Search Fr. Z’s Blog
SHOPPING ONLINE? Please, always come here first!
Enter Amazon through my link. Use the search bar below. Fr Z will get a small percentage of what you spend.
Here's Fr. Z's "catholic" search for Amazon: US HERE - UK HERE And you do need a Kindle! - HERE
“This blog is like a fusion of the Baroque ‘salon’ with its well-tuned harpsichord around which polite society gathered for entertainment and edification and, on the other hand, a Wild West “saloon” with its out-of-tune piano and swinging doors, where everyone has a gun and something to say. Nevertheless, we try to point our discussions back to what it is to be Catholic in this increasingly difficult age, to love God, and how to get to heaven.” – Fr. Z
Coat of Arms by D Burkart
YOUR RECENT COMMENTS
- Julia_Augusta: Thank you for the recipe and detailed instructio ns and photos. I have saved this post to my Evernote for use in the winter. I love cooking. It brings me so much happiness to cook...
- Dismas: After reviewing the article by Madame Defarge, I noticed that his [sic] unquenchab le, seething anger was not at the “inj usticeR 21; of Husted v. A. Philip Randolph Institute or...
- Spade: This might make a good velcro morale patch.
- ArthurH: It is bad, it will almost surely get worse. As to your last comment about being put up against a wall in the future: Remember Cardinal GeorgeR 17;s warning about what is coming for...
- Legisperitus: Prayers for you, Father, and for all the other “non -juring 221; priests.
- Kathleen10: That looks yummy. Well done! My mom always used salt pork for meatballs, but I have no luck with it. It renders very little fat, and you need a chainsaw to cut it. I end up using olive...
- TonyO: I understand the practicali ties of cremation vs. burial, and now that there is little cultural worry of people thinking cremation reflects a rejection of the afterlife, there is good reason...
- TonyO: The reason men can’t become Consecrate d Virgins is because the essential charism of the Vocation is that of being a Bride of Christ and an Image of the Church (a Virgin Bride) and spirit...
- teomatteo: No. You please share!
- APX: The other option would be to hold off on cremation until after the Requiem Mass and rent a casket. Embalming isn’t usually required. Traditiona l diner are really expensive. One way to keep...
- majuscule: We had a Requiem Mass for my mother’s cremated remains. She had requested it and I was so happy we could do it for her. We put three real beeswax candles on each of two small black-d...
- abasham: My grandmothe r recently passed away in Arizona, and it seems that the cemetary where she was buried only has cremated remains. I’m generally opposed to cremation, but she lived in a...
- JesusFreak84: The funeral home we used for my recently-d eceased grandmothe r actually rents caskets in this case, and I guess the rubrics would treat the casket normally? (Though I’m not...
- FrankWalshingham: That Fishwrap headline is an outrage!
- Joy65: Very nice gesture of that Priest to buy that coffin for the Parish!
- FrankWalshingham: That is what exactly they do for military funerals at Arlington National Cemetery. The urn with the cremains gets put in a dummy flag draped coffin on the horse drawn caisson.
- discipulus: I pray we get someone like-minde d in my part of California , as our bishop passed away last week.
- JARay: Long ago it was the custom to bury the dead in the Churchyard around the Parish Church. Demands of space, car parks etc. have overridden the space around a Church in today̵ 7;s world. My...
- ex seaxe: Ok Father so you are a Latin scholar in the mould of Augustine, who did not like Greek, [I detest it.] but Oxford Dictionari es says :- Kudos comes from Greek and means ‘praise’. Despite...
- Herman Joseph: And it’s amazing that we are actually seriously talking about this! What times. My wife and I have, a few times over the past two years or so, had “the martyrdom talk...
- Kenneth Wolfe: Very impressive , especially considerin g the remote location of the diocese and the lack of a TLM personal parish in the state to assist. Kudos, Lake Charles!
- Semper Gumby: The historian and Spectator columnist Paul Johnson once asked Kerensky why he didn’ ;t have Lenin shot. Kerensky answered, “Bec ause I didn’ ;t t’in k him...
- Herman Joseph: Lay people too should have a plan. You just never know in these times.
- msc: Oh yes, not to forget that the Catholic Church in Russia is under the same restrictio ns that all non-Orthod ox churches are, and the Russian government under Putin has consistent ly acted...
- Fr. John Zuhlsdorf: Greg Hlatky says: the last three things ordered from Amazon Today, btw, is Prime Day. PLEASE order stuff from amazon using my link and search box on the sidebar!
CLICK and say your daily offerings!
- The image of the badge of the Vendée came to mind today
- ACTION ITEM! Spiritual Bouquet for Bp. Morlino
- Fr. Z’s Kitchen: Garofolato!
- ASK FATHER: Cremains in funeral Mass, Traditional Requiem
- Pontifical Mass in Lake Charles. A brief and yet optimistic rant from Fr. Z.
- The last 10 minutes…
- 17 July 1794: “Permission to die, Mother?”
- 17 July 2018 – 100 years after
- Cobblestones, new vestments, and swag for Zed Heads
- More shallow, angry, cliché feminist rubbish from Fishwrap
- The demographics of church participation are shifting.
- ACTION ITEM! Urgent prayer request for a priest
- Your Sunday Sermon Notes
- “St Swithin’s day if thou be fair…”
- What priests can – with credibility – do in marriage preparation
- French stones and soutanes
- US Association of Consecrated Virgins condemns confusing new rules from Holy See
- What could possibly go wrong?
- ¡Hagan lío! in Poland. Young, and raising hell…. correction… razing Hell.
- WDTPRS – 15th Ordinary Sunday: We can stray off the path to the right or to the left.
- 12 July: Sts. Louis Martin and Marie-Azélie Guérin
- Does “Beans” @MassimoFaggioli undermine ‘Humanae vitae’?
- ASK FATHER: Mom baptized my child in the bathtub
- INTERESTING UPDATE – Pope Francis phones Gianni Vattimo, philosopher of “weak thought”
- SSPX ELECTS NEW SUPERIOR GENERAL – UPDATED
- Ex ore infantium perfecisti laudem
- ASK FATHER: Should a priest have a day off?
- ASK FATHER: Traditional Latin Mass in a Protestant church?
- Madame Defarge (@MichaelSWinters) is upset that people don’t find the Terror – applied to real people today – very funny.
- A little bright spot for your day, a discrete packet of energy for your mind.
Let us pray…
Grant unto thy Church, we beseech Thee, O merciful God, that She, being gathered together by the Holy Ghost, may be in no wise troubled by attack from her foes. O God, who by sin art offended and by penance pacified, mercifully regard the prayers of Thy people making supplication unto Thee,and turn away the scourges of Thine anger which we deserve for our sins. Almighty and Everlasting God, in whose Hand are the power and the government of every realm: look down upon and help the Christian people that the heathen nations who trust in the fierceness of their own might may be crushed by the power of thine Arm. Through our Lord Jesus Christ, Thy Son, who liveth and reigneth with Thee in the unity of the Holy Ghost, God, world without end. R. Amen.
My "challenge coin" for my 25th anniversary of ordination in 2016.
Want one? I do exchanges with military and LEOs, etc. and you can make a donation.
New miscellaneous releases and events
Yes, Fr. Z is taking ads…
A great hymnal…
Because it matters what children read…
I carry one of these super-strong rosaries in my spare mag pouch! The Swiss Guards have them too!
Because you don’t know when you are going to need to move fast or get along without the supermarket…
PLEASE RESPOND. Pretty pleeeease?Loading ...
WDTPRS POLLLoading ...
Fr. Z’s stuff is everywhere
Help support Fr. Z’s Gospel of Life work at no cost to you. Do you need a Real Estate Agent? Calling these people is the FIRST thing you should do!
GREAT causes to support
Help Monks in Wyoming (coffee – UPDATED LINK) and Norcia (beer) and the wonderful "Soap Sisters" of Summit, NJ!
Please follow me on Twitter!
If you travel internationally, this is a super useful gizmo for your mobile internet data. I use one. If you get one through my link, I get data rewards.
Daily Archives: 18 February 2012
No frills Vespers from the Breviarium Romanum for the weary brethren.
From a reader:
I went to make confession at a local parish, but saw the priest walking around near the confessional. Since it’s not a priest I wanted to make my confession to, I left to go to another church. On … Continue reading
From a reader:
I thought I heard somewhere that a priest ought to avoid hearing the confession of a close relative, especially his parents. I presumed this was for practical and not canonical reasons, no? Thanks for your consideration and faithfulness.
There … Continue reading
Sometimes you don’t want to look at road-kill, but you look anyway.
So it is too with this video of a simulated “mass” by some “women priests”.
It is at the same time both funny and quite sad.
The way they change the … Continue reading
Planned Parenthood child-rape records destroyed during HHS Secretary Kathleen Sebelius’ time as governor of Kansas
I’m shocked! Is it possible that HHS Sec. Kathleen Sebelius, pro-abortion catholic who may not receive Holy Communion according to can. 915, in some way helped Planned Parenthood officials dodge prosecution for failing to report cases of child rape?
No … Continue reading
You may have heard, but the Pope created a few more Cardinals today, 22 to be exact, though several are over 80 years of age and therefore cannot enter or vote in a conclave.
Each cardinal is assigned a church in … Continue reading