Search Fr. Z’s Blog
SHOPPING ONLINE? Please, always come here first!
Enter Amazon through my link. Use the search bar below. Fr Z will get a small percentage of what you spend.
Here's Fr. Z's "catholic" search for Amazon: US HERE - UK HERE And you do need a Kindle! - HERE
“This blog is like a fusion of the Baroque ‘salon’ with its well-tuned harpsichord around which polite society gathered for entertainment and edification and, on the other hand, a Wild West “saloon” with its out-of-tune piano and swinging doors, where everyone has a gun and something to say. Nevertheless, we try to point our discussions back to what it is to be Catholic in this increasingly difficult age, to love God, and how to get to heaven.” – Fr. Z
YOUR RECENT COMMENTS
- Joe in Canada: Does the Church teach that if someone receives the Apostolic Pardon with the proper dispositio ns etc they go right to heaven? If so, why wouldnR 17;t those people be automat...
- Julia_Augusta: I hope you have enough time to visit the Capella Palatina in Palermo and the cathedral in Monreale (outside Palermo), as well as the baroque towns of Noto, Ragusa and Modica; Sirac...
- Unwilling: I remember I was watching that very commentary . Watching it now, I remain bewildered by the subsequent retirement . We was robbed! The conspiracy part of me was puzzling this morning...
- Semper Gumby: p.p.s. The Cubs haven̵ 7;t won a World Series since 2016. They’ ;re due…
- Semper Gumby: Ah yes Fr. Z, Chicago- where they Play with Railroads, Stack Wheat, and even the children have alarmingly Big Shoulders. Looks like our genial host had a fine time, and fine chow, at...
- benedetta: I hope all have a wonderful pilgrimage . I will be praying. Sicilia is beautiful.
- JesusFreak84: I hadn’ ;t heard of this blog until a few years into Benedict 8217;s too-short papacy, and I didn’ ;t watch TV besides EWTN and anime. I was in college at the time, and...
- Fr. John Zuhlsdorf: Alas, not very many. There were CDs of whole Masses recorded and distribute d by Leaflet Missal. I wonder if they are still around.
- acardnal: Fr. Z, are there any musical recordings available?
- iPadre: I was running the backhoe at my parentR 17;s home. And my mother called out and told me to come in quickly. The fervor of the crowds, the smoke, the bells, this video still makes me very...
- HvonBlumenthal: What I don’t understand is this: we know (from reputable testimonie s such as Fr Wiltgen’s The Rhine Flows Into the Tiber) that Vatican II was manipulate d. We know that Paul VI did...
- Ellen: I was out running errands and when I went in my parents told me about it, and they said that the most interestin g priest was on and commenting , and “his name was Father John Zul...
- Ave Maria: I have a great love for saints but no devotion at all for this pope who, at the very least, was a weak pope. God prevented him from taking the majority line in favor of birth control and...
- tominrichmond: Paul VI was a weak man, apparently . While he gave us such zingers in describing the new liturgy as “mul ti-sided inconvenie nce,” ; and “a nuisance,& #8221; in his...
- Thomas S: People keep saying Pope Paul was heroic in issuing Humanae Vitae. Maybe so. He certainly wasn’ ;t heroic in defending it and disciplini ng dissidents in the hierarchy.
- vetusta ecclesia: Bugnini 217;s own tome on the Reform of the Liturgy is as self serving as P MariniR 17;s. Every opposition he encounters is seen as due to diabolical interventi on, every...
- TonyO: I’d be curious as to how many homeschool ed men are being ordained. Every article I’m seeing indicates that homeschool ed men are more likely to enter seminary than non-homesc hooled men,...
- Rob83: Paul VI sounds like a man who either blindly put his faith in the Consilium and its work or someone who was trusting the reviews of others as to the soundness of its work, which trust was...
- Malta: My view of Vatican II is pretty well documented : http://www .newoxford review.org /article.j sp?did=010 7-conlee. Maybe it’s arrogant for one man to take on over 2,000 Bishops; but as...
- JonPatrick: At the first shot I thought it could be the Bronx or Brooklyn which still have Els (as opposed to Chicago which has the “L 8221;). But if it was NYC there would probably be more...
- Gaetano: I am sympatheti c to Paul VI, who was so heroic regarding Humanae Vitae. Yet with regards to the Liturgy, I am reminded of an Italian proverb: Chi è causa del suo mal, pianga sè stesso....
- Sword40: And that just proves to me that everyone can change. Back in the 1970’ ;s and early 80’s , Ratzinger was known as a Liberal amongst us conservati ves. Yes, I was pleased that...
- maternalView: In our house we were so happy. We couldnR 17;t stop smiling. This election made the passing of John Paul II a little easier.
- Huber: Meanwhile on the battlefiel d: https://da ilypapist. com/index. php/2018/0 4/18/smell -of-incens e-in-the-m orning/
- AlanLins: When Cardinal Ratzinger& #8217;s name was announced, I felt joy I am unable to describe. I knew the Catholic Church was in good hands.
CLICK and say your daily offerings!
- My View For Awhile: Mezzogiorno Edition
- 20 April 2007 – Msgr. Richard Schuler – RIP
- 19 April 2005: Benedict XVI elected
- “And Paul VI wept”. More fascinating notes about the Pope and the liturgical reform.
- Wherein Fr. Z rants about the Church as “field hospital”. Brutal horror, heroic wonder.
- WDTPRS: 4th Sunday of Easter (2002MR) – Mighty humble Shepherd, humble mighty flock
- HUGE Fr. Z kudos to a reader who wrote to bishops about the important Apostolic Pardon
- My View For A While: Mystery City
- Connection of home-schooling and entering seminary
- ASK FATHER: “My 4 year old insists on praying in Latin.” Latin resources for young children?
- A bishop, black vestments and refreshing commonsense!
- ASK FATHER: Priest Mumbles Words of Absolution. Fr. Z says: FATHERS! Stop being JACKASSES and do it right!
- Shamefaced self-promotion with warm thanks to benefactors
- “If it’s just a symbol, then to hell with it!” Wherein a Lutheran tells it as it is and then Fr. Z rants a lot.
- Your Sunday Sermon Notes – Good Shepherd – AUDIO
- ASK FATHER: Communion twice in a day. But is Communion under both species already twice?
- ASK FATHER: Catholic betrothal rite, ceremony
- WDTPRS – 2nd Sunday after Easter (TLM): joy, devastation and rising
- BOOKS RECEIVED: Two VERY different DAUGHTERS!
- I’ve decided. I’m for arming teachers and the Rule of Law
- Fr. Murray and Prof. Royal opine on latest developments
- 28 April – PONTIFICAL TLM at Shrine of the Immaculate Conception
- St. Michael the Extremely Cool Samurai Archangel, defend us in battle!
- “O my God, make them like a wheel; * and as stubble before the wind.” Consolation from a Psalm.
- “Why Trappist ale tastes better”
- WDTPRS – 3rd Sunday of Easter (Novus Ordo): a candle is honey sweet summons
- @austinruse on “Slippery Jim” @JamesMartinSJ and his non-explanation explanation
- IMPORTANT from @HeartbeatIntl – abortion pill reversal method rescues babies without bad effects, physicians network
- Gallup Poll points to future demographic disaster. Wherein Fr. Z rants.
- R.J. Snell reviews @DouthatNYT book about Pope Francis and his pontificate
Let us pray…
Grant unto thy Church, we beseech Thee, O merciful God, that She, being gathered together by the Holy Ghost, may be in no wise troubled by attack from her foes. O God, who by sin art offended and by penance pacified, mercifully regard the prayers of Thy people making supplication unto Thee,and turn away the scourges of Thine anger which we deserve for our sins. Almighty and Everlasting God, in whose Hand are the power and the government of every realm: look down upon and help the Christian people that the heathen nations who trust in the fierceness of their own might may be crushed by the power of thine Arm. Through our Lord Jesus Christ, Thy Son, who liveth and reigneth with Thee in the unity of the Holy Ghost, God, world without end. R. Amen.
My "challenge coin" for my 25th anniversary of ordination in 2016.
Want one? I do exchanges with military and LEOs, etc. and you can make a donation.
Coat of Arms by D Burkart
I travel a good deal. As I get older, it takes more of a toll. My main airline - sigh - is Delta. Were I to get some Gift Cards for Delta, I could more easily upgrade for longer flights. I'm just sayin'. I'd be much obliged. HERE
New miscellaneous releases and events
Yes, Fr. Z is taking ads…
A great hymnal…
Because it matters what children read…
I carry one of these super-strong rosaries in my spare mag pouch! The Swiss Guards have them too!
Because you don’t know when you are going to need to move fast or get along without the supermarket…
PLEASE RESPOND. Pretty pleeeease?Loading ...
WDTPRS POLLLoading ...
Fr. Z’s stuff is everywhere
Help support Fr. Z’s Gospel of Life work at no cost to you. Do you need a Real Estate Agent? Calling these people is the FIRST thing you should do!
GREAT causes to support
Help Monks in Wyoming (coffee – UPDATED LINK) and Norcia (beer) and the wonderful "Soap Sisters" of Summit, NJ!
Please follow me on Twitter!
If you travel internationally, this is a super useful gizmo for your mobile internet data. I use one. If you get one through my link, I get data rewards.
A book by an old friend…
Monthly Archives: May 2011
From a reader:
My friend was just ordained to the Diaconate, and will be ordained to the Priesthood next year. This leaves me with a question regarding etiquette when addressing him now, and then later when he’s a priest.
Being that we’ve … Continue reading
You have probably seen news about the case of a priest in the Diocese of Kansas City-St. Joseph who had photos from different sources, some he took, of children.
Bp. Robert Finn is taking some heat about Fr. Ratigan, a bloke … Continue reading
The Franciscan Friars of the Immaculate created an app for the 1962 Breviarium Romanum. It is now available, FREE, for the iPhone, iPod touch, and iPad.
This may be a way for some of you to get more familiar with the … Continue reading
I have been trying to recapture some verve for cooking. The kitchen hasn’t been very interesting lately.
But yesterday, with the help of a couple donations which came in for my 20th anniversary of ordination, I picked up some groceries and … Continue reading
Here are a few screenshots from the live Z-CAM which I have running again. I still have some technical problems, but it is running. I have chaplets of the Rosary in Latin, prayers for the Pope, and other prayers.
And I … Continue reading
You may have seen this yesterday.
POPE ENTRUSTS ITALY TO VIRGIN’S PROTECTION
VATICAN CITY, 27 MAY 2011 (VIS) – Yesterday afternoon in the Basilica of Santa Maria Maggiore, Benedict XVI presided over the praying of the Rosary together with the bishops of … Continue reading
From a reader:
Is it proper to hold Exposition of the Blessed Sacrament in a classroom at the high school when 30 feet out the back door is the church and our Perpetual Adoration Chapel, where the Blessed Sacrament is exposed … Continue reading
During the preparation of the new translation, some defenders of the old way of doing things, the so-called “dynamic equivalence” method of translation, carped about the new goal of greater accuracy would be tooo haard for people in the pews. … Continue reading
The National Catholic Reporter reports the death of their editor in chief and publisher.
Joseph Feuerherd, NCR editor in chief and publisher, died this morning after an 18-month battle with cancer. He was 48. Funeral arrangements are pending.
Feuerherd died at 8:41 … Continue reading