Search Fr. Z’s Blog
SHOPPING ONLINE? Please, always come here first!
Enter Amazon through my link. Use the search bar below. Fr Z will get a small percentage of what you spend.
Here's Fr. Z's "catholic" search for Amazon: US HERE - UK HERE And you do need a Kindle! - HERE
“This blog is like a fusion of the Baroque ‘salon’ with its well-tuned harpsichord around which polite society gathered for entertainment and edification and, on the other hand, a Wild West “saloon” with its out-of-tune piano and swinging doors, where everyone has a gun and something to say. Nevertheless, we try to point our discussions back to what it is to be Catholic in this increasingly difficult age, to love God, and how to get to heaven.” – Fr. Z
YOUR RECENT COMMENTS
- Semper Gumby: Fr. Z: Amen. robtbrown and TonyO: Good point. If I could suggest a BOB item for firewood and shelter-bu ilding: an axe, but if awkward to carry, a hatchet. Carrie: In the 5th century...
- maternalView: I normally sit up front for Mass and usually close my eyes to pray after Communion so I’m less distracted by the large number of people passing by as it’s a large church...
- David L Alexander: The form of emergency preparedne ss known as “bug ging out” associated with so-called “pre ppers̶ 1; requires an investment of time, talent, and treasu...
- JabbaPapa: He received the so-called “Last Rites” in unimprovab ly canonical manner That is to say : after his Confession . Go to Confession !!
- JabbaPapa: This blog post provides some simply fascinatin g insight into the origins of Monseigneu r Lefèbvre 8217;s slide from sheer, understand able utter frustratio n into his personal Act of...
- JabbaPapa: The very *last* time that I took the Communion in the hand (though in purely technical theology it can never be defined as an abuse as such), is the only time in my life that our Lord...
- Elizzabeth: When my son was 2, we often went to weekday Mass in an old peopleR 17;s home run by the Little Sisters of the Poor. After Mass my little lad liked to help clear away the number cards...
- TonyO: It would take an army of eucharisti c supervisor s to prevent people from returning to the pews without first consuming the host. My parish does use 2 ushers as Eucharisti c watchers to help...
- David L Alexander: If the good Father will indulge me, I neglected to mention that the Federation of North American Explorers is affiliated with the Internatio nal Union of Guides and Scouts of...
- Ages: No more statements or appeals. It is past time for the bishops to do their jobs and command priests to distribute the Eucharist on the tongue only, and depose those priests who will not. And...
- APX: In the event one finds Our Lord where He ought not to be and there is no available priest to remedy the situation, how should a layperson proceed?
- robtbrown: Fr. Reader, In so far as you easily trot out accusation s of sin and disobedien ce, do you think that Paul VI committed sin and was disobedien t with his de facto suppressio n of the...
- Joy65: Even though I have always taken part in OF Masses and have never even been to or taken part in a EF Mass I would truly be very happy to see Communion rails being used in the OF Mass. If I...
- robtbrown: Carrie says: I personally would rather die than kill someone to protect myself. But that’s me. That might be so, but the prospect of imminent of death can change people (“...
- _Dan_: I visited a parish where parishione rs stood with hands folded on either side of the priest a bit off to the side to watch those receiving communion. I assume they were there to ensure each...
- cwillia1: Communion in the hand leads to sacrilege in the typical parish setting. And how, practicall y, can this be avoided? It would take an army of eucharisti c supervisor s to prevent people...
- Semper Gumby: Great response by Stephen Herreid, someone ought to buy him a steak dinner.
- Fr. Reader: @irishroma ncatholic. Great comment about the great Von Hildebrand , and the wrong approach of poor Lefebvre.
- Fr. Reader: @fmsb78 God can manage to bring good things out of sins. That does not mean that we should glorify the sins, or canonize sinners. A sin is a terrible thing, even if it produced all the...
- Fr. Reader: Fr, you are a magician. You managed to divert the attention from Correa to St Monica. From Wikipedia: Corrêa de Oliveira 8217;s opposition to the direction of the Council continu...
- Clinton R.: The words of Cardinal Sarah come to mind (from the preface of ‘The distributi on of Communion on the hand: a historical , juridical and pastoral survey’ by Don Federico Bortoli) : “The...
- fmsb78: Many people empathize with good Archbishop Lefebvre up until the consecrati ons but I personally think that without that event, there would be no FSSP, neither ICRSS and the rest of the...
- KateD: That is beautiful! Thank you for posting it, Father.
- TonyO: I personally would rather die than kill someone to protect myself. But that’s me. Hey, it’s not about you surviving, it’s about protecting those who are your charge to prote...
- Ann Malley: @jflare29 “If Lefebvre did not wish to lead rebellion, he still became a lightning rod, a rallying point for a traditiona list faction. 8221; That’ ;s not his fault. That...
CLICK and say your daily offerings!
- BACK IN PRINT! The Heresy of Formlessness
- My View For Awhile: Creston Edition
- “I used to think hosts found on floors was Traditional Catholic hyperbole…”
- Monday after Pentecost: Memorial of the Blessed Virgin Mary, Mother of the Church – TEXTS
- Bp. Schneider’s terrific talk in Rome – ACTION ITEM!
- ASK FATHER: As a lay woman, should I have a “Mass kit” in my “Bug Out Bag”?
- @JamesMartinSJ can also amuse
- I have bad news and good news: Scouts and Troops
- Darío Card. Castrillón Hoyos, former Pres. of the Pont. Comm. “Ecclesia Dei” – RIP
- Bp. Schneider on the Met “Gay-la”
- BOOKS RECEIVED: Peter Kreeft and 2018 Ignatius Pew Missal
- VIDEOS: Lessons in how properly to fold a cassock
- VIDEO: Military pilgrimage to Lourdes
- Fascinating and sad: transcript of 1976 meeting of Paul VI and SSPX Archbp. Lefebvre
- A light TEOTWAWKI moment
- @ArchbishpSample to make liturgical changes in the @archpdx
- “The Council that might have been…” but wasn’t.
- INTERNET PRAYER UPDATE: MALAYALAM
- Justice Thomas delievers commencement address
- ASK FATHER: Timing of announcements during Holy Mass
- ASK FATHER: Religious Ed teacher controls First Communion
- My View For Awhile: Domum
- Your Sunday Sermon Notes
- Sad: “Cranmer tables” in the Pantheon and many great Roman churches
- ¡Hagan lío! Wherein Fr. Z is pretty angry and wants to fight back
- ASK FATHER: Stuck at work for all Sunday obligation Masses
- Some Views From The Journey: Rome again – UPDATED
- Beans, the Lord’s Ascension and You
- The more I more read about the “Make the Church a Joke Again” Gay-la, the creepier it gets.
- The Cardinal, the Model, the Miter and the Gay-la. The lesson?
Let us pray…
Grant unto thy Church, we beseech Thee, O merciful God, that She, being gathered together by the Holy Ghost, may be in no wise troubled by attack from her foes. O God, who by sin art offended and by penance pacified, mercifully regard the prayers of Thy people making supplication unto Thee,and turn away the scourges of Thine anger which we deserve for our sins. Almighty and Everlasting God, in whose Hand are the power and the government of every realm: look down upon and help the Christian people that the heathen nations who trust in the fierceness of their own might may be crushed by the power of thine Arm. Through our Lord Jesus Christ, Thy Son, who liveth and reigneth with Thee in the unity of the Holy Ghost, God, world without end. R. Amen.
My "challenge coin" for my 25th anniversary of ordination in 2016.
Want one? I do exchanges with military and LEOs, etc. and you can make a donation.
Coat of Arms by D Burkart
I travel a good deal. As I get older, it takes more of a toll. My main airline - sigh - is Delta. Were I to get some Gift Cards for Delta, I could more easily upgrade for longer flights. I'm just sayin'. I'd be much obliged. HERE
New miscellaneous releases and events
Yes, Fr. Z is taking ads…
A great hymnal…
Because it matters what children read…
I carry one of these super-strong rosaries in my spare mag pouch! The Swiss Guards have them too!
Because you don’t know when you are going to need to move fast or get along without the supermarket…
PLEASE RESPOND. Pretty pleeeease?Loading ...
WDTPRS POLLLoading ...
Fr. Z’s stuff is everywhere
Help support Fr. Z’s Gospel of Life work at no cost to you. Do you need a Real Estate Agent? Calling these people is the FIRST thing you should do!
GREAT causes to support
Help Monks in Wyoming (coffee – UPDATED LINK) and Norcia (beer) and the wonderful "Soap Sisters" of Summit, NJ!
Please follow me on Twitter!
If you travel internationally, this is a super useful gizmo for your mobile internet data. I use one. If you get one through my link, I get data rewards.
A book by an old friend…
Daily Archives: 3 August 2012
On my break from my sorting and throwing, I set my DVR to the Olympics (so that I could skip the, tarnation, commercials). I cooked and ate and watched a movie.
For supper, I had mussels, steamed in white wine and … Continue reading
For both your Just Too Cool file and your Brick by Brick file, this comes from the full, online digital edition of the UK’s best Catholic weekly, the Catholic Herald.
For Catholic Herald Digital:
£40 for an annual subscription. (I am working … Continue reading
“There is only one problem in the whole world: restoring spiritual sense in people. Showering on them something like a Gregorian chant.” – Saint-Exupéry
Simple? Too simple? Perhaps. Faith is the last thing that sinners lose, after charity, … Continue reading
From a reader:
Can the Churching ritual be performed directly after the baptism, or should it be done on a different day? I ask this for clarity, as this will be the priest’s first time performing a baptism in the EF … Continue reading
From the Washington Times (the sane paper of the Capitol city):
Chick-fil-A still ruffling [Chicago alderman] Proco Joe Moreno’s feathers
By Peter V. Bella [retired Chicago Police Officer, freelance journalist and photojournalist, cook, and raconteur. WDTPRS likes retired cops… a lot.]
CHICAGO August … Continue reading
I am settling in to review email, start an article for the paper, and, of course, probably just as you are, watch Team Handball (M – GER v IND, Match 33 in Pool B). I know you want your update.
But … Continue reading
With the older, traditional Roman calendar we can today celebrate the Finding or “Inventio” of the Relics of St. Stephen, Protomartyr and deacon.
There are very few saints who receive two feast on the calendar of the Roman Church. Among them … Continue reading
Don’t forget. Today is a First Friday.