Search Fr. Z’s Blog
SHOPPING ONLINE? Please, always come here first!
Enter Amazon through my link. Use the search bar below. Fr Z will get a small percentage of what you spend.
Here's Fr. Z's "catholic" search for Amazon: US HERE - UK HERE And you do need a Kindle! - HERE
“This blog is like a fusion of the Baroque ‘salon’ with its well-tuned harpsichord around which polite society gathered for entertainment and edification and, on the other hand, a Wild West “saloon” with its out-of-tune piano and swinging doors, where everyone has a gun and something to say. Nevertheless, we try to point our discussions back to what it is to be Catholic in this increasingly difficult age, to love God, and how to get to heaven.” – Fr. Z
Coat of Arms by D Burkart
Send Snail Mail to Fr. Z
YOUR RECENT COMMENTS
- hwriggles4: Westward. Your presence will be greatly appreciate d at the Walk for Life West Coast if that’ ;s where you are headed.
- grumpyoldCatholic: Does George Soros attend? The bulletin makes me want to cry
- AlanLins: I have a great deal of sympathy for the Archbishop in this situation. I believe that the text which follows is the oath all bishops take. This indeed is a truly difficult situation. OATH...
- youngcatholicgirl: My mother and I traveled from Nashville to Rome this past fall, departing on Thursday morning (Central Time) and arriving Friday mid-mornin g (Rome time). I did wonder briefly...
- youngcatholicgirl: I was enrolled before my First Holy Communion and was given a cloth scapular with paper pictures sewn on and encased in plastic. I don’ t remember receiving much cateche...
- Hidden One: LifeSite News contacted Archbishop Hebda, who gave a truly pastoral reply. This could be the beginning of a new era for that parish.
- The Masked Chicken: I would like to put in a plug for the Rose Scapular Company: https://ww w.rosescap ular.net They specialize in scapulars. Their brown scapulars are durable and well-co...
- FrAnt: Safe travels. You got a selfie with your plane.
- Joe in Canada: Apart from the scandal of the bulletin is the irony that he starts by denouncing those who “rea d a book” ; and are then experts in the theory of the book. Then apparen...
- philothea.distracted: My son was confirmed this past fall. We did exactly as Fr. Ferguson suggests above. My son asked a gentleman we know pretty well from church. This man was delighted to be...
- Gab: Very prescient of you, Fr Z. The video is no longer available.
- HezzerK: Fro responded to a comment above saying, 221;What people who are not from there don’t get is that this parish was EXACTLY what was being prepared via seminary formation. One prof in my...
- john_6_fan: Veronika 8217;s Workshop on Facebook makes custom embroidere d scapulars at a reasonable cost. My wife and daughters all have scapulars with their patron saint on them. www.fac...
- Gaetano: I’m a native New Yorker and ours was the only non-Jewish family on our block in an Orthodox neighborho od. In New York, even if you’re Catholic you’re Jewish, and I would be embarrasse d...
- Fr. Reader: IVF… a lot of waiting and prayer…. We got the news that we were pregnant… and the news came in good FridayR 30; we wrote the name of the surrogate… and we knew you would be...
- Kerry: The parish and its parishione rs need prayers most urgently!
- Mightnotbeachristiantou: LORD have mercy! I got to the 3:10 mark and could not finish. Why not use the real ASL for Lord have Mercy, Christ have Mercy? As a person who have some reaction to gluten....
- Mightnotbeachristiantou: Since everyone sins, I am surprised that public pence is not done more often. Especially when the sin is public. In fact even Vigano. If you knew and said nothing you are...
- Liz: We pray for Archbishop Vigano in our daily prayers, often by name (along with Cardinals Sarah, Burke, Pell, and Brandmuell er). I think of him and pray for him frequently at adoration and/li...
- Mightnotbeachristiantou: There were no profanitie s in the bulletin. None of those yiddish words are considered that. Children hear and say those words. Basically, it was saying stop feeling sorry...
- majuscule: Sawyer— It looked like a gym because it is s a gym! The bulletin mentions “ gym” Masses as well as Mass in the church. I am not sure why this is. Also, check out the contributi ons for...
- jaykay: Michael: yes, I have on one of those. I can thoroughly recommend them – they are very strong and hard-weari ng. I’ve had mine for about 5 years now and while I don’ t wear...
- Dismas: Space Corps notes: The ISS orbits the Earth every 90 minutes, thus making 16 revolution s per day. As there is no plausible reference time, so the ISS follows the UTC (think GMT) time.
- MrsMacD: Matthew 18:11-13 Douay-Rhei ms 1899 American Edition (DRA) 11 For the Son of man is come to save that which was lost. 12 What think you? If a man have an hundred sheep, and one of them...
- JuliB: The bulletin is a mixed bag. Perhaps priests should not try to be comedians! At least they do ‘Fee d My Starving Children 8217;.
CLICK and say your daily offerings!
- Scandalous parish in @ArchdioceseSPM – public celebration of homosexuality, IVR and surrogacy
- My View For Awhile: Westward
- ASK FATHER: Finding good sponsors for confirmation
- ASK FATHER: Where can I get good Brown Scapulars?
- ASK FATHER: Friday penance on flight across International Date Line
- Public penance and public reparation
- Card. Mahony to speak at the Three Days of Darkness
- UPDATE: “the finest rosaries I’ve ever seen” with a new site
- SOS! New Chant Collection: Prière pour temps de détresse … Prayer in time of distress, suffering, urgency… SOS Chant
- ASK FATHER: St. Gertrude’s Prayer and releasing 1000 souls from Purgatory
- YOUR URGENT PRAYER REQUESTS
- When tweets become problematic
- 4th Letter from Archbishop Viganò
- 14 January – Happy Feast of the Ass!
- Your Sunday Sermon Notes
- ASK FATHER: Standing on altar to change sanctuary lamp.
- ASK FATHER: Feasts of new saints in the Traditional Latin Mass
- Good points in Lawler’s recent book: The Smoke of Satan…
- Two cordial warnings to readers
- ASK FATHER: Excessive pious gestures during Mass
- WDTPRS – Holy Family (1962MR): Families not of blood
- ASK FATHER: Can we use the Breviarium Romanum published by the SSPX?
- FOLLOW UP on Gluten and Celiac post
- ZMIRAK: Hawaii Sen. @maziehirono Is Right. We Must Intern the Knights of Columbus in Camps
- ASK FATHER: Gluten-free madness the work of the Father of Lies?
- Of desecration of liturgy and identity. Wherein Fr. Z rants.
- NEW BOOK from William R. Forstchen. “Sauron’s Eye” is about to kill everything on Earth.
- Fun about a box of stuff, a papal tomb and ancient reading glasses (“cheaters”)
- BOOK RECEIVED
- ASK FATHER: “I’m seriously considering adopting some form of sedevacantism”
Let us pray…
Grant unto thy Church, we beseech Thee, O merciful God, that She, being gathered together by the Holy Ghost, may be in no wise troubled by attack from her foes. O God, who by sin art offended and by penance pacified, mercifully regard the prayers of Thy people making supplication unto Thee,and turn away the scourges of Thine anger which we deserve for our sins. Almighty and Everlasting God, in whose Hand are the power and the government of every realm: look down upon and help the Christian people that the heathen nations who trust in the fierceness of their own might may be crushed by the power of thine Arm. Through our Lord Jesus Christ, Thy Son, who liveth and reigneth with Thee in the unity of the Holy Ghost, God, world without end. R. Amen.
This blog has to earn its keep!
New miscellaneous releases and events
Yes, Fr. Z is taking ads…
A great hymnal…
Because it matters what children read…
I carry one of these super-strong rosaries in my spare mag pouch! The Swiss Guards have them too!
My "challenge coin" for my 25th anniversary of ordination in 2016.
Want one? I do exchanges with military and LEOs, etc. and you can make a donation.
Because you don’t know when you are going to need to move fast or get along without the supermarket…
PLEASE RESPOND. Pretty pleeeease?Loading ...
WDTPRS POLLLoading ...
Fr. Z’s stuff is everywhere
Help support Fr. Z’s Gospel of Life work at no cost to you. Do you need a Real Estate Agent? Calling these people is the FIRST thing you should do!
GREAT causes to support
Help Monks in Wyoming (coffee – UPDATED LINK) and Norcia (beer) and the wonderful "Soap Sisters" of Summit, NJ!
Please follow me on Twitter!
If you travel internationally, this is a super useful gizmo for your mobile internet data. I use one. If you get one through my link, I get data rewards.
Monthly Archives: December 2011
The new Ordinariate for Anglicans will be official on 1 January 2011. Members will be received and shepherds will be appointed. May I ask your prayers for everyone involved in this new initiative of unity? Remember to say a prayer … Continue reading
You know the story of Oedipus. Here is a terracotta bell-krater from Paestum in S Italy. It is attributed to Python in the last quarter of the 4th c. BC. Closer. Closer. In S Italy the tragic Oedipus was sometimes … Continue reading
A reader alerted me to this amusing bit at the blog Acts of Apostasy. Apparently a parishonert at Divine Tambourine parish was fed up with the liturgical abuses inflicted by the priest and, having been rebuffed a few times, found … Continue reading
From a reader: Dear Father: I want to purchase a daily Missal for the first time in my 53 years. I want to buy the “best” version. However, I do not know what that is. I searched your site first as … Continue reading
Is kneeling the new standing? From a deacon: We just finished a refurbishing of the inside of our church shortly before Christmas which included bringing out of the basement the old altar rail and re-installing it . For midnite mass … Continue reading
It is of critical importance that we rebuild, revive the use of the Sacrament of Penance. One way to start would be to hear confessions for a few minutes before Masses. From a reader: I’ve noticed over the last few … Continue reading
From a reader: I am a new convert to the Faith within the last nine months, and I am still in the process of joining the Church formally. As such I’m still learning a good deal about the Church, her … Continue reading
We read in the Enchiridion Indulgentiarum 26 that, under the usual conditions, people can gain a plenary indulgence by participating in a liturgical praying of the Te Deum for the end of the year. Is there one in your diocese … Continue reading
QUAERITUR: Why does the pope say a couple living together is “not excluded from the love of the Church or from the love of Christ”?
From a reader: Why does the pope say a couple living together ‘married’ without an annulment of a previous marriage is “not excluded from the love of the Church or from the love of Christ”? Christ said they were committing … Continue reading
Over at the National catholic Fishwrap there is an interesting story about SNAP resisting a deposition. Whatever happened to the transparency SNAP always demands from everyone else? Hasn’t SNAP perpetually demanded that every diocese hand over every scrap of paper … Continue reading
Biretta tip to Patrick Madrid, who also flies a lot. Delta (with which I am … never mind…) has a new app for the iPhone that tracks your checked luggage. I have used it, as a matter of fact, recently. … Continue reading
Here is a lovely statue of Mary, portrayed as a Queen, with her scepter of a stem of roses. She was made in about 1350. This statue is related to one in silver given by Jeanne d’Evreux to the Abbey … Continue reading