Not to be missed…
Search Fr. Z’s Blog
SHOPPING ONLINE? Please, always come here first!
Enter Amazon through my link. Use the search bar below. Fr Z will get a small percentage of what you spend.
Here's Fr. Z's "catholic" search for Amazon: US HERE - UK HERE And you do need a Kindle! - HERE
“This blog is like a fusion of the Baroque ‘salon’ with its well-tuned harpsichord around which polite society gathered for entertainment and edification and, on the other hand, a Wild West “saloon” with its out-of-tune piano and swinging doors, where everyone has a gun and something to say. Nevertheless, we try to point our discussions back to what it is to be Catholic in this increasingly difficult age, to love God, and how to get to heaven.” – Fr. Z
Coat of Arms by D Burkart
Do you want to show some appreciation?
Send Snail Mail to Fr. Z
YOUR RECENT COMMENTS
- Fr. John Zuhlsdorf: And for the guy out there who thought that these didn’ ;t have enough red in them, because – according to him – Easter has to have red and these are too blue...
- JonPatrick: A translatio n of HvonBlumen thal’ ;s Spanish article (Google Translate) : Andrei is a young Belarussia n from Minsk studying in Paris. It appears in the viral video of the prayer...
- Mariana2: Thanks, Father!
- Imrahil: I myself have attended once the anticipate d Sunday Mass, or most of it, in Notre Dame, and there were genuine worshipper s there. It was no more, I guess, of “jus t a tourist...
- Charles E Flynn: This Wikipedia article is about the law under which churches in France built before 1905 were confiscate d by the government : 1905 French law on the Separation of the Churches and...
- Suburbanbanshee: Up until this week, Notre Dame had Mass on weekdays at 8 AM, 9 AM, 12:15 PM, and 6:15 PM (6:30 PM on Sat.). The 8 and 9 AM Masses were in the choir, and the other two were at the...
- jaykay: It really does look great. The “fla mes” from the old, tacky, as you say, rack in my opinion really add to it. Tam antiqua, tam nova. How good that you have craftspers ons who...
- jaykay: Gerard Plourde: yes, I agree, but I’d say that has always been the case. We are social animals and going with the flow, the societal norm, seems ingrained … when “...
- Roy Hobbs: Over the past 20 years or so, I’ve been to Notre Dame three times. In each of those times, I do not recall ever seeing the Holy Sacrifice of the Mass, not even in a side-chape l....
- Chris in Maryland 2: Saint Joan of Arc, fair and brave, pray for us, and for Notre Dame, and it’s faithful, in Paris, and all over the word.
- Gerard Plourde: An important question to ask is whether unbelief has increased or whether contempora ry societal norms masked the actual state of affairs. How many doubters or unbeliever s atten...
- JamesA: The O’Co nnor quote brings to mind another from C. S. Lewis : “Pai n insists upon being attended to. God whispers to us in our pleasures, speaks in our conscience , but shouts...
- jaykay: Anita Moore: good point. The fifth reason for having five First Saturdays of reparation that Sr. Lucia was given, after a vision of Our Lord in May 1930, was because of insults to Her...
- Glennonite: Father: What are your thoughts on which altar the debris landed upon… ;and which altar was spared?
- Fr_Sotelo: “ 230;got his crazy ass arrested.& #8221; I think this is the first time I have ever seen this phrase, in this blog, and I laughed out loud– ;REALLY loud. I even start...
- Deacon Nicholas: The attacks may be escalating soon. An Orthodox monk, abbot of his monastery in Washington state, was pumping gas yesterday when he was sucker-pun ched by a stranger. Our churc...
- HvonBlumenthal: Father, I believe you read Spanish. I hope I haven’t got that wrong. This is a particular ly poignant eyewitness account by a Bielorussi an living in Paris of the spontaneou s...
- Anita Moore, O.P.(lay): It seems to me that lately there is an upswing in open attacks specifical ly on the Mother of God in the form of destructio n of her images and statues — and, perha...
- mibethda: Offering pieces of charred wood sounds like an excellent idea. An even bolder one – auction the ‘new ’ altar to the highest bidder.
- The Astronomer: The primary purpose of Notre Dame cathedral was/is not to serve as a sightseein g stop for hordes of tourists with cameras and cell phones taking selfies. It is for the worsh...
- Imrahil: Well, no, there was not a good point in the sermon, because there was no sermon. However, we were truly blessed to celebrate, by permission of the Holy See, to celebrate the Palm Sunday...
- oldCatholigirl: The Islamic attacks may also help spark the Faith̵ 1;or at least some aspects of it. Active opposition sparked it in Ireland for years.
- Pius Admirabilis: nine man morris is right. Getting informatio n is really easy these days, and it is just as easy to obtain the texts of the exorcism texts. As a theologian , I have to work with...
- JustaSinner: Men, with low-tech equipment, Love of God and their faith over a century built such Cathedrals . What could we DO TODAY, with our technology , equipment and a century? Only things...
- lifelong Catholic: I watched Michael Hichborn speak about the danger of what Notre Dame Cathedral may become in the rebuilding . My questions: Will it be a “mod ernistR 21; cathedral with...
CLICK and say your daily offerings!
- STATIONS OF THE CROSS – Audio from Fr. Z
- Good Friday Reminder: Fasting, Abstaining, and You
- LENTCAzT 2019 45 – Good Friday: The ultimate pulpit
- TMSM: Holy Thursday Mass with the new vestments
- A good article in Crisis about France. Fr. Z adds a short rant.
- LENTCAzT 2019 44 – Holy Thursday: Sin is in the blood
- So a guy with gas cans walks into @StPatsNYC in Midtown Manhattan…
- ARRIVED: Tenebrae Hearse! And a successful bout with Zuhlsdorf’s Law
- PRAYERCAzT: What does the Latin Exorcism really sound like? FOR PRIESTS ONLY – UPDATED
- Fundraising idea for #NotreDame
- VIDEO: Interview with Fr. Jean-Marc Fournier
- WDTPRS – Spy Wednesday, the last Collect of Lent
- VIDEO: Interior of #NotreDame after the fire. WHEW!
- LENTCAzT 2019 43 – Wednesday of Holy Week: In a cataclysm, something must be salvaged.
- VIDEO – The last rite in #NotreDame was… this?
- About #NotreDame and the fire and the altar. Just sayin’…
- Fr. Z rants about #NotreDame fire and the Faith in the Church’s “eldest daughter”
- Inside burning #NotreDame a human chain saved relics, Blessed Sacrament. Fr. Jean-Marc Fournier – OORAH!
- Happy Birthday, Benedict XVI! Ad multos vivas faustissimos annos
- LENTCAzT 2019 42 – Tuesday of Holy Week: It wasn’t a suggestion
- An early ALLELUIA for the vaulting of #NotreDame – It held!
- Fire – roof of Notre Dame of Paris – Will this shock awaken the Faith?
- LENTCAzT 2019 41 – Monday of Holy Week: Cleansing costs
- POLL: @GameOfThrones – Final Season #GoTS8
- Your Palm Sunday Sermon Notes
- LENTCAzT 2019 40 – Palm Sunday: Something borrowed
- ASK FATHER: The priest is a jerk and has hang-ups
- ASK FATHER: My unbaptized wife insists on contraception
- A detail in a detail in a header on this blog and some details about a liturgical detail.
- What went through my during the Gospel this morning?
Let us pray…
Grant unto thy Church, we beseech Thee, O merciful God, that She, being gathered together by the Holy Ghost, may be in no wise troubled by attack from her foes. O God, who by sin art offended and by penance pacified, mercifully regard the prayers of Thy people making supplication unto Thee,and turn away the scourges of Thine anger which we deserve for our sins. Almighty and Everlasting God, in whose Hand are the power and the government of every realm: look down upon and help the Christian people that the heathen nations who trust in the fierceness of their own might may be crushed by the power of thine Arm. Through our Lord Jesus Christ, Thy Son, who liveth and reigneth with Thee in the unity of the Holy Ghost, God, world without end. R. Amen.
This blog has to earn its keep!
PLEASE subscribe if it is useful.
That way I have steady income I can plan on, and you wind up regularly on my list of benefactors for whom I pray and for whom I periodically say Holy Mass.
For a one time donation...
I set up a
CONTINUE TO GIVE
account, which functions rather like PayPal. Some of you use it. Here is a QCode you can use with your smart phones. Try it!
Also, to receive a link to donate via Continue To Give using your smart phone SEND MESSAGE:
4827563 TO: 715-803-4772 (USA)
Some donations also come through CHASE. That works well. I don't think they take any percentage as fees.
Yes, Fr. Z is taking ads…
A great hymnal…
Because it matters what children read…
I carry one of these super-strong rosaries in my spare mag pouch! The Swiss Guards have them too!
My "challenge coin" for my 25th anniversary of ordination in 2016.
Want one? I do exchanges with military and LEOs, etc. and you can make a donation.
Because you don’t know when you are going to need to move fast or get along without the supermarket…
PLEASE RESPOND. Pretty pleeeease?Loading ...
WDTPRS POLLLoading ...
Fr. Z’s stuff is everywhere
Help support Fr. Z’s Gospel of Life work at no cost to you. Do you need a Real Estate Agent? Calling these people is the FIRST thing you should do!
GREAT causes to support
Help Monks in Wyoming (coffee – UPDATED LINK) and Norcia (beer) and the wonderful "Soap Sisters" of Summit, NJ!
Please follow me on Twitter!
If you travel internationally, this is a super useful gizmo for your mobile internet data. I use one. If you get one through my link, I get data rewards.
Monthly Archives: March 2012
I get reams of email from people who, during confession, run into priests who don’t (or won’t) say the proper words of absolution, thus throwing them into doubts about whether or not they were validly absolved. Under another entry I … Continue reading
The artist Daniel Mitsui, in his newsletter, indicates that he has new art, including a representation of the Glorious Mysteries (a nice gift to a priest after Easter) and – this really caught my eye – the Four Last Things! … Continue reading
Every once in a while I get an email asking for the Act of Contrition in Latin. I am not sure why one would want to say her Act of Contrition in Latin. It seems to me that the Act … Continue reading
Many thank to all of you who voted for this blog in the About.com awards. We prevailed in the Best Catholic Blog category. I am also glad that so many other good blogs and sites and publications were highlighted during … Continue reading
I received a note from the Communications office of the Archdiocese of New York about Card. Dolan’s video containing a short message about Holy Week and Easter. It seems to be aimed at young people. Have a look and pass … Continue reading
From CNN: ‘Massive’ credit card data breach involves all major brands From FNC: MasterCard warns of possible security breach, Visa also reportedly affected Fr. Z’s Litany for the Conversion of Internet Thugs (2.0)
Please use the sharing buttons! Thanks! I have had two versions of the Via Crucis, or Stations of the Cross available in audio files, one by St. Alphonsus Liguori and the other by Pope Benedict in 2005. For these click … Continue reading
Sandro Magister has a piece today about what is going with sacred music in Rome, more specifically via the Sistine Chapel Choir and the Pontifical Institute for Sacred Music. In a word: disaster. Here is the first part: Not Sacred … Continue reading
From the Catholic Sentinel: US bishops set March 30 as day of prayer, fasting for religious liberty Catholic News Service WASHINGTON — The U.S. bishops have urged Catholics and “all people of faith” across the nation to observe March 30 … Continue reading
Every once in a while people send in photos of their Z-Swag “in the wild”. Fun! From a reader: Got the CafePress delivery today and I went about to place the goods right away when I got off the train … Continue reading
In the last couple weeks I have had posts about boys playing “Mass”, one had a great video, one had a photo I took of a photo at the funeral of a 60-year priest. Yesterday I posted in a review of … Continue reading
Federal judge rules as unconstitutional Catholic pro-life provisions in Trafficking Victims Prevention Act
From CNA: Pro-life provisions in US bishops’ grant ruled unconstitutional By Kevin J. Jones Washington D.C., Mar 28, 2012 / 04:08 am (CNA/EWTN News).- A federal judge sparked criticism after he ruled unconstitutional the government’s accommodation of pro-life beliefs in … Continue reading
In the pre-Conciliar Missale Romanum this prayer was the Collect of the 23rd Sunday after Pentecost. COLLECT Absolve, quaesumus, Domine, tuorum delicta populorum, ut a peccatorum nexibus, quae pro nostra fragilitate contraximus, tua benignitate liberemur. In the ancient Veronese Sacramentary our prayer … Continue reading
I just watched the movie Courageous, about some men who decide they will make a special commitment to be better men and good fathers. The context is Georgia and the milieu is decidedly Baptist, though one of the main characters … Continue reading
Some music to accompany my preliminary rant. Read while listening. [wp_youtube]TVjDP0vlem4[/wp_youtube] I have seen sharp criticisms launched by lay people against bishops whom they accuse of being weak in the public debate about Pres. Obama’s attacks on the religious … Continue reading