BACK TO SCHOOL SHOPPING?
Please, come here first! Enter Amazon through my search box and I will get a small percentage of what you spend. (Pssst - Can't see the search box? Turn off your "ad-blocker" for this site!)
PS: I added Amazon Search Boxes for the UK and for Canada at the bottom of the blog page. Copy and paste titles I mention into those boxes and - BAZINGA! - results appear as if by magic. Kindle? HERE
US Hardcover - HERE
UK Hardcover - HERE
US Paperback - HERE
UK Paperback - not yet
- If my people who are called by my name humble themselves, and pray and seek my face, and turn from their wicked ways, then I will hear from heaven, and will forgive their sin and heal their land.
- 2 Chronicles 7:14 RSV
Search Fr. Z’s Blog
- NoraLee9 said During Sandy, my daughter & I said the prayers...
- jaykay said Dear Lord, such “look at me, I’m diffe...
- IloveJesus said A talk by Fr Ripperger pointed out that in Italy t...
- Patikins said My parish uses the traditional built-into-the-wall...
- AnnTherese said Thankfully, for now, people can still choose, as w...
- capchoirgirl said OK, I’ve probably mentioned this before, but...
- edm said In our parish we have had confessions heard public...
- Gaetano said Just a chasuble? Oftentimes it was street clothes...
- Fr. Kelly said Albinus I am pretty sure that is the fault of auto...
- GypsyMom said So much of this applies in the business world, as...
- f4irBear said “Did Hillary Clinton really say that Trump h...
- Nan said I’ve gone to confession in a traditional box...
- Bosco said Late into the fray is me. I would think that given...
- robtbrown said Interesting that many seem to identify face to fac...
- robtbrown said frjim4321 says, There are so many abuses of this w...
- Ann Malley said @Gracie, Good for you! Children do indeed have a n...
- marie6566 said Thank you for helping me understand. I have also d...
- MrTipsNZ said The very things he says are also true of the peopl...
- cl00bie said Priests should be able to decline face to face if...
- cl00bie said Does the traditional form include the face slap? [...
- boxerpaws63 said “I think Catholics who are actively promotin...
- Tina in Ashburn said For those pining for a politician to promote Catho...
- Precentrix said Honestly, the grille was introduced in the first p...
- JabbaPapa said Actually, a priest cannot insist on face-to-face I...
- boxerpaws63 said my word. Where to start and keep this as brief as...
- semperficatholic said Individuals can also pray against storms and flood...
- albinus1 said et post singular Evangelia subjungat sequentes Ve...
- Dr. Edward Peters said Yes. He could be funny.
- KateD said Having a common thread that runs through a pilgrim...
- anilwang said Carlin is always interesting, though personally I...
Help Monks in Wyoming (coffee) and Norcia (beer)!
Without you, there is no blog.
There is a subscription form at the bottom of this page!
Art by D Burkart
- Aedificantium enim unusquisque gladio erat accinctus.
- Nehemiah 4:18
"Where priest and people together face the same way, what we have is a cosmic orientation and also in interpretation of the Eucharist in terms of resurrection and trinitarian theology. Hence it is also an interpretation in terms of parousia, a theology of hope, in which every Mass is an approach to the return of Christ."
Joseph Ratzinger - The Feast of Faith"In those situations where homosexual unions have been legally recognized or have been given the legal status and rights belonging to marriage, clear and emphatic opposition is a duty. ... If all Catholics are obliged to oppose the legal recognition of homosexual unions, Catholic politicians are obliged to do so in a particular way, in keeping with their responsibility as politicians." CDF 2003
One of the most dangerous errors is that civilization is automatically bound to increase and spread. The lesson of history is the opposite; civilization is a rarity, attained with difficulty and easily lost. The normal state of humanity is barbarism, just as the normal surface of the planet is salt water. Land looms large in our imagination and civilization in history books, only because sea and savagery are to us less interesting. — C. S. Lewis
Ham Radio Stuff
Fr. Z - W9FRZ - OFF
QRV on: 00m 00000
Check Echolink WB0YLE-R - OFF
"One of the few things in life you can be absolutely sure about is that, if Management tells you it doesn't like your Tone, you are getting something right."
"Latin is a precise, essential language. It will be abandoned, not because it is unsuitable for the new requirements of progress, but because the new men will not be suitable for it. When the age of demagogues and charlatans begins, a language like Latin will no longer be useful, and any oaf will be able to give a speech in public and talk in such a way that he will not be kicked off the stage. The secret to this will consist in the fact that, by making use of words that are general, elusive, and sound good, he will be able to speak for an hour without saying anything. With Latin, this is impossible."
- - Giovanni Guareschi
Support them with prayer and fasting.
CLICK and say your Daily Offering!
"We as Catholics have not properly combated (the culture) because we have not been taught our Catholic Faith, especially in the depth needed to address these grave evils of our time. This is a failure of catechesis both of children and young people that has been going on for fifty years. It is being addressed, but it needs much more radical attention... What has also contributed greatly to the situation is an exaltation of the virtue of tolerance which is falsely seen as the virtue which governs all other virtues. In other words, we should tolerate other people in their immoral actions to the extent that we seem also to accept the moral wrong. Tolerance is a virtue, but it is certainly not the principal virtue; the principal virtue is charity... Charity means speaking the truth. I have encountered it (not speaking the truth) many times myself as a priest and bishop. It is something we simply need to address. There is far too much silence — people do not want to talk about it because the topic is not 'politically correct.' But we cannot be silent any longer."
Raymond Card. Burke
Help the Sisters. They have a building project. Get great soap (gifts, etc.) while helping REAL nuns!
Some OBLIGATORY reading…
Leave Voice Mail for Fr. Z
Let us pray…
Grant unto thy Church, we beseech Thee, O merciful God, that She, being gathered together by the Holy Ghost, may be in no wise troubled by attack from her foes. O God, who by sin art offended and by penance pacified, mercifully regard the prayers of Thy people making supplication unto Thee,and turn away the scourges of Thine anger which we deserve for our sins. Almighty and Everlasting God, in whose Hand are the power and the government of every realm: look down upon and help the Christian people that the heathen nations who trust in the fierceness of their own might may be crushed by the power of thine Arm. Through our Lord Jesus Christ, Thy Son, who liveth and reigneth with Thee in the unity of the Holy Ghost, God, world without end. R. Amen.
Check out the Cardinal Newman Society feed!
Yes, Fr. Z is taking ads…... and there will be nearly 1,000,000 page loads this month.
A great hymnal…
Find a Quality Realtor. Support the Gospel of Life!
If you, or someone you know, needs to buy or sell a house, office, or any kind of domestic or commercial property anywhere in the world, call Real Estate For Life on 1-877-LIFE-US1. They connect you with an expert agent with a proven track-record from a local franchised broker or strong independent. When the sale is completed, the agent gives a portion of their fee to Real Estate For Life as a referral fee. Real Estate For Life gives 80% of that fee to one of the pro-life organizations they work with: a house with a value of $150,000 means $1000 goes to the pro-life organization. It doesn't cost you anything.
And for your cybersecurity…
Mystic Monk Coffee also has TEA!
Because it matters what children read…
I carry one of these super-strong rosaries in my spare mag pouch! The Swiss Guards have them too!
Because you don’t know when you are going to need to move fast or get along without the supermarket…
My wish lists
Food For Thought
“The legalization of the termination of pregnancy is none other than the authorization given to an adult, with the approval of an established law, to take the lives of children yet unborn and thus incapable of defending themselves. It is difficult to imagine a more unjust situation, and it is very difficult to speak of obsession in a matter such as this, where we are dealing with a fundamental imperative of every good conscience — the defense of the right to life of an innocent and defenseless human being.”
- St. John Paul II
PLEASE RESPOND. Pretty pleeeease?Loading ...
WDTPRS POLLLoading ...
A morsel for thought…
"If your work is strong enough for someone to hate you, it's strong enough for someone to love you. The middle is what you should fear."
- Sean McCabe @seanwes
- The language of politics
- ACTION ITEM! FLOODS! Fr. Z to BISHOPS and PRIESTS – Pray Against Floods
- Priests can indeed decline to hear confessions face-to-face
- ASK FATHER: Father says Mass without a chasuble, only a stole over the alb
- Via Michaelica: a “Ley Line” Pilgrimage, and You
- 30 November – MADISON – Confirmation in the Traditional Rite
- FOLLOW UP POLL: 26 Sept 2016 – Trump v Clinton
- CHICAGO: 26 September – Essential Debate Day FOOD Edition!
- “If I were a bishop, I would send round formidable, even terrifying, hit squads of young clergy…”
- URGENT POLL – 26 Sept 2016 – Trump v Clinton Debate
- Bp. Olmsted (D. Phoenix) interprets ‘Amoris laetitia’
- Your Good News
- Your Sunday Sermon Notes
- ASK FATHER: Will all be saved?
- We are at a “precarious moment in our history” when churches must speak truth to power
- Happy Feast of Our Lady of Walsingham to members of the Ordinariate
- WDTPRS Collect 19th Sunday after Pentecost- “Why did God make you?”
- “O God, you are so big!” Maronite English liturgical translations: Devastation!
- Padre Pio music on his feast day: Musical Setting of his “Prayer” (VIDEO)
- WDTPRS – 26th Ordinary Sunday: Bowels of Mercy
- SSPX Bp. Fellay talks about relations with the Holy See
- September Ember!
- MEXICO: Another priest kidnapped after two were murdered
- Acton on giving the powerful a pass because they are famous
- The Autumnal Tipping Point
- Trump campaign forms Catholic advisory group
- Jesuit Fr James Martin honored by homosexual advocates condemned by Holy See and USCCB
- FOLLOW UP: Fr. Z asks help from priests: Can you take a Gregorian Mass set, stipend?
- ASK FATHER: Confession line very slow and Father looks out at people waiting
- UPDATE Road Warrior Tips: Cheaper data abroad (KeepGo) and soft landings
For your consideration…
"One of the most dangerous errors is that civilization is automatically bound to increase and spread. The lesson of history is the opposite; civilization is a rarity, attained with difficulty and easily lost. The normal state of humanity is barbarism, just as the normal surface of the planet is salt water. Land looms large in our imagination and civilization in history books, only because sea and savagery are to us less interesting."
- C.S. Lewis
More food for thought:
“I expect to die in bed, my successor will die in prison and his successor will die a martyr in the public square. His successor will pick up the shards of a ruined society and slowly help rebuild civilization, as the church has done so often in human history.”
Francis Card. George
Fr. Z’s stuff is everywhere
Please follow me on Twitter!
- "It will never be known what acts of cowardice have been committed for fear of not looking sufficiently progressive."
Charles Pierre Péguy Notre Patrie, 1905"If I ought to write the truth, I am of the mind that I ought to flee all meetings of bishops, because I have never seen any happy or satisfactory outcome to any council, nor one that has deterred evils more than it has occasioned their acceptance and growth."
St. Gregory Nazianzus ep. 131 - AD 382“We will conquer your Rome, break your crosses, and enslave your women. If we do not reach that time, then our children and grandchildren will reach it, and they will sell your sons as slaves at the slave market.”
Reading and gift ideas!
Daily Archives: 10 February 2012
The USCCB have issued their statement. “The only complete solution to this religious liberty problem is for HHS to rescind the mandate of these objectionable services.” My emphases and comments: Bishops Renew Call To Legislative Action On Religious Liberty February 10, … Continue reading
I put it to you. I offer a two-tier answer option.
I noticed this today.
Supper. I had no interest in cooking, given the dreadful day we have had. However, I forced myself to look around and get creative with ingredients on hand. I started by cutting the zest from an orange and chopping it. … Continue reading
Paul VI: “danger of this power passing into the hands of those public authorities who care little for the precepts of the moral law”
The pontificate of Paul VI produced many a disaster, in my opinion, but when it came to a crucial turning point, in the face of diabolical opposition Paul VI issued Humane vitae. I suspect many of you have never actually … Continue reading
Now that I have posted Bp. Slattery’s statement following on President Obama’s “morally obtuse”, “insult to the intelligence”, and “cheap accounting trick”, everyone is going to ask me to post their own bishop’s statements. I can’t do that, though it … Continue reading
His Excellency Most Rev. Edward Slattery, Bishop of Tulsa, has issued a response to Pres. Obama’s latest “accommodation”, which I liken to his taking the “Plan B” pill. Text below, but here is his VIDEO! [wp_youtube]JLWnl1P4slg[/wp_youtube] Bishop Slattery responds to … Continue reading
I ask your kindness. Fr. Pedro Escribano of the Society of Jesus Christ the Priest, in the Diocese of Madison, is undergoing a delicate brain tumor operation today (Friday). Would you please remember Father in your prayers?
Glendon, George react to Obama’s “morally obtuse”, “insult to the intelligence”, and “cheap accounting trick”
CatholicVote has been doing us all a great service these days in tracking Pres. Obama’s attack on the Catholic Church and on the 1st Amendment rights of all Americans in his pursuit of power and his agenda. The following letter, … Continue reading
From The Catholic League: OBAMA’S PLOY ADDS INSULT TO INJURY February 10, 2012 Catholic League president Bill Donohue comments on President Obama’s revised healthcare plan as it affects Catholic institutions: President Obama’s latest ploy just adds insult to injury. If … Continue reading
From the site of the USCCB: Bishops Studying Initial White House Movement On Religious Liberty February 10, 2012 New opportunity to dialogue with executive branch Too soon to tell whether and how much improvement on core concerns Commitment to religious … Continue reading
Here are links to posts which are scrolling along. Pres. Obama’s “Plan B” compromise, Sr. Keehan, and the Magisterium of Nuns WDTPRS 6th Sunday of Ordinary Time: “kissing the porch” Pres. Obama’s “Plan B”. 1953 – Pius XII to American … Continue reading
Even before Pres. Obama made the announcement that he is taking his “Plan B” pill, an exponent of the Magisterium of Nuns, Sr. Carol Keehan of the Catholic Health Association (which – against the US bishops – gave cover to … Continue reading