St. Richard of Chichester. Another Richard remembered.

The feast of St. Richard of Chichester cannot go by without my remembering a limerick my old pastor Msgr. Richard Schuler would occasionally quote:

There was an old Bishop of Chichester,
Who said thrice (the Latin for which is ‘ter’),
“Avaunt and defiance,
Foul spirit called Science,
And quit Mother Church, thou bewitchest her.”

On this topic I recommend the book, Galileo in Rome: The Rise and Fall of a Troublesome Genius by William R. Shea and Mariano Artigas and Dava Sobel’s A More Perfect Heaven: How Copernicus Revolutionized the Cosmos (UK edition HERE).  In additon, there is Heilbron’s The Sun In The Church and Galileo by the same.

Happy feast of St. Richard!

Technorati Tags: , , , , ,

This entry was posted in Just Too Cool, Lighter fare, Look! Up in the sky!, Saints: Stories & Symbols and tagged , , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

6 Responses to St. Richard of Chichester. Another Richard remembered.

1. Centristian says:

He’s my second patron as his first name is my second, and I ask St. Richard to pray for me every day, especially today. I also ask him, in a special way, to pray for another English bishop named Richard, once my rector and professor, and a very troubled soul whom I sorrow over but have great hopes for. St. Richard, pray for us both!

2. filioque says:

And don’t forget another excellent book by Dava Sobel, Galileo’s Daughter. His daughter was a nun, a faithful correspondent, and wise advisor (he should have followed her advice).

3. Fr. Augustine Thompson O.P. says:

My confirmation saint! Even though I could not have know then that he did this theology with Dominicans and was the bishop most responsible for bringing the Dominicans into England. The order I eventually joined. His cult was second, among bishop saints, only to St. Thomas of Canterbury, before the English state decided to abolish religious liberty.

It is perhaps typical that the first Anglican “bishop” of Chichester not only robed St. Richard’s shine but also “destroyed the shrine down to the ground.” Attempting to obliterate his relics and cult. I find it amusing that more recent Anglicans have set up a rather vulgar modernist style “shrine.” Too late, too little.

Let us pray for many more modern Catholic bishops after his example.

4. Flavius Clemens says:

My parish is St Richard of Chichester, so I have taken a very big interest in him. What a holy and fearless leader against a corrupt government!

As an aside, we have had many priests from Ireland in my diocese. They have been a huge blessing and often exhibit a great sense of humor. The founding pastor of my parish was American, and apparently was the butt of Irish jokes about his very English surname. As the story goes, he promoted the idea of the parish being named after an English saint as his way of getting back at the Sons of Erin!

5. Andy Milam says:

He certainly was a very, very gifted man. There are not many days that pass that I don’t think of him, at least in fleeting thought. Currently though, I do pray from a rosary daily that belonged to him. It was given to me on his passing.

For those of us who knew “The Boss,” personally, there are a million little things which can make us chuckle, for those who didn’t know Monsignor Schuler well, please join those of us who did know him well, by standing with us in awe of his legacy. It is something that we should NEVER let pass from memory.

A special thanks to Fr. Z for not letting his memory pass from the public eye…even if it is only in his little corner of the world! It is a great work of charity.

Father, THANK YOU!!! (from another member of “The Farm.”)

6. Nicole says:

Thanks for the amusing limerick in the morning… :)