Search Fr. Z’s Blog
SHOPPING ONLINE? Please, always come here first!
Enter Amazon through my link. Use the search bar below. Fr Z will get a small percentage of what you spend.
Here's Fr. Z's "catholic" search for Amazon: US HERE - UK HERE And you do need a Kindle! - HERE
“This blog is like a fusion of the Baroque ‘salon’ with its well-tuned harpsichord around which polite society gathered for entertainment and edification and, on the other hand, a Wild West “saloon” with its out-of-tune piano and swinging doors, where everyone has a gun and something to say. Nevertheless, we try to point our discussions back to what it is to be Catholic in this increasingly difficult age, to love God, and how to get to heaven.” – Fr. Z
YOUR RECENT COMMENTS
- JARay: I am an Instituted Acolyte and have been so for 42 years. I do live in Australia and not the USA. I have never had the chance to act as a Subdeacon but I would have loved having the chance...
- Atra Dicenda, Rubra Agenda: There are ritual difference s between a subdeacon (which basically almost never exists now outside of Trad groups) and a straw subdeacon though, yes?
- ScottSenffner: I wish I could have gone to this conference . I have been part of the Acton Institute for many years and would love someday to mingle with all of you.
- Fr. Kelly: In my diocese of Lincoln, we have a regular program of installati on of permanent lectors and acolytes, following the stipulatio ns of Ministeria Quaedam as Fr. Z pointed out. Pope Paul...
- Augustine Thompson O.P.: I agree with Fr. Z. Mysteria Quaedam “abolished ” the “major” order of subdeacon, and provided that “the functions heretofore assigned to the subdeacon are entrusted to the...
- robtbrown: Another eggplant pasta recipe, this from Ormond Plantation , just west of New Orleans and a few miles from Oak Alley. Eggplant Maurepas Eggplant slices lightly breaded and fried served...
- robtbrown: I recommend The Intellectu al Life by Sertillang es. It can be downloaded pdf.
- robtbrown: Semper Gumby, I was not defending Francis nor denying that some of his comments are confusing. Like certain other Jesuits whose works I am familiar with, he seems out of touch...
- PTK_70: If you think that Jesus of Nazareth – his life, his person – is little more than a blip on the radar screen of human history, there really is no reason to identify as Cathol...
- mepoindexter: The way I look at it is when it comes to your own kids, you’ ve got to stick with what works. As the dad it’s my job to do everything in my power to make sure they get to...
- arga: I read Fr SchallR 17;s piece this morning. It’s easily one of his best short essays. Really terrific. What a treasure the man is.
- LarryW2LJ: This is all the reason I need; and it was summed up by one who was so very much a frail human sinner- just like me: Simon Peter answered him, “Master, to whom shall we go? You have the...
- NH Knight: “AA1 025” , “The School of Darkness 8221; by Bella Dodd and “The Catholic Church and the Soviet Government ” by Dr. Dennis J Dunn paint a picture of...
- Ylonila del Mar: This might be an aside, but I guess I can see why the National Council of Churches in the Philippine s has ties with communist rebels here. Lately they’ ;ve been going all-out...
- TopTomato: I am wondering if there is an error at the end of this sentence: “We are truly free but our freedom is the fruit of His will for us His images. 221; I don’ t understand it...
- SanSan: As a “rem nant” ; of Holy Mother Church, I will stay in the “bar k” of Peter, holding tightly to the mast, until I am delievered into the arms of my Savior. It will...
- Sandy: “Her etics insist on staying in the ChurchR 30;” Reading “Ung odly Rage” ; years ago burned that statement into my mind. When the “her etic” ; nuns were...
- GregB: The Brown Scapular of Our Lady of Mt. Carmel has a link to the last Fatima apparition during the Miracle of the Sun. The three children saw a series of visions, one of which was of Our Lady...
- Andrew: A Romano senatu venit edictum, ut posthac liberum sit cuique vesci, quibus velit. Per me quidem vel LIMACIBUS vescatur, qui volet. (Erasmus: Colloquia)
- Grateful to be Catholic: Father, stop, you are killing me. Snails in garlicky butter, or is it buttery garlic, to be sopped up with fresh, crusty bread: to die for! My father once went to a resta...
- LarryW2LJ: I had escargot only once in my life. Maybe it was just me; but I sensed no distinct flavor other than the garlic butter they were served in. I know that people tend to get put off,...
- Grant M: “Go to any Novus Ordo Mass and see the proportion of young people to old people”. Well, location, location, location. One Sunday morning last year I attended the NO Mass at a parish in...
- richiedel: In addition to its nearness to the solstice, another reason why we celebrate the feast of the Nativity of St. John the Baptist on June 24 is that it’s six months before Christm...
- Lorra: My priest said that without sanctifyin g grace, even if you saved a man from drowning, that heroic and charitable act will avail you nothing for Eternal Life.
- frjim4321: Parables aren’ ;t allegories , they are lessons with an intentiona l point. We’r e not free to just say what they mean for “me, ” Today, it’s clear that...
CLICK and say your daily offerings!
- ASK FATHER: What can the acolyte do and wear?
- Day 1 #ActonU – Getting Started – Days and Deaths
- “Disinformation” and some notes about the World Council of Churches
- Catholic? Why?
- “Perdonamose!” Midsummer Snails, John’s Birthday Feast and You.
- Fr. Z’s Kitchen: The South
- Pres. Trump and the Brown Scapular
- WDTPRS – 4th Sunday after Pentecost: “HEY YOU!” *smack*
- Your Sunday Sermon Notes
- Surprise article at Commonweal about participation in the Traditional Latin Mass
- Speaking of Eucharistic Processions…
- WDTPRS: 11th Ordinary Sunday – ‘firmness’ and ‘infirmity, ‘intention’ and ‘action’
- QUIZ: What is this thing? – SOLVED!
- “The finest rosaries I have ever seen” have… returned! – UPDATES
- GREEN! Photos of green vestments for Solemn Mass in production, and a pitch
- 14 June – Elisha, Old Testament Prophet: salt, bears and you.
- READER FEEDBACK to post: Why we Say The Black and Do The Red
- ASK FATHER: Validity of sacraments from a schismatic priest
- A great restoration @CathedralStPaul
- Terrific photos of traditional rite ordination in England!
- Concerning @JamesMartinSJ talking at Vatican @LaityFamilyLife sponsored @WMOF2018
- BEER @MONKSOFNORCIA PROGRESS
- Your Sunday Sermon Note Belated
- Are you downsizing? Be careful!
- Just to put your day into perspective
- ASK FATHER: Celebrate Prudence and not “Pride”!
- Why we Say The Black and Do The Red
- Disturbing short film “The Confession” that somehow won Catholic award
- Father’s Day gift idea – from the “hearts”
- PHILIPPINES: To arm priests or not to arm?
Let us pray…
Grant unto thy Church, we beseech Thee, O merciful God, that She, being gathered together by the Holy Ghost, may be in no wise troubled by attack from her foes. O God, who by sin art offended and by penance pacified, mercifully regard the prayers of Thy people making supplication unto Thee,and turn away the scourges of Thine anger which we deserve for our sins. Almighty and Everlasting God, in whose Hand are the power and the government of every realm: look down upon and help the Christian people that the heathen nations who trust in the fierceness of their own might may be crushed by the power of thine Arm. Through our Lord Jesus Christ, Thy Son, who liveth and reigneth with Thee in the unity of the Holy Ghost, God, world without end. R. Amen.
My "challenge coin" for my 25th anniversary of ordination in 2016.
Want one? I do exchanges with military and LEOs, etc. and you can make a donation.
Coat of Arms by D Burkart
I travel a good deal. As I get older, it takes more of a toll. My main airline - sigh - is Delta. Were I to get some Gift Cards for Delta, I could more easily upgrade for longer flights. I'm just sayin'. I'd be much obliged. HERE
New miscellaneous releases and events
Yes, Fr. Z is taking ads…
A great hymnal…
Because it matters what children read…
I carry one of these super-strong rosaries in my spare mag pouch! The Swiss Guards have them too!
Because you don’t know when you are going to need to move fast or get along without the supermarket…
PLEASE RESPOND. Pretty pleeeease?Loading ...
WDTPRS POLLLoading ...
Fr. Z’s stuff is everywhere
Help support Fr. Z’s Gospel of Life work at no cost to you. Do you need a Real Estate Agent? Calling these people is the FIRST thing you should do!
GREAT causes to support
Help Monks in Wyoming (coffee – UPDATED LINK) and Norcia (beer) and the wonderful "Soap Sisters" of Summit, NJ!
Please follow me on Twitter!
If you travel internationally, this is a super useful gizmo for your mobile internet data. I use one. If you get one through my link, I get data rewards.
A book by an old friend…
Daily Archives: 30 September 2011
I have two heavy intentions. I ask for your support for these intentions with prayer.
In the past I have put this request to you and I now renew it.
Minnesota Catholic Conference and Archd. STP/MPLS says “Catholics For Marriage Equality MN” is NOT affiliated with Church
I direct now your attention to the website of the Archdiocese of Saint Paul and Minneapolis and their Office for Marriage and Family. The Archdiocese made this apparent on the front page of their website.
As you may recall, His Excellency … Continue reading
Some of you long time readers here and of my columns in The Wanderer might recall that over the years from time to time I have mentioned a wonderful couple, an active duty Marine Corps officer, M, and his wife, … Continue reading
If there have to be reality TV shows or treasure hunt movies, I propose finding the tomb of St. Jerome (+420) in the Basilica of St. Mary Major in Rome.
For a couple years I have posted something about Jerome’s burial … Continue reading
Thanks to all of you who have been ordering Mystic Monk Coffee and Tea from the Carmelites in Wyoming. You are helping them build their new monastery and put groceries on the table. You are also helping me put groceries … Continue reading
BENEDICT XVI’S PRAYER INTENTIONS FOR OCTOBER
VATICAN CITY, 30 SEP 2011 (VIS) – Pope Benedict’s general prayer intention for October is: “That the terminally ill may be supported by their faith in God and the love of their brothers and sisters”.
His … Continue reading
On ZENIT there is an interesting interview with Anthony Esolen, about whom I have written before. For example, Prof. Esolen has translated the whole of Dante’s Divine Comedy. When it comes to translation, this guy’s got game.
The Mass in … Continue reading