May I suggest that American readers out there call their Senators to ask them to support The Respect for Rights of Conscience Act or S.1467 (read the full text of the bill.)
The Respect for Rights of Conscience Act or S.1467 would restore the rights of conscience and the freedom of religion explicitly found in the First Amendment of the Constitution. One would think that this list should include all 100 Senators.
Click HERE to find contact information. It doesn’t take long and it makes a difference. I called both my senators’ offices and the call was answered right away, I ask a few questions and I gave my opinion. I told them they should not only back the bill, but that they should co-sponsor it. The people who worked the phones were polite and helpful. They said they were getting some calls, but I had the impression that there weren’t too many. So, get on the phone!
Tom Peters – who has been doing good work on this topic – has a list of Senators supporting the bill.
Look for your Senators in this list of the Senators who are cosponsors or who have publicly pledged to vote for the The Respect for Rights of Conscience Act:
- 1. Sen. Roy Blunt, R-MO – Cosponsored on 8/2/2011
- 2. Sen. Marco Rubio, R-FL –Cosponsored on 8/2/2011
- 3. Sen. Kelly Ayotte, R-NH – Cosponsored on 8/2/2011
- 4. Sen. John Thune, R-SD – Cosponsored on 9/6/2011
- 5. Sen. Mike Johanns, R-NE – Cosponsored on 9/6/2011
- 6. Sen. Jerry Moran, R-KS – Cosponsored on 9/6/2011
- 7. Sen. Daniel Coats, R-IN – Cosponsored on 9/7/2011
- 8. Sen. Roger Wicker, R-MS – Cosponsored on 9/9/2011
- 9. Sen. James Risch, R-ID – Cosponsored on 9/12/2011
- 10. Sen. Rand Paul, R-KY – Cosponsored on 9/14/2011
- 11. Sen. Pat Roberts, R-KS – Cosponsored on 10/5/2011
- 12. Sen. Richard Burr, R-NC – Cosponsored on 10/5/2011
- 13. Sen. John Barrasso, R-WY – Cosponsored on 10/5/2011
- 14. Sen. Orrin Hatch, R-UT – Cosponsored on 10/5/2011
- 15. Sen. Michael Enzi, R-WY – Cosponsored on 10/5/2011
- 16. Sen. John Hoeven, R-ND – Cosponsored on 10/5/2011
- 17. Sen. John Boozman, R-AR – Cosponsored on 10/5/2011
- 18. Sen. Mike Crapo, R-ID – Cosponsored on 10/5/2011
- 19. Sen. James Inhofe, R-OK – Cosponsored on 10/5/2011
- 20. Sen. John Cornyn, R-TX – Cosponsored on 10/5/2011
- 21. Sen. Tom Coburn, R-OK – Cosponsored on 10/17/2011
- 22. Sen. Ben Nelson, D-NE – Cosponsored on 10/19/2011
- 23. Sen. Pat Toomey, R-PA – Cosponsored on 10/20/2011
- 24. Sen. Rob Portman, R-OH – Cosponsored on 10/31/2011
- 25. Sen. David Vitter, R-LA – Cosponsored on 1/26/2012 *
- 26. Sen. Saxby Chambliss, R-GA – Cosponsored on 1/31/2012
- 27. Sen. Richard Lugar, R-IN – Cosponsored on 2/1/2012
- 28. Sen. Johnny Isakson, R-GA – Cosponsored on 2/1/2012
- 29. Sen. Mitch McConnell, R-KY – Cosponsored on 2/1/2012
According to Peters there is a companion bill in the House of Representatives, authored by Rep. Jeff Fortenberry, R-NE (endorsed by CatholicVote). Fortenberry’s bill, also known as H.R. 1179, now has 119 cosponsors, up from 97 on the day before President Obama reaffirmed the mandate. To see who the House co-sponsors are click HERE.
To find out what your Senators and Representatives are up to and what the Senate and House are doing, go the site of the Library of Congress “THOMAS” by clicking HERE.