Search Fr. Z’s Blog
SHOPPING ONLINE? Please, always come here first!
Enter Amazon through my link. Use the search bar below. Fr Z will get a small percentage of what you spend.
Here's Fr. Z's "catholic" search for Amazon: US HERE - UK HERE And you do need a Kindle! - HERE
“This blog is like a fusion of the Baroque ‘salon’ with its well-tuned harpsichord around which polite society gathered for entertainment and edification and, on the other hand, a Wild West “saloon” with its out-of-tune piano and swinging doors, where everyone has a gun and something to say. Nevertheless, we try to point our discussions back to what it is to be Catholic in this increasingly difficult age, to love God, and how to get to heaven.” – Fr. Z
Coat of Arms by D Burkart
YOUR RECENT COMMENTS
- iamlucky13: For all their enthusiasm over Vatican II, the article is surprising ly short on details about the frustratio n I assume they must have shared that so little of Sacrosanct um Concil...
- iamlucky13: The most coherent explanatio n I can come up with is Mr. Faggioli is a flat-earth er.
- abasham: Others have pointed out the definition of “ori entalism 8221; that I think ol’ Beans is going for here, but I’ll add that a significan t part of this “ori ental...
- Semper Gumby: Thanks Fr. Z for the podcast. A masterpiec e of a speech. A tactical masterpiec e at Gettysburg was performed by Col. Joshua Chamberlai n and the 20th Maine at Little Round Top. Great...
- Fr. Thomas Kocik: I’ve often said that to denigrate ad orientem worship in the Western Church is not only to suggest that the Latins had been “doi ng it wrong̶ 1; all those centur...
- Fr. John: Great idea Father, some of us do not have “Arms” and I would love to research this more. Any suggestion s for resources? Zenit reported several years ago that the Vatican was going to...
- Robert_Caritas: Interestin gly, I heard that Golias, the French NCR, is staffed in large part by former priests and seminarian s. No one else I think would be interested in the ideologize d brand...
- Greg Hlatky: I suppose the OF Mass can be reverent and dignified. I’ve never been to one like that. My experience has been more “The Father Tom Show, with special guest Jesus Christ,...
- BrionyB: God bless Fr Marcus, and all the faithful young priests out there.
- JesusFreak84: So all of those sites are ticking off the right people. Got it.
- cwillia1: I think faggoli 217;s point is a little clearer if you replace ad-orienta lism with ad-oriente m-ism. His post is a cheap play on words but I don’ t see any insult to Eastern...
- Joe in Canada: I’m not a theologian . I belong to the Latin church and have worked in one of the Eastern Catholic churches, and have an advanced degree in Byzantine studies, and this makes no...
- Mario Bird: I can’ t see the name “Cor ky” without thinking of Waiting for Guffman. Perhaps, as a sign of walking together, a “Rem ains of the Day” lunchbox would set...
- LeeGilbert: When we first came out here to Portland in 2008 we discovered a Latin Mass parish, St. Birgitta’s , from which came many vocations to the priesthood and religious life. Based on this...
- crjs1: Orientalis m, according to Edward Said, is how Western scholarshi p and popular culture views and presents non-wester n society as inferior to the west, so legitimisi ng western interve...
- vetusta ecclesia: They are died-in-th e-wool Protestant s. Plenty of “ecclesial bodies” they can join!
- Unwilling: Agree with Dan re John xxiii. Can anyone point to the main cause or origin of the theologica l craziness and pastoral self-destr uction that (as far as I can tell) emerged and explo...
- SebastianHvD: I think he means that building your altar “ad orientem 8221; only makes sense in the western world, whereas the churches east of Jerusalem should actually build them to the...
- Benedict Joseph: “The y came home aflame …” You can say that again, and here we are today. Talk about the attempt to turn a swine̵ 7;s ear into a silk purse̷ 0;will no one rid...
- chantgirl: I wonder if these men are using the term clericalis m in the same vein that Francis and his cronies are. If so, are they blaming the sex abuse crisis on clericalis m in order to usher in...
- Gab: @BrionyB “My personal observatio ns are that (1) the most reverent OF Masses tend to be those said by priests who also say the EF;” That has been my experience also. One of the...
- frjimt: in the 35th anniv of my class: mount st mary’ ;s, emmitsburg , we count very few who’ ve left, 2 bishops (Dallas & Oklahoma city) & a great number of us shepher...
- Unwilling: Agree with Fr Charles that the allusion intended is to Said’ ;s Orientalis m. https://en .wikipedia .org/wiki/ Orientalis m_(book) Fundamenta l to Said’ ;s doctrine (which...
- JustaSinner: Silly me, I thought ‘arms’ were for Tactical Shotguns in appropriat e priestly colorsR 30; [That too.]
- Amerikaner: NCR always gives me good laugh̷ 0; like The Onion.
CLICK and say your daily offerings!
- Beans v. the East – @MassimoFaggioli cheapshots Orientals
- The effect of the Extraordinary Form on vocations to the priesthood
- Dinosaur Media attack on Catholics who uphold Faith and Morals
- Truly pathetic musings at the Fishwrap about priesthood and those halcyon days of Vatican II
- 19 Nov 1863: The Gettysburg Address
- Christmas, Priests, Arms, and You
- Reliable Catholic and Pro-Life Causes
- “”Transphobia is a word created by fascists, and used by cowards, to manipulate morons”.
- ASK FATHER: My priest doesn’t carry the “emergency phone”
- Sweetheart Grips and Fortune’s Wheel
- ASK FATHER: Absolution from a heretical priest and then going to Communion
- Your Sunday Sermon Notes
- To Prelates: “Don’t Pee on My Leg and Tell Me It’s Raining.”
- Pre-Post Thanksgiving, Pre-Post Christmas Shopping
- ASK FATHER: Could the Church make “communal services” the norm for the Sacrament of Penance?
- UPDATED BRICK BY BRICK in Florida! New Sunday TLM established.
- Latin-less Priests and Homeschoolers – UPDATED
- More Jesuit antics in that ‘caput malorum omnium’ the Church in Germany
- ASK FATHER: Could Latin be suppressed? Wherein Fr. Z rants.
- Wherein Fr. Z rants
- A solid “state of the question” VIDEO about The Present Crisis
- In how many ways is this creepy?
- HEADS WILL ROLL! A new “You won’t believe your eyes ugly” altar
- Why homosexualists hate Papa Ratzinger so much.
- My View For Awhile: Delayed Edition & Fr. Z’s Kitchen
- Solipsistic, self-aggrandizing @FatherRosica dares to vet Catholic news sources
- ASK FATHER: “I am doubting that the current Catholic Church is the Church it has always claimed to be”
- Strange Signs, the End Times and YOU
- A reader’s first impressions on attending the Extraordinary Form
- Horrifying Big Business Abortion Ad
Let us pray…
Grant unto thy Church, we beseech Thee, O merciful God, that She, being gathered together by the Holy Ghost, may be in no wise troubled by attack from her foes. O God, who by sin art offended and by penance pacified, mercifully regard the prayers of Thy people making supplication unto Thee,and turn away the scourges of Thine anger which we deserve for our sins. Almighty and Everlasting God, in whose Hand are the power and the government of every realm: look down upon and help the Christian people that the heathen nations who trust in the fierceness of their own might may be crushed by the power of thine Arm. Through our Lord Jesus Christ, Thy Son, who liveth and reigneth with Thee in the unity of the Holy Ghost, God, world without end. R. Amen.
This blog has to earn its keep!
New miscellaneous releases and events
Yes, Fr. Z is taking ads…
A great hymnal…
Because it matters what children read…
I carry one of these super-strong rosaries in my spare mag pouch! The Swiss Guards have them too!
My "challenge coin" for my 25th anniversary of ordination in 2016.
Want one? I do exchanges with military and LEOs, etc. and you can make a donation.
Because you don’t know when you are going to need to move fast or get along without the supermarket…
PLEASE RESPOND. Pretty pleeeease?Loading ...
WDTPRS POLLLoading ...
Fr. Z’s stuff is everywhere
Help support Fr. Z’s Gospel of Life work at no cost to you. Do you need a Real Estate Agent? Calling these people is the FIRST thing you should do!
GREAT causes to support
Help Monks in Wyoming (coffee – UPDATED LINK) and Norcia (beer) and the wonderful "Soap Sisters" of Summit, NJ!
Please follow me on Twitter!
If you travel internationally, this is a super useful gizmo for your mobile internet data. I use one. If you get one through my link, I get data rewards.
Daily Archives: 11 November 2011
From The Catholic League:
KANSAS CITY CATHOLIC GROUPS SENT KC STAR AD
November 11, 2011 by admin
Filed under Latest News Releases
Catholic League president Bill Donohue speaks to the latest developments regarding its battle with the Kansas City Star:
Yesterday, I was joined by … Continue reading
Today is the feast of St. Martin of Tours, otherwise called Martinmass. I suspect few of you observed the old forty day fast period which would end today. Also, today marks the octave since All Souls Day. Don’t forget: Pray … Continue reading
UPDATE 2034 GMT:
Clarification in the comments below. Useful!
I turned on the TV for a few minutes and people didn’t seem to know what day it is.
In the USA today is Veterans Day. It used to be called Armistice Day … Continue reading
I just the number on my Google Friends widget on the side bar …
Liberals and secularists rail against bishops who are too restrictive or who are perceived to be too controlling. If a bishop actually seeks to govern, they accuse him of being authoritarian, mean-spirited, backward. On the other hand, they think that … Continue reading
From a reader:
Is there an official teaching of the Roman Catholic Church on national socialism, hitlerism and white supremism?
Several people near our community think that ultra-conservative, ultra-radical-“rigthwing” neo-nazism (with a hint of sincretism and perennialism) is the ultimate christian political … Continue reading
From a reader:
Is it right for a pastor to refuse a family’s request for a certain priest to say the funeral mass of a loved one?
There is no way to answer your question, given the lack of additional information … Continue reading
Here are some posts which have scrolled along.
QUAERITUR: Loss of papal honors for priests who are “removed from the active ministry”
Why we need more “ad orientem” worship: “we cannot serve this world with a kind of banal officiousness”
Fortune Cookie? … Continue reading