Search Fr. Z’s Blog
SHOPPING ONLINE? Please, always come here first!Enter Amazon through my link, the image below (they took away our search box!), and I will get a small percentage of what you spend. (Pssst - Can't see it? Turn off your "ad-blocker" for this site!)
Here's a generic "catholic" search start point for Amazon:
And you do need a Kindle! - HERE
“This blog is like a fusion of the Baroque ‘salon’ with its well-tuned harpsichord around which polite society gathered for entertainment and edification and, on the other hand, a Wild West “saloon” with its out-of-tune piano and swinging doors, where everyone has a gun and something to say. Nevertheless, we try to point our discussions back to what it is to be Catholic in this increasingly difficult age, to love God, and how to get to heaven.” – Fr. Z
YOUR RECENT COMMENTS
- Semper Gumby: “The Reich began violating the deal almost as soon as the ink on the treaty was dry.” ; Socialists like to sign treaties with disappeari ng ink. Then, if they’ ;re...
- Fr. John Zuhlsdorf: I am confident that readers here will say a prayer to St. Michael for your protection from all spiritual and temporal harm! And tune in to MondayR 17;s podcast for sure!
- Semper Gumby: Excellent, Lentcazts. Thanks Fr. Z.
- catholic patrolman: Hey Father Z, As I informed you when we first met, you are an honorary member of our fair society and we are honored to be able to post your daily podcasts on our Facebook page...
- OldProfK: According to some reports I’ve read, people saw something. And said something. And the FBI apparently couldnR 17;t be bothered. Whatever they had that was better to do̷...
- Elizabeth D: I knew Jacek a bit and have been praying and am praying for him. I did not know Fr Kunz but his murder impacted everyone including me. Very fitting to remember him with a traditiona l...
- PTK_70: @pbnelson& #8230;.You call it “jab ber” , I call it “con sideration -worthy 221;. You like your question, I like mine. In fact, I reject your question and theref...
- acardnal: The MSM jumps to discussion s of gun control immediatel y because that’ ;s their agenda. But HOW did the shooter get into the school?? I have yet to hear anyone discuss this topic....
- Kathleen10: frjim, please see “Par is Isn’ t Paris Anymore 221; and tell us why any nation should want to look like Paris these days. Liberals are so fascist. Raymond Arroyo dares to...
- tho: There was an article that I just read, about a cop killer being escorted through the Cook County jail, where he was applauded by some of the inmates. We are being inundated by people who have...
- Kathleen10: Multi-face ted problems are not solved with single response solutions. These shootings did not happen in the 1950’ ;s. What was better then? Those of us here know. People outside...
- The Masked Chicken: The first thing I must say is that the families of the shooting victims in Florida have my sympathies . Thankfully , I have never been at the scene of a mass shooting, but they...
- LeeGilbert: Without discountin g anything you’ ve said about the MSM, Father, there are several other factors that deserve a very close look, chief among them the imaginativ e formation of...
- Imrahil: Dear TonyO, allow me to agree in principle but take what you say one step further: you say Even fasting in to lose weight for health (not for vanity) I say: Vanity is by definition an...
- Ellen: At the daycare where my grandchild ren were, you had to used a keypad to get in. There was a list of who could and couldnR 17;t pick up the children and you had to have a ID and sign if...
- HeatherPA: I agree completely regarding situationa l awareness and the time has long been past for people to be proactive instead of reactive. The media will not change. They would never take any...
- AA Cunningham: The DLEMM – Dominant Liberal Establishm ent Mass Media – is anything but mainstream . They are extremists not unlike Call To Action, the National Schismatic Repor...
- e.e.: I have wondered the same thing about the media, Father. So much sensationa lism that can encourage those most troubled souls to do something terrible. The most recent attack in Florida...
- pbnelson: PTK_70, thank you for your wonderful analogy of the uprooted tree. And I almost hate to mention it, but the “rul es” of my request forbade exactly what you did. Please pardon...
- NBW: With the shooting deaths in Florida and the shooting of a police commander in Chicago; the media is subtly sending a message that guns are dangerous and should be taken away from everyo...
- Joe in Canada: To our edible bestiary we could add seal, in Newfoundla nd and Norway.
- KT127: You are absolutely right. But the media will not change anytime soon. We need to secure our schools. We know they are a target and have been for the last twenty years. Enough is enough....
- Andreas: In this and earlier posts, Father Z. has stressed the need for situation awareness. Those of us in the military and especially aviation have learned that situation awareness is created and...
- Fr. John Zuhlsdorf: That’ ;s a start. Not only around our schools.
- Fr. John Zuhlsdorf: Thus, confirming the choice of your username here? Ridiculous rabbit hole CLOSED.
CLICK and say your daily offering!
- JUST TOO COOL – Cops, ashes, and podcasts
- VIDEO Fr. Murray and Prof. Royal on some tough issues
- LENTCAzT 2018 04 – Ash Saturday: Getting ready for… it.
- Pontifical Requiem Mass for a great lover of the Church’s sacred liturgy
- LENTCAzT 2018 03 – Ash Friday: Grant me a little more time
- Role of #MSM in mass shootings: If it bleeds, it leads. Angry @fatherz asks fearful questions
- Wherein Fr. Z rants in the wake of the Florida school mass murder
- Friday after Ash Wednesday: Feast of the Crown of Thorns
- LENTCAzT 2018 02 – Ash Thursday: What you are I was, what I am you shall be.
- Your #AshWednesday Sermon Notes #ashtag – AUDIO Fr Z
- Ash Wednesday, Fasting, Abstaining, and You – with notes on alligator, endothermic moonfish, and muskrat
- LENTCAzT 2018 01: Ash Wednesday – Unto dust thou shalt return.
- Fun with @OneMadMomBlog – BuzzFeed – Alt-Right and @SebGorka
- LENTCAzT 2018 00: Shrove Tuesday – Get out your armor, pilgrim’s shoes and cloaks
- Singing and confession – Just Too Cool!
- Writing to Fr. Z
- Excellent Letter for Lent from Archbp. Chaput of @ArchPhilly – Fr. Z rants, gives 3 points of advice about sin.
- ASK FATHER: Why can lay people read at Mass?
- ASK FATHER: When should babies be baptized?
- OLYMPICS 2018 12 Feb: CURLING!
- BOOKS RECEIVED: @DouthatNYT on state the Church under Francis (terrific) – John Rist in Reading Augustine series (a scream)
- Benedict XVI’s resignation 5 years on. Your thoughts.
- Carmelite Nuns seeking Priest Chaplain
- JUST TOO COOL! Wherein Fr. Z is AMAZED at … coincidences? I think not.
- Concerning lying by omission, the perils of words, and the advantages of silence
- WDTPRS – 6th Sunday of Ordinary Time: “kissing the porch”
- Wherein Fr. Hunwicke explained and explains today’s “Festum Ovorum”
- ASK FATHER: Could a diocesan priest choose to say only the TLM?
- Your parish priest and YOU.
- Quinquagesima Sunday – Prepare for the fight of your life!
Let us pray…
Grant unto thy Church, we beseech Thee, O merciful God, that She, being gathered together by the Holy Ghost, may be in no wise troubled by attack from her foes. O God, who by sin art offended and by penance pacified, mercifully regard the prayers of Thy people making supplication unto Thee,and turn away the scourges of Thine anger which we deserve for our sins. Almighty and Everlasting God, in whose Hand are the power and the government of every realm: look down upon and help the Christian people that the heathen nations who trust in the fierceness of their own might may be crushed by the power of thine Arm. Through our Lord Jesus Christ, Thy Son, who liveth and reigneth with Thee in the unity of the Holy Ghost, God, world without end. R. Amen.
New miscellaneous releases and events
Yes, Fr. Z is taking ads…
A great hymnal…
Because it matters what children read…
I carry one of these super-strong rosaries in my spare mag pouch! The Swiss Guards have them too!
Because you don’t know when you are going to need to move fast or get along without the supermarket…
PLEASE RESPOND. Pretty pleeeease?Loading ...
WDTPRS POLLLoading ...
Fr. Z’s stuff is everywhere
Help support Fr. Z’s Gospel of Life work at no cost to you. Do you need a Real Estate Agent? Calling these people is the FIRST thing you should do!
GREAT causes to support
Help Monks in Wyoming (coffee – UPDATED LINK) and Norcia (beer) and the wonderful "Soap Sisters" of Summit, NJ!
Please follow me on Twitter!
If you travel internationally, this is a super useful gizmo for your mobile internet data. I use one. If you get one through my link, I get data rewards.
A book by an old friend…
Monthly Archives: July 2012
I can hardly wait until the comments that will be added to photos of Pres. Obama receiving Olympic medalists at the White House.
Nooooo… somebody else won that for them.
WDTPRS kudos to the WINNERS. They won that.
I know you are all dying for an update on Olympic Team Handball, but before that, let’s return to the past.
Last night I saw a little bit of the Women’s (Girls?) Team Gymnastics competition. I couldn’t help but remember this. … Continue reading
Check out the USCCB’s “Faithful Citizenship Quiz” if you haven’t seen it already.
I rarely think “comedian” Jon Stewart is amusing. He has, as a matter of fact, contributed to the coarsening of our culture and he should be ashamed of himself. He is also deeply anti-Catholic, though he hides his bigotry behind … Continue reading
First, remember to use the entry…
YOUR URGENT PRAYER REQUESTS
We can help each other out spiritually in our needs and in the aid of others.
Now some recent posts as they scroll along.
Minnesota Supreme Court rejects ‘Repressed Memory’ junk-science used against priest
Just … Continue reading
From Media Report:
Minn. Supreme Court Rejects ‘Repressed Memory’ Junk Science Against Priest, Media Yawns
Last Wednesday, the Minnesota Supreme Court flatly rejected the psychological theory of “repressed memory” as bogus. The Court declared that scientific studies that have tried to prove … Continue reading
There are times when as I work or drive or walk I listen to the Office sung by Benedictine monks.
For those of you who would like to get to know more about Gregorian chant, or start a schola, I recommend … Continue reading
This is for your Just Too Cool file.
As you read this, keep in mind that The First Gay President has killed our manned space program, thus enervating our collective imaginations and making us dependent on those who don’t like us. … Continue reading
iPhone users: please educate me.
I have been told that if you have an iPhone running 5.0 or higher, you can text to any other iPhone, anywhere in the world, for free. Apparently, you must use the app iMessage.
Anyone? What’s up … Continue reading
Are you ready? Have you made any preparations for a power outage, short or long term?
People think disasters won’t happen to them… until they do.
Half of India without power after grids fail for second day
NEW DELHI – India’s energy … Continue reading
WDTPRS’s worthy opponent, the Most Rev. Donald W. Trautman, Bishop of Erie has now officially stepped aside as the shepherd of that portion of the People of God.
I extend to His Excellency Bishop Trautman prayerful best wishes for an ineffable … Continue reading
His Eminence Francis Card. George, Archbishop of Chicago, has published a piece on the archdiocesan website.
His Eminence gralloched Mayor Rahm Emanuel on the issue of “Chicago values”.
My emphases and comments:
Monday, July 30, 2012
Reflections on “Chicago values”
Recent comments by those who … Continue reading
From a reader:
What is the proper/traditional etiquette for newcomers, particularly those registered in a parish, when it comes to formal introductions to the priest, (specifically British customs if you know them)? I was taught it is rude and improper to … Continue reading
Are you a Catholic who voted for The First Gay President?
Democrats are set to include a pro-gay marriage plank in their convention platform for the first time in history, party sources confirm to POLITICO. The language was approved … Continue reading
There was some controversy (HERE) about the position of the USA’s Personal Ordinariate of the Chair of St. Peter for former Anglicans in communion with Rome concerning the Extraordinary Form of the Roman Rite. The head of the US Ordinariate, Msgr. Jeffrey … Continue reading
At the site of Catholic World Report there is and interview with author Roger Kimball about his new book, The Fortunes of Permanence: Culture and Anarchy in an Age of Amnesia (UK link HERE). Within the interview you will find this … Continue reading
From a reader:
First, thank you for your internet ministry and your tireless promotion of the liturgical use of Latin.
My parish is being renovated and Mass is temporarily being celebrated in a nearby university chapel. Since the chapel is non-denominational, it … Continue reading
From a reader:
Our new pastor recently published a letter in the bulletin [I’ve cut that out in order to “anonymize” this.] in which he uses the GIRM [General Instruction on the Roman Missal] to argue that those who genuflect before … Continue reading
Do you have some good news to share with the readers?
Talk radio guy and “friend and ally of Rome” Hugh Hewitt has a piece in The Examiner.
Here in the heart of America’s wine industry, the Napa Institute brings together a few hundred Catholics in the company of many of the … Continue reading