Search Fr. Z’s Blog
SHOPPING ONLINE? Please, always come here first!Enter Amazon through my link, the image below (they took away our search box!), and I will get a small percentage of what you spend. (Pssst - Can't see it? Turn off your "ad-blocker" for this site!)
Here's a generic "catholic" search start point for Amazon:
And you do need a Kindle! - HERE
“This blog is like a fusion of the Baroque ‘salon’ with its well-tuned harpsichord around which polite society gathered for entertainment and edification and, on the other hand, a Wild West “saloon” with its out-of-tune piano and swinging doors, where everyone has a gun and something to say. Nevertheless, we try to point our discussions back to what it is to be Catholic in this increasingly difficult age, to love God, and how to get to heaven.” – Fr. Z
YOUR RECENT COMMENTS
- TonyO: I was at the March. Looked for you. Did not see you. Perhaps because there were a couple hundred thousand others? I just wonder whether the Park Police put the location of the rally and the...
- cwillia1: If you memorize your prayer rule, the prayers are always with you. You don’ t have to flip through a book. You don’ t need a book. If your eyes go bad, you can pray. You can...
- TonyO: Imrahil, most of what you said, up to a point, was very well said. Up to the point where you said the ultimate decision whether they are ready and worthy is with the bridespeop le themsel...
- Fr. Kelly: Brother, I rejoice with you that you have so quickly come to this realizatio n of how completely the Mass informs our life as priests. This is true of the Mass in all of it̵...
- APX: With God in Russia is a great book and very inspiring without actually being written as a spiritual book. It was written discussing primarily Fr. CiszekR 17;s exterior experience in Russia....
- vetusta ecclesia: Is it permitted for a priest to say Mass at an altar set up in a private house? [Yes.] I thought a private altar was an episcopal prerogativ e. [No.]
- Sandy: Your young priestR 17;s account brings tears to my eyes, and the same for the priestR 17;s story of being in Russia. The very first thought I had while reading these words was that I...
- David L Alexander: “The problem with that is that we don’t know what was meant be ordination when it came to women.R 21; What we do know, is that it wasn’ ;t the same understand ing...
- hwriggles4: Fr Z: Went to the Dallas Texas March for Life yesterday. 11,000 were estimated in attendance according to one of the organizers who was a speaker. Quite a few Catholics, and several...
- Benedict Joseph: LIFESITE reported on Friday that it appears the spontaneou s event was not so…s pontaneous . https://ww w.lifesite news.com/n ews/weddin g-on-popes -airplane- not-as-...
- Suburbanbanshee: Let’ s be fair. It is not always easy to get around or to get off work, particular ly for rural people. I will say that I loved the music and chant at the Ichique, Chile...
- ServusChristi: Well along with the shrinking sizes of papal masses, I can see the number of vocations isn’ t promising, even in the Pope’ ;s home city Buenos Aires where only a handful...
- Legisperitus: Pappy is nice when you can get it, but Weller Antique is purt-near as good.
- Traductora: I read the Spanish and Latin American press and they have all been commenting on the lousy attendance at the Pope’s events. Also, one source in Italy says that the Piazza is practic...
- jhayes: Crux has confirmed that there were two witnesses to the wedding (a Cardinal and the CEO of the airline) and that there was a formal marriage license drafted by the Cardinals who accompa...
- chantgirl: Last year was estimated around 500k and it seemed much more packed this year. I was so encouraged to see so many priests marching. I would say that 90% of them were in cassocks! All in...
- Huber: Watching the papal Masses on EWTN, I had noticed that they didnt do any wide shots or panning the of the crowds. There were lots of closeups and relatively lows shots of the crowds and...
- Imrahil: Dear Ave Crux, I did not say it was a good thing, that is in all respects. As it were, I mentioned the problems. I did not say either that it was all about feeling good. In fact, I see a...
- acardnal: Watching the Pope address priests and religious in Peru now on EWTN I note that he used one of his commonly used phrases again, “self-abso rbed promethean neopelagia nism.̶ 1;
- DavidR: Re: the March for Life attendance coverage; Fake News.
- DavidR: So, do you fly Delta as a form of penance?
- SKAY: Great comment Kathleen10 . It expresses my feelings also. “I look forward to the day when the Good Lord sets it right again.R 21; So do I.
- JPD: People are more attracted to what is authentic; it has meaning to their lives. The Pro-Life movement is authentic; it upholds natural law, while Pope Francis does not appear authentic evident...
- Ave Crux: “An unnamed vicar general has commented on Pope Francis’ marriage on an airplane, ‘If he were a priest in my diocese I would ensure he was suspended, and at his age retired...
- Semper Gumby: A bit late here, just thought I’d chip in my two cents on these Signs of the Times. In 1982 George Kelling and James Q. Wilson wrote an article in the Atlantic (it’ s...
CLICK and say your daily offering!
- Your Sunday Sermon Notes
- From a priest: an interesting experience saying Mass
- OLDIE PODCAzT 127: The Eve of St. Agnes and a Bleak Midwinter
- My View For A While: Counter March
- #March4Life numbers and Pres. Trump’s words
- DC March for Life 2018 – DAY 2: Forward MARCH!
- DC March for Life 2018 – DAY 1: Paintings and plots
- Canonist Ed Peters on the Papal mid-air airplane nuptials
- The Pope marries a couple on the papal airplane. Hmmm.
- Big Business Is WATCHING!
- My View For Awhile: March For Life 2018 Edition
- “The Triumph of Marcantonio Colonna” described
- ASK FATHER: Would anything prevent a priest from always using the traditional formula of absolution?
- 2 Feb – MADISON – Candlemas – Pontifical Mass at the Throne
- Card. Müller on authority of Popes, possibility of others correcting contradictory papal teachings
- ASK FATHER: If I remember a sin after confessing, should I interrupt the priest and tell him?
- Slithery misdirection from the National Sodomitical Reporter: Bishops who avoid scandal commit scandal
- An Armenian bishop “ordains” a deaconette
- Two seriously ugly signs of the times involving papal honors and the silencing of bells
- BOOK RECEIVED about Martin Luther (not King but by “King”)
- ASK FATHER: How do I find out which territorial parish I live in?
- Who cares what libs think? Boldly recover and use great traditional items and vesture of yore.
- ASK FATHER: If I confess to watching porn, must I say it was homosexual porn?
- ACTION ITEM! Petition against removal of historic Cross where Fr. Marquette died
- ASK FATHER: We want our children to have reverent Masses. Can we go to the SSPX chapel?
- VIDEO Bp. Athanasius Schneider interview about “Amoris laetitia” Controversy
- ASK FATHER: Should I tell a noisy penitent that we can hear everything said in the confessional?
- Observing the Feast of the Ass – 14 January
- A false #missilethreat is NOTHING compared to this REAL DEATH THREAT
- 14 Jan – Happy Feast of the Ass!
Let us pray…
Grant unto thy Church, we beseech Thee, O merciful God, that She, being gathered together by the Holy Ghost, may be in no wise troubled by attack from her foes. O God, who by sin art offended and by penance pacified, mercifully regard the prayers of Thy people making supplication unto Thee,and turn away the scourges of Thine anger which we deserve for our sins. Almighty and Everlasting God, in whose Hand are the power and the government of every realm: look down upon and help the Christian people that the heathen nations who trust in the fierceness of their own might may be crushed by the power of thine Arm. Through our Lord Jesus Christ, Thy Son, who liveth and reigneth with Thee in the unity of the Holy Ghost, God, world without end. R. Amen.
New miscellaneous releases and events
Yes, Fr. Z is taking ads…
A great hymnal…
Because it matters what children read…
I carry one of these super-strong rosaries in my spare mag pouch! The Swiss Guards have them too!
Because you don’t know when you are going to need to move fast or get along without the supermarket…
PLEASE RESPOND. Pretty pleeeease?Loading ...
WDTPRS POLLLoading ...
Fr. Z’s stuff is everywhere
Help support Fr. Z’s Gospel of Life work at no cost to you. Do you need a Real Estate Agent? Calling these people is the FIRST thing you should do!
GREAT causes to support
Help Monks in Wyoming (coffee – UPDATED LINK) and Norcia (beer) and the wonderful "Soap Sisters" of Summit, NJ!
Please follow me on Twitter!
If you travel internationally, this is a super useful gizmo for your mobile internet data. I use one. If you get one through my link, I get data rewards.
A book by an old friend…
Daily Archives: 25 May 2012
A while back there was a dippy filmette about wymynprysts “Pink Smoke Over the Vatican” inspired by an equally dippy column in the Bakersfield Californian by one Valerie Schultz, a board member of CSUB’s Institute for Religion, Education, and Public … Continue reading
QUAERITUR: If we have to agree with Vatican II do we have to agree with Communion in the hand, altar girls, EMHCs, etc?
From a reader:
I’m wondering what type of assent are we as Catholics supposed to give
to the Vatican II council? Also do we have an obligation to agree with
things like Communion in the hand, and other parts in the liturgy that
are … Continue reading
I have an obligation as an Unreconstructed Ossified Manualist to remind (or in many cases teach) you about something before the big Memorial Day (PENTECOST) weekend.
The manualist I sometimes cite, Fr. Adolphe Tanquerey, writes about temptation in The Spiritual Life. … Continue reading
On the right sidebar, I have quite a few links to posts, even those which have scrolled off the front page. But here are some for your convenience (especially for those of you sending me email about things I have … Continue reading
From a son-to-be ordained deacon:
Many years ago, as I was beginning in seminary, I made a private vow to the Blessed Virgin that I would offer the first liturgically free Mass in her honor if she would help me to … Continue reading
From the intrepid Andrea Tornielli of La Stampa:
Vatican announces it has caught poison pen letter writer
The culprit is allegedly the Pope’s butler, a layman. But doubts are growing in the Holy See
The Vatican Gendarmerie’s inquiry into the publication … Continue reading
I recently received from the UK-based Catholic Truth Society, a copy of their Manual of Minor Exorcisms – For the use of Priests.
And excellent.. excellent… gift for a priest or a transitional deacon about to be ordained (less so for … Continue reading
From a reader for your Just Too Cool file:
Anglo-Saxon Window Glass Discovered at Glastonbury Abbey (Somerset)
New research led by the University of Reading has revealed that finds at Glastonbury Abbey provide the earliest archaeological evidence for glass-making in Britain.
Professor Roberta … Continue reading
I hope by now you have watched the Catholic News Service videos about the SSPX.
Meanwhile, in my native place of Minnesota – ground zero for defense of true marriage – comes this!
WARNING! The light reflected from all that gray hair … Continue reading
I continue to be amazed at the recent coverage by the Catholic News Service
of the SSPX. They are putting up beautful videos and they are being very … positive.
The Catholic News Service! Really!
Here is their blurb:
This week we continue … Continue reading
I have a request. Let’s have some first Mass tales.
This is the season for ordinations to the priesthood in many places.
I would appreciate notes especially from new priests about their choices for their first Masses.
I am especially interested in your … Continue reading
When covering anything having to do with the Congregation for the Doctrine of the Faith’s reform of the leadership of the Leadership Conference of Women Religious (LCWR – a subsidiary of the Magisterium of Nuns) the liberal press claims that … Continue reading
Pres. Obama, the First Gay President, has demonstrated time and time again that he will say anything to anyone for the sake of political expediency.
Here is story from the Daily Caller with my emphases and comments:
Obama, the born-again Catholic
Amid polls showing that … Continue reading
Please use the sharing buttons! Thanks!
Here is a great project promoted by His Excellency Most Rev. Robert Finn, Bishop of Kansas City-St. Joseph.
I am especially happy to promote this, because the Memorare is one of my favorite prayers, and I … Continue reading