Search Fr. Z’s Blog
SHOPPING ONLINE? Please, always come here first!
Enter Amazon through my link. Use the search bar below. Fr Z will get a small percentage of what you spend.
Here's Fr. Z's "catholic" search for Amazon: US HERE - UK HERE And you do need a Kindle! - HERE
“This blog is like a fusion of the Baroque ‘salon’ with its well-tuned harpsichord around which polite society gathered for entertainment and edification and, on the other hand, a Wild West “saloon” with its out-of-tune piano and swinging doors, where everyone has a gun and something to say. Nevertheless, we try to point our discussions back to what it is to be Catholic in this increasingly difficult age, to love God, and how to get to heaven.” – Fr. Z
YOUR RECENT COMMENTS
- mabvet: The rise of exorcisms was brought up by a caller to the Rush Limbaugh show today! Mark Steyn was spot on in his commentary .
- Malta: My friend Charles Coulombe wrote a book, “His tory of the Popes,R 21; it will be interestin g what Catholic historians think of Francis 100 years from now.
- Ave Maria: Mercy divorced from truth is not mercy at all. An interestin g article at https://ww w.catholic americanth inker.com/ Nice-Inclu sive-Catho lics.html this is about how being̶ 1;nic...
- Chaswjd: Perhaps the Holy Father was thinking of his Chesterton : ” “Every heresy is a truth taught out of proportion .” (Chesterto n in the Daily News, June 26, 1909.)
- Tom Kaye: If anyone would like to have a clearer picture of what Pope Paul VI thought about the Novus Ordo Mass read: “Pau l VI, Epistle Cum te to Archbishop Marcel Lefebvre, 11 October 1976:...
- quo vado: Completed requiremen ts for my seminary applicatio n last week. I hope to get a response early next month. Ora pro nobis!
- Mike: The idols we should fear are the ideologies that would wrest power from God, Who is Truth, and cede it to the autonomous Self or the authoritar ian pagan State. We must pray that the See of...
- defenderofTruth: A good friend of mine opined that it is possible that by “mov ing left” ;, His Holiness is forcing the Church to move right. By making statements such as this, he is...
- yatzer: Husband 217;s knee surgery is finally scheduled.
- Titus: You were at the Getty last week! I was at the Getty last week. I didn’ ;t see you, although it is a big place and I was only there part of one afternoon. I did see some Carmelites from...
- Quanah: I don’ t like the way Pope Francis phrased it, but I identify with what I think he is meaning. When I had my conversion of heart, I was enamored by the faith. A few months later I...
- Charivari Rob: Tumultuous , eventful, and sometimes not good – but still good things happening in the midst of it. – reconnecti ng with old friends when we haven̵ 7;t seen each...
- Kathleen10: He has made himself perfectly clear. That’ ;s the problem. The other problem is we have not wanted to take his words at face value and we should.
- Toan: I’d interpret Pope Francis 217; comments in light of his recent encyclical ’s comments on gnosticism . He is drawing upon a temptation that knowledgea ble, traditiona l Catho...
- JohnE: I am not sure what Pope Francis is doing. Hopefully in the long run it will be helpful, but I think what the Church and the world needs right now is clear, faithful teaching.
- jst5000: I think that we must be careful not to fall into the temptation of making idols of certain abstract mercies. They can be comfortabl e idols, always within easy reach; they require no...
- teomatteo: “ 230; healing closeness of the word and of the sacraments of Jesus.R 21; If the pope said this might he consider this ‘tru th’ and might he then ‘...
- Unwilling: Post-Enlig htenment thought is fundamenta lly skeptical. First of this or that truth, gradually of anything as truth. The vocable “tru th” has at most a relative value. A...
- L.: This kind of self-immol ating “tea ching̶ 1; that comes from Rome and from my own diocese makes me think of science fiction stories in which a Dr. Frankenste in-type character creates...
- arga: I am confused. Fr. Z writes “Geo rge, as the tale goes, was one of those soldier saints who, when he refused to recant his Christian Faith, was put to death perhaps in AD 303 during the...
- JonPatrick: My oldest son recently received word that his rare form of cancer is in remission and he might be able to stop taking the medication s for it. He is also finishing out an internship in...
- JonPatrick: Meanwhile in England it is now considered racist by some to fly the flag of St. George. As the country lurches towards total atheism and cultural Marxism let us ask St. George to...
- jim123: I think that Francis, in his Holy Chrism Mass sermon, is saying something aimed in a different direction that the one that this blog post suggests. Francis gives the Gospel example of...
- arcillajohn: This Past Sunday I Attended my first Missa Cantata. This was my second encounter with the Tridentine Mass, and I had been longing to attend since I discovered the TLM. Luckily, the...
- raven31: Two of my college roommates happen to live in Omaha and St. Louis, and I recently made plans to visit each of them this summer to attend both the FSSP and ICKSP ordination s in those two...
CLICK and say your daily offerings!
- Know the truth and the truth will make you … an idolator?
- Your Good News
- “the worthy deeds and prayers of thy blessed martyr George”
- WDTPRS 3rd Sunday after Easter (TLM): Be distinguished by your profession of Christ!
- Your Sunday Sermon Notes
- Felix Natalis Dies Roma!
- My View For Awhile: Mezzogiorno Edition
- 20 April 2007 – Msgr. Richard Schuler – RIP
- 19 April 2005: Benedict XVI elected
- “And Paul VI wept”. More fascinating notes about the Pope and the liturgical reform.
- Wherein Fr. Z rants about the Church as “field hospital”. Brutal horror, heroic wonder.
- WDTPRS: 4th Sunday of Easter (2002MR) – Mighty humble Shepherd, humble mighty flock
- HUGE Fr. Z kudos to a reader who wrote to bishops about the important Apostolic Pardon
- My View For A While: Mystery City
- Connection of home-schooling and entering seminary
- ASK FATHER: “My 4 year old insists on praying in Latin.” Latin resources for young children?
- A bishop, black vestments and refreshing commonsense!
- ASK FATHER: Priest Mumbles Words of Absolution. Fr. Z says: FATHERS! Stop being JACKASSES and do it right!
- Shamefaced self-promotion with warm thanks to benefactors
- “If it’s just a symbol, then to hell with it!” Wherein a Lutheran tells it as it is and then Fr. Z rants a lot.
- Your Sunday Sermon Notes – Good Shepherd – AUDIO
- ASK FATHER: Communion twice in a day. But is Communion under both species already twice?
- ASK FATHER: Catholic betrothal rite, ceremony
- WDTPRS – 2nd Sunday after Easter (TLM): joy, devastation and rising
- BOOKS RECEIVED: Two VERY different DAUGHTERS!
- I’ve decided. I’m for arming teachers and the Rule of Law
- Fr. Murray and Prof. Royal opine on latest developments
- 28 April – PONTIFICAL TLM at Shrine of the Immaculate Conception
- St. Michael the Extremely Cool Samurai Archangel, defend us in battle!
- “O my God, make them like a wheel; * and as stubble before the wind.” Consolation from a Psalm.
Let us pray…
Grant unto thy Church, we beseech Thee, O merciful God, that She, being gathered together by the Holy Ghost, may be in no wise troubled by attack from her foes. O God, who by sin art offended and by penance pacified, mercifully regard the prayers of Thy people making supplication unto Thee,and turn away the scourges of Thine anger which we deserve for our sins. Almighty and Everlasting God, in whose Hand are the power and the government of every realm: look down upon and help the Christian people that the heathen nations who trust in the fierceness of their own might may be crushed by the power of thine Arm. Through our Lord Jesus Christ, Thy Son, who liveth and reigneth with Thee in the unity of the Holy Ghost, God, world without end. R. Amen.
My "challenge coin" for my 25th anniversary of ordination in 2016.
Want one? I do exchanges with military and LEOs, etc. and you can make a donation.
Coat of Arms by D Burkart
I travel a good deal. As I get older, it takes more of a toll. My main airline - sigh - is Delta. Were I to get some Gift Cards for Delta, I could more easily upgrade for longer flights. I'm just sayin'. I'd be much obliged. HERE
New miscellaneous releases and events
Yes, Fr. Z is taking ads…
A great hymnal…
Because it matters what children read…
I carry one of these super-strong rosaries in my spare mag pouch! The Swiss Guards have them too!
Because you don’t know when you are going to need to move fast or get along without the supermarket…
PLEASE RESPOND. Pretty pleeeease?Loading ...
WDTPRS POLLLoading ...
Fr. Z’s stuff is everywhere
Help support Fr. Z’s Gospel of Life work at no cost to you. Do you need a Real Estate Agent? Calling these people is the FIRST thing you should do!
GREAT causes to support
Help Monks in Wyoming (coffee – UPDATED LINK) and Norcia (beer) and the wonderful "Soap Sisters" of Summit, NJ!
Please follow me on Twitter!
If you travel internationally, this is a super useful gizmo for your mobile internet data. I use one. If you get one through my link, I get data rewards.
A book by an old friend…
Daily Archives: 3 February 2012
Hugh Hewitt interviewed Sen. Santorum about Pres. Obama’s attack on the Church. Santorum scores big.
I like radio guy Hugh Hewitt (whom I listen to on 1280 AM “The Patriot”). On Wednesday I heard him interview Rick Santorum. The issue of Pres. Obama’s attack on the Catholic Church and 1st Amendment came up and Santorum … Continue reading
Pres. Obama says he is a Christian. Okay. He spent a long time listening to Black Liberation Theology. I think everyone should be familiar with Black Liberation Theology. It might help you understand the President.
In any event, Pres. Obama spoke … Continue reading
I just received this by email. I wish I had thought of it, but I’ll be happy to share some of the credit for spreading it around:
Doubtless you have heard the distasteful, yet pithy and memorable slogan of the pro-abortion … Continue reading
Our liturgical calendar is packed with wonderful opportunties for spiritual benefits.
Today there is a special blessing for candles (not just yesterday!) in honor of St. Blaise and then a blessing of throats.
I once stood for hours in the church in … Continue reading
About a zillion people were pushing me to post about the news item that the Susan G. Komen for the Cure foundation stopped giving money to the merchants of death at Planned Parenthood (originally set up to kill of black … Continue reading
His Excellency Most Rev. Edward Slattery, Bishop of Tulsa, has issued his statement about Pres. Obama’s attack on the 1st Amendment, on religious liberty, and on the Catholic Church.
He provides also a video.
He calls the mandate “evil”.
I was delighted that … Continue reading
On First Fridays at Holy Innocents in Manhattan (on 37th btn Broadway & 7th) there is an all night vigil.
It begins tonight with a Solemn Mass at 6 PM (followed tonight by the Blessing of Throats for St. Blaise Day).
Exposition … Continue reading
Holy Church tells priests that they have to “Say The Black and Do The Red”. We are to obey the rubrics of liturgical worship and stick to the texts. Priests cannot – bishops cannot – on their own authority change … Continue reading
May I suggest that American readers out there call their Senators to ask them to support The Respect for Rights of Conscience Act or S.1467 (read the full text of the bill.)
The Respect for Rights of Conscience Act or S.1467 would … Continue reading