Search Fr. Z’s Blog
SHOPPING ONLINE? Please, always come here first!
Enter Amazon through my link. Use the search bar below. Fr Z will get a small percentage of what you spend.
Here's Fr. Z's "catholic" search for Amazon: US HERE - UK HERE And you do need a Kindle! - HERE
“This blog is like a fusion of the Baroque ‘salon’ with its well-tuned harpsichord around which polite society gathered for entertainment and edification and, on the other hand, a Wild West “saloon” with its out-of-tune piano and swinging doors, where everyone has a gun and something to say. Nevertheless, we try to point our discussions back to what it is to be Catholic in this increasingly difficult age, to love God, and how to get to heaven.” – Fr. Z
Coat of Arms by D Burkart
YOUR RECENT COMMENTS
- originalsolitude: Further to my comment above, there̵ 7;s no need to log in to access Therese Ivers̵ 7; commentary on ESI.
- originalsolitude: Therese Ivers, canon lawyer and consecrate d virgin, has posted the first two parts of her commentary on ESI. I’m not sure whether you may have to sign up to read it....
- iamlucky13: The lighting in the video reminds me of something I’m pretty sure Fr. Z said previously about how church lighting shouldn 217;t necessaril y be about exhibiting the marvel...
- Gaetano: Chesterton addressed this point in Orthodoxy: If you leave a thing alone you leave it to a torrent of change. If you leave a white post alone it will soon be a black post. If you particu...
- Fr. John Zuhlsdorf: VP says: how the Church can claim indefectib ility given the overall quality of today’s clergy (there are of course individual exceptions ) And that is enough. The problem of...
- jameeka: “Tra dition holds us in a tension.” Good! At least It holds us.
- MrsMacD: Mark 13:11, “And when they shall lead you and deliver you up, be not thoughtful beforehand what you shall speak; but whatsoever shall be given you in that hour, that speak ye. For it...
- FN: When I first converted, 15 years ago now, I would start to cry every time I received Communion from the priest. His eyes were so holy it seemed to throw a switch in my heart. I was actua...
- VP: Not trustworth y. I am finding it more and more difficult to explain to my son, who is a possible vocation, how the Church can claim indefectib ility given the overall quality of today̵ 7;s...
- Peter Stuart: Sorry, no. There are good establishm ent priests for sure, but they work in an organizati on that’ ;s been playing games with the Church all my life and gives rewards for it, and...
- Kathleen10: I think most laity who go to the TLM see the Holy Mass just this way. I think many priests and Bishops and Cardinals and the pope would be surprised to know most laity who go to the TLM...
- JesusFreak84: A lot of my prayer books from the Christian East also include many petitions for the grace to weep over one’ s sins and faults. I’ve heard a legend that the frayed end of...
- Kathleen10: No. Not trustworth y. There isn’ t an organizati on of any kind that can give up it’s foundation and remain what it was. How would that even be possible. By definition you...
- teachermom24: The video captured what I felt in many churches in Rome. Not too sentimenta l for me, not at all. In 2012, my children and I assisted at our first TLM (St. Francis de Sales, St....
- KateD: Regarding the priest changing into Jesus̷ 0;.the good one’ s sure do get crucified like Him in today̵ 7;s Church. To me they often look like they have been beaten to a spirit...
- djc: Fr Z, have you thought about making a Vendée lapel pin available for sale on your site?
- iPadre: Fr. Z says: “Tha t’s not something that everyone sees, of course, because Mass is ad orientem. But it is a deeply intimate moment that probably shouldn’t be on display. 8221; And...
- JamesA: So many things to weep about these days, Father. Thank you for giving us a beautiful reason.
- fishonthehill: I think all in all a good clip. A little Italo sentimenta l/sappy. But the pace of everything slowing down is wonderful. And as you say, Fr. Z….. Brick by Brick; this is an...
- KateD: I know isn’ t it awful? My wake up call came as the credits rolled on the movie Fallen with Denzel Washington . The line in the Stones song Sympathy for the Devil about Anasta...
- Fr. John Zuhlsdorf: iPadre says: My favorite scene was when the priest changed into Jesus. That’s us. Alter Christus! Note also that one of those moments of the Mass was the “Sup plices te...
- Fr. John Zuhlsdorf: Charlotte Allen says: the young woman in the video Yes, the girlfriend angle also occurred to me. However, I think it is more likely that she, in her lovely, flashy, worldly...
- southernpriest: What a beautiful screen shot of our Lord’ ;s Blood dripping into the chalice! As a late vocation, I spent many early years way from the Mass, but not from going to Mary...
- Fr. John Zuhlsdorf: LeeGilbert says: walking in galleries, or counting the interest of my revenues, Indeed. This is why the true full, active and conscious participat ion desired by the Council...
- LeeGilbert: from de Rancés On the Sanctity and Duties of the Monastic State: St. Jerome, penetrated with sorrow, cries out on the same subject: If I had no faith I would not pray at all; but if I...
CLICK and say your daily offerings!
- Are we still trustworthy?
- Lovely, drippy, syrupy TLM and vocation video. Then Fr. Z rants about crying.
- The image of the badge of the Vendée came to mind today
- ACTION ITEM! Spiritual Bouquet for Bp. Morlino
- Fr. Z’s Kitchen: Garofolato!
- ASK FATHER: Cremains in funeral Mass, Traditional Requiem
- Pontifical Mass in Lake Charles. A brief and yet optimistic rant from Fr. Z.
- The last 10 minutes…
- 17 July 1794: “Permission to die, Mother?”
- 17 July 2018 – 100 years after
- Cobblestones, new vestments, and swag for Zed Heads
- More shallow, angry, cliché feminist rubbish from Fishwrap
- The demographics of church participation are shifting.
- ACTION ITEM! Urgent prayer request for a priest
- Your Sunday Sermon Notes
- “St Swithin’s day if thou be fair…”
- What priests can – with credibility – do in marriage preparation
- French stones and soutanes
- US Association of Consecrated Virgins condemns confusing new rules from Holy See
- What could possibly go wrong?
- ¡Hagan lío! in Poland. Young, and raising hell…. correction… razing Hell.
- WDTPRS – 15th Ordinary Sunday: We can stray off the path to the right or to the left.
- 12 July: Sts. Louis Martin and Marie-Azélie Guérin
- Does “Beans” @MassimoFaggioli undermine ‘Humanae vitae’?
- ASK FATHER: Mom baptized my child in the bathtub
- INTERESTING UPDATE – Pope Francis phones Gianni Vattimo, philosopher of “weak thought”
- SSPX ELECTS NEW SUPERIOR GENERAL – UPDATED
- Ex ore infantium perfecisti laudem
- ASK FATHER: Should a priest have a day off?
- ASK FATHER: Traditional Latin Mass in a Protestant church?
Let us pray…
Grant unto thy Church, we beseech Thee, O merciful God, that She, being gathered together by the Holy Ghost, may be in no wise troubled by attack from her foes. O God, who by sin art offended and by penance pacified, mercifully regard the prayers of Thy people making supplication unto Thee,and turn away the scourges of Thine anger which we deserve for our sins. Almighty and Everlasting God, in whose Hand are the power and the government of every realm: look down upon and help the Christian people that the heathen nations who trust in the fierceness of their own might may be crushed by the power of thine Arm. Through our Lord Jesus Christ, Thy Son, who liveth and reigneth with Thee in the unity of the Holy Ghost, God, world without end. R. Amen.
My "challenge coin" for my 25th anniversary of ordination in 2016.
Want one? I do exchanges with military and LEOs, etc. and you can make a donation.
New miscellaneous releases and events
Yes, Fr. Z is taking ads…
A great hymnal…
Because it matters what children read…
I carry one of these super-strong rosaries in my spare mag pouch! The Swiss Guards have them too!
Because you don’t know when you are going to need to move fast or get along without the supermarket…
PLEASE RESPOND. Pretty pleeeease?Loading ...
WDTPRS POLLLoading ...
Fr. Z’s stuff is everywhere
Help support Fr. Z’s Gospel of Life work at no cost to you. Do you need a Real Estate Agent? Calling these people is the FIRST thing you should do!
GREAT causes to support
Help Monks in Wyoming (coffee – UPDATED LINK) and Norcia (beer) and the wonderful "Soap Sisters" of Summit, NJ!
Please follow me on Twitter!
If you travel internationally, this is a super useful gizmo for your mobile internet data. I use one. If you get one through my link, I get data rewards.
Monthly Archives: March 2012
I get reams of email from people who, during confession, run into priests who don’t (or won’t) say the proper words of absolution, thus throwing them into doubts about whether or not they were validly absolved.
Under another entry I facetiously … Continue reading
The artist Daniel Mitsui, in his newsletter, indicates that he has new art, including a representation of the Glorious Mysteries (a nice gift to a priest after Easter) and – this really caught my eye – the Four Last Things!
I … Continue reading
Every once in a while I get an email asking for the Act of Contrition in Latin.
I am not sure why one would want to say her Act of Contrition in Latin. It seems to me that the Act is … Continue reading
Many thank to all of you who voted for this blog in the About.com awards. We prevailed in the Best Catholic Blog category. I am also glad that so many other good blogs and sites and publications were highlighted during … Continue reading
I received a note from the Communications office of the Archdiocese of New York about Card. Dolan’s video containing a short message about Holy Week and Easter. It seems to be aimed at young people. Have a look and … Continue reading
From CNN: ‘Massive’ credit card data breach involves all major brands
From FNC: MasterCard warns of possible security breach, Visa also reportedly affected
Fr. Z’s Litany for the Conversion of Internet Thugs (2.0)
Please use the sharing buttons! Thanks!
I have had two versions of the Via Crucis, or Stations of the Cross available in audio files, one by St. Alphonsus Liguori and the other by Pope Benedict in 2005. For these click HERE.
I … Continue reading
Sandro Magister has a piece today about what is going with sacred music in Rome, more specifically via the Sistine Chapel Choir and the Pontifical Institute for Sacred Music.
In a word: disaster.
Here is the first part:
Not Sacred Music, but Sounds … Continue reading
From the Catholic Sentinel:
US bishops set March 30 as day of prayer, fasting for religious liberty
Catholic News Service
WASHINGTON — The U.S. bishops have urged Catholics and “all people of faith” across the nation to observe March 30 as a day … Continue reading
Every once in a while people send in photos of their Z-Swag “in the wild”. Fun!
From a reader:
Got the CafePress delivery today and I went about to place the goods right away when I got off the train from work. … Continue reading
In the last couple weeks I have had posts about boys playing “Mass”, one had a great video, one had a photo I took of a photo at the funeral of a 60-year priest. Yesterday I posted in a review of … Continue reading
Federal judge rules as unconstitutional Catholic pro-life provisions in Trafficking Victims Prevention Act
Pro-life provisions in US bishops’ grant ruled unconstitutional
By Kevin J. Jones
Washington D.C., Mar 28, 2012 / 04:08 am (CNA/EWTN News).- A federal judge sparked criticism after he ruled unconstitutional the government’s accommodation of pro-life beliefs in an anti-human trafficking … Continue reading
In the pre-Conciliar Missale Romanum this prayer was the Collect of the 23rd Sunday after Pentecost.
Domine, tuorum delicta populorum,
ut a peccatorum nexibus,
quae pro nostra fragilitate contraximus,
tua benignitate liberemur.
In the ancient Veronese Sacramentary our prayer was found in the month of September, … Continue reading
I just watched the movie Courageous, about some men who decide they will make a special commitment to be better men and good fathers.
The context is Georgia and the milieu is decidedly Baptist, though one of the main characters is … Continue reading
Some music to accompany my preliminary rant. Read while listening.
I have seen sharp criticisms launched by lay people against bishops whom they accuse of being weak in the public debate about Pres. Obama’s attacks on the religious liberty of … Continue reading