Search Fr. Z’s Blog
SHOPPING ONLINE? Please, always come here first!Enter Amazon through my link, the image below (they took away our search box!), and I will get a small percentage of what you spend. (Pssst - Can't see it? Turn off your "ad-blocker" for this site!)
Here's a generic "catholic" search start point for Amazon:
And you do need a Kindle! - HERE
“This blog is like a fusion of the Baroque ‘salon’ with its well-tuned harpsichord around which polite society gathered for entertainment and edification and, on the other hand, a Wild West “saloon” with its out-of-tune piano and swinging doors, where everyone has a gun and something to say. Nevertheless, we try to point our discussions back to what it is to be Catholic in this increasingly difficult age, to love God, and how to get to heaven.” – Fr. Z
YOUR RECENT COMMENTS
- HeatherPA: @acardnal Home Econ has been cut from our local high school and Industrial Arts is only offered in 9th grade for one 9 week quarter. These cuts were excused due to required testing from...
- padredana: ThePapalCo unt, there is a reason that priests are so hesitant about deacons. My experience of permanent deacons is that they are often well intentione d men who receive very little...
- Fr. Gabriel, OP: It is my contention that the rubric permiting the Deacon to lay aside the Dalmatic is a specific instance of the OF trying to accommodat e multiple traditions (albeit in a ham-fi...
- SenexCalvus: Father Z, have you gathered your WDTPRS commentari es into a single resource that the laity can use throughout the liturgical year? If so, where is it? Do you write new commentari es...
- Atra Dicenda, Rubra Agenda: Father, various commenters have expressed Rite specific norms. What is normative, by Rite, for the Deacon?
- Ave Crux: Its rather astounding . That’ ;s not a simple dance by any means and they’ ;re all in perfect unison. I found it amazing. If the Faith could but harness the fervor and enthusi...
- Blackfriar: I like to see dalmatics worn, and would encourage them in the ordinary form. However, readers should be aware that in the extraordin ary form of the Dominican Rite – and perhaps...
- Quanah: “Glo ria has to do with man’s recognitio n of God as God. Gloria is a characteri stic of God which He will share with us so as to transform us throughout eternity.& #8221; What a...
- Suburbanbanshee: (I think the reason you always see Victorian people exercising in white clothes is that you could bleach white clothes more easily. Of course, maybe they wore other colors when...
- Suburbanbanshee: First off, nobody should be doing anything in the sanctuary that involves exercises. Obviously. Second, all that hatha yoga stuff is actually something that late 19th and early...
- mcferran: A response based upon liturgical law might be more helpful. The GIRM states (338 Canada): “The vestment proper to the Deacon is the dalmatic, worn over the alb and stole; howev...
- tho: In my lifetime, the Host, and any altar cloth, or for that matter anything material or human that touched the Host, without consecrate d hands, had to be scrubbed by a priest, who was the only...
- robtbrown: In the above comment “def initive 221; is a Latin adverb meaning definitive ly.
- robtbrown: Addendum: Acc. to Cardinal Ratzinger& #8217;s explanatio n, the Infallibil ity of Ordinatio Sacerdotal is lies in its status within the Ordinary Universal Magisteriu m. As I noted above,...
- Fr_Sotelo: Just when I think I’ve read it all, seen it all. Telling the deacon not to wear the dalmatic? I think the deacons look great in the dalmatic!
- ThePapalCount: It seems that many priests are apprehensi ve about having deacons around. I know of a priest who refused to allow a deacon to preach for over a year, despite the fact that the deacon...
- AndyMo: “In the Third Millennium , the argument from authority is no longer sufficient . There are too many educated Catholics. ” First of all, chronologi cal snobbery is hardly more...
- frjim4321: Very clever idea. The public school where we have our religious ed classes has something a little simpler on the door jambs; a metal plate; I not sure how it works. I would also like to...
- TonyO: Pretty nice invention. Good job, Justin. Of course, it does have limitation s. First, it depends on making base plates that match with the specific door jamb and wall location, so it cannot...
- clarinetist04: There certainly are politics at play, no doubt, but to cast Msgr. Rossi as not allowing the EF in “his ShrineR 21; is unfair at best. They have the EF mass every week, the...
- Grateful to be Catholic: These poor deluded women are the victims of clericalis m. They think it’s about power and so do the men who enable them. As someone else says, sad.
- clare joseph: Thank you, Emilio III, for clarifying all this so well. It’s a joy to see so many young people dancing so beautifull y in honor of Our Lady.
- HvonBlumenthal: Nobody reads Revelation these days but it is clear that in the Heavenly liturgy depicted there the 24 Elders do not just kneel in the presence of the Lamb, they prostrate themsel...
- HvonBlumenthal: Your four categories cover it brilliantl y. Even Anglicans receive their « host » « meekly kneeling on their knees » according to the Book of Commin Prayer. And though they genera...
- APX: acardinal, I can’ t speak for the US, but at my former high school (and other high schools I’m told from my mom when she goes in to sub teach at them) it has become a joke. Home...
CLICK and say your daily offerings!
- LENTCAzT 2018 12 – 2nd Sunday of Lent: Saved in hope
- ASK FATHER: Priest forbids a deacon to wear a dalmatic
- LENTCAzT 2018 11 – Ember Saturday in the 1st Week of Lent: Man’s first full day was a day of rest
- WDTPRS – 2nd Sunday of Lent (NO): Having a really good look
- Wisconsin High School student invents classroom door stop
- LENTCAzT 2018 10 – Ember Friday in the 1st Week of Lent: You cannot save yourself for the world
- Card. Sarah: return to Communion directly on the tongue while kneeling
- JUST TOO COOL: Recently received missal stand and statue of Our Lady
- Wherein Rutler thrashes @AntonioSpadaro
- BRAZIL: Did these bishops allow women to concelebrate Mass?
- Promoted by @JamesMartinSJ – Jesuits have yoga in church sanctuary at a school
- LENTCAzT 2018 09 – Thursday in the 1st Week of Lent: The inexhaustible virtue of the Word
- Fr. Murray on “lived experience”, “accompaniment”, “conscience”
- More news from the New catholic Red Guard
- Making the Church appealing. What “sells”?
- LENTCAzT 2018 08 – Wednesday in the 1st Week of Lent: Never ending combat
- 20 Feb – Feast of Sts Francisco and Jacinta of Fatima
- Of “paradigm shift” interest
- Spain: young people dancing a jota in reparation for blasphemy against the Blessed Virgin
- Mega-Masses and too many Hosts
- The State v. Self-Reliance
- LENTCAzT 2018 07 – Tuesday in the 1st Week of Lent: subtle temptation
- Attacks on the family
- My View For Awhile: Capital Edition
- Books for boys. Suggested titles and an additional point.
- LENTCAzT 2018 06 – Monday in the 1st Week of Lent: “I warned you!”
- Wherein Fr Longenecker schools @JamesMartinSJ
- Your Sunday Sermon Notes
- WDTPRS 1st Sunday of Lent (N.O.): The Lenten “Sacrament”
- LENTCAzT 2018 05 – 1st Sunday of Lent: Anger and Reason
Let us pray…
Grant unto thy Church, we beseech Thee, O merciful God, that She, being gathered together by the Holy Ghost, may be in no wise troubled by attack from her foes. O God, who by sin art offended and by penance pacified, mercifully regard the prayers of Thy people making supplication unto Thee,and turn away the scourges of Thine anger which we deserve for our sins. Almighty and Everlasting God, in whose Hand are the power and the government of every realm: look down upon and help the Christian people that the heathen nations who trust in the fierceness of their own might may be crushed by the power of thine Arm. Through our Lord Jesus Christ, Thy Son, who liveth and reigneth with Thee in the unity of the Holy Ghost, God, world without end. R. Amen.
New miscellaneous releases and events
Yes, Fr. Z is taking ads…
A great hymnal…
Because it matters what children read…
I carry one of these super-strong rosaries in my spare mag pouch! The Swiss Guards have them too!
Because you don’t know when you are going to need to move fast or get along without the supermarket…
PLEASE RESPOND. Pretty pleeeease?Loading ...
WDTPRS POLLLoading ...
Fr. Z’s stuff is everywhere
Help support Fr. Z’s Gospel of Life work at no cost to you. Do you need a Real Estate Agent? Calling these people is the FIRST thing you should do!
GREAT causes to support
Help Monks in Wyoming (coffee – UPDATED LINK) and Norcia (beer) and the wonderful "Soap Sisters" of Summit, NJ!
Please follow me on Twitter!
If you travel internationally, this is a super useful gizmo for your mobile internet data. I use one. If you get one through my link, I get data rewards.
A book by an old friend…
READER DONATIONS FROM…
- - FEBRUARY - AKP (monthly), NF (monthly), JB (monthly), AS (monthly), PC (monthly), LL (monthly), MG (monthly), AR (monthly), A LLC (monthly), TS (monthly), MMcG (monthly), CRN (monthly), AK (monthly), LM (monthly), TB (Amazon Kindle Wish List), MJC (monthly), LC (monthly), JJ (monthly), TT (monthly), KZ, MR, MR, JW (monthly), BMcC! (monthly), TR (monthly), BB (monthly), MD (monthly), MMcH (monthly), MW (monthly), EDJr (monthly), PE (monthly), AD ($1/day), TS (monthly), RL (monthly), KT (monthly), TeachNarnia.com (monthly), AP (monthly), JC (monthly), CHEJr! (monthly), AM (monthly), RetroToyCo (monthly), SS (monthly), MD ($1/day), AP (monthly), RL (monthly), AR (monthly), CF (monthly), RK (monthly), TY (monthly), J-AF (monthly), MG (monthly), Fr MF (monthly), JH (monthly), SK (monthly), LS (monthly), AP (monthly), CO'C (monthly), ML ($1/day), NS (monthly), KC (monthly), SH (monthly), NA (monthly), JR (monthly), MK (monthly), MF (monthly), PS (monthly), ST (monthly), FF (monthly), FW (monthly), TB (monthly), JL!!, EL!!, DJ (monthly), JB (monthly), FV (monthly), JL (monthly), RMcE (monthly), DE (monthly), JO!!!!!, CB (monthly), PL (monthly), BS (monthly), MS ($1/day), TB (monthly), SB (monthly), BK (monthly), WH (monthly), PMcD (monthly), RW (monthly), St Augustine Academy Press ($1/day), JM (monthly), JC (monthly), CB (monthly), VR (monthly), BB (monthly), MW (monthly), BC (monthly), MK (monthly), FZ (monthly - NEW), TP (monthly), JE (monthly), DJ (monthly), WB (monthly), PO (monthly), GG!! (monthly), ML (monthly), CK (monthly), SZ (monthly), St. Emiliani's Home for Girls Raised by Wolves (monthly), KB (monthly), JP (monthly), JB (monthly), SH (monthly), BC (monthly), SC (monthly), LS (monthly), LM (monthly), SJ (monthly), SS (monthly), CS (monthly), CDeK (monthly), MM (monthly), JWM (monthly), DC ($1/day), TB (monthly), MS (monthly), DRFB (monthly), LJS (monthly), CK (monthly), MH (monthly), PMcG (monthly), RJ (monthly), LL (monthly), DC (monthly), MH, JS (monthly), CR (monthly), KE (monthly), MH )$1/day), CJ (monthly), GZ, KH (monthly), AN (monthly), SJS (monthly), DG (monthly), DG, RM, RW (monthly), JP (monthly), MR (monthly), SMcK-D (monthly), AW, CJG (monthly), GBJD (monthly), MG (monthly), JO (monthly), EP (monthly), JL (monthly), MR (monthly), TS (monthly), RR (monthly), LA (monthly), DG (monthly), MH (monthly), LC (monthly), DW (monthly), MD (monthly), SH (monthly), FF (monthly), eCharlie (monthly), AA (monthly), SAM (monthly), JY (monthly), RT (monthly), Fr RH (monthly), TB, JN (monthly), KD (monthly), MZ (monthly), MS (monthly), ST (monthly), WH (monthly), NK (monthly), MS (monthly), VK (monthly), SG (monthly), VP (monthly), MC (monthly), ALG (monthly), JJ (monthly), RB (monthly), JS (monthly), DL (monthly), JPMcG (monthly), JB (monthly), FAPL (monthly), AC (monthly), RB (monthly), Marian Sisters of Santa Rosa (monthly), TH (monthly), DG, DF, MB (monthly), LS (monthly), JM (monthly), DB (monthly), JK (monthly), DB (monthly), JK (monthly), TO'D (monthly), SM-S (monthly), GS (monthly), AS (monthly), LO'B (monthly), RM (monthly), AT (monthly), EY (monthly), KL!!, AMR (monthly - NEW), DK (monthly), JS (monthly), MR (monthly), RF (monthly), RH (monthly)
To set up a recurring, monthly donation via PAYPAL (even a small one) go to the bottom of this blog and look for the drop down menu! Do you want yet another alternative to PayPal? I have set up an account with CONTINUE TO GIVE Get a link to donate via CONTINUE TO GIVE using your smart phone.
They take a larger percent taste, but they are an alternative.
Send snail mail to:
Fr. John Zuhlsdorf
733 Struck St.
PO BOX 44603 Madison, WI 53744-4603
I remember benefactors in my prayers and periodically say Mass for your intention.
Be a “Zed-Head”!
Fathers, you don’t know who might show up! It could be a “big fish” of one sort or other…
And... GO TO CONFESSION!
“And how we burned in the camps later, thinking: What would things have been like if every Security operative, when he went out at night to make an arrest, had been uncertain whether he would return alive and had to say good-bye to his family? Or if, during periods of mass arrests, as for example in Leningrad, when they arrested a quarter of the entire city, people had not simply sat there in their lairs, paling with terror at every bang of the downstairs door and at every step on the staircase, but had understood they had nothing left to lose and had boldly set up in the downstairs hall an ambush of half a dozen people with axes, hammers, pokers, or whatever else was at hand?... The Organs would very quickly have suffered a shortage of officers and transport and, notwithstanding all of Stalin's thirst, the cursed machine would have ground to a halt! If...if...We didn't love freedom enough. And even more – we had no awareness of the real situation.... We purely and simply deserved everything that happened afterward.”
- Aleksandr Solzhenitsyn
Support Military Chaplains!
Visits tracked by Statcounter since Sat., 25 Nov. 2006:
What people say about Fr. Z
"The great Father Zed, Archiblogopoios" - Fr. John Hunwicke
"Some 2 bit novus ordo cleric" - Anonymous
"Rev. John Zuhlsdorf, a traditionalist blogger who has never shied from picking fights with priests, bishops or cardinals when liturgical abuses are concerned." - Kractivism
"Father John Zuhlsdorf is a crank" "Father Zuhlsdorf drives me crazy" "the hate-filled Father John Zuhlsford" [sic]
"Father John Zuhlsdorf, the right wing priest who has a penchant for referring to NCR as the 'fishwrap'" - Michael Sean Winters
"Fr Z is a true phenomenon of the information age: a power blogger and a priest." - Anna Arco
“Given that Rorate Coeli and Shea are mad at Fr. Z, I think it proves Fr. Z knows what he is doing and he is right.” - Comment
"Let me be clear. Fr. Z is a shock jock, mostly. His readership is vast and touchy. They like to be provoked and react with speed and fury." - Sam Rocha
"Father Z’s Blog is a bright star on a cloudy night." - Comment
"A cross between Kung Fu Panda and Wolverine." - Anonymous
Fr. Z is officially a hybrid of Gandalf and Obi-Wan XD - Comment
Rev. John Zuhlsdorf, a scrappy blogger popular with the Catholic right. - America Magazine
RC integralist who prays like an evangelical fundamentalist. -Austen Ivereigh on Twitter
[T]he even more mainline Catholic Fr. Z. blog. -Deus Ex Machina
“For me the saddest thing about Father Z’s blog is how cruel it is.... It’s astonishing to me that a priest could traffic in such cruelty and hatred.” - Jesuit homosexualist James Martin to BuzzFeed
Fr. Z's is one of the more cheerful blogs out there and he is careful about keeping the crazies out of his commboxes - Paul in comment at 1 Peter 5
I am a Roman Catholic, in no small part, because of your blog.
I am a TLM-going Catholic, in no small part, because of your blog.
And I am in a state of grace today, in no small part, because of your blog.
- Tom in comment
Our Lady of the Clergy, Pray for us!