37. Supertradmum says:

Happy Christmas, Father. Stay warm in all of this snow and cold. God bless you and all your work.

38. Magpie says:

Merry Christmas Father!

I’ve been reading your blog since 2007 and have learned a lot so I want to thank you for your blog and your priesthood.

God bless you in 2011 and I hope you have a nice Christmas dinner!

And to my fellow blog readers I wish a merry Christmas too!

39. TKS says:

Merry Christmas to you, Father, and all your readers. Thank you.

40. Wayne NYC says:

Dear Father Z,
    Thank you for celebrating midnight mass at Holy Innocents.
    It was so very beautiful. Your chanting of the Christmas proclamation
    from the martyrology was so moving , as was your sermon.
    Thank you for being here for us. Merry Christmas.

41. gloriainexcelsis says:

May you be blessed at this Christmas and all the coming year. With thanks.

42. Fr. A.M. says:

A very happy and a holy Christmas.

43. tianzhujiao says:

Merry Christmas, Feliz Navidad, Sheng Dan Kwai Le!!!!!
    Thank you for all you do Father Z.

44. thicke says:

Merry Christmas father!

45. andycoan says:

Happy Christmas, Father! I thank God for your witness. May he bless you richly in the coming year!

46. Jason Keener says:

Merry Christmas!

47. ipadre says:

Merry Christmas Fr. Z and all who dwell here on this blog!

48. Young Canadian RC Male says:

Merry Christmas Fr. Zuhlsdorf. May you celebrate a Holy and Happy Christmas and may Christ bless you in this new liturgical year in continuing to provide this online ministry (or apostolate or mission?) that is true to His truth. God Bless!

P.S. Hope that Christmas pudding you made turned out lovely.

49. Torkay says:

A blessed and holy Christmas, Father. Hope you are not too lonely out there in the wilds of Minnesota. I frequently disagree with and am critical of what is posted on this blog, but I am grateful for your presence on the internet.

50. Young Canadian RC Male says:

Childermass, how lovely of you to take someone who isn’t part of the One Church yet is Christian to hear mass (with of course the awesome Fr. Z). This is but a small part of the New Evangelization: letting your genuine friendship serve as a bridge for having those come into our faith in the already-Christainized countries of the world. From your genuine relationship and Fr. Z’s work, may it be a first step toward the Holy Spirit inspiring him/her to being more open to the Faith, if it be Christ’s will for your friend. God Bless and a Merry and Holy Christmas to you!

51. Merry Christmas Fr. Z! And, a Merry Christmas to your readers all over the world.

52. Penguins Hockey Fan says:

Merry Christmas, Father Z!

Last night, Father Myers announced that Bishop David Zubik has established a permanent “parish” (I am not using the exact words, as I was desperately trying to control my 3 yeard old son) for the Pittsburgh Latin Mass Community. There will be Daily Masses in the Extraordinary Form beginning in early February. There are details to be worked out, but things will begin shortly.

Yes, Midnight Mass “began” at 9PM. I suspect next year it will be the Midnight Mass at, well, midnight.

Also, in the bulletin, it was announced that 18 young people were confirmed by Bishob Zubik according to the Extraordinary Form.

Deo Gratias!

Mass was wonderful, and the city of Pittsburgh was beautifully lit up and a pleasure to see on the drive home.

Merry Christmas and a blessed Christmastide to all at WDTPRS!

53. St. Louis IX says:

Merry Christmas
    Father Zuhlsdorf!!
    Merry Christmas all!

54. Merry Christmas, Father, and all you readers, and all your families!

Made the short pilgrimage for the midnight Mass to St. Thomas Aquinas in Palo Alto (start time: Midnight!), where the St. Ann’s Choir assisted a lovely German priest in an Ordinary from Mass in Latin with chant and polyphony. More important, brought 4 of our 5 kids, so they can get a taste of something different and sacred. The St Ann Choir has being doing chant and polyphony at Mass and Sunday Vespers for 47 years running now, a minor miracle in itself.

Anyway, thought of you.

55. A joyful Christmas to you too, Father!

56. Mike says:

Merry Christmas, Fr. Z!

We are in Columbia, SC, visiting family. The transitional deacon was from our home state, MD, and I think I will email him your blog address for Christmas!

57. Art says:

A Merry Christmas to you too, Fr. Z, and to all your readers!

58. MaryW says:

Merry Christmas, Father Z! Thank you for this blog. Wishing you a New Year filled with Joy!

59. matthewjoanna says:

God bless you, Fr. Z. Merry Christmas to you from the Moore family in Corpus Christi, Texas. We thank God for you and your work this Christmas.

60. MaranathaMaranatha says:

Fr. Z,

You are a gift to me, my family, and all! Thank you, Priest of Christ. And a blessed and holy Christmas to you and all who read/post here.

61. Leonius says:

Merry Christmas Father and thank you for all you do :)

62. poohbear says:

Merry Christmas, Father! Thank you for your work with this blog.

63. Mitchell NY says:

“Could not be broken for Eternity”…wasn’t that something from your sermon last night at Midnight Mass? It was a beautiful Mass, like last year…Merry Christmas and have a Blessed Happy New Year. Look forward to sharing another year of your blogging. It has become my daily read, no more newspapers.

64. JoyfulMom7 says:

A Blessed Christmas to you, Dear Father! You are a blessing to me – I have learned so much from you about our precious Faith! You may remember that I converted, along with 5 of my 7 children, to the Catholic Faith on April of 2009. My best Christmas gift came a bit early this year. Our oldest son, age 25, was brought into the Catholic Church on Nov. 27th by a wonderfully conservative, orthodox priest in Rochester, NY. We were there to see him confirmed and make his First Communion! A graduate of Eastman School of Music’s Masters Program, he is the cantor and choir director at this church and also sings once a month at a Latin High Mass. Thank you, Dear Lord Jesus for this gift!

65. susanna says:

Merry Christmas everyone!
    Merry Christmas Fr Z, thank you for the poetry!

66. Mariana says:

Merry Christmas, Father! Thank you for everything!

67. kat says:

Merry Christmas, Father Z. I really have enjoyed reading your blog all year. May God bless and reward you for all you do, and Mary keep you close.

68. capebretoner says:

A very Merry Christmas to Father Z and all here!
    What a blessing this blog is to us ! Thank you Father Z and everyone who contributes!

69. cyejbv says:

Father Z,
    Father Z,
    The last few months of following this blog-benefiting from your knowledge, observing & learning from your obedience (and toughness ;) -I always worry I’m going to be blasted out of the com box. ‘was that me he was talking to?!’ ) has been a priceless blessing and gift to me. One of the things we do every year //There is time for the complicated, and there is time for the simple// is read “The Best Christmas Pageant Ever”. This time I thought of myself as a WDTPRS Horrible Herdman- dumping off a ham for the baby Jesus rather than the gold or frankincense. :-)
    So… I don’t know a lot yet, but I do know you are appreciated & a great shepherd for Jesus’ sheep. THANK YOU
    Merry Christmas Father Z!

70. cyejbv says:

Oops. Just in case Father Z, you didn’t know I was addressing you. Father Z.
    ;) sorry finger stutter above.

71. Blessed Christmas to you, Father, and all here!

72. mike cliffson says:

Merry Xmas! ¡Feliz Navidad!

73. Lirioroja says:

Thank you for all you do for us Fr. Z. You and all the priests of my acquaintance (both the ones I love and the ones who drive me mad) are in my prayers. Merry Christmas to you and to everyone here at WDTPRS. ¡Feliz Navidad a todos!

74. trespinos says:

Merry Christmas, Father Z! and to all the readers and posters here, as well.

75. Reginald Pole says:

A Merry & Blessed Christmas to you, Father, and a Happy & Productive New Year.

76. mlwalker1972 says:

Merry Christmas :)

77. Traductora says:

Merry Christmas , Fr Z et al. Y Felices Navidades a todos!

78. Inkstain says:

Merry Christmas, dear Father, to you and to all that meet together here.

79. S. Murphy says:

Merry Christmas, Fr Z, and all commenters and lurkers here!

80. Martial Artist says:

Fr. Z,

You are a gift and a blessing to all of us. May our Lord grant you, and all of the commenters here, a very merry Christmas, and a new year filled with His blessings upon each of you in your life and in your work for His kingdom.

Pax et bonum,
    Keith Töpfer

81. Joseph says:

Merry Christmas Father,
    and all here on this page

82. VickiW says:

Merry Christmas, Father Z!

83. Merry Christmas to you too, Father– Mass this morning was beautiful, even though it wasn’t the Solemn High Mass!

84. Genna says:

Merry Christmas to all.

85. jray says:

Merry Christmas, Fr. Z. You are a gift to us. Thank you !

86. Girgadis says:

A Blessed and Merry Christmas to you, Father Z, and all your readers.

87. Agnes says:

Father Z,
    Happy Christmas to all, and to all a good night!

88. JohnW says:

Merry Christmas from Texas, Father Z thank you for all you do.

89. QMJ says:

Merry Christmas, Fr. Z!

90. SophiaGrace says:

Dear Father Z, you are a real gift to us.

Merry Christmas, Father!

91. Maria says:

And a very Happy Christmas to you too Fr. Z., and to all your people everywhere.

I love your Blog, it lightens my day and feel privelaged to post here.

x

92. ejcmartin says:

Father

I trust you had a Merry Christmas and thank you for all you do.

BTW I enjoyed my Christmas morning over a cup of Mystic Monk coffee (first time) in my new Mystic Monk Christmas mug!

93. lacrossecath says:

Merry Christmas Father!

94. lux_perpetua says:

merry and blessed Christmas Fr Z, from one of your many [i’m sure] readers who would never have been exposed to or assisted at a TLM without you. i stumbled across your blog by happenstance one day while googling about the history of st. stephens in MLPS–where i was attending Mass at the time. What a happy coincidence! Thank you for all that you’ve taught me over the past 16 months or so!

95. AngelineOH says:

Fr. Z, may you have a wonderful Christmas season and a joyful new year. You have taught me much about the faith and our Church in the past two years and you are a true blessing.

96. RichardT says:

But Father, but Father … how was the Christmas Pudding?

Merry Christmas.

97. irishgirl says:

“MARY-CHRISTMASS’, Father Z!
    And happy ‘name day’ on this Feast of St. John the Evangelist!
    Your ‘online flock’ loves and appreciates you!