INDULGENCE ALERT – Feast of the Sacred Heart

Today, the Feast of the Sacred Heart, the faithful can gain a plenary indulgence by the public recitation of Iesu dulcissime (Act of Reparation) (Ench. Indulg., al. conc., 3). All other recitations gain a partial indulgence.

Priests and Bishops! Have PUBLIC recitation!

Do not be afraid to bend yourself down before God especially and also to the angels and saints our intercessors and patrons and be simply pious. Man was made to be pious. This is the essence of religion, without which we are empty shells: to give due reverence to God. The sin of our first parents came from trying to be the opposite of pious: self-sufficient self-gods. That was defiance of due piety.

This entry was posted in "How To..." - Practical Notes, Just Too Cool, Liturgy Science Theatre 3000, Our Catholic Identity. Bookmark the permalink.

31 Responses to INDULGENCE ALERT – Feast of the Sacred Heart

1. dans0622 says:

To recite this “publicly” means what, exactly? Audibly with at least one other person?

2. gloriainexcelsis says:

We will have Adoration and Benediction tonight before Mass. (We do every Friday, actually). Recitation of the Act of Reparation will be made, of course. Father will probably have the congregation repeat it on Sunday for those who can’t make the Friday evening Mass, so the partial indulgence, at least, can be earned.

3. That’s also my question dans0622. Father Z or someone else who has good knowledge, would say a group of altar servers with their priest in the sacristy saying it aloud in a group would fulfill the “public” condition, or must it be read from a pulpit/Ambo in the body of the Church? It’s a little late to prepare for the latter, but I was thinking since I’m doing an EF for this feast day maybe to get the celebrant of deacon priest to read it amongst us out loud as well as us servers in a group after or before Mass.

Also can someone please give me the answer AS SOON AS POSSIBLE? I have to leave my house, and essentially all computers by the latest 4pm today to prep and make the Mass.

4. brotherfee says:

Regardless of what is considered to be a “public” recitation in order to gain a plenary indulgence, my big stumbling block would be the attachment to all sins, including venial. The attachment to venial sins just seems like it’s always there, almost impossible to get around. I can think about how nice it would be to lose the attachment to venial sins, but my actions and thoughts frequently fail me.

5. APX says:

So for those of us who live where the feast is transferred to the Sunday, does reciting it today still count for the plenary indulgence, or does reciting it on the Sunday even count for the indulgence?? *confuzzled*

6. JoyfulMom7 says:

Too late for me – Mass is over in my town. I wish I had known, but since I wasn’t feeling well this morning, might not have made it to Mass anyway. I should put it on my calendar for next year . . .

7. Supertradmum says:

Mass is over here as well, many hours ago. Does this mean it must be done out loud with other people? Could I pop into a Church this evening and say it out loud? I assume it means with other people

8. bourgja says:

9. Imrahil says:

Dear @brotherfee,

while I don’t know anything about you, attachment is really the fact of being attached to sin, not only “I could perhaps do more to overcome these sins I often fall back into”.

If you can think about how nice it would be to lose what you call attachment, it seems to me from afar that you are not attached.

10. Springkeeper says:

“We can drift into the same emptiness of life by neglect of piety and devotion, neglect of fostering the habits of devotion.” And how quickly that can happen! (at least to me)

I do lose attachment to all sins right after I have been to confession. Sadly, that does not last long, sometimes not even part of the way home (especially in bad traffic). Weak, weak, weak…

11. Centristian says:

bourgja:

“It seems unfair to restrict this plenary indulgence to a public recitation, since many of us live in areas where the parish does not offer public recitation. In such cases, I wish that a private recitation would be sufficient.”

I think you’re probably looking at matters too legalistically. I would have a hard time imagining a God who is sitting up in heaven, shaking his head, with his arms crossed going, “no, no, no, no…you didn’t do it publicly; forget it!”

I understand the concept of the keys of Peter and the Church’s ordinary pervue over dispensing the treasury of the riches of God’s grace, however…the Church is the minister of God’s grace, not the master of it. The ordinary means cannot always be availed of, such as in the situation that you describe. I have to think that God abundantly rewards Christians who do their best to heed his requests and who delight in honoring and worshiping Him. I cannot imagine that God would elect to be skimpy with his grace on account of a technicality that, in any event, you were powerless to overcome.

12. Supertradmum says:

As to the attachment to even venial sin, this state does not only apply to the granting of indulgences, but to the spiritual life. For those who had followed my long series on perfection, the ideas of many theologians and spiritual guides has been that the life of virtue, which we all are suppose to live in the fullest measure, that is, exhibiting all the virtues daily, really cannot flourish if we are sinning even those which are venial. We must become detached. All things are possible with God. Too bad the indulgence has been ignored in most places. I have never seen this indulgence offered anywhere I have been. I would hope this changes now that you, Father Z., has brought it to many priests and bishops’ attentions.

13. Texas trad says:

On the subject of indulgences, I found a wonderful webpage called “3000 Days of Indulgences.” It carries the prayer, the number of days indulgence, the Pope and the date of approval. I have made copies for friends and I am always told how much they use it and how beautiful the artwork is.

Attached here:

14. Dismas says:

Something that has helped me better understand the requirement for detachment to all sin including venial sin regarding the attainment of indulgences, is to reflect on and renew my baptismal vows; I reject Satan and all his works and all his empty promises. It never fails to increase my faith and hope that this act of the will to love God and despise sin along with fulfilling the other requirements is sufficient and that the indulgence has been gained.

15. Everything else is nice, but my questions still isn’t answered by someone with reliable knowledge, neither is the first poster dans0622. What qualifies as public recitiation? Please hurry, I leave my domicile for my Latin Mass in 2.5 hours away from the computer!

16. Dismas says:

@Young Canadian, I’m sure someone else would be pleased to help you both gain the indulgence and recite this with you after Mass if you were to kindly explain the indulgence and your dilemna.

17. Pingback: INDULGENCE ALERT – Feast of the Sacred Heart | Catholic Canada

18. APX says:

I went to my church during my lunch break only to find it locked up. I see little value in locking up a church, especially in a safe neighborhood, during the day.

19. Dismas, wait, does this mean that saying it with one other person qualifies?

20. APX, that’s horrible, but sadly many churches do it to keep out thieves. Those metal objects (sacred or not) could be pawned for some decent cash. I would hope that it is not because Fr. so and so and his 9-5 “church lady” staff couldn’t be bothered to have people come to pray.

21. acardnal says:

Even if one cannot satisfy the requirements for a Plenary Indulgence, holy Mother Church in her benevolence offers a Partial Indulgence for those who recite the prayer on their own. Something we should be grateful for.

22. Dismas says:

Young Canadian, I recall something about ” where two or three are gathered,” but what do I know? I encourage you to consult your parish priest to be sure.

23. asperges says:

Prayer recited in lieu of Leonine prayers after Dominican rite Mass this morning.

@Young Canadian: I cannot find anything clear online about ‘public’ in Canon Law, but ‘public’ is not ‘private’ and public recitation (one presumes) supposes that it is part of something open to anyone and not a small group. ‘In the sacristy’ doesn’t seem to be public by definition, but, as another example, the rosary is often led by a layman or woman in church and that would be considered ‘public.’

The simplest solution is to have your priest read it after Mass as we did this morning. Liturgy is by definition ‘public prayer.’ Problem solved? What a pity that something that should happen naturally becomes such a source of angst because nobody thinks to do it any more.

24. Elizabeth D says:

I emailed somebody who emailed the altar server who emailed the pastor who okayed publicly praying this act of reparation, and the altar server printed up copies of the wonderful prayer which we were then able to pray together at Holy Redeemer Church in Madison, WI, part of the Cathedral Parish.

25. APX says:

Weird. We did not recite it after Mass tonight. Perhaps we will after Mass on Sunday given the weird ways of The Canadian Conference of Bishops and their feast transferring.

26. acardnal says:

@Elizabeth D.: I went to the 12:10 PM Mass at St. Pats today but unfortunately the prayer was not said. In fact, the Mass Propers did not match my missal prayers for this Solemnity! And he did not say the Creed as he were supposed to do. In any event, I said the Act of Reparation afterwards by myself.
    Gotta pray for our priests.

27. Hello Everyone. Had to leave by 4 so I didn`t see the rest of your reponses. Here`s what I did. I told my celebrant priest for the Mass about it, and initially he said yes. Unfortunately, the clergy for the Mass had to leave immediately after clean up. However, I was able to gather a number of the servers, a fellow blogger who I`ve finally got to meet in person, and one of the choir members, and we recited at the foot of the altar of the Church the prayer in English. I hope that qualifies enough for a “public recitation“. I did my best with what I was given and I hope Christ saw that. I had also stopped by the local Cathedral a mere 10 min transit streetcar ride earlier for confession and prayed the triad of prayers for the Holy Father, plus communion in Mass. So I hope this was it.

28. Dismas says:

Truly humbling indeed. Your example shows promise of a very bright future for our Church. I’m reminded of the following, I hope you enjoy them:

29. q7swallows says:

Thanks to your post, Fr. Z, a friend on the East Coast (3,000 miles away), referenced it in a post to her local homeschooler’s group and another friend in that group who happened to be visiting (at the beach), told me to read it.

SO . . . a rather large group of happy but exhausted kids, friends, and I stood in a circle in a public street overlooking the ocean with the setting sun on our West Coast beach after our day there and I read the prayer aloud off my iPhone for them. We wanted to visit our parish church but our priest had been on retreat this week (read: church closed) and we were all in shorts and T-shirts so rather than give any scandal in a church, we did what we could with what we had.

We figured a public street counted as “public.” God knows the situation and we trust He will sort out the details. What matters is that He gets glorified in Time and that we’re trying to do our best to do that.

G.K. Chesterton said, “Something worth doing is worth doing badly.”

So thanks for posting the reminder!

30. acardnal says:

There was some discussion here about Plenary Indulgences. I believe that they are NOT easily obtained due to the stipulation that one must be “free of any attachment to sin”, even venial sin. The saints have addressed this and Saint Philip Neri comes to mind. He was giving a homily on indulgences and told the congregation (presumably he had received a special grace) that there were only two people there who would receive a plenary indulgence on that particular day!