Search Fr. Z’s Blog
SHOPPING ONLINE? Please, always come here first!Enter Amazon through my link, the image below (they took away our search box!), and I will get a small percentage of what you spend. (Pssst - Can't see it? Turn off your "ad-blocker" for this site!)
Here's a generic "catholic" search start point for Amazon:
And you do need a Kindle! - HERE
“This blog is like a fusion of the Baroque ‘salon’ with its well-tuned harpsichord around which polite society gathered for entertainment and edification and, on the other hand, a Wild West “saloon” with its out-of-tune piano and swinging doors, where everyone has a gun and something to say. Nevertheless, we try to point our discussions back to what it is to be Catholic in this increasingly difficult age, to love God, and how to get to heaven.” – Fr. Z
YOUR RECENT COMMENTS
- Antonin: Hard not to draw analogies with SSPX ..AL sprang from a council of Bishops and reflected the consensus of the Bishops. It stands as written …amb iguity and all. The problem is that...
- Michael Haz: Bp Schneider will be in Milawuakee Feb 17-18 at St. Stanislaus Oratory. Per the St. Stanislaus Facebook page, Bp Schneider will lead a Spiritual Retreat Feb 17, and High Mass Feb 18.
- Hidden One: If next week we discovered that 67% of American Catholics supported firing and excommunic ating (not necessaril y in that order) dissenting theologian s, it would be amazing just how...
- Prayerful: All the confessors in the diocesan church I usually go to, use words for the Form of Absolution , which matches pp 1873-4 of the 1945 St AndrewR 17;s missal I generally use, that is,...
- richiedel: Hahaha. Yeah, these bishops who avoid scandal commit scandal alright 230;just like the cross was a scandal. “But we preach Christ crucified, a stumbling block to Jews and folly...
- NH Knight: hey aiello01 you mean the Holy Eucharist, right? New Testament Christiani ty is the Holy Eucharist. You know that right? If that is not crystal clear to you yet Scott Hahn ( former...
- Kathleen10: Happy and safe travels, Fr. Z. It is excellent that President Trump is addressing the crowd via any method whatsoever . It would be a likely mess if he attended in person, but I bet he...
- DavidR: The eye of Sauron never closes.
- Elizabeth D: The only time I ever confessed to a priest who used the traditiona l form, he said something LONG in Latin at the end and I did not hear “ego te absolvo 221; or “...
- acardnal: It’s always very cool to fly into Reagan National while coming down the Potomac river even at night!
- PostCatholic: I’ve had a prototype Echo Spot on my home office desk since October, and I like a lot. It’s a great form factor for video calls. As for the Project Veritas stuff about...
- Seppe: Reverendis sime Pater, gratias agimus tibi… ; :)
- jaykay: Sooo good that Pres. Trump will address the March. At the least, it’l l mean that the MSM can’ t do their usual kabuki of ignoring it. And, it’l l greatly hearten those of...
- Kent Wendler: Registerin g in any of the social media makes me think: “Aba ndon all hope (of privacy) ye who enter here.̶ 1; I will not. I also keep my net-connec ted devices with cameras...
- bcstudent: I will be there with other students from Boston College. This will be my first time at the march. When is the TLM?
- Fr. John Zuhlsdorf: hwriggles4 says: Archdioces e for the Military Services Funny you should mention that. I’m meeting someone tonight for supper (if I ever get there).
- hwriggles4: Fr Z: It may take longer to get to DCA or BWI from either MSP or DTW, but I am sure you have your kindle and other paperwork for your parish, and I know you do your prayers daily. You...
- rcg: I remember when you had to *be* somebody to have one of those big, unblinking eyes ringed in fire. Now everybody can have one.
- RJBennett: I live in Germany, and I recently asked the pastor of my local parish f he would consider saying a Traditiona l Latin Mass. His response was, “Do you want us to go BACKWAR...
- Mike: Delta is up to its antics… My sincere empathy. I’ve long since become accustomed to regarding the airline oligopoly as the “inv isible hand of the free marketR 21; smacking us...
- frjim4321: I’ve heard made-up words of absolution . I think it’s a disservice . I’m always careful to pronounce the words correctly. It could be argued that some of the illicit...
- TonyO: I have had this exact experience happen, and I too wondered what is the best thing to do. Obviously if there is a pause in what Fr. is saying as advice, you have that opportunit y to speak...
- Andrew: Kathleen10 Yes, indeed. In those days, when a speech was given in public on the occasion of such a celebratio n, they still used Latin: which, I presume, was understood , if not by all,...
- daughteroflight: For curious people who want to find their territoria l parish, some (not all) dioceses in the USA actually have a parish search function on their website which also displays the...
- Kathleen10: The distance between planet earth and the sun seems shorter than the distance between the men in Rome of that time and the specimens we have now.
CLICK and say your daily offering!
- Big Business Is WATCHING!
- My View For Awhile: March For Life 2018 Edition
- “The Triumph of Marcantonio Colonna” described
- ASK FATHER: Would anything prevent a priest from always using the traditional formula of absolution?
- 2 Feb – MADISON – Candlemas – Pontifical Mass at the Throne
- Card. Müller on authority of Popes, possibility of others correcting contradictory papal teachings
- ASK FATHER: If I remember a sin after confessing, should I interrupt the priest and tell him?
- Slithery misdirection from the National Sodomitical Reporter: Bishops who avoid scandal commit scandal
- An Armenian bishop “ordains” a deaconette
- Two seriously ugly signs of the times involving papal honors and the silencing of bells
- BOOK RECEIVED about Martin Luther (not King but by “King”)
- ASK FATHER: How do I find out which territorial parish I live in?
- Who cares what libs think? Boldly recover and use great traditional items and vesture of yore.
- ASK FATHER: If I confess to watching porn, must I say it was homosexual porn?
- ACTION ITEM! Petition against removal of historic Cross where Fr. Marquette died
- ASK FATHER: We want our children to have reverent Masses. Can we go to the SSPX chapel?
- VIDEO Bp. Athanasius Schneider interview about “Amoris laetitia” Controversy
- ASK FATHER: Should I tell a noisy penitent that we can hear everything said in the confessional?
- Observing the Feast of the Ass – 14 January
- A false #missilethreat is NOTHING compared to this REAL DEATH THREAT
- 14 Jan – Happy Feast of the Ass!
- Fr. Murray on EWTN with outstanding commentary on recent developments
- Wherein Fr. Z comments on a @RorateCaeli post about priests, permissions and exorcism prayers. Then @fatherz rants.
- Wherein @MassimoFaggioli tosses another nastygram at the “rigorist” straw man
- ASK FATHER: URGENT EMERGENCY PREDICAMENT! Mass in Presence of a Prelate but we don’t have a Pax Brede!
- How bad is the situation of vocations to the priesthood tragic Germany?
- Esolen on virtue and chastity in “Wonder Woman” (not the one you immediately thought of)
- DISGUSTING LBGT story reveals something about homosexualist agenda in the Church. Wherein Fr. Z rants.
- Irish “Mass Path”, for secret worship, mapped and photographed (and some BOOKS)
- ASK FATHER: SSPX or Diocesan TLM – It is an “undue burden” to have to wait 3.5 hours?
Let us pray…
Grant unto thy Church, we beseech Thee, O merciful God, that She, being gathered together by the Holy Ghost, may be in no wise troubled by attack from her foes. O God, who by sin art offended and by penance pacified, mercifully regard the prayers of Thy people making supplication unto Thee,and turn away the scourges of Thine anger which we deserve for our sins. Almighty and Everlasting God, in whose Hand are the power and the government of every realm: look down upon and help the Christian people that the heathen nations who trust in the fierceness of their own might may be crushed by the power of thine Arm. Through our Lord Jesus Christ, Thy Son, who liveth and reigneth with Thee in the unity of the Holy Ghost, God, world without end. R. Amen.
New miscellaneous releases and events
Yes, Fr. Z is taking ads…
A great hymnal…
Because it matters what children read…
I carry one of these super-strong rosaries in my spare mag pouch! The Swiss Guards have them too!
Because you don’t know when you are going to need to move fast or get along without the supermarket…
PLEASE RESPOND. Pretty pleeeease?Loading ...
WDTPRS POLLLoading ...
Fr. Z’s stuff is everywhere
Help support Fr. Z’s Gospel of Life work at no cost to you. Do you need a Real Estate Agent? Calling these people is the FIRST thing you should do!
GREAT causes to support
Help Monks in Wyoming (coffee – UPDATED LINK) and Norcia (beer) and the wonderful "Soap Sisters" of Summit, NJ!
Please follow me on Twitter!
If you travel internationally, this is a super useful gizmo for your mobile internet data. I use one. If you get one through my link, I get data rewards.
A book by an old friend…
Monthly Archives: September 2011
Let me give you a couple hooks.
When we talk about “the Eucharist” we must keep in mind always that we are talking not only about the Blessed Sacrament, but also the celebration of the Blessed Sacrament.
Also, the Church is all … Continue reading
The Holy Father’s sermon at Freiburg im Breisgau:
Dear Brothers and Sisters,
It is moving for me to be here once again to celebrate this Eucharist, this Thanksgiving, with so many people from different … Continue reading
I am always dismayed when I see that a new bishop dumbs-down his coat-of-arms, or stemma as it is called in Italian, with a modern language motto. Of course I and some jocular priest friends suggested some less-often-considered mottos here.
Any … Continue reading
Over at Coo-ees In The Cloister:
Look at this photo. What does it say to you? What questions come to mind as you look at the way these people are dressed, at the signs they are holding?
Is there any dissonance here? … Continue reading
From The Catholic League:
SINEAD O’CONNOR—”KILL THE POPE”
Irish singer Sinead O’Connor is warning Pope Benedict XVI not to come to Ireland, and if he does, she wants him shot. She warned on Twitter there will be a “f***in bloodbath” if the … Continue reading
Here are some recent posts of interest.
First, thank you to all the readers who have sent donations and items from my wishlist. I have an open Mass intention on Saturday and will say Mass for the intentions of you … Continue reading
Over at the UK’s best Catholic weekly, The Catholic Herald, there is some amusing but serious faux advice to secular journalists about how to report on the Pope. Check it out!
Covering the Pope: a guide for journalists
Milo Yiannopoulos sheds some … Continue reading
From a reader:
I was wondering if it was possible for a natural miscarriage to be a sin. The doctors couldn’t tell me why it happened, but statistically miscarriages are more likely when the mother is obese, as I am/was.
And while … Continue reading
The Holy Father’s address at the Konzerthaus in Freiburg im Breisgau to Catholics active in the Church and Society.
Here is a highlight:
“The Church must constantly renew the effort to detach herself from the ‘worldliness’ of the world.”
“The Christian faith is … Continue reading
Can you share some of your good news with the readers?
And also give us some point from the Sunday sermon you heard.
Just as a new TV series has a pilot I have often wondered at the amazing parallels between the last two seasons of The West Wing, which ended in 2006, and the 2008 presidential election. It is almost as if … Continue reading
From a Canadian Catholic newspaper The Prairie Messenger comes this great story for your Brick By Brick file.
My emphases and comments.
Latin mass celebrated in Winnipeg
By Brenda Suderman
WINNIPEG — The pews of Winnipeg’s St. Ann’s Roman Catholic Church were filled to … Continue reading
Four people, count ’em, four, have sent me a link to a video with Polish titles and voice over from the Vatican TV feed of the Pope’s visit in Germany. What you see is the Pope moving along a line … Continue reading
US Catholic ‘s Bryan Cones became a little hysterical about Bp. Olmsted’s decision to apply the Church’s laws concerning Communion under both kinds in the Diocese of Phoenix.
As I understand it, the 1975 edition of the Missale Romanum gave 14 … Continue reading