Exciting, I know.
The House Resolution conflates all Catholic sisters in the USA with the leadership of certain groups of sisters who belong to Network or the Leadership Conference of Women Religious (a subsidiary of the Magisterium of Nuns and made up only of the leaders of groups of religious, not all the sisters in the groups).
It is hard to imagine that anyone can be so thick after all the debate, but – hey! – this is Congress we are talking about!
You can read proposed House Resolution 689 HERE.
Ms. DELAURO [pro-abortion catholic Dem] (for herself, Ms. KAPTUR, Mr. HIGGINS, Mr. CARDOZA, Mrs. CAPPS, Ms. MCCOLLUM, Mr. RANGEL, Mr. RYAN of Ohio, Ms. LINDA T. SANCHEZ of California, Ms. ROYBAL-ALLARD, and Ms. ESHOO) submitted the following resolution; which was referred to the Committee on Oversight and Government Reform
“But Father! But Father!”, you may be trying to say. “House Resolutions are really really really important! Aren’t they? This is a huge deal!”
Indeed. What other causes are the objects of House Resolutions?
I looked around at some other House Resolutions and found these:
- 2009 House Bill 1243: To provide for the award of a gold medal on behalf of Congress to Arnold Palmer in recognition of his service to the Nation in promoting excellence and good sportsmanship in golf.
- 2009 House Resolution 210: Expressing the sense of the House of Representatives that providing breakfast in schools through the National School Breakfast Program has a positive impact on classroom performance.
- 2009 H.Res. 110 Congratulating the National Football League champion Pittsburgh Steelers for winning Super Bowl XLIII and becoming the most successful franchise in NFL history with their record 6th Super Bowl title
- 2009 H.RES.600 Whereas we today mourn with and send our condolences to the children that Michael Jackson left behind: Prince Michael, Paris Michael, and Prince Michael II and his mother, father, brothers, and sisters: Now, therefore, be it Resolved, That the House of Representatives– (1) recognizes Michael Jackson as a global humanitarian and a noted leader in the fight against worldwide hunger and medical crises; and (2) celebrates Michael Jackson as an accomplished contributor to the worlds of arts and entertainment, scientific advances in the treatment of HIV/AIDS, and global food security.
- 2009 H.RES.63 : Supporting the goals and ideals of the Knights of Pythias.
- 2011 H.RES.56 : Congratulating the Florida International University Golden Panthers for the school’s first Bowl victory.
- 2009 H.RES.68 : Supporting the goals and ideals of “Hockey is For Everyone Month”.
- 2011 H.CON.RES.41 : Expressing support for designation of the third Saturday in April as “National Auctioneers Day”.
- 2011 H.CON.RES.54 : Expressing the sense of the Congress that the Parthenon Marbles should be returned to Greece.
So, H. RES. 689 is right up there on the list of things to do.
I hope they have a vote on H.RES. 689 right away!
I am reminded of the scene in The West Wing when Leo and his lawyer are jousting about the importance of a resolution about Pres. Bartlett:
It’s a non-binding resolution. Do you know what that means?
No, could you tell me, ’cause I’ve really started to take an interest in government lately.
Do you know how much force and effect it has?
None. No force and effect. The following is a sampling of non-binding joint resolutions from the 106th Congress.
I have a meeting.
A resolution in support of Ohio’s state motto. A resolution fostering friendship and cooperation with the people of Mongolia.
I have a meeting.
A resolution recognizing the contributions of Bristol, Tennese, to the development of country music.
I’m sorry, I have a budget meeting.
A resolution in support of Little League baseball.
A resolution recogniz…
So, let’s have more resolutions!
Could we perhaps get Cong. Paul Ryan (R-WI) to introduce one praising the NUNS ON THE BUS?
WHEREAS … the Nuns On The Bus go ’round and ’round;
“WHEREAS… ” X; ?
Think about your contribution to the cause while sipping some Mystic Monk Iced Tea or Coffee!
Refresh your supply now!