St. Maximillian Kolbe, pray for Catholic Media

St. Maximilian Koble, priest and martyr, has a special relevance for Catholic media.  I hope all of you will think to say a prayer to him for the conversion of those people who use catholic media to confuse the faithful and distort the teachings of the Church and to keep faithful, charitable and courageous those who are dedicated to making Christ and His Church known and loved in their fullness.

From our friends at Rorate:

Several days of confinement had not broken Father Kolbe: on August 14, 1941, on the Vigil of the Assumption of the Blessed Virgin Mary, his captors ended his life with a lethal injection. They thought they were crushing him for all eternity – as the instruments of his martyrdom, they were delivering him to the protection of his Most Holy and Immaculate Queen, the Immaculata Conceptio and Assumpta, who was ready to present him to her Son, as a witness, as a priest, as a servant, for a life of eternal glory and praise.
On the Feast of the Assumption, his earthly remains would be incinerated – the Assumption, the most ancient of Marian feasts, had been a part of his life from the beginning. On the day in which he was born, January 8, 1894, he was baptized, as Rajmund, in his Parish Church, the Church of the Assumption. The Assumption, the moment in which the Queen of Martyrs, that totality of heavenly love on earth (see below), completes the earthly journey that had begun with her Immaculate Conception and enters the Glory of love – that was the moment chosen by the Lord from all eternity for the reception of his blessed soul.

Sancte Maximiliane, ora pro nobis!

Technorati Tags: , ,

This entry was posted in New Evangelization, Our Catholic Identity, The future and our choices and tagged , , . Bookmark the permalink.

9 Responses to St. Maximillian Kolbe, pray for Catholic Media

1. frjim4321 says:

I have always been taken with the compelling story of Maximilian Kolbe. It stands to reason that he would be a patron for those in media because he was committed to printing the truth in his newspaper regardless of the consequences. He seemed to be without guile, using Catholic media not in a self-serving way but in a heroic way. Yes there are certainly persons all along the ideological continuum – from NPR to EWTN – who blur and blend Catholic teaching with their own biases. Kolbe should stand as an example to them.

2. Phillip says:

St. Maximilian Kolbe is the saint whose name I chose for my confirmation. He was awesome.

3. frjim4321 says:

One of the boys we baptized at the Easter Vigil took the name Maximilian. The homily was based on the three saints that the catechumens chose. Reading the story of Maximilian was very inspiring.

4. Liz says:

It seems a good day to pray for Fr. Gordon MacRae thesestonewalls.com

5. tealady24 says:

Ave Maria, gratia plena, Dominus tecum. Benedicta tu in mulieribus, et benedictus fructus ventris tui, Iesus. Sancta Maria, Mater Dei, ora pro nobis, peccatoribus, nunc, et in hora mortis nostrae. Amen.
    St. Maximillian Kolbe, pray for us.

6. pinoytraddie says:

I Fell in Love with His Story,Through Leonardo Defilippis’s Dramatization.

St Kolbe,Help us To Love Mary and to Know Our Catholic Faith deeply!

7. digdigby says:

Thirty years ago as a Jew on a pilgrimage to Auschwitz I began my conversion in the basement cell where Father Kolbe was starved to death with nine other men. He gave his life to take the place of a complete stranger. That hideous dark cell was filled with the light of votive candles. The most beautiful light I have ever seen. It is miraculous how many prisoners survived (against impossible odds) who had even brief contact with this Martyr of Charity. One was a Jewish boy of 14 at the time whose entire family had been murdered. He embraced Father Kolbe and wept and wept – not even knowing him and not knowing why. He miraculously survived and lived to testify for the beatification. As a youth this saint had a vision of the Blessed Virgin. She offered him two crowns: the white crown of purity and the red crown of martyrdom. He chose both of them. Just like Little Therese, he thought people missed out on the lovable simplicity of his beloved Immaculata, whom he called ‘Little Mother’.

8. irishgirl says:

I first learned about St. Maxmilian ‘way back in 1971, around the time of his beatification. I read an article in Readers’ Digest about him, and a community of Discalced Carmelite nuns I knew mentioned him in one of their letters to me, and sent a holy card of him. I also saw a TV documentary on him that same year.
    I was in Fatima, Portugal, the day of his canonization in 1982 in Rome. Three months later I attended a Mass in St. Patrick’s Cathedral in NYC in honor of his new Sainthood. Four former concentration camp inmates carried a picture of him in procession at the start of Mass; they wore the striped uniforms of their imprisonment, not as a badge of humiliation and shame, but of honor. And the man whose life was saved by St. Maxmilian’s heroic sacrifice was present at the Mass, though I didn’t see him myself.
    St. ‘Max’, please pray for today’s media, especially for those who call themselves ‘Catholic’, but don’t stand up and defend the Faith!

9. I recall first learning about Father Kolbe in a Reader’s Digest article too– if it was the same one, he certainly made an impression on an 9-year old boy, because I never forgot that tale of courage.