28 June Vigil of Peter and Paul: Firm upon the Rock of Apostolic Faith

During this Fortnight For Freedom we observe (not celebrate!) the Vigil of the Feast of Sts. Peter and Paul.

Vigils in the liturgical calendar are not just reminders that tomorrow is a feast.  They are also reminders to prepare for the feast!

In the Extraordinary Form here is the Collect:

Præsta, quaesumus, omnípotens Deus: ut nullis nos permíttas perturbatiónibus cóncuti; quos in apostólicæ confessiónis petra solidásti.

Which is:

Grant, we beseech You, almighty God, that we, whom You have made firm upon the rock of apostolic faith, may not be shaken by any distresses.

We stand upon the Rock who is Peter…. or… we… DON’T.

In the meantime, I love the Introit (John 21:18-19):

The Lord said to Peter, When you were young you girded yourself and walked where you would. But when you are old you will stretch forth your hands, and another will gird you, and lead you where you would not.Now this He said to signify by what manner of death he should glorify

Amen. And Amen.

Technorati Tags: , ,

This entry was posted in WDTPRS and tagged , , . Bookmark the permalink.

12 Responses to 28 June Vigil of Peter and Paul: Firm upon the Rock of Apostolic Faith

1. 1987 says:

I’m happy to live in a country with a meatless Fridays obligation. Hence the question: do I have to abstain from eating meat tomorrow, or the Apostles cancel the obligation?

2. acardnal says:

It is my understanding that acts of penance such as abstinence are not required on Solemnities that fall on a Friday because the Church desires that everyone celebrate the day.

3. Father K says:

Correct – Canon 1251 – ‘Abstinence from meat, or some other food as determined by the Episcopal Conference, is to be observed on all Fridays, unless a solemnity should fall on a Friday.’

4. acardnal says:

I learned something yesterday about the pallium. I noted that Archbishop Chaput of Philadelphia will receive one tomorrow from his Holiness even though he had received one previously as Archbishop of Denver. I thought erroneously that it was imposed one-time-only not per each archdiocese.

5. irishgirl says:

Is Archbishop-elect Aquila, Chaput’s successor, going to Rome to receive his pallium tomorrow?
    I’m asking this because he is the ‘Primate’ in Colorado, which is suffering terribly in the wildfires.
    Maybe he’ll hold off until next year, and stay put in Colorado for now….

6. acardnal says:

@irishgirl: I saw his name listed in yesterday’s news release from the Vatican Information Service that he will be in Rome. Of course, things can always change due to exigencies of life. There were two bishops listed that will receive their palliums elsewhere; Acqula was not one of them.

7. Father K says:

acardnal – indeed and when he dies he will be buried wearing both pallia.

8. JohnE says:

If I’m not mistaken, it is also possible to gain an indulgence tomorrow? I had this on my calendar:

See n.17:

“n.17—The faithful who use with devotion an object of piety (crucifix, cross, rosary, scapular or medal) properly blessed by any priest, can acquire a partial indulgence.

“But if this object of piety is blessed by the Supreme Pontiff or any bishop, the faithful who use it devoutly can also acquire a plenary indulgence on the feast of the holy Apostles Peter and Paul, provided they also make a profession of faith using any legitimate formula.”

9. irishgirl says:

@ acardnal: Thanks for the link from VIS regarding the list for tomorrow’s Mass. Good to know….
    I also placed a link from Spirit Daily just now on the news of Archbishop Sheen being named ‘Venerable’. Wonderful news (especially uplifting, and needed, in the wake of the crappy decision by SCOTUS on Obamacare)!

10. 1987 says:

Thanks, acardnal & Father K!