Search Fr. Z’s Blog
SHOPPING ONLINE? Please, always come here first!
Enter Amazon through my link. Use the search bar below. Fr Z will get a small percentage of what you spend.
Here's Fr. Z's "catholic" search for Amazon: US HERE - UK HERE And you do need a Kindle! - HERE
“This blog is like a fusion of the Baroque ‘salon’ with its well-tuned harpsichord around which polite society gathered for entertainment and edification and, on the other hand, a Wild West “saloon” with its out-of-tune piano and swinging doors, where everyone has a gun and something to say. Nevertheless, we try to point our discussions back to what it is to be Catholic in this increasingly difficult age, to love God, and how to get to heaven.” – Fr. Z
Coat of Arms by D Burkart
Send Snail Mail to Fr. Z
YOUR RECENT COMMENTS
- Liz: There are rumors going around that Cardinal Pell has been hospitaliz ed with the flu. I don’ t know if it’s true or not, but increasing prayers cannot hurt. He is an older man,...
- AutoLos: Still trying to make arrangemen ts on whose feet to wash >_>
- Clinton R.: Thank you Father, for the great care you have for the eternal fate you have for our souls. I did go to Confession this evening as I kept contemplat ing your words: GO TO CONFESSION ! I...
- Nan: My sisterR 17;s first job was as a courtesy clerk at Red Owl.
- TonyO: If Father has narcolepsy or apnea, that would be something he needs to get treated. I thought of that, and wondered: is there any real danger of it becoming so bad that the consecrati on is...
- TonyO: What the link to the USCCB shows is that the 1987 Secretaria t for the Liturgy was in defiance of the Roman rule regarding men in the ceremony. That the Roman rule was later changed DOES NOT...
- JGavin: I believe you mean dozes. Doses would be plural of dose. As to dozing off during a homily, I have been sleep deprived for a fair portion of my adult life, given my profession . I have been...
- cathgrl: Why that appeared twice, I have no idea. Sorry.
- Dismas: @veritas vincit – Oh, I’m aware of the intended reason Cdl. George thought that. I also agree on your assessment . That said, it could still happen, and the irony would be...
- veritas vincit: pbnelson: That’ ;s not Knights of Columbus regalia, at least not from any point in at least the last 20 years, in any case. I would love to know what organizati on does wear...
- veritas vincit: Dismas: “I wonder if Cdl. George’s statement ever made his successor flinch. 221; I don’ t know for sure. But I can’ t see the current Cardinal in Chicago going...
- Dismas: I wonder if Cdl. GeorgeR 17;s statement ever made his successor flinch.
- Jerome Charles: http://www .usccb.org /prayer-an d-worship/ liturgical -year/trid uum/holy-t hursday-ma ndatum.cfm Imrahil, It doesn̵ 7;t address unbaptized persons, or say that one needs be...
- Ipsitilla: “Dru mming up false charges of sexual abuse is so much easier these days than dragging a large Cardinal’s body through the halls of the Vatican on the way to the Tiber.R 21;...
- Imrahil: in that *manner*. Could autocorrec t please just vanish into nothing? Sorry.
- Imrahil: Dear Jerome Charles, it‘s just the thing that washing the feet of an unbaptized person is incompatib le with an important and integral part of the Mandatum‘s significan ce. Whosoever comes...
- Jerome Charles: Several websites noted that Pope Francis will indeed celebrate the Holy Thursday liturgy, and the location will be announced later̵ 1;as has been done other years (for securi...
- jhayes: Francis usually celebrates the Mass of the Lord’ ;s Supper (and its foot washing ceremony) at some location outside of the Vatican. Last year, it was at the Regina Ceoli Prison. I...
- grateful: lacuna /la·cu·na/ (lah-ku´na h) pl. lacu´nae [L.] 1. a small pit or hollow cavity. 2. a defect or gap, as in the field of vision (scotoma). lacu´nar
- Chaswjd: While I can appreciate the Pope’sdesi re to celebrate the Eucharist with prisoners and others on the margin of society, I question whether Holy Thursday is the proper time to do it. He is...
- FrAnt: Cardinal Pell shows future Cardinals given the charge of straighten ing out the Vatican finances the degree to which hatters of the Church will go when you expose the annual waste of $52,0...
- Jerome Charles: Perhaps he’s meditating ? I am known to close my eyes during the homily and reflect on the readings or meditate on God’ s holy presence. He could also be sleeping, of...
- Aquinas Gal: It does seem like an odd omission. Maybe he will actually offer that Mass even if whoever prepared the schedule messed up. I can’ t help but wonder if he will be at the jail...
CLICK and say your daily offerings!
- George Weigel on “Two Georges” and future persecution
- Francis’ Triduum Schedule: strange lacuna
- Bp. Schneider: On the question of a heretical pope
- ASK FATHER: Father doses off during Mass
- LENTCAzT 2019 15 – Wednesday in the 2nd Week: Card. Burke
- Officially BADASS CATHOLIC PHOTO
- Germany: More dissent from nuns
- “Te, Ioseph celebrent”, a hymn in honor of the Terror of Demons
- CRISIS: Keen analysis of the implosion of the German Church
- LENTCAzT 2019 14 – Tuesday in the 2nd Week: Glorious St. Joseph!
- Lighter fare
- Wherein Fr. Z rants about Hell and sin and Enemy of the soul
- LENTCAzT 2019 13 – Monday in the 2nd Week: Kneeling at Mass, its actual liturgical function
- “You just want the 1950’s back!”
- ASK FATHER: How can eating desserts during Lent be fasting? Would Jesus eat desserts?
- News from the great Benedictines at Norcia: building, dogs, liturgy, beer
- ASK FATHER: A question about a marriage situation (not mine)
- How to spot a good preacher
- Your Sunday Sermon Notes
- CNA Exposé: Archbp. Francis Chullikatt, Holy See’s former Observer at the UN
- St. Patrick’s Breastplate: Armor for our time
- LENTCAzT 2019 – 12 – 2nd Sunday of Lent: God is more lenient than you
- WDTPRS – 2nd Sunday of Lent (NO): a more perfect “view”
- When We are elected Pope…
- LENTCAzT 2019 – 11 – Saturday in the 1st Week of Lent: The imperial epiphany and the tabernacle
- AUDIO: Damian Thompson on boring bishops – @HolySmoke
- 15 March – A ramble about the #IdesOfMarch
- Dems push to save cats after abandoning babies to death
- A “binding” German synod… What could possibly go wrong?
- LENTCAzT 2019 – 10 Friday in the 1st Week of Lent: The involuntary, personal response to a gracious epiphany
Let us pray…
Grant unto thy Church, we beseech Thee, O merciful God, that She, being gathered together by the Holy Ghost, may be in no wise troubled by attack from her foes. O God, who by sin art offended and by penance pacified, mercifully regard the prayers of Thy people making supplication unto Thee,and turn away the scourges of Thine anger which we deserve for our sins. Almighty and Everlasting God, in whose Hand are the power and the government of every realm: look down upon and help the Christian people that the heathen nations who trust in the fierceness of their own might may be crushed by the power of thine Arm. Through our Lord Jesus Christ, Thy Son, who liveth and reigneth with Thee in the unity of the Holy Ghost, God, world without end. R. Amen.
This blog has to earn its keep!
PLEASE subscribe if it is useful.
That way I have steady income I can plan on, and you wind up regularly on my list of benefactors for whom I pray and for whom I periodically say Holy Mass.
For a one time donation...
I set up a
CONTINUE TO GIVE
account, which functions rather like PayPal. Some of you use it. Here is a QCode you can use with your smart phones. Try it!
Also, to receive a link to donate via Continue To Give using your smart phone SEND MESSAGE:
4827563 TO: 715-803-4772 (USA)
Some donations also come through CHASE. That works well. I don't think they take any percentage as fees.
New miscellaneous releases and events
Do you want to show some appreciation?
Yes, Fr. Z is taking ads…
A great hymnal…
Because it matters what children read…
I carry one of these super-strong rosaries in my spare mag pouch! The Swiss Guards have them too!
My "challenge coin" for my 25th anniversary of ordination in 2016.
Want one? I do exchanges with military and LEOs, etc. and you can make a donation.
Because you don’t know when you are going to need to move fast or get along without the supermarket…
PLEASE RESPOND. Pretty pleeeease?Loading ...
WDTPRS POLLLoading ...
Fr. Z’s stuff is everywhere
Help support Fr. Z’s Gospel of Life work at no cost to you. Do you need a Real Estate Agent? Calling these people is the FIRST thing you should do!
GREAT causes to support
Help Monks in Wyoming (coffee – UPDATED LINK) and Norcia (beer) and the wonderful "Soap Sisters" of Summit, NJ!
Please follow me on Twitter!
If you travel internationally, this is a super useful gizmo for your mobile internet data. I use one. If you get one through my link, I get data rewards.
Monthly Archives: September 2012
A quick view from today in Rome. I met one of my best friends today after Mass at SS. Trinita dei Pellegrini (btw… my Mass was offered today, again, for benefactors… you know who you are), and had a chance … Continue reading
Do you have some good news? I am sure the readers would be happy to hear about positive things happening out there in the world.
Was there are good point from the sermon you heard while fulfilling your Sunday obligation? Share it here and help out those who did not hear a good sermon.
From a readerette: I am absolutely mortified right now! My fussy two year old wiggled out of my arms during daily low Mass today (READ: Lots of grey hair) and ran up into the sanctuary to the Altar during the … Continue reading
October is a month when we have a lot of pro-life activities and focus. I bring to your attention that the movie October Baby is available on DVD and Blu-Ray now. US DVD HERE BLURAY HERE UK DVD HERE BLURAY HERE
Here is a follow up to my post about His Excellency Most Reverend Thomas Patrocki of Springfield in Illinois (the state in which then-State Senator Obama promoted infanticide) and his comments about thinking over your vote this coming November. You might … Continue reading
From the most aggressively pro-abortion president there has ever been… from the man who even backed infanticide in Illinois…
The other day I picked up at Ancora bookstore near St. Peter’s Basilica a copy of Serafino M. Lanzetta’s book Iuxta Modum: il Vaticano II riletto alla luce della tradizione della Chiesa. The author proposes a re-reading of the … Continue reading
Translators “often” accidently leave things out. This time the lacuna concerns the SSPX and the Novus Ordo.
Translation can be hard. Even when it isn’t, translators are sometimes rushed or tired. However, it is good to pay attention to get all the words, especially those pesky little words that can change completely the sense of a sentence. … Continue reading
There is a new and very bright comet out there. Which of course means that it is the end of the world as we know it… maybe. Maybe not. In any event, it should be bright! And we might need … Continue reading
The writing is a bit scrambled, but have a look at this story of a fellow who gave up a promising career in baseball (the sport God loves best) for a vocation with the Norbertines in Orange, California: SILVERADO, Calif. … Continue reading
AP’s cheap shot coverage of the Pope’s Butler’s unbelievably unimportant Vatican Trial of the Century!!!
The Trial. Nay rather… the Trial of the Century! The earthquake provoking butler-who-done-it in the Vatican! The trial of the Holy Father’s document-leaking former-valet (keep repeating: the Butler, in the Office, with a Copying Machine), is comparable to what the … Continue reading
My fellow Minnesotans will have the opportunity on election day this November to vote in favor of an amendment to the Minnesota state constitution which would define marriage as being between one man and one woman. Minnesota is ground-zero for … Continue reading
From my email: The Religious Liberty battle is NOT over.