Search Fr. Z’s Blog
SHOPPING ONLINE? Please, always come here first!Enter Amazon through my link, the image below (they took away our search box!), and I will get a small percentage of what you spend. (Pssst - Can't see it? Turn off your "ad-blocker" for this site!)
Here's a generic "catholic" search start point for Amazon:
And you do need a Kindle! - HERE
“This blog is like a fusion of the Baroque ‘salon’ with its well-tuned harpsichord around which polite society gathered for entertainment and edification and, on the other hand, a Wild West “saloon” with its out-of-tune piano and swinging doors, where everyone has a gun and something to say. Nevertheless, we try to point our discussions back to what it is to be Catholic in this increasingly difficult age, to love God, and how to get to heaven.” – Fr. Z
YOUR RECENT COMMENTS
- TonyO: Now with Amoris (so it would seem to this opinionato r with a smartphone ), a door has been opened to another way: a low-cost, no-frills, in-house discernmen t of the validity of a previ...
- Orlando: Can’t agree more with that great Pontiff, may he live a very long life . @ Charles Flynn thank you for the book recommenda tion.
- Fallibilissimo: The idea of creating two classes of sinners can be a real consequenc e of this recent allowance. However, the solution could be to simply level the playing field and admit more...
- choirlady: Our parish in the Archdioces e of Washington has 90 altar boys, which means 5 altar boys per mass. They are well schooled and so reverent in their actions at mass. No sloppiness here. At...
- george: Thank you for the post, Father. I will write a short letter to His Holiness and hope that he reads it.
- george: PTK_70: “Not a rhetorical question: who in a position of authority has literally said that adulterers may be admitted to Holy Communion? ” All those prelates who say that those...
- Kathleen10: We need only one faithful Bishop with a microphone who loves Christ and Catholicis m.
- Nan: Chesterton Academy will soon visit the Byzantine Church of St John.
- Nan: So nice to be in a parish with a priest who knows, and tells us, that he’s on the hook for our salvation.
- Charles E Flynn: @Orlando, From http://www .ewtn.com/ library/li turgy/zlit ur254.htm : In his book “The Spirit of the Liturgy 221; the then Cardinal Joseph Ratzinger wrote: “...
- sibnao: Due to a mysterious health problem last year, we racked up thousands of dollars in medical bills. The local hospital, where procedures were done, offers financial assistance , and after...
- Aquinas Gal: The first rule of discernmen t is that we can never discern whether or not to commit a sin. Sin is never an option.
- Spinmamma: I have nothing deep to say. Just wanted to thank you for posting that beautiful rendition by Richard Kiley. I have heard many versions of this song, some of them truly awful, but he...
- Geoffrey: “Wha t frightens me a great deal about the present situation of the Church is what I would call a politiciza tion of Church life and of Church doctrine 8230;̶ 1; I have...
- Fr. John Zuhlsdorf: One could also argue for John Paul II or Ronald Reagan.
- Fr. John Zuhlsdorf: Quod Deus avveruncet !
- ProfKwasniewski: Arga, What I was recommendi ng is that sometimes we should just sit down with a book and get lost in it. Not, of course, that we neglect reading Fr. Z and NLM… . :-) God...
- teomatteo: “ 230;the Church had condemned the idea were told not to worry. Doctrine would be untouched, ” Right. That line of Cattle Krud was similar to the line just a few years ago...
- Imrahil: One of the greatest? Sure. The greatest? No. I don’ t know whether here, to put it briefly, “lit erature countsR 21;, or I’d have mentioned Chesterton or even Tolki...
- Catechism: I speak as one who has been on both sides of this issue. I had a very pastoral Irish priest who told me not to bother with an annulment petition for my previous marriage and that I was...
- Sawyer: I think what’ ;s behind much of this is a creeping belief in universal salvation. If everyone is saved and it’s just a matter of what degree of beatitude someone will enjoy in...
- Amateur Scholastic: Thanks for your reply. I’ll try and be a bit clearer: I’m no historian, but I don’ t believe the following is disputed: Churchill oversaw, allowed, encoura...
- iPadre: My mother had a minor heart attack just after Christmas and she is recovering really well. I snagged a certain priest for my parish Lenten Mission.
- Jack in NH: Oops, didn’t finishR 30; …and did a fine job. Please pray for him & the parish, that this effort may continue.
- Jack in NH: Ooooo, I’ve been waiting for a ‘good news’ post! On December 12th, St. John the Evangelist parish in Townsend MA celebrated (what I believe is) the first Traditiona l Latin Mass since...
CLICK and say your daily offering!
- Your Good News
- Hitchens: We were told not to worry.
- Card. Burke speaks up
- #OafForADay – Deacon in vestments and a dog mask
- We Are Our Rites! Wherein Fr. Z rants after reading Peter Kwasniewski
- Rutler writes about “men with chests”. The “impossible dream”?
- The Pope wants to hear from you. No. Really. He wants the “sensus fidelium”.
- Your Sunday Sermon Notes
- From a priest: an interesting experience saying Mass
- OLDIE PODCAzT 127: The Eve of St. Agnes and a Bleak Midwinter
- My View For A While: Counter March
- #March4Life numbers and Pres. Trump’s words
- DC March for Life 2018 – DAY 2: Forward MARCH!
- DC March for Life 2018 – DAY 1: Paintings and plots
- Canonist Ed Peters on the Papal mid-air airplane nuptials
- The Pope marries a couple on the papal airplane. Hmmm.
- Big Business Is WATCHING!
- My View For Awhile: March For Life 2018 Edition
- “The Triumph of Marcantonio Colonna” described
- ASK FATHER: Would anything prevent a priest from always using the traditional formula of absolution?
- 2 Feb – MADISON – Candlemas – Pontifical Mass at the Throne
- Card. Müller on authority of Popes, possibility of others correcting contradictory papal teachings
- ASK FATHER: If I remember a sin after confessing, should I interrupt the priest and tell him?
- Slithery misdirection from the National Sodomitical Reporter: Bishops who avoid scandal commit scandal
- An Armenian bishop “ordains” a deaconette
- Two seriously ugly signs of the times involving papal honors and the silencing of bells
- BOOK RECEIVED about Martin Luther (not King but by “King”)
- ASK FATHER: How do I find out which territorial parish I live in?
- Who cares what libs think? Boldly recover and use great traditional items and vesture of yore.
- ASK FATHER: If I confess to watching porn, must I say it was homosexual porn?
Let us pray…
Grant unto thy Church, we beseech Thee, O merciful God, that She, being gathered together by the Holy Ghost, may be in no wise troubled by attack from her foes. O God, who by sin art offended and by penance pacified, mercifully regard the prayers of Thy people making supplication unto Thee,and turn away the scourges of Thine anger which we deserve for our sins. Almighty and Everlasting God, in whose Hand are the power and the government of every realm: look down upon and help the Christian people that the heathen nations who trust in the fierceness of their own might may be crushed by the power of thine Arm. Through our Lord Jesus Christ, Thy Son, who liveth and reigneth with Thee in the unity of the Holy Ghost, God, world without end. R. Amen.
New miscellaneous releases and events
Yes, Fr. Z is taking ads…
A great hymnal…
Because it matters what children read…
I carry one of these super-strong rosaries in my spare mag pouch! The Swiss Guards have them too!
Because you don’t know when you are going to need to move fast or get along without the supermarket…
PLEASE RESPOND. Pretty pleeeease?Loading ...
WDTPRS POLLLoading ...
Fr. Z’s stuff is everywhere
Help support Fr. Z’s Gospel of Life work at no cost to you. Do you need a Real Estate Agent? Calling these people is the FIRST thing you should do!
GREAT causes to support
Help Monks in Wyoming (coffee – UPDATED LINK) and Norcia (beer) and the wonderful "Soap Sisters" of Summit, NJ!
Please follow me on Twitter!
If you travel internationally, this is a super useful gizmo for your mobile internet data. I use one. If you get one through my link, I get data rewards.
A book by an old friend…
Daily Archives: 22 July 2011
Just as the Patriotic (state run) Church in Communist China is planning to consecrate a few more bishops, here, I read at CWN that …
Leaders of Chinese Catholic Patriotic Association meets with Brazilian bishops, propose dialogue
A delegation from China’s government-backed … Continue reading
I mentioned in a post the transit of the Sun by the Space Shuttle, and in the course of that post the Transit of Venus, which is coming in 2012.
No sooner but… the blogosphere is so cool… but I get … Continue reading
Too bad about the ending of the Space Shuttle program.
But on the way back to earth, the Shuttle made a transit of the Sun which was caught on film. You can see the images at spaceweather.com.
Small versions.. but get the … Continue reading
The Canonical Defender, Prof. Ed Peters, canonist extraordinaire, has on his blog In The Light Of The Law, …
A note on proposals to require priests to violate the seal of confession
Concerning recent Irish and Australian proposals to require priests who, … Continue reading
On ZENIT there is an article on Archbp. Martin of Dublin, the sexual abuse scandal, and Church and state relations.
In the course of the article Archbp. Martin is called “Primate of Ireland”.
“But Father! But Father!”, some will say. “Isn’t the … Continue reading
Thomas Peters posted a couple of youtube videos of a sit down interview with the new Archbishop of Philadelphia Most Rev. Charles Chaput.
In some ways this interview was a bit more revealing than that which Archbp. Chaput did with John … Continue reading
I am sure many of you have seen this news, which I picked up from FNC:
OSLO, Norway – DEVELOPING: A powerful bomb tore open several Oslo buildings, including the prime minister’s office, on Friday, killing at least one … Continue reading
A friend over a the excellent The Sensible Bond has been asking some questions about a conference to take place at Colney All Saints Pastoral Centre in London. Here is his latest lament:
At least according to the publicity, London … Continue reading
After I posted the story on a legislative attempt in Ireland to force priests to break the Seal of Confession, I had a few emails suggesting that I was panicking, that such a thing would never happen, that this was … Continue reading
From a reader:
I have a (.pdf) copy of the 1910 Raccolta, which contains some 34 indulgenced novenas. These are beautiful prayers I am delighted to pray, but I’m told that as of “Indulgentiarum Doctrina” they are no longer indulgenced. I’m … Continue reading