Search Fr. Z’s Blog
SHOPPING ONLINE? Please, always come here first!
Enter Amazon through my link. Use the search bar below. Fr Z will get a small percentage of what you spend.
Here's Fr. Z's "catholic" search for Amazon: US HERE - UK HERE And you do need a Kindle! - HERE
“This blog is like a fusion of the Baroque ‘salon’ with its well-tuned harpsichord around which polite society gathered for entertainment and edification and, on the other hand, a Wild West “saloon” with its out-of-tune piano and swinging doors, where everyone has a gun and something to say. Nevertheless, we try to point our discussions back to what it is to be Catholic in this increasingly difficult age, to love God, and how to get to heaven.” – Fr. Z
Coat of Arms by D Burkart
Send Snail Mail to Fr. Z
YOUR RECENT COMMENTS
- TonyO: part of what happened, I am convinced, is that Billy Graham came along and told us that the ceremony was just so much window dressing. And we believed him, apparently . But why did we...
- MrsAnchor: @Semper Gumby Bravissimo For me your comment had the air of an Evelyn Waugh Novel. With such talent, Do you have any Novels written?
- PTK_70: The background choir and unseen orchestra back then were phenomenal . Ok, a little more seriously& #8230;part of what happened, I am convinced, is that Billy Graham came along and told us...
- P. N: Beautiful – yes! But what happened then? Ten-twenty years after and later? How could these priests (and their bishops) and, yes, all or at least many of these cute kids destroy and desacra...
- OssaSola: I am sure it was not random that the Blessed Mother, in speaking to the modern world at Fatima, lead with a lesson on Hell.
- Kent Wendler: veritas vincit said “ 230; will seem to “fade away into nonentity. ” For some reason this made me think of the damned, after the Last Judgment, falling toward the event...
- Fr. John Zuhlsdorf: ALL: Be careful and reticent to dig too deeply into other peopleR 17;s marriages.
- Irish Timothy: Thank you Father Z for posting this! I watched Michael’s video and he is 100% correct. Scary yes but that’s what hell is – no GOD and no love. I’m going to confession tomorr...
- ppb: Sawyer and s i, with respect, you seem to be reading a lot into Fr. Ferguson 8217;s answer that I don’ t think is there. I didn’ ;t get the impression that Father was making a...
- veritas vincit: In some ways, Pope Francis reflects the heart of a pastor in simply human ways that St John Paul II and Benedict XVI do not (although a strong counterarg ument could be made for St...
- veritas vincit: Father Z, your combox has nothing on the mob-infest ed sewer known as Twitter.
- veritas vincit: Besides the already-me ntioned The Great Divorce, CS Lewis also wrote about the Last Things in The Problem of Pain. In one chapter, he speculates on Hell and the state of the damned...
- Greg Hlatky: Well, I reckon I’ll go to Confession .
- Semper Gumby: Jerome Charles: Note the evidence that contradict s your assertion.
- Jerome Charles: Yes. Asserted with deep respect for him. But, I am not alone on this blog in making assertions about Pope Francis and other people/top ics, am I? I wonder why you feel the need to...
- Aquinas Gal: I pray that Cardinal Daneels was saved and repented at the end of his life for his sins. All of us are poor sinners and need God’ s mercy. Some have greater responsibi lity in...
- SanSan: Thank you to Michael Voris and “all ” the clergy who care about saving souls!
- Jacob: Fasting is not being able to eat anything, just over 12 years and counting. Penance is FatherR 17;s posts on his delicious looking meals. Mom needs to count her blessings that all her...
- THREEHEARTS: one time after a Christmas pilgrimage to Tepeyac where on my birthday on 24th. Dec Blessed Mary confirmed in me several facts about my life and a prophetic prayer for individual s....
- TonyO: Thank you, Fr. Z, for showing us good balance. For the requiremen ts of Ash W. and Good Friday, I use a simple rule of thumb, which works because my supper is almost always significan tly...
- Semper Gumby: Jerome Charles: That’ ;s quite an assertion.
- Semper Gumby: Masked Chicken: Good one. Perhaps the Four Final Things are about getting our Just Desserts. Then there were the monks who had a beer-only fast: https://ww w.catholic worldre...
- GregB: Much has been made about the prophetic role in the Church, but not as much as to prophetic responsibi lity. Ezekiel 3:17-21 speaks to this prophetic responsibi lity: * 17 “Son of man, I have...
- acardnal: Personally , I accept the veracity of the Fatima visionarie s who SAW the Blessed Mother Mary, and who SAW hell and said most are there for sins against purity rather than Bishop Robert...
- Ad Orientem: I can’ t tell. Are the boys wearing white and black two tone shoes, or black shoes with white spats?
CLICK and say your daily offerings!
- Lighter fare
- Wherein Fr. Z rants about Hell and sin and Enemy of the soul
- LENTCAzT 2019 13 – Monday in the 2nd Week: Kneeling at Mass, its actual liturgical function
- “You just want the 1950’s back!”
- ASK FATHER: How can eating desserts during Lent be fasting? Would Jesus eat desserts?
- News from the great Benedictines at Norcia: building, dogs, liturgy, beer
- ASK FATHER: A question about a marriage situation (not mine)
- How to spot a good preacher
- Your Sunday Sermon Notes
- CNA Exposé: Archbp. Francis Chullikatt, Holy See’s former Observer at the UN
- St. Patrick’s Breastplate: Armor for our time
- LENTCAzT 2019 – 12 – 2nd Sunday of Lent: God is more lenient than you
- WDTPRS – 2nd Sunday of Lent (NO): a more perfect “view”
- When We are elected Pope…
- LENTCAzT 2019 – 11 – Saturday in the 1st Week of Lent: The imperial epiphany and the tabernacle
- AUDIO: Damian Thompson on boring bishops – @HolySmoke
- 15 March – A ramble about the #IdesOfMarch
- Dems push to save cats after abandoning babies to death
- A “binding” German synod… What could possibly go wrong?
- LENTCAzT 2019 – 10 Friday in the 1st Week of Lent: The involuntary, personal response to a gracious epiphany
- ASK FATHER: We thought we had a valid marriage…
- ACTION ITEM! Support Archbp. Naumann of @archkck
- Wherein Fr. Z recommends and then rants with frustration and sorrow
- LENTCAzT 2019 – 09 Thursday in the 1st Week of Lent: Kneeling expresses what standing does not
- VIDEO: This explains the Church in Germany
- Quo Rev.dus Zed Rev.do Ioanni Hunwicke gratias persolvit
- LENTCAzT 2019 – 08 Wednesday in the 1st Week of Lent: the struggle of a soul against sin
- FATHERS! Traditional Holy Week Call For Help.
- LENTCAzT 2019 – 07 Tuesday in the 1st Week of Lent: Priests… brands plucked out of the burning
- Bp. Athanasius Schneider’s NEW WEBSITE
Let us pray…
Grant unto thy Church, we beseech Thee, O merciful God, that She, being gathered together by the Holy Ghost, may be in no wise troubled by attack from her foes. O God, who by sin art offended and by penance pacified, mercifully regard the prayers of Thy people making supplication unto Thee,and turn away the scourges of Thine anger which we deserve for our sins. Almighty and Everlasting God, in whose Hand are the power and the government of every realm: look down upon and help the Christian people that the heathen nations who trust in the fierceness of their own might may be crushed by the power of thine Arm. Through our Lord Jesus Christ, Thy Son, who liveth and reigneth with Thee in the unity of the Holy Ghost, God, world without end. R. Amen.
This blog has to earn its keep!
PLEASE subscribe if it is useful.
That way I have steady income I can plan on, and you wind up regularly on my list of benefactors for whom I pray and for whom I periodically say Holy Mass.
For a one time donation...
I set up a
CONTINUE TO GIVE
account, which functions rather like PayPal. Some of you use it. Here is a QCode you can use with your smart phones. Try it!
Also, to receive a link to donate via Continue To Give using your smart phone SEND MESSAGE:
4827563 TO: 715-803-4772 (USA)
Some donations also come through CHASE. That works well. I don't think they take any percentage as fees.
New miscellaneous releases and events
Do you want to show some appreciation?
Yes, Fr. Z is taking ads…
A great hymnal…
Because it matters what children read…
I carry one of these super-strong rosaries in my spare mag pouch! The Swiss Guards have them too!
My "challenge coin" for my 25th anniversary of ordination in 2016.
Want one? I do exchanges with military and LEOs, etc. and you can make a donation.
Because you don’t know when you are going to need to move fast or get along without the supermarket…
PLEASE RESPOND. Pretty pleeeease?Loading ...
WDTPRS POLLLoading ...
Fr. Z’s stuff is everywhere
Help support Fr. Z’s Gospel of Life work at no cost to you. Do you need a Real Estate Agent? Calling these people is the FIRST thing you should do!
GREAT causes to support
Help Monks in Wyoming (coffee – UPDATED LINK) and Norcia (beer) and the wonderful "Soap Sisters" of Summit, NJ!
Please follow me on Twitter!
If you travel internationally, this is a super useful gizmo for your mobile internet data. I use one. If you get one through my link, I get data rewards.
Daily Archives: 3 June 2011
I wrote this yesterday, and sent it to the blog from my phone, but it just didn’t post. Yesterday I was at a luncheon held by priests for a friend of many years, Fr. George Welzbacher, who is today celebrating … Continue reading
Clerics! Seminarians! Rejoice! I received a new book for review from the Canons at St. John Cantius in Chicago. This is a book they prepared. Here is the LINK. Before I even tell you about it, it costs US$275. Worth … Continue reading
Pay attention to what happens in Italian Church politics and developments. The intrepid Andrea Tornielli today reports that Angelo Card. Scola (Patriarch of Venice), and not Gianfranco Card. Ravasi, (Pres. Pont. Council for Culture) is on the short list to … Continue reading
A reader alerted me to this great PC and PIXEL cartoon. We have moved into the period between Ascension THURSDAY and Pentecost during which we, as a Church, pray in a particular way for the help of the Holy Spirit. … Continue reading
For your Brick by Brick File. From the UK’s best Catholic weekly, The Catholic Herald comes this, with my emphases and comments. A major centre for Eucharistic Adoration and the Old Mass? It’s the latest episcopal surge forward Bishop Davies … Continue reading
Via CMR (you can read the rest there): Freedom of speech is DOA in the USA folks. A federal judge has ruled that nobody at a high school graduation can use religious terms like “prayer” and “Amen.” So, remember that … Continue reading
Here is something for all of you anywhere near that toddlin’ town Chicago: Join Most Rev. Robert Morlino, Bishop of Madison, and the Canons Regular of St. John Cantius for the 12:30 pm Tridentine Pontifical High Mass on the External … Continue reading