Search Fr. Z’s Blog
SHOPPING ONLINE? Please, always come here first!
Enter Amazon through my link. Use the search bar below. Fr Z will get a small percentage of what you spend.
Here's Fr. Z's "catholic" search for Amazon: US HERE - UK HERE And you do need a Kindle! - HERE
“This blog is like a fusion of the Baroque ‘salon’ with its well-tuned harpsichord around which polite society gathered for entertainment and edification and, on the other hand, a Wild West “saloon” with its out-of-tune piano and swinging doors, where everyone has a gun and something to say. Nevertheless, we try to point our discussions back to what it is to be Catholic in this increasingly difficult age, to love God, and how to get to heaven.” – Fr. Z
Coat of Arms by D Burkart
YOUR RECENT COMMENTS
- Spade: So what was the recipe?
- Fr Martin Fox: I talked about the Cardinal McCarrick situation, the pornograph y problem and Humanae Vitae. It’s all connected.
- arga: Nice example, these baked goods, of the “ana logical imaginatio n” so dear to Catholicis m.
- Chaswjd: Jennifer Patterson of Two Fat Ladies fame published a cookbook that tied many of its recipes to the liturgical calendar. It may be worth investigat ing.
- capchoirgirl: My sister-in- law gave me a Madeleine pan a few years ago, and I love making them! They’ ;re so delicious& #8211;once they’ ;re a little stale they are EXCELLENT dunked in...
- Flos Carmeli: I second FrAnt̵ 7;s comment 217;s re. baking your madeleines . I also have a darker non-stick version of the pan, and have learned to adjust baking temp. when following recipes...
- davidjhickey: Re Best Scene. I beg to differ. See attached.
- Gaetano: To paraphrase an old political saw: “Chr istanity ain’ t bean bag.” ;
- Gaetano: Today̵ 7;s bishops should recall that Sts. Peter & Paul weren̵ 7;t invited to celebrity events and garden parties when they preached. People rioted against them.
- Legisperitus: That 1955 date seems, at first glance, to have the baleful Bugnini influence written all over it. Still, I agree with Fr_Andrew& #8230; seek permission to restore the Creed to her...
- Gregg the Obscure: I am startled that you’ re not an adept baker since baking is more rubrical than other forms of cooking where one can largely “pla y by sense of smell̶ 1;.
- FrAnt: I think I know why your Madeliens browned too much. When you use dark colored baking pans you need to lower the heat by 20-25 degrees. It should say on the pan’s tags. The other thing is...
- Liz: I do pray for your mother sometimes. I think of her, and of my own dear mother, who has passed on to the next life, when I think of chocolate chip cookies. I have not been able to make good...
- originalsolitude: With hindsight, ESI 88 and 93 on prerequisi tes could have been predicted about nine years ago. In May 2008 an internatio nal meeting of the Ordo Virginum was convened in Rome,...
- Father Ignotus: GIRM # 68 provides the justificat ion for adding a Creed in the NO celebratio n on this feast. If we take that into account and load it into our epikaia machine, I think the end...
- richiedel: I can imagine on some future weekday Low Mass on July 22, Father deciding to give a short homily wherein he mentions how the Creed will be recited shortly and giving the reasons why this...
- JSPizzo: absolutely agree. the question of should in theory is different than in practice
- Fr_Andrew: If we decry the abuses of the Ordinary Form by celebrants making up their own liturgy and ignoring the books, then is it not just as much an abuse to ignore Summorum Pontificum and...
- maternalView: A few courageous priests and Bishops, but no more than we see now addressing today̵ 7;s troubles, will endure the coming trial with the faithful. Most clergy and laity simply...
- Elizabeth D: Last August when students were moving out of their apartments I found a big container of commercial ly made, individual ly wrapped Madeleine cookies. They were a little lemony, they...
- Uxixu: After the reading of Malachi Martin, St. John Paul II should have issued that exact same proclamati on after he recovered from the assassin attempt.
- Charles E Flynn: The attack of 1955 is no more privileged than the later attacks in the 1960s. The unique position of St Mary Magdalene in the life of Christ deserves a unique position in the most...
- Augustine Thompson O.P.: Well, of course, if you are unhappy with rubrical violations that don’ t fit your taste, it is hypocritic al to encourage violations that fit your taste. But I was...
- Charles E Flynn: Cooking outside of the comfort zone is one of the arts practiced by men who make the effort to avoid being “bea rs with furniture& #8221;. If I recall correctly, you have not...
- The Cobbler: Many of the great figures of the Old Testament are considered saints and have a day in the Roman liturgical book called the Roman Martyrolog y. Father, I once heard, somewhere along...
CLICK and say your daily offerings!
- Your Sunday Sermon Notes
- Fr. Z’s Kitchen and Remembrance of Things Past
- 22 July: Mary Magdalene and the Creed at Mass – POLL!
- Can you imagine bishops doing something like this today?
- ASK FATHER: Blessing for a Wheelchair, Stretcher, or Ambulance
- FEAST DAY! 21 July 1773 – Clement XIV suppressed the Jesuits!
- R.I.P. Msgr. Camille Perl, once Secretary of the Pontifical Commission “Ecclesia Dei”
- And now for your Friday SSPX news!
- WDTPRS – 16th Ordinary Sunday: The Enemy is hunting YOU
- For your consideration…
- The hurly burly of Medieval Studies!
- FLYING ELECTRIC SPACE SPIDERS!
- ASK FATHER: Mass texts for St. Elijah, Old Testament Prophet
- What could possibly go wrong? – UPDATED
- YOUR GOOD NEWS… and Washington DC’s new Auxiliary Bishop and key priest at Detroit’s major seminary
- Budding young feminist archeologists
- ASK FATHER: Baptism of child of a same-sex couple?
- BOOK RECEIVED: Why Humanae Vitae Is Still Right!
- What the TMSM is doing with your donations
- Who is behind that “Lovely, drippy, syrupy TLM and vocation video” and how are they being treated?
- ACTION ITEM! Pray for Fr. Morris, victim of the homosexualist agenda
- Are we still trustworthy?
- Lovely, drippy, syrupy TLM and vocation video. Then Fr. Z rants about crying.
- The image of the badge of the Vendée came to mind today
- ACTION ITEM! Spiritual Bouquet for Bp. Morlino
- Fr. Z’s Kitchen: Garofolato!
- ASK FATHER: Cremains in funeral Mass, Traditional Requiem
- Pontifical Mass in Lake Charles. A brief and yet optimistic rant from Fr. Z.
- The last 10 minutes…
- 17 July 1794: “Permission to die, Mother?”
Let us pray…
Grant unto thy Church, we beseech Thee, O merciful God, that She, being gathered together by the Holy Ghost, may be in no wise troubled by attack from her foes. O God, who by sin art offended and by penance pacified, mercifully regard the prayers of Thy people making supplication unto Thee,and turn away the scourges of Thine anger which we deserve for our sins. Almighty and Everlasting God, in whose Hand are the power and the government of every realm: look down upon and help the Christian people that the heathen nations who trust in the fierceness of their own might may be crushed by the power of thine Arm. Through our Lord Jesus Christ, Thy Son, who liveth and reigneth with Thee in the unity of the Holy Ghost, God, world without end. R. Amen.
My "challenge coin" for my 25th anniversary of ordination in 2016.
Want one? I do exchanges with military and LEOs, etc. and you can make a donation.
New miscellaneous releases and events
Yes, Fr. Z is taking ads…
A great hymnal…
Because it matters what children read…
I carry one of these super-strong rosaries in my spare mag pouch! The Swiss Guards have them too!
Because you don’t know when you are going to need to move fast or get along without the supermarket…
PLEASE RESPOND. Pretty pleeeease?Loading ...
WDTPRS POLLLoading ...
Fr. Z’s stuff is everywhere
Help support Fr. Z’s Gospel of Life work at no cost to you. Do you need a Real Estate Agent? Calling these people is the FIRST thing you should do!
GREAT causes to support
Help Monks in Wyoming (coffee – UPDATED LINK) and Norcia (beer) and the wonderful "Soap Sisters" of Summit, NJ!
Please follow me on Twitter!
If you travel internationally, this is a super useful gizmo for your mobile internet data. I use one. If you get one through my link, I get data rewards.
Daily Archives: 20 September 2012
From the USCCB:
Pilgrimage to begin Rosary Novena for Life and Liberty
WASHINGTON—A Mass and Pilgrimage for Life and Liberty at the Basilica of the National Shrine of the Immaculate Conception in Washington is slated for Sunday, Oct. 14 at 12 noon … Continue reading
QUAERITUR: Confessor asked if I believe in “reincarnation” because I said I was sorry for the “sins of my past life”.
From a reader:
I was wondering the correct formula for confession. I read online somewhere “Bless me father for I have sinned it has been X weeks since my last confession… I accuse myself of the following sins…” (list in kind … Continue reading
Stop what you are doing and either bookmark this or go to read this essay right now. HERE
Sr. Joan L. Roccasalvo, C.S.J., knocks it outta da park on Sacred Music.
Here’s a taste, which you can enjoy while sipping your Mystic … Continue reading
The Cardinal Newman Society has identified some excellent High Schools.
“Since competition began in 2004, the Honor Roll has been a helpful tool for administrators, families, and benefactors in recognizing the quality of a Catholic high school,” said Patrick J. Reilly, … Continue reading
This amusing piece came from the UK’s best Catholic weekly, The Catholic Herald (do you subscribe?):
The English language is not a walled garden, but rather a trampled field over which many passers through have left their mark. The French language has … Continue reading
The confessional Fulton Sheen used at St Patrick’s, Soho Square, London.
Do everybody a huge good deed and go to confession. Sin hurts everyone. Reconciliation helps everyone.
NB: In a comment below, a participant posted some points about when the paschal candle may be used in the Extraordinary Form. Don’t just read my answer and then move on without also reading that comment. You will know which … Continue reading