Search Fr. Z’s Blog
SHOPPING ONLINE? Please, always come here first!
Enter Amazon through my link. Use the search bar below. Fr Z will get a small percentage of what you spend.
Here's Fr. Z's "catholic" search for Amazon: US HERE - UK HERE And you do need a Kindle! - HERE
“This blog is like a fusion of the Baroque ‘salon’ with its well-tuned harpsichord around which polite society gathered for entertainment and edification and, on the other hand, a Wild West “saloon” with its out-of-tune piano and swinging doors, where everyone has a gun and something to say. Nevertheless, we try to point our discussions back to what it is to be Catholic in this increasingly difficult age, to love God, and how to get to heaven.” – Fr. Z
Coat of Arms by D Burkart
YOUR RECENT COMMENTS
- exNOAAman: “ 230;still as sharp as a scalpel 230;” ; Excellent.
- Charles E Flynn: The date of one of the letters has been overlooked by many journalist s. From https://ww w.catholic culture.or g/commenta ry/otn.cfm ?id=1306 , by Phil Lawler: As we do so, howev...
- Dismas: I really try to no be a complete cynic, but the cynical side of me is batting a thousand these days.
- chantgirl: The rainbow flag has become, not just a symbol of people with a certain sexual preference , but a symbol of active homosexual ity, which is one of the sins crying to Heaven for vengean...
- Clayton: I wish we heard more often from Benedict. For myself, in these times, I feel a certain comfort just knowing he is still around.
- MrsMacD: mbarry I found this book, ‘The Mass Explained, ’ extremely good for teaching my children and I learned a thing or three http://www .ccwatersh ed.org/kid s/
- richiedel: Aside from the biblical illiteracy I commented about prior, it should be noted how much Fr. Martin undermines Vatican II and its teachings on the common priesthood of the baptized and...
- chantgirl: Just when I thought it was safe to come out from under my tin foil hat, lol. Benedict is sending out some mixed signals. I’d like to read the rest of the letters for context. These...
- maternalView: Even though there are canonical penalties for disobeying a Cardinal does that automatica lly mean the disobedien ce was a sin? [The fact that Cupich is a Cardinal is irrelevant . He...
- MrsMacD: @Elizabeth D It’s true but I think it’s pretty cool that God has made it so that the guilty person relys on the victimR 17;s prayers and sacrifices for his own salvati...
- Benedict Joseph: I’ve searched high and low but am unable to find an explanatio n as to who and why these letters were made available to the media. These were private communicat ions. Either the...
- Dismas: @Fr. Z: Don’ t forget the carbon footprint!
- Marion Ancilla Mariae II: Re: re-educati on of conservati ve a/o traditiona l priests: It’s too bad someone with contacts with The Agency doesn̵ 7;t reach out to set up a “tra ining...
- ChrisP: Economic ignoramii unfit to oversee a 50c raffle. But the bit about “you th education& #8221; and the silencio over funds obviously raises justified suspicions right now.
- Joy65: Does he not realize that this is “ASK ED OF US” NOT forced on us. No one in the Church is being forced to fast or sacrifice for sins they did not commit. We are asked to undert...
- scotus: Might it have been a mistake of the priest to have announced the burning beforehand ? Might it have been better for him just to have burned it without telling anybody? Was anything useful...
- Marion Ancilla Mariae II: “Wha t I find chilling is the point about ‘psy chological evaluation .’ “In the last few months I know of quite a few priests who have been forced...
- scotus: Who or what decides what is part of the ordinary magisteriu m? Does any Pope have the authority to arbitrarly decide that something new is to be considered part of the ordinary magisteriu m?
- Anita Moore, O.P.(lay): Marion Ancilla Mariae II says: However, I wish Father had not disobeyed his bishop; I wish he had not described his brother priests as “bad priests.” I wish Father Kalchik...
- Ms. M-S: It’s not really so surprising , is it? The battle has been joined, and Martin is at best (really, for his sake, at best) a useful idiot of the opposing side, yelling “Lay down...
- Benedict Joseph: Why is this fraud not following his real vocation? There is an urgent need for Uber drivers somewhere.
- Joy65: WHEN will he be silenced by the Church. He is doing more harm than good but especially as a Catholic Priest he should be definitely NOT be putting out his own opinions as the ChurchR 17;s...
- iPadre: When a priest denies the power/ necessity/ the impact of prayer and penance, something is seriously wrong. In August of 2017 Our Lady of Fatima said: “pra y much and make sacrifi...
- Fr. John Zuhlsdorf: RunsOnDeca f: did he disobey? I honestly don’ t know the whole of what he was told or who told him. I found one post by a guy in Chicago who strikes me as well-infor med....
- Anneliese: I think he’s party afraid that penance and prayer will work. Penance and prayers don’ t only offer reparation , it also leads to conversion . Why would he want anyone to have...
CLICK and say your daily offerings!
- ASK FATHER: If in letters Benedict XVI imparts still the Apostolic Blessing…
- A story of spectacular complexity, involving shady people, huge money, interlocking directorates, vast loans, and the Papal Foundation.
- One Mad Mom spanks James Martin, LGBTSJ – UPDATED
- Bishop R. Walker Nickless of Sioux City on #ViganoTestimony
- Archd. Chicago parish burns a “rainbow flag”
- And now a word from our sponsor…
- BOOKS RECEIVED: Vatican I: The Council and the Making of the Ultramontane Church
- The upcoming Synod’s “working document”
- ASK FATHER: Should we pray for or against the success of the Synod?
- What passes for important today.
- YOU are other people. It’s always someone else… until it’s YOU.
- ASK FATHER: Are we are in the End Times?
- Fr. Murray’s Open Letter to ex-Card. McCarrick. Wherein Fr. Z rants.
- Cri de Coeur about lost innocence and The Present Crisis
- Card. Müller: “the real danger to today’s humanity is the greenhouse gases of sin and the global warming of unbelief”
- Thoughts on fatherhood and how priestly identity is undercut by short terms as pastors
- More Jesuit idiocy – BUT WAIT! There’s more!
- Henry Sire: “Archbishop Viganò is now living in fear of his life, quite literally.”
- ASK FATHER: Can a Dominican Tertiary priest use the Dominican Rite?
- Lay Rage in Chicago, Mary Eberstadt takes names, and Fr. Z rants
- There are more than one “lavender mafia”
- Your Sunday Sermon Notes
- WDTPRS – 17th Sunday after Pentecost: diabolical contagion
- We are all, I think, striving to understand how we got to the point where we are.
- ASK FATHER: What should we do for Ember Days?
- UPDATED – ACTION ITEM! 10 year old’s fundraiser for a Pregnancy Care Center
- At end of youth meeting, no Apostolic Benediction from Francis.
- Francis to clergy, seminarians, religion in Palermo: “Clericalism… one of the most difficult perversions”
- UPDATE: 15 Sept: Seven Sorrows of Mary, Mater Dolorosa, Queen of Martyrs – Queen of Clergy
- @BishopZubik announces traditional practices for @DioPitt
Let us pray…
Grant unto thy Church, we beseech Thee, O merciful God, that She, being gathered together by the Holy Ghost, may be in no wise troubled by attack from her foes. O God, who by sin art offended and by penance pacified, mercifully regard the prayers of Thy people making supplication unto Thee,and turn away the scourges of Thine anger which we deserve for our sins. Almighty and Everlasting God, in whose Hand are the power and the government of every realm: look down upon and help the Christian people that the heathen nations who trust in the fierceness of their own might may be crushed by the power of thine Arm. Through our Lord Jesus Christ, Thy Son, who liveth and reigneth with Thee in the unity of the Holy Ghost, God, world without end. R. Amen.
This blog has to earn its keep!
New miscellaneous releases and events
Yes, Fr. Z is taking ads…
A great hymnal…
Because it matters what children read…
I carry one of these super-strong rosaries in my spare mag pouch! The Swiss Guards have them too!
My "challenge coin" for my 25th anniversary of ordination in 2016.
Want one? I do exchanges with military and LEOs, etc. and you can make a donation.
Because you don’t know when you are going to need to move fast or get along without the supermarket…
PLEASE RESPOND. Pretty pleeeease?Loading ...
WDTPRS POLLLoading ...
Fr. Z’s stuff is everywhere
Help support Fr. Z’s Gospel of Life work at no cost to you. Do you need a Real Estate Agent? Calling these people is the FIRST thing you should do!
GREAT causes to support
Help Monks in Wyoming (coffee – UPDATED LINK) and Norcia (beer) and the wonderful "Soap Sisters" of Summit, NJ!
Please follow me on Twitter!
If you travel internationally, this is a super useful gizmo for your mobile internet data. I use one. If you get one through my link, I get data rewards.
Daily Archives: 10 February 2012
The USCCB have issued their statement.
“The only complete solution to this religious liberty problem is for HHS to rescind the mandate of these objectionable services.”
My emphases and comments:
Bishops Renew Call To Legislative Action On Religious Liberty
February 10, 2012
Regulatory changes limited and … Continue reading
I put it to you.
I offer a two-tier answer option.
I noticed this today.
Supper. I had no interest in cooking, given the dreadful day we have had. However, I forced myself to look around and get creative with ingredients on hand.
I started by cutting the zest from an orange and chopping … Continue reading
Paul VI: “danger of this power passing into the hands of those public authorities who care little for the precepts of the moral law”
The pontificate of Paul VI produced many a disaster, in my opinion, but when it came to a crucial turning point, in the face of diabolical opposition Paul VI issued Humane vitae.
I suspect many of you have never actually read … Continue reading
Now that I have posted Bp. Slattery’s statement following on President Obama’s “morally obtuse”, “insult to the intelligence”, and “cheap accounting trick”, everyone is going to ask me to post their own bishop’s statements. I can’t do that, though … Continue reading
His Excellency Most Rev. Edward Slattery, Bishop of Tulsa, has issued a response to Pres. Obama’s latest “accommodation”, which I liken to his taking the “Plan B” pill.
Text below, but here is his VIDEO!
Bishop Slattery responds to President Obama’s HHS … Continue reading
I ask your kindness.
Fr. Pedro Escribano of the Society of Jesus Christ the Priest, in the Diocese of Madison, is undergoing a delicate brain tumor operation today (Friday).
Would you please remember Father in your prayers?
Glendon, George react to Obama’s “morally obtuse”, “insult to the intelligence”, and “cheap accounting trick”
CatholicVote has been doing us all a great service these days in tracking Pres. Obama’s attack on the Catholic Church and on the 1st Amendment rights of all Americans in his pursuit of power and his agenda.
The following letter, which … Continue reading
From The Catholic League:
OBAMA’S PLOY ADDS INSULT TO INJURY
February 10, 2012
Catholic League president Bill Donohue comments on President Obama’s revised healthcare plan as it affects Catholic institutions:
President Obama’s latest ploy just adds insult to injury. If the insurance plan of … Continue reading
From the site of the USCCB:
Bishops Studying Initial White House Movement On Religious Liberty
February 10, 2012
New opportunity to dialogue with executive branch
Too soon to tell whether and how much improvement on core concerns
Commitment to religious liberty for all means legislation … Continue reading
Here are links to posts which are scrolling along.
Pres. Obama’s “Plan B” compromise, Sr. Keehan, and the Magisterium of Nuns
WDTPRS 6th Sunday of Ordinary Time: “kissing the porch”
Pres. Obama’s “Plan B”.
1953 – Pius XII to American seminarians: be holy, be … Continue reading
Even before Pres. Obama made the announcement that he is taking his “Plan B” pill, an exponent of the Magisterium of Nuns, Sr. Carol Keehan of the Catholic Health Association (which – against the US bishops – gave cover to … Continue reading