Search Fr. Z’s Blog
SHOPPING ONLINE? Please, always come here first!Enter Amazon through my link, the image below (they took away our search box!), and I will get a small percentage of what you spend. (Pssst - Can't see it? Turn off your "ad-blocker" for this site!)
Here's a generic "catholic" search start point for Amazon:
And you do need a Kindle! - HERE
“This blog is like a fusion of the Baroque ‘salon’ with its well-tuned harpsichord around which polite society gathered for entertainment and edification and, on the other hand, a Wild West “saloon” with its out-of-tune piano and swinging doors, where everyone has a gun and something to say. Nevertheless, we try to point our discussions back to what it is to be Catholic in this increasingly difficult age, to love God, and how to get to heaven.” – Fr. Z
YOUR RECENT COMMENTS
- Atra Dicenda, Rubra Agenda: It amazes me that Cardinal Sarah hasn’ ;t been exiled to some missionary Episcopal assignment in Timbuktoo Africa where he doesn̵ 7;t have to be heard by anyone.
- Bob B.: Reminds me of a couple of years ago. The Jesuit priest saying Mass, after sprinkling Holy Water on all those attending, decided to have a water fight on the altar with the deacon, who...
- ServusChristi: With regards to PF, we can talk about how liturgical ly progressiv e he is with regards to his animosity towards the TLM, his ‘Tan go Mass’ ;, his replacemen t of Cardi...
- Prayerful: I haven̵ 7;t gone to an NOM in a long, long time except for funerals and the like, but even if I did, I wouldnR 17;t learn so much about the orations as I do from here. Thank you...
- Mike: There is absolutely nothing more important to the well-being of the Catholic Faith than a proper understand ing of, and reverence for, the Holy Sacrifice of the Mass and the Real Presence of...
- adriennep: There is a group called Pietra Fitness that does have excellent Catholic/C hristian yoga style exercise DVDs. If no one tells you a particular upper back stretch is called the Cobra, and...
- Seppe: Dominican Father Ezra Sullivan wrote an excellent and very thorough five-part series on problemati c issues associated with the philosophy and practice of yoga and eastern meditation for...
- tianzhujiao: Beautiful indeed!!! I think the article I found is about this statue: http://www .carmelite monastery. org/clergy .php
- JustaSinner: Now THAT’ ;S a CARDINAL! Not like that wimp in Chicago defending the indefensib le Senator DICK DurbinR 30;
- Michael Haz: What a great idea! Congratula tions, Justin. My wife, a retired public high school teacher (44 years on the job) loves this device, but adds a note of caution: Someone inside the...
- scotus: “Many theologian s persist in mocking or snubbing the term ‘transubst antiation’ despite the constant references of the Magisteriu m (…)” Unfortunat ely, too true. There is a book called...
- Anne C.: Paul of St. Paul ~ I followed the link given by another reader to Catholic Answers, but it was difficult to find the explanatio n. I finally found the most comprehens ive explanatio n...
- semperficatholic: It is a great invention and I hate to be skeptical, the kid is pretty bright, but what would stop someone from shooting the window out, stick their gun through the broken glass...
- tamranthor: Can I have Justin come and defend my son’ s school? Please? ;)
- robtbrown: frjim4321 says: Infallibil ity from the chair was not asserted with regard to this matter. 211; It has language like Ineffabili s Deus and Munificent issimus Deus, both of which are...
- NBW: Fr. Rutler is extremely intelligen t and witty. I love his sense of humor. Those that lack true intellect like Fr.Spadaro , would not in a million years, be able to write or speak like Fr....
- frjim4321: [That’s an old chestnut. You know very well what the reasons are. You just don’t want to accept the Church officially defined teaching, which is also infallible .] I know the reasons, as...
- SKAY: Thank you Father.
- Ave Maria: The attacks on the Real Presence has been going on for decades. The liturgical abuses contribute to the lessening of belief. And “dea cons’ ; who are also professors such as...
- Aquinas Gal: When I was in third or fourth grade at a Catholic school, a priest came in to talk about the Mass. I still vividly recall how we walked up and down the aisles showing us the chali...
- Atra Dicenda, Rubra Agenda: How do **bishops* * do this and remain in Communion with the rest of the Church? Where is the Barque to strengthen the brethren?
- Sawyer: @LeeGilber t, I saw Anthony Ruff’ ;s curt response to you at praytellbl og. He completely ignored your statements and question about the decline in belief about the Real Presence. He...
- Mike: Once one accepts that after Vatican 2 Jesuitism became Teilhardia n rather than Catholic, all this makes sense, insofar as it can.
- LeeGilbert: In response to SawyerR 17;s note that praytell was addressing Cdl Sarah̵ 7;s preface, I made the following comment there and hope that others will engage them as well. Well,...
- robtbrown: A distinctio n must be made between Hatha yoga, primarily a group of stretching and breathing exercise, and Mantra yoga, a method of meditation . A mantra is one word, often of one...
CLICK and say your daily offerings!
- WDTPRS – 2nd Sunday of Lent (NO): Having a really good look
- Wisconsin High School student invents classroom door stop
- LENTCAzT 2018 10 – Ember Friday in the 1st Week of Lent: You cannot save yourself for the world
- Card. Sarah: return to Communion directly on the tongue while kneeling
- JUST TOO COOL: Recently received missal stand and statue of Our Lady
- Wherein Rutler thrashes @AntonioSpadaro
- BRAZIL: Did these bishops allow women to concelebrate Mass?
- Promoted by @JamesMartinSJ – Jesuits have yoga in church sanctuary at a school
- LENTCAzT 2018 09 – Thursday in the 1st Week of Lent: The inexhaustible virtue of the Word
- Fr. Murray on “lived experience”, “accompaniment”, “conscience”
- More news from the New catholic Red Guard
- Making the Church appealing. What “sells”?
- LENTCAzT 2018 08 – Wednesday in the 1st Week of Lent: Never ending combat
- 20 Feb – Feast of Sts Francisco and Jacinta of Fatima
- Of “paradigm shift” interest
- Spain: young people dancing a jota in reparation for blasphemy against the Blessed Virgin
- Mega-Masses and too many Hosts
- The State v. Self-Reliance
- LENTCAzT 2018 07 – Tuesday in the 1st Week of Lent: subtle temptation
- Attacks on the family
- My View For Awhile: Capital Edition
- Books for boys. Suggested titles and an additional point.
- LENTCAzT 2018 06 – Monday in the 1st Week of Lent: “I warned you!”
- Wherein Fr Longenecker schools @JamesMartinSJ
- Your Sunday Sermon Notes
- WDTPRS 1st Sunday of Lent (N.O.): The Lenten “Sacrament”
- LENTCAzT 2018 05 – 1st Sunday of Lent: Anger and Reason
- Commandments are NOT mere “ideals” from which some are excused because, “They’re tooo haaard!” Wherein Fr. Z rants.
- JUST TOO COOL – Cops, ashes, and podcasts
- VIDEO Fr. Murray and Prof. Royal on some tough issues
Let us pray…
Grant unto thy Church, we beseech Thee, O merciful God, that She, being gathered together by the Holy Ghost, may be in no wise troubled by attack from her foes. O God, who by sin art offended and by penance pacified, mercifully regard the prayers of Thy people making supplication unto Thee,and turn away the scourges of Thine anger which we deserve for our sins. Almighty and Everlasting God, in whose Hand are the power and the government of every realm: look down upon and help the Christian people that the heathen nations who trust in the fierceness of their own might may be crushed by the power of thine Arm. Through our Lord Jesus Christ, Thy Son, who liveth and reigneth with Thee in the unity of the Holy Ghost, God, world without end. R. Amen.
New miscellaneous releases and events
Yes, Fr. Z is taking ads…
A great hymnal…
Because it matters what children read…
I carry one of these super-strong rosaries in my spare mag pouch! The Swiss Guards have them too!
Because you don’t know when you are going to need to move fast or get along without the supermarket…
PLEASE RESPOND. Pretty pleeeease?Loading ...
WDTPRS POLLLoading ...
Fr. Z’s stuff is everywhere
Help support Fr. Z’s Gospel of Life work at no cost to you. Do you need a Real Estate Agent? Calling these people is the FIRST thing you should do!
GREAT causes to support
Help Monks in Wyoming (coffee – UPDATED LINK) and Norcia (beer) and the wonderful "Soap Sisters" of Summit, NJ!
Please follow me on Twitter!
If you travel internationally, this is a super useful gizmo for your mobile internet data. I use one. If you get one through my link, I get data rewards.
A book by an old friend…
Monthly Archives: June 2011
Archdiocesan Corpus Christi Procession, Sunday, June 26, 2:00-3:30 p.m., Little Sisters of the Poor to the Cathedral of St. Paul. Bring your family and friends for this festive walk with our Eucharistic Lord. Ice cream social follows. Park in the … Continue reading
When the new English translation of the Roman Missal is released, it will sport a new translation of the GIRM, the General Institution/Instruction of the Roman Missal.
There are, of course, adaptations for the USA and other Anglophone regions.
As it happens, … Continue reading
It would be nice to have some silence during visits to beautiful churches in Europe.
This comes from CNA:
Vatican hopes iPod can bring silence to Rome’s churches
Rome, Italy, Jun 24, 2011 / 06:10 am (CNA/EWTN News).- The Vatican has introduced a … Continue reading
From Space Weather.
ASTEROID FLYBY: Newly-discovered asteroid 2011 MD will pass only 12,000 kilometers (7,500 miles) above Earth’s surface on Monday, June 27th. NASA analysts say there is no chance the space rock will strike Earth. Nevertheless, the encounter is so … Continue reading
No frill vespers read from the Breviarium Romanum.
The Solemnity of the Body and Blood of the Lord, or Corpus Christi, Corpus Domini in some places, actually falls on the Thursday after Trinity Sunday, not on Sunday. It is supposed to correspond to the Mass of the Last … Continue reading
The Roman calendar observes Corpus Christi today. In another place I drilled into the Collect. Let’s look at the Super Oblata, or “Prayer over the gifts”, in the new, corrected translation called the “Prayer over the offerings”.
SUPER OBLATA (2002MR):
Ecclesiae … Continue reading
Today, Thursday, 23 June at 6 pm there will be a Solemn Mass in the Extraordinary Form, followed by a procession with the Blessed Sacrament, in Manhattan, NYC, at the Church of the Holy Innocents (128 W 37th – btw … Continue reading
No frill Matins for Corpus Christi with the Roman Breviary. Perhaps the weary brethren can make use of it. The hymn is particularly nice.
You can follow on Divinum Officium or your iPhone app BrevMeum.
In recording, I had a few interruptions, … Continue reading
I am not making this up. This is from Treehugger.
Priest in Brazil Replaces Prayer With Tree-Planting
by Stephen Messenger, Porto Alegre, Brazil on 06.22.11
Planting trees may be a great way to help save the environment, but thanks to one Catholic diocese … Continue reading
From Fides et Forma and …
… direct from Bari… it’s… the SUMMER SOLSTICE!
E’ accaduto ieri nella Cattedrale di Bari: il parroco, don Franco Lanzolla, ha ritenuto opportuno organizzare in occasione del solstizio (quando i raggi di sole filtrati … Continue reading
A Catholic Priest Needs Your Help Right Now!
This is the motto you will see on a website for an organization which defends priests.
Opus Bono Sacerdotii
Here is something from their front page.
We provide life-saving care for thousands of priests experiencing difficulties. … Continue reading
This note from The Catholic League about the ignorant boor and failed-TV personality Keith Olbermann gives me a chance to talk about something else.
But first, the note from The Catholic League’s Bill Donohue:
OLBERMANN’S IGNORANCE IS APPALLING
On last night’s edition of … Continue reading
From the 2005 Martyrologium Romanum.
Sanctorum Ioannis Fisher, episcopi, et Thomae More, martyrum, qui, cum Henrico regi Octavo in controversia de eius matrimonio repudiando et de Romani Pontificis primatu restitissent, in Turrem Londinii in Anglia trusi sunt. Ioannes Fisher, episcopus Roffensis, … Continue reading
A couple fun views of the Holy Father from today’s Wednesday Audience.
The first one calls for some caption.
This one speaks for itself.
This interesting article is in The Daily Mail. Very cool stuff about gladiators and tombstones.
Roman gladiator’s gravestone blames poor refereeing for losing a key battle (and his life)
Scientist finally decodes epitaph on tombstone
By Daily Mail Reporter
His tomb was unearthed about … Continue reading
There is a new edition of the Daily Roman Missal available for pre-order. This new, third edition has the new, corrected ICEL translation which will go into effect at the beginning of Advent 2011. Only 5 months away!
I have also … Continue reading