Search Fr. Z’s Blog
SHOPPING ONLINE? Please, always come here first!
Enter Amazon through my link. Use the search bar below. Fr Z will get a small percentage of what you spend.
Here's Fr. Z's "catholic" search for Amazon: US HERE - UK HERE And you do need a Kindle! - HERE
“This blog is like a fusion of the Baroque ‘salon’ with its well-tuned harpsichord around which polite society gathered for entertainment and edification and, on the other hand, a Wild West “saloon” with its out-of-tune piano and swinging doors, where everyone has a gun and something to say. Nevertheless, we try to point our discussions back to what it is to be Catholic in this increasingly difficult age, to love God, and how to get to heaven.” – Fr. Z
Coat of Arms by D Burkart
YOUR RECENT COMMENTS
- LatinMan: Agree with the Gold Star Poster above. At first, this kind of a thing could distress me, but now I just shrug it off. Not because it isn’t bad, but because it seems par for the course for...
- Argument Clinician: The Apostles of the Sacred Heart of Jesus are a great active order. They run a high school for girls in Saint Louis that has consistent ly been one of solid Catholic formati...
- Bthompson: https://ww w.sisterso fmarymc.or g Sisters of Mary, Mother of the Church, (of the Diocese of Spokane, Wa). Amazing and holy women. They share a common origin with the Marian Sisters of...
- Fr. Kelly: Dear Reader, My heart goes out to you in your search to follow Christ as his bride. It can be truly difficult to find the order that He may be calling you to. Fortunatel y, it sounds...
- surritter: Imrahil — Of course I agree with you that sexuality is not a man-made construct. The end of my post was meant to clarify the sarcasm. But specifical ly, the person who put quotes...
- BetsyRheaume: Sisters of our Mother of Divine Grace. https://ww w.sistersm dg.org/ The sisters were part of an order in Washington State that wasn’ ;t in communion with Rome and they left and...
- jeb0001: @JonPatric k, the K2 kit is amazing but rather involved. I have one as my main rig and it works great. Make sure you have a good iron, good solder, and wick with flux on hand if you decide...
- Anita Moore, O.P.(lay): Yes, Rudolf Hoess converted — reverted — before his execution. He was moved by the kind treatment he received at the hands of his Polish jailers, and also by a sound we hear...
- LeeGilbert: Father, you write, “Our forebears did this, with their weekly return to church on a weekday for devotions such as the Novena to Our Lady of Perpetual Help, for 1st Friday, 1st...
- Nicholas: DeGaulle, the only issue I see discussed in this post is delicious, delicious food.
- brk: Active Norbertine Sisters Wilmington , California http://www .congregat ionofnorbe rtinesiste rs.org/ Sisters of Mary, Mother of the Church Spokane, Washington https://si stersofmar ymc.org/
- Suburbanbanshee: Rachel Fulton Brown̵ 7;s new medieval studies book, Mary and the Art of Prayer, has to spend a lot of time explaining devotions and Marian ways to read Scripture before she can...
- Sword40: The only Jesuit, that I have personally known, is Fr. Ken Baker. He is NOT what you’ d call a “mod ern” Jesuit. He will be 89 this November. He used to say the low Mass...
- The Egyptian: The Pope does not lie, he is DEFINITELY not attached to order of any type. I disrepair of my faith sometimes, bad bishops and a incomprehe nsible pope to boot
- ajf1984: On the point of reviving older practices of piety: this past Sunday, our young priest preached on his experience this past summer of the 40 Hours Devotion while on retreat with brother...
- Unwilling: Superb! Complete. Particular ly contextual izing true doctrine in real love: both the ooey-gooey and the fiercely loyal types, correspond ing to the corporeal and spiritual nature of...
- MrsMacD: My husband had his grandfathe r’s old ham radio and I sent it away when we downsized since he never used it. I regret that whenever you bring up the topic. Funny family circus type...
- WmHesch: Franciscan Daughters of Mary, Covington KY (5 min from Cincinnati ) http://www .fdofmary. org
- Kate: Several that use the EF: Slaves of the Immaculate Heart of Mary. They were irregular, but became canonicall y regular during the last year or two. Still small, but growing (but that descri...
- Sonshine135: The Daughters of the Virgin Mother in Gastonia, NC (near Charlotte) here They are awesome. Just a brief descriptio n of their ministry: While living as visible witnesses, the Sisters...
- Malta: I come from a military family: I signed-up during Desert Storm I, my dad was in Vietnam, my grandfathe r was a B-17 pilot during WWII, and flew all 26 missions they were allowed to fly over...
- seeker: When I read “fre e from disordered attachment s” I initially thought it meant Francis was not a practicing homosexual . The rest of the quote put the authorR 17;s meaning in...
- ChrisP: So why did Zenit remove it?
- Semper Gumby: JesusFreak 84: Yes, that’ ;s my understand ing too. In addition to deterrence , a time limit can focus the mind of the criminal on repentance . Avery Dulles in First Things:...
- Lurker 59: To the questioner ’s point about “whi ch catechism? ”: You need to read things in concert and read as much as you can. One single catechism doesn̵ 7;t work because...
CLICK and say your daily offerings!
- ASK FATHER: “I now have doubt about sorting the doctrinal from the papal opinion.” Wherein Fr. Z rants.
- ASK FATHER: Faithful, active women religious. Where to go?
- Insightful observation about Pope Francis – UPDATES!
- St. Maximilian Kolbe, priest, martyr, ham radio operator, intercede for dissident ‘c’atholic media!
- Fr. Z’s Kitchen: Beans in a bottle, and Beans in a bubble.
- A Tale of Two Churches
- Your Good News – Mass for Benefactors
- Non-Catholics and Catholics alike wonder about changes to CCC 2276 on death penalty
- Your Sunday Sermon Notes – UPDATE: Photos of seminarians Solemn Mass
- PODCAzT 165: Liturgical battles lost and won… and lost; don Camillo (Part X)
- Super creepy poster for “gay” conference reveals agenda
- Controversy over the Holy Father’s substitution of CCC 2267 continues.
- Omnium Gatherum: Francis falling, beans in flasks, Fishwrap’s Defarge, sexual abuse by nuns
- ASK FATHER: Invalidly married niece coming to visit with husband. What to do?
- ASK FATHER: Our Lady, Queen of the Clergy – “Young priests would like to know more…”
- “Association of the Lord’s Body with the needs of our bodies, and of his Blood with the needs of our souls…”
- “Twelve priests celebrated the traditional Mass for the first time during…”
- Archd. BOSTON – @bostoncatholic – Seminary and Cathedral
- WDTPRS – 19th Ordinary Sunday: trusting audacity and harrowing consolation
- US Navy and China faceoffs – disturbing
- The Goat Rodeo Continues: correction of French text of CCC 2267
- Vigil and the Tears of St Lawrence
- VIDEO Interview: Bp. Gainer of @HBGDiocese about Traditional Roman Rite and vocations
- PODCAzT 164: Open Letter From A Young Priest To Bishops
- Tradition is about to be totally cleared ‘cleared through customs’
- UPDATE: How I feel right now.
- Special message, prayer from Card. Burke for @fatherz readers and others
- An unsolved priest’s murder and forecast of today’s clerical chaos
- The sky is crying.
- My View For Awhile: Annual Canon Law Conference
Let us pray…
Grant unto thy Church, we beseech Thee, O merciful God, that She, being gathered together by the Holy Ghost, may be in no wise troubled by attack from her foes. O God, who by sin art offended and by penance pacified, mercifully regard the prayers of Thy people making supplication unto Thee,and turn away the scourges of Thine anger which we deserve for our sins. Almighty and Everlasting God, in whose Hand are the power and the government of every realm: look down upon and help the Christian people that the heathen nations who trust in the fierceness of their own might may be crushed by the power of thine Arm. Through our Lord Jesus Christ, Thy Son, who liveth and reigneth with Thee in the unity of the Holy Ghost, God, world without end. R. Amen.
This blog has to earn its keep!
New miscellaneous releases and events
Yes, Fr. Z is taking ads…
A great hymnal…
Because it matters what children read…
I carry one of these super-strong rosaries in my spare mag pouch! The Swiss Guards have them too!
My "challenge coin" for my 25th anniversary of ordination in 2016.
Want one? I do exchanges with military and LEOs, etc. and you can make a donation.
Because you don’t know when you are going to need to move fast or get along without the supermarket…
PLEASE RESPOND. Pretty pleeeease?Loading ...
WDTPRS POLLLoading ...
Fr. Z’s stuff is everywhere
Help support Fr. Z’s Gospel of Life work at no cost to you. Do you need a Real Estate Agent? Calling these people is the FIRST thing you should do!
GREAT causes to support
Help Monks in Wyoming (coffee – UPDATED LINK) and Norcia (beer) and the wonderful "Soap Sisters" of Summit, NJ!
Please follow me on Twitter!
If you travel internationally, this is a super useful gizmo for your mobile internet data. I use one. If you get one through my link, I get data rewards.
Monthly Archives: May 2012
The flight passed without an inordinate number of alarming incidents.
I am glad to report that Delta has updated their video system, though I wonder if their choices of Snakes On A Plane, Airport, Castaway, Con Air, Passenger 57, … Continue reading
I am just getting up to speed on this, since I am on the road.
Someone submitted a question to the Pontifical Commission “Ecclesia Dei” about whether or not we fulfilled our obligation on days of precept (i.e., Sundays, Holy Days … Continue reading
My view for a few hours and it has already been a long day.
In rooting around in my things while writing an article for the paper, I found a great quote of Augustine.
For Augustine all created things in the universe, even inanimate things, both give witness to God and give Him glory.
“Respondent tibi … Continue reading
Our friends at Rorate have a good post reminding us that today, which on my planet is Wednesday in the Octave of Pentecost, is also an Ember Day.
More on Ember Days, HERE.
Traditionally, these Ember Days were times for ordinations. Therefore, … Continue reading
I just found this on the site of the USCCB:
Catholics Care. Catholics Vote.
I won’t explain it because I want to manipulate you into going there to see what it is.
People are sending me email about the reconciliation of the SSPX being “postponed”.
How can something that was not scheduled be postponed?
Relax. Breathe. Pray.
The Holy Father has plenty to do. There are few important things he is surely … Continue reading
The Fishwrap (aka the ultra-liberal dissenting National Catholic Reporter) has published a prayer written by a woman religious in advance of responding to the Congregation for the Doctrine of the Faith and the upcoming annual meeting of the Leadership Conference … Continue reading
The liturgical eye-candy specialists at NLM have posted some great photos of the annual pilgrimage to Chartres Cathedral (for those of you in Fridley, that’s a big, pretty church in France).
We need more processions.
Anecdote: One day in May I was … Continue reading
The Administration of “The First Gay President” is attacking the first liberties of all Americans by undermining the 1st Amendment. Pres. Obama is, through the HHS mandate, attacking also the Catholic Church and all religious institutions in the USA.
I posted … Continue reading
May I ask for your prayers for three personal intentions?
In your charity will you stop and pray for this man?
Restrictions in place for bishop’s funeral
Officials say ‘no’ to honoring status of Changzhi prelate who died last week
ucanews.com reporter, Changzhi
May 30, 2012Government officials have barred the Church community from … Continue reading
From a reader:
I make frequent use of the Sacrament of Penance and have a regular confessor. It’s always “anonymous,” but not anonymous. It’s awkward. The priest knows it’s me, but when he’s giving counsel he gets caught up on trying come up with … Continue reading
Via Sancte Pater comes this from Inquisitr:
(The Inquisitr) The people of Saudi Arabia are furious with the McDonald’s fast food chain for a toy which they say desecrates the name of Muhammed, the prophet of Islam. They are demanding retribution.
According to … Continue reading
The “Law of the Sea” Treaty (LOST) would, if ratified by the Senate, undermine U.S. sovereignty. LOST is also called the “United Nations Convention on the Law of the Sea.” It would give huge power over many spheres of America trade … Continue reading