Search Fr. Z’s Blog
SHOPPING ONLINE? Please, always come here first!
Enter Amazon through my link. Use the search bar below. Fr Z will get a small percentage of what you spend.
Here's Fr. Z's "catholic" search for Amazon: US HERE - UK HERE And you do need a Kindle! - HERE
“This blog is like a fusion of the Baroque ‘salon’ with its well-tuned harpsichord around which polite society gathered for entertainment and edification and, on the other hand, a Wild West “saloon” with its out-of-tune piano and swinging doors, where everyone has a gun and something to say. Nevertheless, we try to point our discussions back to what it is to be Catholic in this increasingly difficult age, to love God, and how to get to heaven.” – Fr. Z
Coat of Arms by D Burkart
YOUR RECENT COMMENTS
- Gab: When a Pope canonizes someone to sainthood, say like a few Popes who have done away with Catholic Tradition etc, does God always accept that the person is a saint regardless ? Or is Matthew...
- Lurker 59: In looking over documents, it is the general consensus of theologian s over hundreds of years that canonizati ons are infallible . That said, I think it can be argued that they would not...
- hilltop: Holy Priests in locations / situations where there are too few priests have maximum opportunit y to exercise the privileges of Summorum Pontificum ! Use them. Be examples to your brother...
- adriennep: I was a heathen living the single “good life” in San Francisco but somehow that twinkle of his eye got my attention. That and he being this rare Polish countryman . Somehow he spoke to...
- MrsMacD: Is it possible, since canonizati ons used to require a devil̵ 7;s advocate and three(?) clear miracles during the time canonizati ons were considered infallible , that they’ ;ve...
- MrsMacD: The Roses being crushed makes a nice parallel with the beautiful innocence they love crushing, in their sacred abortion right. The noise, Ears closed, Heart heardened, No room for gentle...
- Augustine Thompson O.P.: Sigh. Well, this is not the first time a pope has canonized whose pontificat e was less than helpful for the Universal Church. St. Celestine V. Disaster as a pope and not...
- TonyO: Can critics of the critics point to a dogmatic definition of the infallibil ity of canonizati ons? No. There is no such dogmatic definition . However, dogmatic definition s are not the only...
- Anita Moore, O.P.(lay): Can critics of the critics point to a dogmatic definition of the infallibil ity of canonizati ons? Opinions of theologian s, however exalted, do not count. Even Aquinas...
- Man-o-words: Rails, not fails. I really hate phone keyboards. . .
- teachermom24: I have no memory of his election (“Ca tholicR 21; was not even on my radar at the time), but I do have distinct memory of his death as it came the year after my entry into...
- Man-o-words: I think, percusio, that the m.o. here is the long list of other “con fusing revelation s” associated with the pope who fails against clericalis m and then cannonizes clergy...
- TitanTom: You lost me attacking “hom ilies delivered by a fat, middle class half educated minister.& #8221; I think the Church would be well served with middle class young men, after discer...
- Percusio: Seems to me that if a person is to doubt the validity or actuality of the canonizati on of a saint they had better have more than the evidence, but a rational and accepted modus operan...
- Benedict Joseph: I was just twenty-sev en. My first thought was “…thank God. But don’t tell that to anyone.” I just knew he was going to get things back on track. Well, he didn’t, but he kept us...
- michael de cupertino: For those who may be interested or are looking for more traditiona l Catholic content, Fr. Erlenbush posts reflection s and some essays newtheolog icalmoveme nt.blogspo t.com,...
- Livewire: Someone who knows who partook in a gay, cocaine fueled orgie in the CDF apartment and didn’ ;t excommunic ate that priest and someone who stands in front of that Christmas Creche and...
- tho: I don’ t mean to downplay the loss of life, but Vatican II and it’s spirit, was like an atomic bomb dropped on the sensibilit ies of way too many Catholics, both lay and cleric...
- mrjaype: Anita, I always thought that canonizati ons are infallible . Is there still room for uncertaint y about the eternal state of these souls?
- dinsdale: My memory of this event pales in comparison to this account from a student in Krakow: “I was walking down a street in Krakow on my way home, when suddenly all around me windows and...
- Kathleen10: The men who run the church will continue on their path until they run the entire church into the ground. Nothing known to man is going to cause them to pause and reflect, and certai...
- The Cobbler: ^ What chantgirl said!
- Unwilling: Back in the ’70s , drowning hard-ident ity Catholics like us said about Paul vi things very like what we now [despairin gly] say or think about Francis. I recall the chaos and...
- MrsMacD: I have one son that is colour blind and three that are borderline colourblin d. I suppose this would be a good argument for memorizing those parts of the Mass.
- Anita Moore, O.P.(lay): I must admit to being among the ranks of people who have a problem with this canonizati on. Maybe this incident will prompt, in some not-too-di stant-yet future pontifi...
CLICK and say your daily offerings!
- Some good news from Montana, a laugh, and some reactions to Paul VI canonization
- 16 October 1978: Election of John Paul II – 40 YEARS!
- Archbp. Chaput interviewed by The Pill – #sodoclericalism
- Fr. Longenecker: “ALL ARE WELCOME…TO WHAT EXACTLY?”
- #Synod2018 concerns in a couple of sharp sentences. Then Fr. Z rants.
- 15 Oct: St. Teresa, calendars and fascinating fountains! (A note to NAC seminarians and Rome denizens.)
- ASK FATHER: Celebrating Conciliar Saint Popes in the Traditional Roman Rite
- The future of the Church (hint – NOT #Synod2018)
- How the Left rolls
- #Synod2018 underway but there are no rules. Making it up as they go?
- ASK FATHER: Coalition in Support of “Ecclessia Dei” – What’s up?
- Your Sunday Sermon Notes
- Dodging Global Extinction Events
- VIDEO: Pro-abortion propaganda v. Catholics in NYC
- JUST TOO COOL: The ‘tricolours’ ensign of Le Généreux, captured by Nelson on display
- ASK FATHER: Pastor won’t allow TLM wedding in “his church”
- WDTPRS – 28th Ordinary Sunday: Fascinating Collect, seminar on grace!
- The unhinged Left now turns to satanism, witchcraft to fight Pres. Trump, Justice Kavanaugh
- SSPX Superior Fr. Pagliarani interview: “we have to have souls ready for all sorts of sacrifices”
- What to do with former-Card. McCarrick’s galero in the @WashArchdiocese Cathedral
- Something fun for Friday
- ASK FATHER: ” I feel that my Faith is just being torn apart”
- URGENT PRAYER REQUEST: Australia and removal of all abortion restrictions
- Francis accepted Card. Wuerl’s two year old resignation, wrote him a Letter
- ASK FATHER: Official Latin of Fatima Rosary Prayer
- NOTE TO READERS about email and contact
- Anniversary of John XXIII’s 1962 “Gaudet Mater Ecclesia” and how it has been misused #Synod2018 #VaticanII #podcast
- ASK FATHER: Is “Amoris laetitia” really translated “The Exuberance of Lust”?
- Certain sins bring infestation of demons: horrid #sodoclericalism “parties” close to the most important places in the Vatican
- VARIA: Concrete parish project of reparation (PDF); Fighting back in Chicago; Disasters, death and YOU!; a little Latin (AUDIO); some super Catholic trivia.
Let us pray…
Grant unto thy Church, we beseech Thee, O merciful God, that She, being gathered together by the Holy Ghost, may be in no wise troubled by attack from her foes. O God, who by sin art offended and by penance pacified, mercifully regard the prayers of Thy people making supplication unto Thee,and turn away the scourges of Thine anger which we deserve for our sins. Almighty and Everlasting God, in whose Hand are the power and the government of every realm: look down upon and help the Christian people that the heathen nations who trust in the fierceness of their own might may be crushed by the power of thine Arm. Through our Lord Jesus Christ, Thy Son, who liveth and reigneth with Thee in the unity of the Holy Ghost, God, world without end. R. Amen.
This blog has to earn its keep!
New miscellaneous releases and events
Yes, Fr. Z is taking ads…
A great hymnal…
Because it matters what children read…
I carry one of these super-strong rosaries in my spare mag pouch! The Swiss Guards have them too!
My "challenge coin" for my 25th anniversary of ordination in 2016.
Want one? I do exchanges with military and LEOs, etc. and you can make a donation.
Because you don’t know when you are going to need to move fast or get along without the supermarket…
PLEASE RESPOND. Pretty pleeeease?Loading ...
WDTPRS POLLLoading ...
Fr. Z’s stuff is everywhere
Help support Fr. Z’s Gospel of Life work at no cost to you. Do you need a Real Estate Agent? Calling these people is the FIRST thing you should do!
GREAT causes to support
Help Monks in Wyoming (coffee – UPDATED LINK) and Norcia (beer) and the wonderful "Soap Sisters" of Summit, NJ!
Please follow me on Twitter!
If you travel internationally, this is a super useful gizmo for your mobile internet data. I use one. If you get one through my link, I get data rewards.
Daily Archives: 5 July 2012
From the estimable Laudator:
By Yuan Mei (1716–1797), tr. J.D.Schmidt:
I am satisfied so long as I keep my books closed,
But I start to worry, when I open their covers.
The books are long, but the day is short;
I feel like an ant … Continue reading
UPDATE 5 July:
It’s not too late. We will close registration on 12 July.
We have worked out the pricing. I’ll send emails to those of you who wrote to me. If you don’t hear anything, contact me again.
I have had some … Continue reading
I noticed this in the newsletter of the USCCB’s Committee for Divine Worship:
Liturgy of the Hours
Among the many liturgical books affected by the implementation of the Roman Missal, Third Edition, none has generated more questions or interest than the Liturgy … Continue reading
We can do many things. We will be able to do even more.
But we must start asking in earnest: Ought we do may of the things we can?
From the Daily Telegraph:
Women could delay the menopause indefinitely with ovary transplant: doctors
Women could remain … Continue reading
A reader alerted me to this video, which is way too cool. Time-lapse video taken from the International Space Station when on the night-side of our little blue marble.
From Bill Bennett’s American Patriot’s Almanac we have this entry for today, 5 July:
“The things of the spirit come first”
On July 5, 1926, in a speech in Philadelphia commemorating the 150th anniversary of the Declaration of Independence, President Calvin Coolidge reminded … Continue reading
As the posts scroll along…
First, thank to all of you who helped me get over the 10k follower mark on Twitter!
Also, for PRIESTS: NOTE TO PRIESTS – (with update)
Archbishop Chaput’s sermon for the closing of the Fortnight for Freedom
Request for help … Continue reading
On 4 July, Most Rev. Charles Chaput delivered the sermon for a Mass to close the Fortnight For Freedom.
I have received several requests for a succinct summary of what has transpired between the Holy See and the Leadership Conference of Women Religious (LCWR – a subsidiary of the Magisterium of Nuns).
It would be good to have such a … Continue reading
Have you thought today yet about the fact that you are going to die?
Here, let me help.
I was recently told about a maker of caskets in the USA: Marian Caskets.
They are inspired by Pope John Paul II’s casket.
One day delivery … Continue reading
Wow… this is my objective right now.