Search Fr. Z’s Blog
When you shop…... through Amazon, please, come here first? BACK TO SCHOOL SHOPPING? Enter Amazon through my search box. I'll then get a small percentage of everything you buy. (Pssst - Can't see the search box? Turn off your "ad-blocker" for this site!)
A search box for Amazon UK is at the bottom of the blog.
- You keep this blog, and me, going. I pray for benefactors.
There is a subscription form at the bottom of this page!
Support them with prayer and fasting.
- KM Edwards said But hold on there … St Francis was a peaceni...
- Fr. John Zuhlsdorf said I hope to!
- Reconverted Idiot said Re: being a “European on the ground” f...
- Reconverted Idiot said Hmm, I take that second part back. I’m sorry...
- Reconverted Idiot said Supertradmum: “Reconverted Idiot, I was refe...
- acardnal said I expect you will be sipping some fine California...
- danube-bosphorus-moskva said Seems we somehow misunderstood. I told that among...
- robtbrown said In 1980 the diocese of Rochester had about 400 dio...
- Uxixu said How funny. I was just reading about Popes Leo XIII...
- Thomas S said [When shall we see his like again? Not anytime so...
- Bea said Wow, Cafea Fruor, watch there be a run on this boo...
- Cafea Fruor said I haven’t had the chance to read through all...
- Carolina Geo said At least when you’re flying Delta, you can h...
- SKAY said danube– My whole point is to say that the fo...
- Fr. John Zuhlsdorf said LarryW2LJ: It was a bread-thing. I just call it...
- Reconverted Idiot said Jim in Seattle: many thanks for that. Interesting...
- Reconverted Idiot said ^first line typo, should have read “…p...
- Reconverted Idiot said LOL. I did wonder for a few minutes, prior to mass...
- LarryW2LJ said Godspeed, Father! I have to agree that’s not...
- Kathleen10 said Be safe and content Fr. Z., and may God be with yo...
- JesusFreak84 said I hope to see a Pope like him in my lifetime (NOT...
- Reconverted Idiot said Woody, Mike: Thank God for John Millbank. His R...
- Andrew said Velim cuncta ejus legere aenigmata, sed, proh dolo...
- Reconverted Idiot said I recall being catechized within an orthodox paris...
- JudicaMe said Safe trip, Father. Just wondering, do you make it...
- robtbrown said Rachel K says: I am very sorry reading this that...
- CradleRevert said Looks like someone landed some first-class tickets...
- wanda said May extra angels go along with you, Fr. Z, especia...
- cwillia1 said The law is clear. The law was clear in the Hobby L...
- Random Friar said Quo vadis?
My wish lists
CLICK and say your Daily Offering!
Let us pray…
Grant unto thy Church, we beseech Thee, O merciful God, that She, being gathered together by the Holy Ghost, may be in no wise troubled by attack from her foes. O God, who by sin art offended and by penance pacified, mercifully regard the prayers of They people making supplication unto Thee,and turn away the scourges of Thine anger which we deserve for our sins. Almighty and Everlasting God, in whose Hand are the power and the government of every realm: look down upon and help the Christian people that the heathen nations who trust in the fierceness of their own might may be crushed by the power of thine Arm. Through our Lord Jesus Christ, Thy Son, who liveth and reigneth with Thee in the unity of the Holy Ghost, God, world without end. R. Amen.
Help Monks in Wyoming, Fr. Z, and get great coffee too!
Food For Thought
“The legalization of the termination of pregnancy is none other than the authorization given to an adult, with the approval of an established law, to take the lives of children yet unborn and thus incapable of defending themselves. It is difficult to imagine a more unjust situation, and it is very difficult to speak of obsession in a matter such as this, where we are dealing with a fundamental imperative of every good conscience — the defense of the right to life of an innocent and defenseless human being.”
- St. John Paul II
How about Rome in October?
PLEASE RESPOND. Pretty pleeeease?Loading ...
WDTPRS POLLLoading ...
Yes, Fr. Z is taking ads…... and there will be nearly 1,000,000 page loads this month.
- Just Too Cool: Leo XIII’s Latin Riddles
- My View For Awhile: Left Coast Edition
- 22 July: St. Mary Magdalene (and homonymous cookies!)
- Many illegal aliens flooding across border have criminal records
- Fed Court rules Obamacare subsidies ILLEGAL in 36 states!
- Pope Francis prays for success of initiative to convert Anglicans
- World War I – 100 years out
- ISIS targeting Christians: “The West must step in now… or we will be wiped out.”
- Ex ore infantium… perfecisti laudem!
- “Forward!” he cried, showing them the crucifix, “Victory is ours.” – St. Lawrence of Brindisi
- When the priest confessor doesn’t use the proper Form of Absolution. Wherein Fr. Z advises.
- “the very essence of our republic and our reason are being overturned in the public order”
- Bp. Matano (D. Rochester) ends decades illicit practice of “lay preaching”
- Divide et impera: KGB influence on Middle East violence
- What Did the Imam Really Say? Revisited
- Fishwrap: less than enthusiastic about new ITC document on “sensus fidei”.
- Ecumenical consequences of C of E decision on women bishops (aka “wyshyps”)
- WDTPRS 16th Ordinary Sunday: The Enemy is seeking you!
- BACK TO SCHOOL SHOPPERS REPORT 1
- REVIEW: Movie “Persecuted”
- Malaysian Airlines 17, Death and You
- VIDEO Aurora: just… wow
- Are you Middle Aged yet?
- “Thanks for your blog. It saved this seminarian from a particularly mortifying purification.”
- Compare and contrast: VIDEO – 1983 Pres. Reagan about Korean Air 007
- “Are you still there? Did I do something wrong? I need to know…”
- Voice of America on Holy Innocents in Manhattan: a vibrant Catholic community
- UPDATE: 2013 Scalfari Interview now BACK on the Vatican website. Why?
- Great article in FIRST THINGS: Correcting Catholic Blindness. ACTION ITEM!
- 30 A.D. INTERVIEW OF SCALFARIUS WITH JESUS OF NAZARETH
Because you don’t know when you are going to need to move fast or get along without the supermarket…
I just bought some candy bars for the chancery staff. Sweeten up someone’s day!
Wyoming Catholic College!
More food for thought:
“I expect to die in bed, my successor will die in prison and his successor will die a martyr in the public square. His successor will pick up the shards of a ruined society and slowly help rebuild civilization, as the church has done so often in human history.”
Francis Card. George
Check out the Cardinal Newman Society feed!
I have been giving out these tougher-than-nails, no-nonsense Rosaries:
Please follow me on Twitter!
Fr. Z’s stuff is everywhere
More food for thought…
"All laws which are repugnant to the Constitution are null and void."
- Marbury v. Madison, 5 U.S. 137, 176
I use these great cards when I travel
Even More Food For Thought
"Men by their constitutions are naturally divided into two parties: 1. Those who fear and distrust the people, and wish to draw all powers from them into the hands of the higher classes. 2. Those who identify themselves with the people, have confidence in them, cherish and consider them as the most honest and safe, although not the most wise depositary of the public interests."
- Thomas Jefferson to Henry Lee, 1824. ME 16:73
Daily Archives: 21 February 2012
Where does Card. Dolan get that gift of glib gab? I’m guessing it was from his mother.
During an audience in Rome, Card. Dolan was able to present his mother to the Pope.
According to the NY Post, the Holy Father, … Continue reading
Some posts which are scrolling along.
First, I will remind you that:
Starbucks endorses unnatural “marriage”. Buy Mystic Monk Coffee, not Starbucks.
Now that I have said that, here are some links:
LENTCAzT 00: Shrove Tuesday – the series begins
Plant grown from 30,000 year … Continue reading
Fr. Leo Patalinghug, who does some cooking now and then, has a good video commentary on how Pres. Obama is undermining the 1st Amendment and, well, lying to us.
This is the sort of video that could appeal to young people, … Continue reading
From POPSCI comes this story for your “Just Too Cool” file.
Russian Scientists Grow Pleistocene-Era Plants From Seeds Buried By Squirrels 30,000 Years Ago
On the frozen edge of the Kolyma River in northeastern Siberia, in an ancient pantry harboring seeds and … Continue reading
Brick by brick in Madison, WI, one of the wackiest liberal locales in the US of A.
The great Bishop of Madison, Most Rev. Robert Morlino, about whom I have written quite a few times (his tag), has made a change … Continue reading
WDTPRS kudos go out to His Excellency Most Rev. Frank Dewayne, Bishop of Venice in Florida for a diocese-wide effort, called “The Light Is On” campaign, to get people to go to confession during Lent.
The diocese has bought time on … Continue reading
There is a thought provoking piece at The Catholic Thing by Fr. James Schall, SJ, a professor at Georgetown. He muses about a future in which we will have to withdraw from participation in public life, or at least in … Continue reading
There was a partial eclipse of the Sun today, Spaceweather reports, but you had to be in space to see it. More precisely, you had to be the Solar Dynamics Observatory in geosynchronous orbit 36,000 km above the surface of … Continue reading
A reader sent me this.
It contains comments made by His Eminence Francis Card. George, Archbishop of Chicago.
In 2010, Cardinal Francis George of Chicago outlined the degree to which he believed religious freedoms (in the United States and other Western societies) … Continue reading