Search Fr. Z’s Blog
SHOPPING ONLINE? Please, always come here first!
Enter Amazon through my link. Use the search bar below. Fr Z will get a small percentage of what you spend.
Here's Fr. Z's "catholic" search for Amazon: US HERE - UK HERE And you do need a Kindle! - HERE
“This blog is like a fusion of the Baroque ‘salon’ with its well-tuned harpsichord around which polite society gathered for entertainment and edification and, on the other hand, a Wild West “saloon” with its out-of-tune piano and swinging doors, where everyone has a gun and something to say. Nevertheless, we try to point our discussions back to what it is to be Catholic in this increasingly difficult age, to love God, and how to get to heaven.” – Fr. Z
YOUR RECENT COMMENTS
- andia: Would you recommend one make an appointmen t if its been a Long time since one went to confession ? Say years or even decades? Or if one is unsure how anymore? [That could be a good idea. Of...
- JSzczuka: The thing that bothered me (most) about this article/au thor was the short paragraph neat the end of it that reads: “Jua n Carlos Cruz is gay, that’ ;s how God made him, and...
- jhayes: According to Crux, the comments were about certain, but not all persons with homosexual tendencies . The distinctio n is consistent with existing policy statements . ROME- According to...
- robtbrown: Antonin says, His mandate was to clean up the Curia, address financial issues, and enact certain ecclesiast ical reforms called for since VII (increase role of Bishop conference s,...
- Jack in NH: “Frankly, I think that the number of the saved is a good deal smaller than the number of the damned.” That’s why we have a ‘Highway to hell’, and only a ‘Stairway to Heaven’! ;-)
- Semper Gumby: Those Honus Wagner tobacco cards are rare, no wonder they had it in a separate case, and probably accessed by drawbridge over a crocodile- filled moat. VP: Thanks for that poem,...
- G1j: Our parish priest will not deny anyone communion either. He says he is not in a position to judge whether or not the individual is worthy of receiving. He says that is on the individual . What...
- Fr_Andrew: The terminolog y used by moral theologian s, I think helps. When we confess a sin and receive absolution for it then this sin is directly remitted. When we make our best effort to...
- VP: The Pope and those influencin g (or directing) him know that creating doubt over an issue is sufficient to upset existing order. Pastors everywhere will have to tread yet another critical line...
- mharden: Please be sure to always link the Second Edition of the Catechism (The Amazon link provided here seems to be the First or Second, depending on the publisher they ship from, see their...
- Ultrarunner: During a private audience the Pope asked leaders of the Lavender Mofia to use their discretion and deny enrollment to homosexual seminarian candidates . The trick at these meetings is...
- vetusta ecclesia: The German church and its fellow travellers are in de facto schism. Let’ s get it out in the open so that the orthodox Catholics can get on without worrying about these...
- David L Alexander: I was taught very early to end my confession thus: “For these and all the sins of my past life, I am truly sorry.R 21; I say this every single time. [past life… ;...
- Geoffrey: “Whi le we are obliged to confess all mortal sins in both kind (the sort of sin) and number (how many times or frequency) … 221; I have always wondered about this in those...
- Antonin: Grant And fast forward almost 50 years – you see no value in some of the liturgical changes? You don’ t think the OT, NT and gospel and related psalms is a good idea. [Wher...
- Antonin: The simplest answer is usually the correct one – no the Pope does not have a long range strategy – his thinking is loose and uneven and his comments impulsive – by...
- Antonin: The issue is not homosexual ity – the issue is Church leadership . There are always going to be instances of priests, bishops, etc acting waywardly – this has been the experi...
- aquinasadmirer: You are right that this is coming to a parish near you. I live in the archdioces e of Minneapoli s and St. Paul… ; A coworker, married to a Catholic, who is not Catholic, told...
- Semper Gumby: That’ ;s a motivating sermon, God bless Card. Sarah. Thanks NLM and Fr. Z.
- monstrance: Perhaps the Holy Father’s recent experience with the Chilean sex abuse scandal served as a bucket of cold water. The “Who am I to judge “ stance received a severe dose of reality.
- Cafea Fruor: I forget things all the time, and not from nerves. I just forget, even if I just prepared myself right before going in. The only solution I’ve found is to write everything down...
- Amerikaner: In practice the decisions are made by the Rectors 230; and pertinent info may not therefore be passed on to a bishop before ordination .
- Ave Maria: One time it is “Who am I to judge̶ 1; or recently “God made you gay” (paraphras e?) and there was the welcoming of a homosexual couple at the Vatican and also a...
- dbf223: Why is a Cardinal of the Church giving anyone investment advice? I know this is Honduras and not, say, Switzerlan d, but if you’ re the widow of a former high level government offic...
- millercr2: I travel 115K+ miles per year on United Airlines and while I don’ t record tail numbers, I was told by an industry insider to glance at the serial number that can be found inside...
CLICK and say your daily offerings!
- ASK FATHER: When to make an appointment for confession
- ASK FATHER: Sorting out confusing, contradictory messages from priests
- Wherein Fr. Z assigns some worthwhile reading
- Met “Gay-la” and new movie. Coincidence? I think not.
- ASK FATHER: Forgetting sins during confession
- Day Of Prayer For The Church In China
- Pope Francis on homosexual seminarians: This bridge is closed!
- My View For Awhile: Urban Devastation Edition
- Does Pope Francis have a “long game” strategy?
- Interview about Honduran Card. Rodriguez Maradiaga
- Canadian Jesuit Archbp. Prendergast comments on crazy German bishops’ scheme
- Pope’s words about God making someone “gay”
- Some cool stuff, old and new, in Rome and Detroit
- @Card_R_Sarah terrific sermon for Pentecost and pilgrimage
- A Bishop calls on his brother Bishops to celebrate the Traditional Pontifical Mass, TLM
- “I originally sent you this story 8 years ago, for the brick by brick file…” UPDATE
- “Where there is no temple there shall be no homes.”
- Pastor Iuventus on the appalling Met “Gay-la”
- Chilling – probably correct – explanation of mass school shootings
- A Pentecost Monday lesson: “And Paul VI wept.”
- WDTPRS – Pentecost Sunday: that strong stable edge
- Your Sunday Sermon Notes
- BACK IN PRINT! The Heresy of Formlessness
- My View For Awhile: Creston Edition
- “I used to think hosts found on floors was Traditional Catholic hyperbole…”
- Monday after Pentecost: Memorial of the Blessed Virgin Mary, Mother of the Church – TEXTS
- Bp. Schneider’s terrific talk in Rome – ACTION ITEM!
- ASK FATHER: As a lay woman, should I have a “Mass kit” in my “Bug Out Bag”?
- @JamesMartinSJ can also amuse
- I have bad news and good news: Scouts and Troops
Let us pray…
Grant unto thy Church, we beseech Thee, O merciful God, that She, being gathered together by the Holy Ghost, may be in no wise troubled by attack from her foes. O God, who by sin art offended and by penance pacified, mercifully regard the prayers of Thy people making supplication unto Thee,and turn away the scourges of Thine anger which we deserve for our sins. Almighty and Everlasting God, in whose Hand are the power and the government of every realm: look down upon and help the Christian people that the heathen nations who trust in the fierceness of their own might may be crushed by the power of thine Arm. Through our Lord Jesus Christ, Thy Son, who liveth and reigneth with Thee in the unity of the Holy Ghost, God, world without end. R. Amen.
My "challenge coin" for my 25th anniversary of ordination in 2016.
Want one? I do exchanges with military and LEOs, etc. and you can make a donation.
Coat of Arms by D Burkart
I travel a good deal. As I get older, it takes more of a toll. My main airline - sigh - is Delta. Were I to get some Gift Cards for Delta, I could more easily upgrade for longer flights. I'm just sayin'. I'd be much obliged. HERE
New miscellaneous releases and events
Yes, Fr. Z is taking ads…
A great hymnal…
Because it matters what children read…
I carry one of these super-strong rosaries in my spare mag pouch! The Swiss Guards have them too!
Because you don’t know when you are going to need to move fast or get along without the supermarket…
PLEASE RESPOND. Pretty pleeeease?Loading ...
WDTPRS POLLLoading ...
Fr. Z’s stuff is everywhere
Help support Fr. Z’s Gospel of Life work at no cost to you. Do you need a Real Estate Agent? Calling these people is the FIRST thing you should do!
GREAT causes to support
Help Monks in Wyoming (coffee – UPDATED LINK) and Norcia (beer) and the wonderful "Soap Sisters" of Summit, NJ!
Please follow me on Twitter!
If you travel internationally, this is a super useful gizmo for your mobile internet data. I use one. If you get one through my link, I get data rewards.
A book by an old friend…
Daily Archives: 6 September 2012
A friend of mine from my many years in Rome, Greg Di Pippo (very learnéd fellow), is going to be giving a talk in Boston, at the Cathedral, on the Extraordinary Form.
There will be Holy Mass in the Extraordinary Form … Continue reading
Zoe Griffin, 11, a solidly pro-life girl, was attacked verbally by a couple pro-abortion adult women.
Read about it HERE.
Minnesota is ground-zero for defense of true marriage this year.
I predicted that as election day in November 2012 drew nearer, the battle over the defense-of-marriage amendment in Minnesota would get as weird as the legislative battle last year in Madison, … Continue reading
From a seminarian:
I responded before to your inquiry about what training was or was not being offered in seminaries in the celebration of the Extraordinary Form. At the time you inquired there was no training offered for the EF. Therefore, … Continue reading
Democrats reject gift baskets, welcome letters from Christian groups in Charlotte because of their values
Gee whiz. Maybe Pres. Obama can jump in and change their minds on this one, too!
DNC Rejects Christian Gift Baskets
The Democratic National Committee banned dozens of Charlotte churches from distributing gift baskets to delegates because the congregations hold … Continue reading
I have posted on Saul Alinksy‘s “Rules for Radicals” before. However, over at Etheldreda’s Place they were listed, and – at the bottom of that post – an interesting comment was added (go THERE to find it, and yes I … Continue reading
Obama first approved ejecting God and Jerusalem from the party platform, and, after heat, got it changed later
The Catholic League has an interesting take on the Democrat Convention (DNC) and the reinsertion of God and Jerusalem into the party platform, and some information I didn’t know when I wrote about the topic HERE.
THE POLITICS OF GOD’S … Continue reading
From a reader in Italy:
this is the situation I am witnessing in a church:
during the Mass, after the Agnus Dei, a friar serving the Mass (just friar, not deacon, nor priest) goes to the Tabernacle, takes the ciborium and … Continue reading