Search Fr. Z’s Blog
SHOPPING ONLINE? Please, always come here first!Enter Amazon through my link, the image below (they took away our search box!), and I will get a small percentage of what you spend. (Pssst - Can't see it? Turn off your "ad-blocker" for this site!)
Here's a generic "catholic" search start point for Amazon:
And you do need a Kindle! - HERE
“This blog is like a fusion of the Baroque ‘salon’ with its well-tuned harpsichord around which polite society gathered for entertainment and edification and, on the other hand, a Wild West “saloon” with its out-of-tune piano and swinging doors, where everyone has a gun and something to say. Nevertheless, we try to point our discussions back to what it is to be Catholic in this increasingly difficult age, to love God, and how to get to heaven.” – Fr. Z
YOUR RECENT COMMENTS
- James in Perth: Question: Canon 15 of the Council of Chalcedon (A.D. 451) states as follows: “No woman under forty years of age is to be ordained a deacon, and then only after close scruti...
- James in Perth: I’ve never had a priest say anything other than “I absolve you from your sins in the name of the Father, and of the Son, and of the Holy Spirit. 221; Except maybe...
- Fr. Kelly: RE: the Cappa Magna Quite a bit has been written about it in recent years, since it has begun to be seen in use on several occasions by notable prelates such as Karol Wojtyla, Cardi...
- Ellen: I have an Echo Dot. I actually like it. It sets alarms and timers, gives me the weather, plays some games with me (Jeopardy) and I have Prayer Buddy on it so I say the rosary and chaplet of...
- majuscule: PostCathol ic– I’m always willing to give “the other side” ; a read so I went in search of Twitter 217;s “cor rection 221; of the “rep orting&...
- Semper Gumby: Happy travels Fr. Z. A Rosary for all those at the March tomorrow. jaykay: Eirinn go Brach! acardnal: “Rea gan National 8221; really does have a nice ring to it. Kathleen10 :...
- Fr. Kelly: padredana, I just checked the 1961 collectio rituum and it only has the Latin for the whole rite — no English at all. With my own translatio n of the rubrics, it reads thus: 1....
- Semper Gumby: God bless Fr. Murray. “The charge of legalist is usually thrown out by someone who doesn̵ 7;t like the Law… The ChurchR 17;s law on adultery is based on the Ten...
- William: “Wai t, there̵ 7;s more!̶ 1; I just had a mental image of Billy Mays (the TV infomercia l guy) going to confession .
- William: We are willingly letting Google, Apple, and Amazon watch us every moment of our lives. And some fundamenta lists still think it’s the Catholic Church that has your name in a secret...
- Tina in Ashburn: The last few years, a Tridentine Mass has been offered after the March. This year it is at 4PM. If you drive by car, BEWARE of the horrible traffic as you will be like a salmon...
- Elizium23: I’m very sorry to say it, but the one thing that threw me off during a Confession was when the priest proceeded to pronounce the absolution (yes, it was in Latin; I don’ t...
- Elizium23: Reverend Fathers, it is a good idea to treat your smartphone s as hostile listening devices and leave them behind when entering the confession al. Another good idea for privacy is the...
- marianne: Once upon a time, after walking out of a confession al, I remembered I forgot a mortal sin so back into line I went… ; My 2nd confession began, “Ble ss me, Father, for I have...
- TonyO: A wrong behavior, however, engaging in a homosexual act, for instance, is not always morally bad if it is done with a good attitude. I guess that because Veritatis Splendor was written in...
- marianne: There is a Solemn High Mass at St Mary’ ;s Mother of God in DC at 4:00. There is also a low Mass in the a.m. Their website has the details.
- Antonin: Hard not to draw analogies with SSPX ..AL sprang from a council of Bishops and reflected the consensus of the Bishops. It stands as written …amb iguity and all. The problem is that...
- Michael Haz: Bp Schneider will be in Milawuakee Feb 17-18 at St. Stanislaus Oratory. Per the St. Stanislaus Facebook page, Bp Schneider will lead a Spiritual Retreat Feb 17, and High Mass Feb 18.
- Hidden One: If next week we discovered that 67% of American Catholics supported firing and excommunic ating (not necessaril y in that order) dissenting theologian s, it would be amazing just how...
- Prayerful: All the confessors in the diocesan church I usually go to, use words for the Form of Absolution , which matches pp 1873-4 of the 1945 St AndrewR 17;s missal I generally use, that is,...
- richiedel: Hahaha. Yeah, these bishops who avoid scandal commit scandal alright 230;just like the cross was a scandal. “But we preach Christ crucified, a stumbling block to Jews and folly...
- NH Knight: hey aiello01 you mean the Holy Eucharist, right? New Testament Christiani ty is the Holy Eucharist. You know that right? If that is not crystal clear to you yet Scott Hahn ( former...
- Kathleen10: Happy and safe travels, Fr. Z. It is excellent that President Trump is addressing the crowd via any method whatsoever . It would be a likely mess if he attended in person, but I bet he...
- DavidR: The eye of Sauron never closes.
- Elizabeth D: The only time I ever confessed to a priest who used the traditiona l form, he said something LONG in Latin at the end and I did not hear “ego te absolvo 221; or “...
CLICK and say your daily offering!
- The Pope marries a couple on the papal airplane. Hmmm.
- Big Business Is WATCHING!
- My View For Awhile: March For Life 2018 Edition
- “The Triumph of Marcantonio Colonna” described
- ASK FATHER: Would anything prevent a priest from always using the traditional formula of absolution?
- 2 Feb – MADISON – Candlemas – Pontifical Mass at the Throne
- Card. Müller on authority of Popes, possibility of others correcting contradictory papal teachings
- ASK FATHER: If I remember a sin after confessing, should I interrupt the priest and tell him?
- Slithery misdirection from the National Sodomitical Reporter: Bishops who avoid scandal commit scandal
- An Armenian bishop “ordains” a deaconette
- Two seriously ugly signs of the times involving papal honors and the silencing of bells
- BOOK RECEIVED about Martin Luther (not King but by “King”)
- ASK FATHER: How do I find out which territorial parish I live in?
- Who cares what libs think? Boldly recover and use great traditional items and vesture of yore.
- ASK FATHER: If I confess to watching porn, must I say it was homosexual porn?
- ACTION ITEM! Petition against removal of historic Cross where Fr. Marquette died
- ASK FATHER: We want our children to have reverent Masses. Can we go to the SSPX chapel?
- VIDEO Bp. Athanasius Schneider interview about “Amoris laetitia” Controversy
- ASK FATHER: Should I tell a noisy penitent that we can hear everything said in the confessional?
- Observing the Feast of the Ass – 14 January
- A false #missilethreat is NOTHING compared to this REAL DEATH THREAT
- 14 Jan – Happy Feast of the Ass!
- Fr. Murray on EWTN with outstanding commentary on recent developments
- Wherein Fr. Z comments on a @RorateCaeli post about priests, permissions and exorcism prayers. Then @fatherz rants.
- Wherein @MassimoFaggioli tosses another nastygram at the “rigorist” straw man
- ASK FATHER: URGENT EMERGENCY PREDICAMENT! Mass in Presence of a Prelate but we don’t have a Pax Brede!
- How bad is the situation of vocations to the priesthood tragic Germany?
- Esolen on virtue and chastity in “Wonder Woman” (not the one you immediately thought of)
- DISGUSTING LBGT story reveals something about homosexualist agenda in the Church. Wherein Fr. Z rants.
- Irish “Mass Path”, for secret worship, mapped and photographed (and some BOOKS)
Let us pray…
Grant unto thy Church, we beseech Thee, O merciful God, that She, being gathered together by the Holy Ghost, may be in no wise troubled by attack from her foes. O God, who by sin art offended and by penance pacified, mercifully regard the prayers of Thy people making supplication unto Thee,and turn away the scourges of Thine anger which we deserve for our sins. Almighty and Everlasting God, in whose Hand are the power and the government of every realm: look down upon and help the Christian people that the heathen nations who trust in the fierceness of their own might may be crushed by the power of thine Arm. Through our Lord Jesus Christ, Thy Son, who liveth and reigneth with Thee in the unity of the Holy Ghost, God, world without end. R. Amen.
New miscellaneous releases and events
Yes, Fr. Z is taking ads…
A great hymnal…
Because it matters what children read…
I carry one of these super-strong rosaries in my spare mag pouch! The Swiss Guards have them too!
Because you don’t know when you are going to need to move fast or get along without the supermarket…
PLEASE RESPOND. Pretty pleeeease?Loading ...
WDTPRS POLLLoading ...
Fr. Z’s stuff is everywhere
Help support Fr. Z’s Gospel of Life work at no cost to you. Do you need a Real Estate Agent? Calling these people is the FIRST thing you should do!
GREAT causes to support
Help Monks in Wyoming (coffee – UPDATED LINK) and Norcia (beer) and the wonderful "Soap Sisters" of Summit, NJ!
Please follow me on Twitter!
If you travel internationally, this is a super useful gizmo for your mobile internet data. I use one. If you get one through my link, I get data rewards.
A book by an old friend…
Monthly Archives: January 2012
My heavens. The current Nuncius to the USA, Archbp. Viganò (pronounced Vi-ga-NOH), has gone public with corruption with the Vatican City State (overpaying contractors, standing contracts, without bidding, etc.).
[In my original title, I suggested that Archbp. Viganò himself went to the … Continue reading
Struggling with going to confession? Take heart from a reader:
I’ve recently begun reading your blog with regularity and was moved by
your frequent and urgent calls to the sacrament of confession. I’ve
started trying to make a regular monthly confession, and … Continue reading
As I fortify myself to watch the State of the Union Address tonight, I am minded of one of the best lines of invective ever uttered.
Back in the 70’s Mary McCarthy and Lillian Hellman had a war, during which the … Continue reading
With a tip of the biretta to Catholic Fire, this quote is from His Excellency Most Reverend Robert Vasa, Bishop of Santa Rosa in California.
“Any government leader, particularly those who claim to be Christian, who claims to be pro-choice, … Continue reading
Remember Catholic Healthcare West?
Catholic Healthcare West now Dignity Health; Dominican Hospital to remain Catholic, hospital president says
By JONDI GUMZ – Santa Cruz Sentinel
SANTA CRUZ – Dominican Hospital officials announced Monday that they remain wedded to the Catholic mission, despite an … Continue reading
I note with interest at the National Catholic Register (the Catholic one) that the bishops of New Jersey have issued a statement about same-sex “marriage”.
New Jersey Bishops Release New Statement on Marriage
Same-sex ‘marriage’ ‘is not marriage and should not be … Continue reading
Prof. Robert George, on his blog Mirror of Justice, comments about Pres. Obama’s blatant attack on the the 1st Amendment, religious liberty and the Catholic Church. My emphases and comments:
The Obama administration’s abortifacient and contraception mandate is appalling, but I … Continue reading
Space Weather News for Jan. 23, 2012
INCOMING CME: Big sunspot 1402 erupted on Jan. 23rd, producing a strong M9-class solar flare and a fast-moving coronal mass ejection (CME). Analysts at the Goddard Space Weather Lab say the CME … Continue reading
It had to happen.
Fishwrap is blaming Pres. Obama’s attack on religious freedom on the US Bishops, and their unsophisticated notion of conscience.
Bishops’ conscience model makes light of practical reason
Jan. 23, 2012
By David DeCosse
What if the clashes over conscience between the American Catholic … Continue reading
On a completely different note, remember that USAir flight taking off from LaGuardia in Queens which hits birds, lost both engines and had to land in the Hudson River?
There is a digital reconstruction of the flight from the data in the “black … Continue reading
Today is marked in particular by the March For Life in Washington, D.C.
The front page of the National Catholic Register is very focused on the Church’s prolife message.
At least not yet. They are probably preparing massive coverage for later in … Continue reading
Have you been following the March for Life in Washington, DC?
Is there a local event in which you are participating?
How d’ya like those Occupiers? Huh? Huh?
I read a story the other day that the rat population is exploding in the Occupiers zone in Washington DC.
Now I read in the New York Post that they trashed churches where the pastor … Continue reading
Do you have some good news? C’mon! I know you do.
Was there some particularly good point or line from the Sunday sermon you heard?