Search Fr. Z’s Blog
SHOPPING ONLINE? Please, always come here first!
Enter Amazon through my link. Use the search bar below. Fr Z will get a small percentage of what you spend.
Here's Fr. Z's "catholic" search for Amazon: US HERE - UK HERE And you do need a Kindle! - HERE
“This blog is like a fusion of the Baroque ‘salon’ with its well-tuned harpsichord around which polite society gathered for entertainment and edification and, on the other hand, a Wild West “saloon” with its out-of-tune piano and swinging doors, where everyone has a gun and something to say. Nevertheless, we try to point our discussions back to what it is to be Catholic in this increasingly difficult age, to love God, and how to get to heaven.” – Fr. Z
Coat of Arms by D Burkart
YOUR RECENT COMMENTS
- Michael Haz: “ 230;..repo rt for psychiatri c counseling and perhaps confinemen t… 8221; Soviet-era tyranny courtesy of Cdl Chipich. Those accused of wrongthink must be institu...
- TonyO: And, by the way: in all that, a priest should be automatica lly disqualifi ed from considerat ion if the bishop receives from the people letters about him that he does not teach ortho...
- David WS: Contracept ion http://www .therealpr esence.org /archives/ Chastity/C hastity_00 4.htm – is fatal to the Faith. First, widespread contracept ion and unbelief in the Real Presence go...
- TonyO: It’s my understand ing that in medieval times the Kings of England chose who would be bishops in their realm and the pope had little to do with it. The kings of France also claimed rights of...
- JustaSinner: Only the Dark One would utter the truth in this instance?
- JonPatrick: @semperGum by, unfortunat ely the Cubs will lose to the Red Sox in game 5 of the World Series as Chris Sale repeating his stellar performanc e in game 1 at Fenway Park, mows down the...
- Gab: Bon voyage, Fr Z. Wish you a most excellent journey.
- JonPatrick: It is not “con servatives ” that are upset at Pope Francis. It is Catholics who love their Church and believe what the Church teaches. The Church is not a Parliament with...
- JonPatrick: The betrayal of the Chinese Catholics has convinced me that there is truly a diabolical element at work in our Church. No one can believe they are truly that naive to believe the...
- uptoncp: A mediaeval English vacancy in see typically resulted in a three way tussle as King, Pope, and Cathedral Chapter all claimed the right to nominate, and any one of the three might win. At...
- tamranthor: Cupich is putting the lie to the old “wis dom” about the Catholic Church persecutin g homosexual s. He has certainly turned the tables. Now it is the faithful who are...
- Fr_Andrew: Gloves are primarily to avoid soiling the metal which often takes fingerprin ts, but not to facilitate the touching of sacred vessels. Clerics and those who have charge of the vessels...
- Augustine Thompson O.P.: Oh, to be clear, I should have made explicit that the carrying of the Host on the paten to communicat e friars at a Private Mass is a post-1800 phenomenon . In the pre-mo...
- maternalView: Bless Fr. Kalchik! CupichR 17;s letter is revealing himself for what he is. While this must be extremely hard for Fr. Kalchik it is a good thing because it’s unmask...
- mibethda: There is a distinctio n between a chalice and paten, which are consecrate d only by a bishop or other person with the faculty to do so (see Canon 1169, CCL), and a ciborium, pyx or...
- Augustine Thompson O.P.: Mr. WmHesch and Mr. Mcferran 8217;s posts reflect my understand ing. In the Dominican Rite, the ministers and friars receive(d) on the altar steps using a communion cloth...
- pac76: Father Z, That photo looks like it’s from WWII Europe, is that correct? Secondly, do you know anything about copyright? I may like to make a print of it for use in my classroom.
- MrsMacD: “I am the devil.R 21; Wow. Did he say that? “Eve rything I say is doctrine.& #8221; Chuckle.
- WmHesch: @APX- gloves would not be appropriat e at all. In fact, when the Holy See mandated use of the communion paten in 1929, it was presuppose d that communican ts would pass the plate to each...
- mcferran: This article provides some historical and legal background : http://blo g.adw.org/ 2011/11/ho w-somethin g-we-consi der-solidl y-traditio nal-was-on ce-thought -as-strang ely-pro...
- CaliCatholicGuy: Father preached on sin and the devil – saying unlike the movies the devil doesn’t appear as a big bogeyman but is smarter than that – he will appear in little voices...
- David: Tu dixisti.
- APX: How does it work then, even the handles patens, when the servers receive communion kneeling and pass it to the person beside them and hold it under their chin? Gloves seem a bit impractica l.
- Benedict Joseph: The broken clock is right twice a day. No attempt at correction was required at that moment.
- Ben Kenobi: Cupich must go. Even before this incident he was already on the list of the cardinals in the US (including Wuerl and McCarrick, and a few others). God works in mysterious ways. I am...
CLICK and say your daily offerings!
- When they claim “Clericalism!”, they really mean #sodoclericalism
- My View For Awhile: Humidity Edition
- ASK FATHER: Is a Communion plate or paten a “sacred vessel”?
- OCTOBER – ROME – Annual #SumPont2018 Pilgrimage
- Thanks to Augustus on his birthday and to the Cohors Italicus
- If government leaders in China can now choose bishops, then in these USA…
- Francis trades quips with Polish photographer in Vilnius
- Your Sunday Sermon Notes
- Archbp. Chaput of @ArchPhilly on upcoming Synod’s working document. Concerns.
- UPDATE – @ArchChicago parish burns a “rainbow flag”
- THIS IS WAR! Wherein Fr. Z calls on bishops and priests to FIGHT BACK as priests and bishops!
- Akita, Communion in the hand, and homosexuality
- Card. Zen on the “Provisional Agreement” with the PRC on Bishops
- WDTPRS – 25th Ordinary Sunday: Each love fuels the other, when love of God is first.
- VIDEO: Fr. Murray on aspects of The Present Crisis
- ASK FATHER: Adding water to Holy Water
- ASK FATHER: If in letters Benedict XVI imparts still the Apostolic Blessing…
- A story of spectacular complexity, involving shady people, huge money, interlocking directorates, vast loans, and the Papal Foundation.
- One Mad Mom spanks James Martin, LGBTSJ – UPDATED
- Bishop R. Walker Nickless of Sioux City on #ViganoTestimony
- And now a word from our sponsor…
- BOOKS RECEIVED: Vatican I: The Council and the Making of the Ultramontane Church
- The upcoming Synod’s “working document”
- ASK FATHER: Should we pray for or against the success of the Synod?
- What passes for important today.
- YOU are other people. It’s always someone else… until it’s YOU.
- ASK FATHER: Are we are in the End Times?
- Fr. Murray’s Open Letter to ex-Card. McCarrick. Wherein Fr. Z rants.
- Cri de Coeur about lost innocence and The Present Crisis
- Card. Müller: “the real danger to today’s humanity is the greenhouse gases of sin and the global warming of unbelief”
Let us pray…
Grant unto thy Church, we beseech Thee, O merciful God, that She, being gathered together by the Holy Ghost, may be in no wise troubled by attack from her foes. O God, who by sin art offended and by penance pacified, mercifully regard the prayers of Thy people making supplication unto Thee,and turn away the scourges of Thine anger which we deserve for our sins. Almighty and Everlasting God, in whose Hand are the power and the government of every realm: look down upon and help the Christian people that the heathen nations who trust in the fierceness of their own might may be crushed by the power of thine Arm. Through our Lord Jesus Christ, Thy Son, who liveth and reigneth with Thee in the unity of the Holy Ghost, God, world without end. R. Amen.
This blog has to earn its keep!
New miscellaneous releases and events
Yes, Fr. Z is taking ads…
A great hymnal…
Because it matters what children read…
I carry one of these super-strong rosaries in my spare mag pouch! The Swiss Guards have them too!
My "challenge coin" for my 25th anniversary of ordination in 2016.
Want one? I do exchanges with military and LEOs, etc. and you can make a donation.
Because you don’t know when you are going to need to move fast or get along without the supermarket…
PLEASE RESPOND. Pretty pleeeease?Loading ...
WDTPRS POLLLoading ...
Fr. Z’s stuff is everywhere
Help support Fr. Z’s Gospel of Life work at no cost to you. Do you need a Real Estate Agent? Calling these people is the FIRST thing you should do!
GREAT causes to support
Help Monks in Wyoming (coffee – UPDATED LINK) and Norcia (beer) and the wonderful "Soap Sisters" of Summit, NJ!
Please follow me on Twitter!
If you travel internationally, this is a super useful gizmo for your mobile internet data. I use one. If you get one through my link, I get data rewards.
Daily Archives: 30 March 2011
Archbishop Thomas Wenski of Miami had an editorial letter in the Miami Sun Sentinel in defense of true, natural marriage. Wenski’s note was dignified and measured. He began:
Those who see “same sex marriage” as progress towards a more “tolerant” … Continue reading
From time to time I have showed you some art by artist Daniel Mitsui, who has a blog entitled The Lion and the Cardinal, an obvious Patristic reference which never fails to delight me.
I want to remind you of some … Continue reading
A reader reminded me about something on the Vatican website for the Office of Liturgical Ceremonies:
5) The maniple is an article of liturgical dress used in the celebration of the extraordinary form of the Holy Mass of the Roman Rite. … Continue reading
UPDATE 30 March 1909GMT:
I HAVE IT.
There is included a DVD (Region 0) which has more audio in surround sound and a documentary on the recording.
“But Father! But Father!”, you are surely saying. “You mentioned sackbuts. Where are the sackbuts? … Continue reading
If a person can strive this hard for a moment of worldly glory and interior satisfaction, how much more should we strive for the “unfading crown of glory”?
A friend a benefactor of this blog alerted me to a … Continue reading
Yes, I think we do need a New Evangelization.
Don’t watch any of what follows on a full stomach. Especially the part with the priest.
I found this through the blog Fides et Forma.
Sts. Peter and Paul parish in Oleggio near Nola … Continue reading
Praesta, quaesumus, Domine,
ut, per quadragesimalem observantiam eruditi
et tuo verbo nutriti,
sancta continentia tibi simus toto corde devoti,
et in oratione tua semper efficiamur concordes.
A bit strange in its style, no? Well, this is of new composition for the Novus Ordo. … Continue reading
A reliable source in Rome tells me…
In a time when the Pope barely receives visiting Nuncii, the Pope is going to receive the head of the new Anglican Ordinariate of Our Lady of Walsingham, Msgr. Keith Newton.
If true, and my … Continue reading
I was alerted to this event in New York City at one of my usual haunts. This comes from a friend:
For all of you planning to be in (or near) New York City this weekend, you won’t want to miss … Continue reading
As you carry on with your blog slog today, be sure not to miss these items.
First, New Liturgical Movement has a very good article about the architectural-liturgical symbolism of the fascinating Basilica of St. Clement in Rome. You will learn … Continue reading
Z-Cam & Radio Sabina, or “Fr Z TV” is on the air most of the time!
Because of a special prayer intention right now I have just entirely Latin chaplets of the Rosary followed by the Litany of Loreto and also … Continue reading