Search Fr. Z’s Blog
SHOPPING ONLINE? Please, always come here first!
Enter Amazon through my link. Use the search bar below. Fr Z will get a small percentage of what you spend.
Here's Fr. Z's "catholic" search for Amazon: US HERE - UK HERE And you do need a Kindle! - HERE
“This blog is like a fusion of the Baroque ‘salon’ with its well-tuned harpsichord around which polite society gathered for entertainment and edification and, on the other hand, a Wild West “saloon” with its out-of-tune piano and swinging doors, where everyone has a gun and something to say. Nevertheless, we try to point our discussions back to what it is to be Catholic in this increasingly difficult age, to love God, and how to get to heaven.” – Fr. Z
Coat of Arms by D Burkart
YOUR RECENT COMMENTS
- Elizabeth D: Maybe I’m the only person here who owns a printed copy of that document “Gui delines for the pastoral care of the road” ;. I have a Catholic Truth Society edition of...
- richiedel: Fr. MartinR 17;s biblical illiteracy is so glaring, it should disqualify him from having any sense of influence in matters Catholic, let alone Christian. The premise that fasting...
- Marion Ancilla Mariae II: Excerpts from an article posted by Brother Joseph, SFO (Secular Franciscan Order), on his blog, “Sai nt Francis SpeaksR 21; on Jan. 27, 2010 (SaintFran cisSpea...
- MissBee: Father, I really needed to see this. Thank you. I also struggle with memories from my previous life and it’s a difficult penance.
- MrsMacD: And Our Lady of Revelation in Rome. She specifical ly talks about this Pope. Pope Pius XII approved this apparition , it’s an extension of Fatima. There is a great series about her...
- roma247: Father Z et. al., please allow me to beg your pardon. Yes, I did think, but obviously my thoughts were muddled by my frustratio n and I went a bridge too far. I do not seek to excuse...
- Thomas: Great article! A sense of humor is crucial in these times!
- Ellen: One of my fellow teachers in RCIA always tells the class that God is a merciful God but He is also just so it behooves us not to do stupid and sinful things and if we do, we need to go to...
- Johann: God bless Father Murray for not being afraid to tell the truth and ask hard questions.
- frjimt: truly, right here in penna̷ 0; we had a brother priest, fr mike, 64, say his prayers, Holy Mass & sat down and died… ; a sudden, but not unprepared , journey 230; it was a...
- quovadis74: Hello Fr. Thompson. What about the use of the Liturgy of the Hours OP by Lay fraternity members? I’m a permanent deacon recently admitted into the Fraternity and I feel compelled to...
- Semper Gumby: Helpful Quaeritur. Amen to Forty Hours Devotion and Leonine Prayers. Suburbanba nshee: Thanks for going medieval with your comments, interestin g. From NLM, “By Nothing but...
- hwriggles4: I do know that if a man does not have an inkling to be a mentor, a helper, or a guide to other men (and women), he should not be ordained a priest. Men who would make good fathers are...
- LeeGilbert: FWIW, Today for the second day in a row I arrived early for 7AM Mass and there in the semi-darkn ess a priest was saying the old Mass, the Tridentine Mass, begun at 6AM. When I asked...
- chantgirl: It is natural to feel lingering guilt over confessed sins which have hurt others in a grave way. Ask anyone who has endured abuse, or has had an abortion, or has suffered from the...
- rcg: Oh, I think he did and is scared witless of it. Remember there was more than one Mary at the foot of the Cross and the one that discovered that The Tomb was empty was a person just like this...
- semperficatholic: When people talk about the “end times̶ 1; I just remind them that every second of the day it is the end of time for a lot of people. They die and their end has come just...
- Mark Windsor: This was very helpful to me personally ; immense gratitude toward the author.
- mbarry: Thanks, Jon Patrick. I ordered two Campion missals today. Sanctamiss a.org has a tutorial of sorts, it turns out, so I will probably just try to grind it out by attending once I get the...
- un-ionized: Miss Anita, I’m not in favor or moving priests around much but I have been in a parish where there was a cult of personalit y expressed in a poisonous system of favoritism ,...
- Dismas: @Gab – Three generation s of Catholics have been successive ly neglected and spirituall y abused for the false show of the Zeitgeist. I too see much of my own life in there. The world...
- Benedict Joseph: God’s grace is manifested in the soul who wrote this letter. They have absorbed the great truth contained in the Cross. This person has claimed the pearl of great price.
- SanSan: And I thought I had it bad when the priest started a “nam e that tune” ; during a homilyR 30;… Mea culpa watching the “wav e” made me so sad… .. Jesus...
- teomatteo: Seeing that elderly woman- on the first video- standing up to do the Wave reminded me of something my liberal sister-in- law said. The thanksgivi ng dinner we had right before the new...
- s i: Battle scars̷ 0;.I like that! Thanks for sharing Fr. Z and Anonymous.
CLICK and say your daily offerings!
- ASK FATHER: Should we pray for or against the success of the Synod?
- What passes for important today.
- YOU are other people. It’s always someone else… until it’s YOU.
- ASK FATHER: Are we are in the End Times?
- Fr. Murray’s Open Letter to ex-Card. McCarrick. Wherein Fr. Z rants.
- Cri de Coeur about lost innocence and The Present Crisis
- Card. Müller: “the real danger to today’s humanity is the greenhouse gases of sin and the global warming of unbelief”
- Thoughts on fatherhood and how priestly identity is undercut by short terms as pastors
- More Jesuit idiocy – BUT WAIT! There’s more!
- Henry Sire: “Archbishop Viganò is now living in fear of his life, quite literally.”
- One Mad Mom spanks James Martin, LGBTSJ
- ASK FATHER: Can a Dominican Tertiary priest use the Dominican Rite?
- Lay Rage in Chicago, Mary Eberstadt takes names, and Fr. Z rants
- There are more than one “lavender mafia”
- Your Sunday Sermon Notes
- WDTPRS – 17th Sunday after Pentecost: diabolical contagion
- We are all, I think, striving to understand how we got to the point where we are.
- ASK FATHER: What should we do for Ember Days?
- UPDATED – ACTION ITEM! 10 year old’s fundraiser for a Pregnancy Care Center
- At end of youth meeting, no Apostolic Benediction from Francis.
- Francis to clergy, seminarians, religion in Palermo: “Clericalism… one of the most difficult perversions”
- UPDATE: 15 Sept: Seven Sorrows of Mary, Mater Dolorosa, Queen of Martyrs – Queen of Clergy
- @BishopZubik announces traditional practices for @DioPitt
- Bits and pieces
- WDTPRS – 24th Ordinary Sunday: Does it make any difference to offer prayers to God?
- Videos and hi-res photos of the Consecration of the Abbey and Abbess of Gower
- UPDATED Mary, Queen of the Clergy holy cards with Daily Prayer for Priests – AVAILABLE!
- Of Friday and festive penitential Pesto fit for a King
- BOOKS RECEIVED: A hard look at Francis in Spanish by Argentinian author
- 14 Sept: 11th Anniversary of Summorum Pontificum – Thank you, Benedict XVI!
Let us pray…
Grant unto thy Church, we beseech Thee, O merciful God, that She, being gathered together by the Holy Ghost, may be in no wise troubled by attack from her foes. O God, who by sin art offended and by penance pacified, mercifully regard the prayers of Thy people making supplication unto Thee,and turn away the scourges of Thine anger which we deserve for our sins. Almighty and Everlasting God, in whose Hand are the power and the government of every realm: look down upon and help the Christian people that the heathen nations who trust in the fierceness of their own might may be crushed by the power of thine Arm. Through our Lord Jesus Christ, Thy Son, who liveth and reigneth with Thee in the unity of the Holy Ghost, God, world without end. R. Amen.
This blog has to earn its keep!
New miscellaneous releases and events
Yes, Fr. Z is taking ads…
A great hymnal…
Because it matters what children read…
I carry one of these super-strong rosaries in my spare mag pouch! The Swiss Guards have them too!
My "challenge coin" for my 25th anniversary of ordination in 2016.
Want one? I do exchanges with military and LEOs, etc. and you can make a donation.
Because you don’t know when you are going to need to move fast or get along without the supermarket…
PLEASE RESPOND. Pretty pleeeease?Loading ...
WDTPRS POLLLoading ...
Fr. Z’s stuff is everywhere
Help support Fr. Z’s Gospel of Life work at no cost to you. Do you need a Real Estate Agent? Calling these people is the FIRST thing you should do!
GREAT causes to support
Help Monks in Wyoming (coffee – UPDATED LINK) and Norcia (beer) and the wonderful "Soap Sisters" of Summit, NJ!
Please follow me on Twitter!
If you travel internationally, this is a super useful gizmo for your mobile internet data. I use one. If you get one through my link, I get data rewards.
Monthly Archives: March 2012
I get reams of email from people who, during confession, run into priests who don’t (or won’t) say the proper words of absolution, thus throwing them into doubts about whether or not they were validly absolved.
Under another entry I facetiously … Continue reading
The artist Daniel Mitsui, in his newsletter, indicates that he has new art, including a representation of the Glorious Mysteries (a nice gift to a priest after Easter) and – this really caught my eye – the Four Last Things!
I … Continue reading
Every once in a while I get an email asking for the Act of Contrition in Latin.
I am not sure why one would want to say her Act of Contrition in Latin. It seems to me that the Act is … Continue reading
Many thank to all of you who voted for this blog in the About.com awards. We prevailed in the Best Catholic Blog category. I am also glad that so many other good blogs and sites and publications were highlighted during … Continue reading
I received a note from the Communications office of the Archdiocese of New York about Card. Dolan’s video containing a short message about Holy Week and Easter. It seems to be aimed at young people. Have a look and … Continue reading
From CNN: ‘Massive’ credit card data breach involves all major brands
From FNC: MasterCard warns of possible security breach, Visa also reportedly affected
Fr. Z’s Litany for the Conversion of Internet Thugs (2.0)
Please use the sharing buttons! Thanks!
I have had two versions of the Via Crucis, or Stations of the Cross available in audio files, one by St. Alphonsus Liguori and the other by Pope Benedict in 2005. For these click HERE.
I … Continue reading
Sandro Magister has a piece today about what is going with sacred music in Rome, more specifically via the Sistine Chapel Choir and the Pontifical Institute for Sacred Music.
In a word: disaster.
Here is the first part:
Not Sacred Music, but Sounds … Continue reading
From the Catholic Sentinel:
US bishops set March 30 as day of prayer, fasting for religious liberty
Catholic News Service
WASHINGTON — The U.S. bishops have urged Catholics and “all people of faith” across the nation to observe March 30 as a day … Continue reading
Every once in a while people send in photos of their Z-Swag “in the wild”. Fun!
From a reader:
Got the CafePress delivery today and I went about to place the goods right away when I got off the train from work. … Continue reading
In the last couple weeks I have had posts about boys playing “Mass”, one had a great video, one had a photo I took of a photo at the funeral of a 60-year priest. Yesterday I posted in a review of … Continue reading
Federal judge rules as unconstitutional Catholic pro-life provisions in Trafficking Victims Prevention Act
Pro-life provisions in US bishops’ grant ruled unconstitutional
By Kevin J. Jones
Washington D.C., Mar 28, 2012 / 04:08 am (CNA/EWTN News).- A federal judge sparked criticism after he ruled unconstitutional the government’s accommodation of pro-life beliefs in an anti-human trafficking … Continue reading
In the pre-Conciliar Missale Romanum this prayer was the Collect of the 23rd Sunday after Pentecost.
Domine, tuorum delicta populorum,
ut a peccatorum nexibus,
quae pro nostra fragilitate contraximus,
tua benignitate liberemur.
In the ancient Veronese Sacramentary our prayer was found in the month of September, … Continue reading
I just watched the movie Courageous, about some men who decide they will make a special commitment to be better men and good fathers.
The context is Georgia and the milieu is decidedly Baptist, though one of the main characters is … Continue reading
Some music to accompany my preliminary rant. Read while listening.
I have seen sharp criticisms launched by lay people against bishops whom they accuse of being weak in the public debate about Pres. Obama’s attacks on the religious liberty of … Continue reading