I have in the past posted a request for prayers for a seminarian who has inoperable brain cancer, Philip Gerard Johnson.  I renew my request that you pray for a real miracle.

That said, Mr. Johnson posted on his blog Caritas non ficta a photo of seminarians and/or priests.  A photo sure to send liberals into a spittle-flecked paroxysm of anguish for our future and grimy insinuations involving the Spirit of Vatican II, etc.

Enjoy!  And then go visit Mr. Johnson.

NB: Read the sign in the background.  C’mon… lean into the screen….

WDTPRS kudos to these men, bound for service at our altars.

UPDATE 1624 GMT:

I am informed that Philip Johnson’s bishop, His Excellency Most Rev. Michael Burbidge of Raleigh, has asked for people to pray for a miracle through the intercession of Fr. Thomas Frederick Price, whose page on their diocesan website you can visit here.

It would be good to focus your prayers for Philip, really focus them through the intercession of Servant of God Fr. Price.  If everyone is praying through the intercession of one figure, that helps the Servant of God’s cause.

Technorati Tags: ,

This entry was posted in Brick by Brick, Just Too Cool, Lighter fare, The future and our choices and tagged , . Bookmark the permalink.

19 Responses to Fun and inspiring at the same time. And a request for prayers for a seminarian with cancer

1. Samthe44 says:

I hope Mr. Johnson recovers and is able to serve The Lord. Dominus Eocum (not correct, I know, but the only way I could think of saying ‘May The Lord be with him’; I welcome corrections).

Love the birettas! This picture made my day.

2. wanda says:

I have for a long while now been asking for Ven. Pauline’s intercession for Phillip. Will continue.

3. thickmick says:

Who says traditionalists don’t have a sense a humor?!

4. APX says:

@Thickmick

I always found traditionalists to have the best sense of humour and most amusing.

5. AnAmericanMother says:

They ARE progressive . . . just progressing in a different direction.
    That church used to be Southern Baptist but left that denomination and is now an unaffiliated “anything goes” sort of place.
    I think they’d have the vapors at the sight of a biretta.
    Will renew prayers to Ven. Pauline Jaricot.

6. benedetta says:

I have a biography of Ven. Pauline Jaricot for young adults that I have been meaning to look at. Actually Fr. Z I ordered it when you last mentioned this blessed. As I just completed another biography of a famous Catholic woman I will start the one about Ven. Pauline Jaricot now and as I read of her life and works I will pray for her intercession on this seminarian’s behalf.

7. tealady24 says:

Phillip has been on my daily prayer list for quite a while now. I too will invoke Ven. Pauline Jaricot. God bless all who are in this valley, as always, I ask Our Lady’s intercession.

8. HyacinthClare says:

What are “progessive” Christians?

9. Nathan says:

What is also way too cool is that Bishop Burbridge had his entire diocese offer up a novena for Mr. Johnson’s healing. Now there’s a shepherd!

In Christ,

10. Consilio et Impetu says:

May Venerable Fr. Price look over Mr. Johnson and intercede to the Divine Physician and Eternal High Priest, Our Lord Jesus Christ on Mr. Johnson’s behalf.

I love the photo of those in cassocks and birettas. More should (or perhaps be mandated) to do the same.

11. amenamen says:

@ “NB: Read the sign in the background. C’mon… lean into the screen….”

Yes. A very funny addendum: “NO GUARANTEE.”

12. Dr. Sebastianna says:

If I were to see a Priest walking down the street like that… I would be very surprised. I’m not sure I would know what to think… except… “I wonder where there church is; I’d like to receive the Sacraments there…” What would happen if… all Seminarians and Priests were to dress like that… almost all of the time? What effects would that have on: 1) the behavior of Seminarians and Priests; 2) the public’s perception of Seminarians, Priests, and the Church; 3) Seminarians’ and Priests’ self-perception/identity, and; 4) vocations and retention rates in the Priesthood? As a psychologist, I believe that self-presentation is a fundamental aspect of identity. And I do recall a quote from Don Gabrielle Amorth (an important exorcist of Rome) that the devil hates cassocks… But also, I wonder if those cassocks are uncomfortable… I seem to recall, that SSPX folks ice skate in them… so how uncomfortable could they be?

13. ipadre says:

It’s only a matter of time. The liberals are getting older and grayer. Yet, the seminaries are mostly filled with solid, faith filled young (and older) men. Let’s see who gets the last laugh! LOL!!!

14. inara says:

LOVE IT!! :o)

Good things are happening here (I’m in the other diocese of NC ~ Charlotte)…

The first EF Solemn High Mass since anyone can remember was held here on the Feast of St. Anne, with all Diocesan priests & the Bishop in choir as well!

Our 2 bishops successfully rallied the Catholic voters to put pressure on the General Assembly to overturn the Governor’s veto of the Women’s Right to Know Act!

We have 10 seminarians in the pipeline from our parish alone!! Most are in Rome or at The Josh…

15. Dr. Sebastianna–
    Cassocks are far more comfortable that a clerical suit, in my opinion. They are cooler in the summer and warmer in the winter. And, I have never been mistaken for a Protestant minister while wearing one, Orthodox priest yes, but not a Protestant.

16. RichardT says:

One thing always puzzled me about this business of asking not-yet-saints for intercessions.

If God does not (for whatever ineffable reason) want Fr. Price to be canonised, does that mean that Mr. Johnson won’t be cured?

Obviously I hope that’s not the case, but it does confuse me.

17. David L. says:

RichardT, I have a similar concern. There is not an inevitable connection between beatification and canonization. It strikes me that until one is declared a Saint, it is only prudent that we should continue to pray for the repose his soul, and not “to” him.

18. Craig says:

There are three faith communities in that little area; the former Baptist community in the pic (gorgeous building BTW), a former (or still, hard to say) United Methodist community known now for its rigorous outreach programs and rock filled “worship” services, and one of the finest Catholic Churches in the metro (headed by a true priest, Msgr. Blacet, a priest for over 60 years) that has long lines everyday for Confession. Fascinating area to be sure.

As for cassocks, I am sure the old (and I mean old) ladies inside were searching for their nitro pills