Search Fr. Z’s Blog
SHOPPING ONLINE? Please, always come here first!
Enter Amazon through my link. Use the search bar below. Fr Z will get a small percentage of what you spend.
Here's Fr. Z's "catholic" search for Amazon: US HERE - UK HERE And you do need a Kindle! - HERE
“This blog is like a fusion of the Baroque ‘salon’ with its well-tuned harpsichord around which polite society gathered for entertainment and edification and, on the other hand, a Wild West “saloon” with its out-of-tune piano and swinging doors, where everyone has a gun and something to say. Nevertheless, we try to point our discussions back to what it is to be Catholic in this increasingly difficult age, to love God, and how to get to heaven.” – Fr. Z
Coat of Arms by D Burkart
YOUR RECENT COMMENTS
- Ed S: The mass was anounced as Gaudete Sunday. Our pastor was in pink vestments. The third candle lit on the Advent wreath was also pink. There was never any doubt what this Sunday was today....
- Dismas: Rose, at a diocesan parish. Slowly, it has been making inroads. Also, I should note that cheap, tacky polyesters have slowly diminished since the halcyon 70’s and 80’s . Perhaps...
- Dismas: I remember the days of Blue Advent, but then the 1980’ ;s drrw to a close. To be honest, the last few times that I have seen blue used liturgical ly was during Marian solemnitie s.
- Anita Moore, O.P.(lay): No rose vestments. But there were liturgical “dancers” bringing up the candles for the Advent wreath. (I knew they were coming and just declined to look, so as to avoid...
- Greg Hlatky: Rose, FSSP. I’ll flip Fr. Z’s question around. I will say that the priests in my parish do not make bad points. No politics, no effort to be “amu sing” ;. Mass...
- Greg Hlatky: Oh dear. That this was Gaudete Sunday and its meaning was the subject of FatherR 17;s excellent homily this morning. But he’s FSSP, just a reactionar y backwoodsm an.
- JSzczuka: They were white at my Diocesan EF mass (and at the others) because today is our titular feast – St. Adelaide!
- CasaSanBruno: I purchased a rose 5 piece Roman set posted on Ebay. Alas, it’s quality was pretty forgettabl e. Since it cost me more to ship it back to the country of origin than the purch...
- Bthompson: Rose (my favorite, handmade made by my mom). My core idea was that we are awaiting a savior, not a mere or generic moral/reli gious teacher.
- HvonBlumenthal: Pink, SSPX
- Semper Gumby: Thank you Fr. Z.
- Gab: I’m going to miss these AventCazts .
- Gab: First time I heard of these people was when they were going to place a hex on President Trump to prevent him from being elected. The next time I heard about them , thanks to the media fierc...
- Felipe: It always saddened me, and still does, when the priest and the deceased person never knew each other. I think this whole situation with the suicide would be entirely different if there were...
- ChiaraDiAssisi: @ APX, I think you have some very good points. It is extremely sad and strange to hear such a lack of discretion and just plain unnecesess ary display you and others experience d in...
- excalibur: Wiccans/wi tches have been casting spells against President Trump. We need Catholic priests to counter this, by offering Masses for President Trump and his family, by going to the public...
- jaykay: Link to Paul Badde̵ 7;s book on the Holy Veil of Manopello. It’s a very good read, quirky but with great details about its physical compositio n. Hopefully I’ve posted the...
- Anita Moore, O.P.(lay): There is a pervasive attitude that persons who take their own lives are now “free” and “no longer suffering. ” I remember seeing a lot of this at the time Robin Willi...
- e.e.: I’m fairly local to this story̷ 0; On top of whatever the priest did or didn’ ;t say in his homily, there was also drama at the funeral over the young man’ s former...
- Fr. John Zuhlsdorf: HINT TO ALL: If you decide to go over the edge and to tell people that they are possessed (in so many words) in this combox, I will probably delete your comments. Sapienti pauca.
- DMorgan: Thank you Father.
- APX: But the families of suicides need compassion , not fire and brimstone. Indeed. Yes, objectivel y speaking, committing suicide is a grave sin, but that doesn’t automatica lly mean it’s a mortal...
- Atra Dicenda, Rubra Agenda: If the priest who says my funeral doesn̵ 7;t mention how grevious of a sinner I was or mention purgatory or my need for prayers and Masses offered for me or the 4...
- thomas tucker: Sorry, the days of pray, pay and obey are over. Priests don’t get to do whatever they want with regard to the laity any more. [Not a terribly thought-fi lled contributi on to this...
- Sword40: My wife and I have had several long discussion s with our 7 grown children. We are elderly so we decided to plan our funerals so that there are NO arguments after we pass. All the kids,...
CLICK and say your daily offerings!
- POLL: Gaudete Rose Vestments and Your Sunday Sermon Notes
- ASK FATHER: Pastor says “Gaudete Sunday, is no more”
- ADVENTCAzT 2018 15: Joyful Longing, Longing Joy
- UPDATE: Sending snail-mail 2018 Christmas cards
- Priest preaches at funeral, world falls on his head
- My View For Awhile: Limping Homeward
- Newly born religious groups, strangled in their cradles
- ADVENTCAzT 2018 14: LIBERALS!
- WDTPRS – Gaudete Sunday: “good news” of the chaff’s destiny in “unquenchable fire”
- Fast growth in Paganism, Wicca (the joke that is no joke)
- VIDEO: The new church of Gower Abbey (and the Extraordinary Ordinary)
- ADVENTCAzT 2018 13: The Dirty Bucket
- Priests and bishops who are probably going to Hell
- End of year 2018 charitable giving and YOU. A suggestion.
- ADVENTCAzT 2018 12: Patience
- Holy Face of Manoppello, Sankt Gallen, “designer babies”
- Card. Müller’s interview about Church and theology in Germany
- ADVENTCAzT 2018 11: Hark! a gladsome voice is thrilling
- TERRIFIC! School Choir accomplished, back to back, Solemn Roman and Eastern liturgy!
- NYC Day 1: Of Borscht and Buttons
- “If only women were in leadership positions…”
- Anglicans to mock baptism with transgender ceremony
- ADVENTCAzT 2018 10: If a liturgy looks silly, you can close your eyes. But if it sounds silly…
- A priest’s thought after going ‘ad orientem’
- Priests and Latin. Wherein Fr. Z rants.
- My View For Awhile: ”Festina Lente” Edition
- ADVENTCAzT 2018 09: Proper Marian Devotion
- Your Sunday Sermon Notes
- Of getting Latin wrong, corrections, and of priests and their Latin or lack thereof
- ADVENTCAzT 2018 08: Egocentrics and God’s gifts
Let us pray…
Grant unto thy Church, we beseech Thee, O merciful God, that She, being gathered together by the Holy Ghost, may be in no wise troubled by attack from her foes. O God, who by sin art offended and by penance pacified, mercifully regard the prayers of Thy people making supplication unto Thee,and turn away the scourges of Thine anger which we deserve for our sins. Almighty and Everlasting God, in whose Hand are the power and the government of every realm: look down upon and help the Christian people that the heathen nations who trust in the fierceness of their own might may be crushed by the power of thine Arm. Through our Lord Jesus Christ, Thy Son, who liveth and reigneth with Thee in the unity of the Holy Ghost, God, world without end. R. Amen.
This blog has to earn its keep!
New miscellaneous releases and events
Yes, Fr. Z is taking ads…
A great hymnal…
Because it matters what children read…
I carry one of these super-strong rosaries in my spare mag pouch! The Swiss Guards have them too!
My "challenge coin" for my 25th anniversary of ordination in 2016.
Want one? I do exchanges with military and LEOs, etc. and you can make a donation.
Because you don’t know when you are going to need to move fast or get along without the supermarket…
PLEASE RESPOND. Pretty pleeeease?Loading ...
WDTPRS POLLLoading ...
Fr. Z’s stuff is everywhere
Help support Fr. Z’s Gospel of Life work at no cost to you. Do you need a Real Estate Agent? Calling these people is the FIRST thing you should do!
GREAT causes to support
Help Monks in Wyoming (coffee – UPDATED LINK) and Norcia (beer) and the wonderful "Soap Sisters" of Summit, NJ!
Please follow me on Twitter!
If you travel internationally, this is a super useful gizmo for your mobile internet data. I use one. If you get one through my link, I get data rewards.
Daily Archives: 16 July 2012
Prayer to Saint Joseph for a Difficult Problem
O Glorious St. Joseph, thou who hast power to render possible even things which are considered impossible, come to our aid in our present trouble and distress.
Take this important and difficult affair under … Continue reading
Other than the fact that I get a commission every time you buy Mystic Monk Coffee using my links… and please, I ask you to do so, because it really helps… this video will also show you why I like … Continue reading
SSPX Bp. Fellay speaks about their General Chapter, the new CDF Prefect, unity with Rome (unresolved)
At the site of the SSPX DICI, there is an interview with the SSPX Superior Bp. Bernard Fellay about the recently concluded General Chapter (which is a gathering in which the participants discuss policies, internal matters, etc.).
Read it all, but … Continue reading
I don’t want to upset any of you with this, but I am going to inflict a word on you poor ignorant readers which many consider to be tooo haaard for Mary and Joe Catholic.
Yes, I mean the dread
Some of you … Continue reading
Those of you who may be new readers may not know about the mug I made with a phrase of Bl. John Henry Newman: “To be deep in history is to cease to be a Protestant.”
Thinking back on the course of … Continue reading
A reader sent me this amusing graphic. I was reminded of two things. First, years ago in Rome there was a common wall-scrawl from the spray-painting vandals: CLORO AL CLERO. I was also reminded of the facetious post I made … Continue reading
At APotD I saw this interesting news: Pluto has a fifth moon!
A fifth moon has been discovered orbiting Pluto. The moon was discovered earlier this month in images taken by the Hubble Space Telescope in preparation for the New Horizons … Continue reading
What is you good news?
Do you have some good thing you can share with the readers?
It is encouraging to hear about the good things happening to people who participate here.
For my part, apart from all the other pressing things, yesterday … Continue reading
From a reader:
Regarding the Sabbatine Privilege, it is my understanding that person may meet the requirements by reciting the Little Office of the Blessed Virgin Mary or, if given permission by their priest, saying the Rosary.
My question is may a … Continue reading