BURNING URGENT QUESTION! The PLURAL of “Gin and Tonic”? WDTPRS POLL!

gin and tonicI want to circle us back to an old and very important debate.

What is the plural of the drink made from gin and tonic?

One is “a gin and tonic”.

Do we say two “gin and tonics” or “gins and tonic”?

This flashed back into my mind this afternoon while preparing Sunday Supper (which is getting more elaborate).  I made myself a gin and tonic, stuck in a DVD of the Inspector Morse series, and started prep.  Then I heard it.  I couldn’t believe me ears.  I had to go back and listen again.

So, I share it now.

• Woman: I don’t know. I’d had one or two g and t’s by that time.  Or should I say g’s and t?
  • Inspector Morse: Oh, g’s and t.  Definitely.

Strange guy, Inspector Morse.  A real mess.  But clever.

I digress.

What is your opinion on this issue of very great importance?

I usually caution voters to be sensitive to each other in the combox.  This time?   Heh… have at.  Make your best arguments for your position on this matter of grave importance.

Vote and defend your choice!

What is the plural of the drink made from gin mixed with tonic water?

View Results

Loading ... Loading ...

Technorati Tags: ,

This entry was posted in Global Killer Asteroid Questions, Linking Back, POLLS and tagged , . Bookmark the permalink.

88 Responses to BURNING URGENT QUESTION! The PLURAL of “Gin and Tonic”? WDTPRS POLL!

1. jrpascucci says:

As the tonic used to be served separately, so each could put in their own amount, gins and tonic is most appropriate.

Also, repost: http://wdtprs.com/blog/2007/01/tonic-for-writers-block/

Which I found from here: http://ironic1.com/2008/07/the_plural_of_gin_and_tonic.html

2. jesusthroughmary says:

The distributive property applies here. It is probably gins and tonics, since there are multiple discrete instances of both gin and tonic. So it is (gin and tonic)s for short.

3. GirlCanChant says:

Maybe just go with whichever is more prominent in the glass? ;-)

I voted for g & t’s, myself.

4. Andreas says:

Agree with JesusthroughMary…gins and tonics.

5. wolskerj says:

“Gins and Tonic” – on the model of “courts martial.” Tonic is an adjectival noun modifying the subject “gin.” . . . Unless it’s not.
    Maybe this is why english needs noun cases.

6. digdigby says:

How to get out of making a decision”:
    “Gin and tonic all around except Father Z there will have Kvass.”
    It is actually correct to use the singular of both. For instance, I know would say:
    “We’ll have five corned beef and cabbage and Father Z will have the Chinese buffet.”

7. Tina in Ashburn says:

my brilliant son suggests that “gin and tonic” is a multi-word label, so the plural of that label would be “gin and tonics”

8. bruno says:

What ‘jesusthroughmary’ said.

9. baymedlevel says:

How about 2 gin and toinic?

10. QMJ says:

I voted for “Gin and Tonics.” Since the full name of the drink is gin and tonic it just makes sense to me to put the “s” at the end rather than in the middle. Though in the final analysis I think I have to agree with GirlCanChant: “whichever is more prominent in the glass.”

11. APX says:

Father Z,

I can assure you the plural of gin and tonic is “gin and tonics” because though it is a compound, it is still a singular drink. For further assurance, I double-checked my handy Gregg Reference Manual, and it confirms this. If you’re still unsure, I could triple-check my findings with my copy of A Canadian Writer’s Reference Guide, or the Oxford Guide to English Grammar (I had to teach myself grammar because we weren’t taught it in school, hence all the grammar books), but I’m 100% certain the correct plural is “gin and tonics”.

12. John Nolan says:

The drink is called gin and tonic, irrespective of its volume or the ratio of gin to tonic. Since the standard pub measure of spirits in the UK is 25 ml you need to order a large G&T to prevent the gin from being totally swamped by even the smallest amount of tonic (a bottle known in the trade as a baby). You might say ‘a double gin and tonic’ but this relates to the amount of gin only. I can assure your readers that after a lifetime of drinking the stuff the correct plural is ‘gin and tonics’.

13. medievalist says:

Definitely Gin and Tonics.

The gin is constant, while the tonic can be broken into discrete (i.e. plural) parts so as to make the drink lighter or heavier as the day requires.

14. homeschoolofthree says:

How about….have more than two…then who cares which way you go?

15. Cathy says:

What if you desire a specific gin, say Tanqueray? :)

16. Widukind says:

I am going with “gins and tonic” – it sounds a little more exotic and hoity-toity.
    But actually, the primary drink is gin, and it is defined by its glass. So if there is more than one glass of gin, there would be multiple gins. Tonic is secondary and variable, and it is adjectival, describing what is in the gin. If the primary drink would be tonic, its plural would be tonics and gin. It is something like eggs and bacon, or waffles and syrup – we do not say eggs and bacons, waffles and syrups, or egg and bacons, waffle and syrups. The “and” I guess becomes something of a preposition, and would mean the equivalent of “with”. So it would be “gins with tonic” as it would be “eggs with bacon”.

17. Cazienza says:

It might depend on which of the two is more important to the individual in the step from ‘one’ to ‘two’ – more gin? More tonic?

Less sillyly, ‘gin and tonics’. The form ‘gins and tonic’ reminded me of plurals in English which derive from the last French injection, courts martial being one that springs to mind. What we see even with regards such items is an ‘Anglification’ whereby the plural form court martials is also found. This is because the combination ‘court martial’ is no longer seen as a noun followed by an adjective (and hence that the plural marker should come after the noun, not the adjective), but as a compound noun, and hence the post-nominal plural marker -s comes after the element ‘martial’.

The historical background of ‘court martial’ is not (I don’t believe) shared by ‘gin and tonic’, but the analysis of the formation of the plural can be equally applied. Are the elements ‘gin’ and ‘tonic’ in the minds (in early Chomskian terms, I-language) of English speakers separate and independent from each other, or are they regarded as a fixed and stable compound in the lexicon? If the former, we should expect the plural ‘gins and tonics’; if the latter, we should expect ‘gin and tonics.’

18. norancor says:

It’s sheep and shrimp. We’ll have seven gin and tonic.

19. Legisperitus says:

“Gins and tonic,” because “gin and tonics” would be logical but this is something British. :)

20. gloriainexcelsis says:

In my humble opinion, jesusthrough mary has it correctly. Gins and tonics.

21. John Nolan says:

Put the hyphens in, and it then becomes not only logical but also grammatically correct to refer to gin-and-tonics.

22. Bryan Boyle says:

Since we’re talking about a unary description of a single drink, IE the name one glass is “Gin and Tonic” as a singular whole…I’ve voting for ‘g and ts’. Not Gins and Tonics, which would indicate a separate reality, but a singularity composed of two parts without which its reality could not stand as a description.

I mean, we don’t speak of the Holies Trinities, do we?

23. Maria says:

I have the perfect foolproof answer for you Father.

How about, “I’ll have a Gin and Tinic please – no…….I’ll have two please”
    or
    “Gin and Tonic twice please”

If this dowesn’t suffice then simply “Two pints of Lager Please” – then you should be safe enough lol

24. Maria says:

(Sorry I am not intoxitated, I hit the post button before checking for typing errors – blush)

25. I didn’t vote, because I had a gin & tonic back in 1989 and one was enough. :)

26. Tim Ferguson says:

Obviously, it should be gins and tonic. Gin is what makes the drink, tonic is merely the accompaniment, and thus in a subordinate relationship to the gin (even if it is more in quantity). If one were to order a cheeseburger and onion, and then double the order, one would order two cheeseburgers and onion, not two cheeseburger and onions.

The connective “and” is here serving in a quasi-adjectival function: gin with tonic, which would clearly be pluralized as gins with tonic.

I can, however, see some merit to the plural retaining the singular form.

27. dep says:

The plural of “gin and tonic” is, as anyone truly familiar with them and who travels in polite circles, is “gin and tonices.” For those who are familiar with them but who do not keep polite company, plural of “gin and tonic” is “bloody awful hangover.”

28. I agree instinctively with jesusthroughmary, though I waver significantly with the authority of Inspector Morse was against me.

Much more important is the photograph. I take it that it is a photo from the internet somewhere. Now it may just be the colour case but I have a distinct suspicion that there is a slice of lime squashed onto the rim of the glass. I’ll leave aside the squashing on the rim as opposed to the proper floating in the drink bit. But the lime (if it be so) is worthy of a canon all to itself in the “De Poenis in Singula Delicta” section of the Code. For authority on this, I refer you to the former Daily Telegraph blogger Gerard Warner. Sadly his original post is no longer extant but my report of it is: Is it just me?

[From His Hermeneuticalness himself!]

29. mdoneil says:

When I was in school in Madrid one could go to one of the cafe’s in the plaza and order a gin and tonic. A 350ml bottle of Schwepp’s tonic was provided along with a highball glass with several ice cubes. The waiter then poured gin into the glass until you said stop. You added tonic as you saw fit and could nurse a single drink for several hours if done properly. Sometimes being a poor student had its upside.

30. AnAmericanMother says:

All I can tell you is that in the Bar of the Third Turtle Inn on Providenciales, B.W.I., now of blessed memory, ALL the expatriate Englishmen referred to “gin and tonics”. And I guess they should know.

The French Foreign Legion vet drank Pernod.

31. RichardT says:

A good G&T transcends its mere ingredients and becomes not a mixture of the two parts but a drink in its own right.

“Gin and tonic” is therefore not two nouns but one (a ‘phrasal noun’?), so the plural is “gin and tonics”.

32. Gregg the Obscure says:

To avert controversy, make one large G&T in a pitcher, then pour it into the tumblers. (Better yet, drink pink gin.) But if ye must, they ought be gins and tonics lest a literal sort take a single portion of gin and dilute it with too many pours of the mix.

33. RichardT says:

Fr Finigan, I think Adrienne made the most sensible comment on your blog:
    “Just gin and olives, thank you very much”

But as you mention Gerald Warner, what has happened to him? He seems to be confined to the Scotsman; has his English visa been withdrawn?

34. r.j.sciurus says:

I take my role as squirrel here
    Quite “sciurusly” yet with love
    So mischievously I must cast my vote
    A furry “none of the above.”

Gins and tonic or gin and tonics
    Will not serve one the right mix.
    For 2 with 1 or 1 with 2
    Is a drink in need of a fix.

My offering therefore on this poser du jour
    Is simple one rhyming with phonics
    It boasts of equality and Benedictine balance
    It’s simply, “Gins and Tonics.”

35. RichardT says:

Possibly Inspector Morse is using the plural to refer to the number of gins in a single drink, rather than the number of drinks.

36. r.j.sciurus says:

Should I be concerned that my cuckoo clock went off as I posted that?

37. MQ says:

I’ll have two drinks, bit gin and tonic please.

38. Genna says:

Mine’s a gin and French, thanks.

39. amenamen says:

GIN and TONIC, for everybody.

The problem is in thinking of the two liquids as discreet quantities, when they really should be seen as unlimited opportunities.

“Gin” is a substance, like the water of the sea, which remains “gin,” no matter how vast the quantity, and no matter how many oceans into which it is divided.

Do you order “coffee,” the real stuff, or do you order “a coffee,” which comes with raspberry flavored syrup in an over-priced styrofoam cup?
    If you need to say how many persons will be partaking, you could say “three glasses (or buckets, or tubs) of gin and tonic. ”
    Or you could be more specific and say “Tanqueray.” And hold the tonic.

40. thereseb says:

Genna

You are wise to stick to the Gin and French

What would Gin and It be in the plural – Gin and Them?

41. I agree with what Tina in Ashburn said. I think a gin-and-tonic is a single entity, so the plural would be gin-and-tonics. Unless you’re mixing two different brands of gin, I suppose. You could have a singular gins-and-tonic with Tanqueray and Hendrick’s, maybe.

But when I was bartending, we’d just say gin-tonics anyway, without the “and”.

42. Charlotte Allen says:

The complete phrase “gin and tonic” is a singular, referring to a specific drink in the singular– like “rum and Coke” or ‘bourbon and branch water.” “Waiter, I’ll have a gin and tonic, please.” Note the singular article modifying the drink as a single item even though it has two components (actually three, if you count the lime). So when the phrase is pluralized, the “s” should go at the end of the entire phrase (the name of the drink) and nowhere else–because it’s the entire phrase–the drink–that’s being pluralized, not its individual components. Therefore: “My wife would like one as well. Make that two gin and tonics.”

43. disco says:

If you order two gin and tonics you get two glasses of that mixture. If you order two gins and tonic you may get one glass of that mixture at double strength.

44. According to CS Lewis as portrayed by Sir Anthony Hopkins in the wonderful picture “Shadowlands”, the correct nomenclature is “Gins and Tonic”. As an earlier poster suggested, along the lines of “Courts Martial” or possibly “Attorneys General”.

Tanquery or Beefeaters with Canada Dry tonic and a twist of lime for me!

45. APX says:

@RichardT

But then that would be stated as a “double gin and tonic” or “triple gin and tonic”, “a gin and tonic with two shots of gin” etc.

Now in an incident such as that, when there’s more than one gin and tonic ordered, but they’re not the same, one would say, “two gin and tonics, one double and one single, please” or “a double and a single gin and tonic, please,” or something along those lines.

46. benedetta says:

amenamen, I am going with your answer. Neither gin and tonics nor gins and tonic. In English we use the word, hair to mean all that grows out of the scalp, and in Italian the word to refer to what is growing on top of head collectively is the plural form…When you get a haircut you want each one trimmed…Ah, deep thoughts…

47. JP Borberg says:

All this discussion implies there is actually no correct answer.

I mean, who is the authority who decides if the drink is a gin to which some tonic has happened to be added, or if it is a species of which both gin and tonic are essential constituents.

Though since I started typing, disco has posted a reply with which I am compelled to agree.

48. nanetteclaret says:

Using the rule as illustrated by “gins and tonic,” would oblige one to say, “two scotches and water” if one was having them. Somehow “scotches and water” sounds awkward, while “scotch and waters” sounds correct. Therefore, I will vote for “gin and tonics,” although in this 105 degree Texas heat, I’m afraid I’ll have to make mine two margaritas, please.

49. pfhawkins says:

I voted gins and tonic, because lets face it: nobody takes shots of tonic water.

50. If you would only stick to red wine and dark chocolate, you wouldn’t have this problem.

51. albinus1 says:

If I want just one drink with gin and vermouth, do I order a martinus?

***

***

Presumably what would work for “gin and tonic” would also work for “whiskey and water” and “Scotch and soda”. Has a precedent been established in forming the plural of either of these?

This website wants to use “Scotches and sodas” as the plural:

I agree with those who argue that “gin and tonic” is generally treated as, pronounced as, and thought of as a single entity, as a “gin-and-tonic” rather than as a congeries of separate ingredients, a “gin. and. tonic.” So “gin and tonics” seems to make the most sense, at least for colloquial usage.

52. albinus1 says:

nobody takes shots of tonic water

I often drink tonic water by itself, over ice, sometimes with lime.

53. isnowhere says:

I never considered that there might be a singular form…

54. dep says:

An even greater crisis is illustrated in the discussion above: Only once weas Tanqueray mentioned, and not even once was the other critical ingredient — not counting the quinine, of course — mentioned at all. It is, of course, Rose’s Cordial Lime Juice. Which has to fresh, almost fluorescent yellow; it can turn a kind of varnish color, in which case you might as well use varnish.

A bit of Tanqueray-and-tonic trivia: under black light, it becomes opaque and bright light blue, like a glass of milk under black light.

These things are important to know. Who knows when they will be crucial to the completion of a novel. Writing it, not reading it, I mean.

55. Bob says:

The drink is called “Gin and Tonic” so the plural would be Gin and Tonics. To instill (sorry) some variety in the drink one could use two or more Gin types and get Gins and Tonic.

56. albinus1 says:

Bob’s comment reminds me of something that was drilled into us in German class, about the different ways German (more precise than English in many ways) has of saying “another”. If you want another glass of the same beer you have been drinking, you ask for “noch ein Beer”. If you ask for “ein anderes Beer”, lit. “another beer”, you will be understood to be requesting a different *type* of beer.

57. Charles E Flynn says:

Grammar Police a.k.a. GrammarCops , also defers to ironic1.com.

58. Gins and tonic–you know, like attorneys-general.

59. Central Valley says:

It matters not. Drink and enjoy!!!!!!!!!!!

60. Dennis Martin says:

What I don’t understand is why Albinus1 is referring to one and more berries and types of berries when the topic is mixed drinks.

61. AnAmericanMother says:

Ran across this charmingly typical British obit while I was looking for something else . . . .

She could kill Nazis with her bare hands: Nancy ‘the White Mouse’ Wake has died

The money quote for our purposes:

She lived the first two years of her life back in London at the Stafford Hotel in Piccadilly, enjoying six gin and tonics every afternoon at her reserved seat in its downstairs bar until a heart attack in 2003 slowed her down.

62. albinus1 says:

I don’t believe I said anything about “berries”. My recollections of German class and the way German distinguishes between “another beer” = “another glass of the same kind of beer” vs. “another beer” = “a different kind of beer” was prompted by Bob’s comment that “gins and tonic” could be interpreted to mean that one was requesting two different types of gin with one’s tonic, rather than two glasses each of which contains gin-and-tonic.

63. APX says:

@Brian Sullivan
    Gins and tonic–you know, like attorneys-general.

The rules for the pluralization of “attorney general” are not the same as “gin and tonic”. The first compound has two recognized plural forms, “attorneys general” and “attorney generals.” The first form is the preferred form because it adds the plural sign to the chief element of the compound.

This is not true for “gin and tonic” because it is the name of a drink, and therefore the entire compound is treated as a singular noun and the ‘s’ is added to the end of tonic.

And to think my friends used to think I was wasting my time staying home on Friday nights to study grammar rather than go out on pub crawls. Pssh!

64. Patti Day says:

I’m on duty, I’ll just have whatever Lewis is having.

65. Enoch the Sleestak says:

Meh.
    Says I, a pint of plain is your only man.

66. Dennis Martin says:

I was trying to be discreet. I believe you meant to write “ein anderes Bier” and “noch ein Bier.” Unless you were writing in Germlish :-)

Hint: Himbeer, Erdbeer, Weissbier.

67. Gail F says:

As an editor I say “gin and tonics.” The name is three words but an implied compound word, so I would put the s after tonic. “Attorney general” is a term of rank — there are attorneys general, postmasters general, surgeons general, etc. It doesn’t imply a compound word, it is two separate words.

68. ghp95134 says:

Taking a hint from the zookeeper who was placing a written order for his zoo:

Dear Sir,
    Please send me two mongooses
    ” …

Hmmmm, he thought, that didn’t sound right; so he started over:

Dear Sir,
    Please send me two mongeese
    ” …

Hmmmm, he thought, that didn’t sound right either! But he had a brainstorm and rewrote the letter:

Dear Sir,
    Please send me one mongoose; and, while you are at it, send me another one as well.
    ” …

THEREFORE:
    “I’ll have a gin and tonic; and, while you’re at it, bring me another one as well.

69. jflare says:

Well, I’m no alcohol connoisseur, but here’s how I see it:
    Gin and tonic sounds like a defined drink to me, more or less like a chemical formula. I don’t know if it’s one part gin to one part tonic, two parts gin to one tonic, the other way around, or another ratio, but it sounds like it’s a ratio.

Well, once you go plural, you have the choice of either declaring it to be one drink that’s described in plural, so “gin and tonics” would make sense. On the other hand, one could argue that the barkeep might “play dirty” as a joke and give you twice the tonic, but the same amount of gin, precisely because you didn’t specify the plural for both.

I don’t honestly know, but I could go either way.
    If anything, I might settle it by asking for 2 Kahluas.

Afterward, given the amount of alcohol I typically drink, I’d probably need to hail a taxi.

70. don Jeffry says:

Widukind says:
    7 August 2011 at 4:01 pm “If the primary drink would be tonic, its plural would be tonics and gin. It is something like eggs and bacon, or waffles and syrup – we do not say eggs and bacons, waffles and syrups, or egg and bacons, waffle and syrups. The “and” I guess becomes something of a preposition, and would mean the equivalent of “with”. So it would be “gins with tonic” as it would be “eggs with bacon”.”
    Widukind, This whole problem is to be seen as ‘countable’ and ‘non countable’. Eggs are countable. Bacon is not. Strips of bacon are countable. Milk, sand, gin and tonic are not countable. But, in our society we have things that are ‘understood’ such as when a child in school asks for two milks, we all know that that is a request for two cartons or bottles of milk; same thing with ‘coffees’ meaning plural of cups of coffees. I go with ‘gin and tonics’ as an entity which is countable. I would fear that if I asked for 3 gins and tonic, the bartender would think I am asking for 3 gins in 3 glasses and perhaps only one gin was to be accompanied by some ‘uncountable’ tonic or perhaps two gins so then the quantity of needed tonic would be in doubt. Therefore, by ordering 3 entities that are identical, gin and tonics, there is no problem. So a person should at times in life “Just say no” and use correct English when the element that is normally ‘understood’ is no longer understood and order the drink as “three glasses of gin and tonic please.” IMHO But I repeat: I go with ‘gin and tonics’ as an entity which is countable.

71. Organorum says:

I would agree with Tim Ferguson that the plural is gins and tonic, but I’m not sure that I agree with his statement that there is more tonic than gin!

A few years ago on pilgrimage in Lourdes our group made for the hotel bar and the young girl running the bar was obviously unaware of the accepted quantities of gin and tonic. By the end of the week there were far more empty gin bottles than empty tonic water bottles!

To circumvent this grammatical argument you could always drink a “Queen Mother” – a drink named after Her Late Majesty Queen Elizabeth, the Queen Mother. Take a small tumbler and add two lumps of ice and a slice of lemon. Pour in a large measure of good gin (nothing less then 40% proof) and a splash of Dubonnet. Stir and drink. Following the late Queen Mother’s example one should drink several!!

72. SK Bill says:

Well, you could just say, “Gimme a gin and tonic, and make it a double.”

In a bar, either g & t’s or g’s & t will get you what you want. However … “gin and tonic” as a unit serves as a noun — the name of a thing. Therefore, the correct way to make a plural (at least in the publication that I edit) would be “gin and tonics.”

And now I’ll have that double, please.

73. Archicantor says:

I vote g&t’s. The name of the drink is a “gin and tonic”. It’s not “gin… with tonic”. I would happily say, “I’ll have two gins with tonic, please.” My wife and I developed a taste for G&Ts while living in Britain (they were being served when she was at a Buckingham Palace reception and met the queen!). With another baby on the way, we’re just drinking “T’s” (the quinine is actually great for preventing night leg cramps in pregnant ladies).

74. Titus says:

It’s one compound noun, and the second element is not merely descriptive (cf., Attorneys General). The whole thing should be made plural together, “Gin and Tonics.”

75. Scott W. says:

I vote that if your drink of choice needs a mixer, it’s time to find a new drink.

76. Ed the Roman says:

A British character in Asterix and Obelix is named Ginnantonix, indicating that that phrase is of very great antiquity. [ROFL!]

Fr. Z's Gold Star Award

77. chironomo says:

The multi-word models of “Courts Martial” or Attorneys General” doesn’t apply because, as has been said several times here… Gin and Tonic is a name, albeit a multi-word name. Two “Manhattans”… two “Screwdrivers” … two “Sex on the Beaches”, and two “Gin and Tonics”.

78. irishgirl says:

I don’t drink-never acquired a taste for beer, wine or liquor-but I voted for ‘gin and tonics’.
    That’s how I’ve always heard it said, especially in the movies or on TV.

79. worm says:

fathers-in-law, courts martial, attorneys general, professors emeritus, Brothers Grimm, etc – These don’t apply. The second half of the phrase is a postpositive adjective.

“Scotch and sodas” and “gin and tonics” – These are names of drinks. As such I would treat them as compound nouns and the “s” belongs at the end.

“Whiskeys and water” – I don’t see this as the name of a drink but as a description of how you want your drink (whiskey) prepared. The “s” goes on the name of the drink.

80. Martial Artist says:

First, as suggested by worm, et alii, the distinctive ingredient in a G & T is the gin—gin is the spirit, tonic is the “mixer.” Saying Gins and Tonic, is thus a close equivalent to saying Gins with Tonic, hence I opted for Gins and Tonic.

Of course, with the rare exception of those times when one is in a warm and humid climate (in which circumstance a G&T with a twist of lime is refreshing), the principal error in either usage is avoidance of the far superior brown spirits (in order of my personal preference): (1 ~60%) single malt Scotch whisky, (2 ~20%) blended Scotch whisky, (3 ~10%) Irish whiskey, (4 ~10%) Canadian whisky. All taken with room temperature still water, to taste.

Pax et bonum,
    Keith Töpfer

81. Ed the Roman says:

‘A German walks into a bar and orders a martini. The bartender says, “Dry?” The German replies, “No, just one”. (Ba-dump)’

A centurion walks into a bar and says, “Give me a martinus.” The bartender, puzzled, asks, “Don’t you mean a martini?” The centurion replies, “Look, bud, if I want a double I’ll ask for it.”

[I can't give you another Star today. You know that, right? o{]:¬) ]

82. diffal says:

Well I rarely have more than one bottle of Gin in a sitting but I have been know to use more than one bottle of tonic :) therefore I choose Gin and tonics

83. cl00bie says:

“gin and tonic”s :)

84. Ed the Roman says:

Just give that second star to the Poor Souls, Father.

85. albinus1 says:

Hah! Good for you — serves me right for being careless at the end of a very long day! Serves me double right for not catching it when I was confronted with it!

I have a policy in class that a student who catches me out on a mistake, particularly an elementary one, always gets an extra point or two.

86. Supertradmum says:

Gin and tonics, not because it is correct according to rule, but according to custom….g and ts

87. SisterTeresePeter says:

My father was an Englishman, and he would always say, “Mum, how many “ginnies” have you had, luv? (Of course, “Mum” didn’t refer to me! Oh, and there never was a question of WHICH gin–it was ALWAYS Tanquery.

88. SisterTeresePeter says:

EdtheRoman: I don’t get the first joke.