Search Fr. Z’s Blog
SHOPPING ONLINE? Please, always come here first!Enter Amazon through my link, the image below (they took away our search box!), and I will get a small percentage of what you spend. (Pssst - Can't see it? Turn off your "ad-blocker" for this site!)
Here's a generic "catholic" search start point for Amazon:
And you do need a Kindle! - HERE
“This blog is like a fusion of the Baroque ‘salon’ with its well-tuned harpsichord around which polite society gathered for entertainment and edification and, on the other hand, a Wild West “saloon” with its out-of-tune piano and swinging doors, where everyone has a gun and something to say. Nevertheless, we try to point our discussions back to what it is to be Catholic in this increasingly difficult age, to love God, and how to get to heaven.” – Fr. Z
YOUR RECENT COMMENTS
- Knight from 13904: I totally agree with your comment about the beauty of our older more traditiona l churches. There is an excellent book on this topic called “Ugl y As Sin” . As far as...
- teomatteo: “Whe n it is time to raise money, do the fundraiser s publish literature with whitewashe d walls, bizarre interiors, and spaces that remind you of a parking ramp? SURE they do!...
- Gabriel Syme: Nothing says “Catholic” like a beige wall with a clump of weeds in a vase and cliches like PEACE on a rainbow made by 5th graders. Indeed! In my locality, a common favourite is a...
- cpdog: Hollywood does this not only for churches but for Catholic religious garb as well. Nuns in movies (shock) are dressed like nuns! Why? Because that’ ;s what people expect nuns to look...
- Benedict Joseph: Yesterday Rorate Caeli posted an article which clearly articulate d “wha t sells̶ 1; without saying much at all. It is something to ponder — and even to weep over....
- OldProfK: Reading aloud is a great suggestion too. I read Black Beauty, Treasure Island, and The Hobbit to my sons as bedtime stories. Took a while. :-)
- Gabriel Syme: Several people make good comments. I think: – hold public masses, but do not distribute communion – use the time saved by no communion to have benedictio n after mass...
- Imrahil: Dear David, in this case the Cardinal was too pessimisti c. Being in the state of grace is no strange exception, but the normal state of affairs for a Catholic Christian outside problem...
- Mariana2: LOL. I trust that chagrin d’AL won’ t dure toute la vie.
- Absit invidia: The only real tangible paradigm shift is the explosion of traditiona l latin masses across the US. Meanwhile Francis 217; real tangible results are the shuttering and demolit...
- Kennedy: Back in the late 80’s or early 90’s , I attended a talk by Hans Kung. He introduced the theory of paradigms, which he said he had learned from Thomas Kuhn, claiming that it...
- JabbaPapa: For those with a good enough French, there̵ 7;s a good set of definition s of the word HERE : http://www .cnrtl.fr/ definition /paradigme (uncharact eristicall y, the OED definit...
- Mariana2: Thanks, Father!
- MacCheese: We are fortunate to have a very good Catholic k-8 school near to us. Our children go there and love it. It’s not perfect, e.g. much to our annoyance some of the texts are Common Core but...
- jilly4life: I am not a boy, and my own boys are too young for a lot of this. But for younger boys I would suggest My Side of the Mountain by Jean Craighead George, Maniac Magee by Jerry Spine...
- Suburbanbanshee: The SAT test of today is a lot easier than the old ones, although poorly asked questions do introduce a degree of difficulty . But any SAT should be easy it you read a lot, know...
- bookworm: The discussion of print vs electronic books is of particular interest to me. A couple of years ago my husband and I discovered self-publi shing and we started a mini business (Monroe St....
- TonyO: The whole idea of a mass with upwards of 40,000 (in some cases, upwards of 200,000) people is problemati c in the extreme. At a certain point the distance, and the intervenin g space /...
- majuscule: Why not stress a spiritual communion at the mega Masses? How many people even know what spiritual communion is? It would be a good educationa l opportunit y!
- tamranthor: My son was always drawn to the statues of the three children and the lambs that stand in the courtyard at the (now horrible) Church in Waunakee. He absolutely loved them when he was a...
- David L Alexander: “At one point you would think that someone, looking out at the much smaller than anticipate d crowd, would have said, ‘Gee . Maybe we should remove some of these...
- Akita: Thank you for these beautiful, multifacet ed, edifying little Lenten “gift packets”. Love the history. Loved learning about St Sebastian, St Monica. Makes it easy to envision their human...
- Kathleen10: Thank you so much to one and all for these great recommenda tions. I have jotted them all down. I work with children, and the other day we read together Old Mother Hubbard. None of the...
- Mary Jane: I wanted to give some words of encouragem ent for HeatherPA. :) I’m a homeschool graduate (I’m in my early 30s now). After graduating , I went on to earn a Bachelor of...
- Mary Jane: Uh yeah no. If the logistics of the location/s eating/etc are such that communion can’ t distribute d with reverence, I say no.
CLICK and say your daily offering!
- More news from the New catholic Red Guard
- Making the Church appealing. What “sells”?
- LENTCAzT 2018 08 – Wednesday in the 1st Week of Lent: Never ending combat
- 20 Feb – Feast of Sts Francisco and Jacinta of Fatima
- Of “paradigm shift” interest
- Spain: young people dancing a jota in reparation for blasphemy against the Blessed Virgin
- Mega-Masses and too many Hosts
- The State v. Self-Reliance
- LENTCAzT 2018 07 – Tuesday in the 1st Week of Lent: subtle temptation
- Attacks on the family
- My View For Awhile: Capital Edition
- Books for boys. Suggested titles and an additional point.
- LENTCAzT 2018 06 – Monday in the 1st Week of Lent: “I warned you!”
- Wherein Fr Longenecker schools @JamesMartinSJ
- Your Sunday Sermon Notes
- WDTPRS 1st Sunday of Lent (N.O.): The Lenten “Sacrament”
- LENTCAzT 2018 05 – 1st Sunday of Lent: Anger and Reason
- Commandments are NOT mere “ideals” from which some are excused because, “They’re tooo haaard!” Wherein Fr. Z rants.
- JUST TOO COOL – Cops, ashes, and podcasts
- VIDEO Fr. Murray and Prof. Royal on some tough issues
- LENTCAzT 2018 04 – Ash Saturday: Getting ready for… it.
- Pontifical Requiem Mass for a great lover of the Church’s sacred liturgy
- LENTCAzT 2018 03 – Ash Friday: Grant me a little more time
- Role of #MSM in mass shootings: If it bleeds, it leads. Angry @fatherz asks fearful questions
- Wherein Fr. Z rants in the wake of the Florida school mass murder
- Friday after Ash Wednesday: Feast of the Crown of Thorns
- LENTCAzT 2018 02 – Ash Thursday: What you are I was, what I am you shall be.
- Your #AshWednesday Sermon Notes #ashtag – AUDIO Fr Z
- Ash Wednesday, Fasting, Abstaining, and You – with notes on alligator, endothermic moonfish, and muskrat
- LENTCAzT 2018 01: Ash Wednesday – Unto dust thou shalt return.
Let us pray…
Grant unto thy Church, we beseech Thee, O merciful God, that She, being gathered together by the Holy Ghost, may be in no wise troubled by attack from her foes. O God, who by sin art offended and by penance pacified, mercifully regard the prayers of Thy people making supplication unto Thee,and turn away the scourges of Thine anger which we deserve for our sins. Almighty and Everlasting God, in whose Hand are the power and the government of every realm: look down upon and help the Christian people that the heathen nations who trust in the fierceness of their own might may be crushed by the power of thine Arm. Through our Lord Jesus Christ, Thy Son, who liveth and reigneth with Thee in the unity of the Holy Ghost, God, world without end. R. Amen.
New miscellaneous releases and events
Yes, Fr. Z is taking ads…
A great hymnal…
Because it matters what children read…
I carry one of these super-strong rosaries in my spare mag pouch! The Swiss Guards have them too!
Because you don’t know when you are going to need to move fast or get along without the supermarket…
PLEASE RESPOND. Pretty pleeeease?Loading ...
WDTPRS POLLLoading ...
Fr. Z’s stuff is everywhere
Help support Fr. Z’s Gospel of Life work at no cost to you. Do you need a Real Estate Agent? Calling these people is the FIRST thing you should do!
GREAT causes to support
Help Monks in Wyoming (coffee – UPDATED LINK) and Norcia (beer) and the wonderful "Soap Sisters" of Summit, NJ!
Please follow me on Twitter!
If you travel internationally, this is a super useful gizmo for your mobile internet data. I use one. If you get one through my link, I get data rewards.
A book by an old friend…
Daily Archives: 14 June 2012
When I heard that the bishops of the USCCB in their plenary session were talking about drafting a new document on the economy and related issues, I first reaction was “OH NO! Don’t they learn from history?”
I also read this … Continue reading
Our friends over at Rorate have posted a 1 June interview of SSPX Bp. Bernard Tissier de Mallerais. He may be a bishop, but he is not the Superior of the SSPX. Bp. Bernard Fellay is the Superior.
The Congregation of the … Continue reading
I once posted an entry about what people around the world have for breakfast. It’s a fascinating topic.
Here is something else that is breakfast related.
What do you do before breakfast?
I think this has to do with having a “rule of … Continue reading
To review: The Holy See gave the SSPX a “doctrinal preamble”. The SSPX studied it and proposed in return some modifications. The Holy See and Holy Father studied the modifications. Then the CDF and SSPX Bp. Fellay had a meeting, … Continue reading
The LCWR’s leadership will now debate whether or not they want the Church’s true Magisterium in their lives.
They are poised to become irrelevant. Then, irrelevant, the biological solution will have its way with them and all their institutes, which have no vocations.
There … Continue reading
I think this is a bad idea.
Vatican Radio: New Communications Strategies
Announcing Vatican Radio’s intention to reduce its Short and Medium Wave transmissions to most of Europe and the Americas, starting July 1st, the Director General, Fr Federico Lombardi, today … Continue reading