Good news about a seminarian and a great TLM for Veterans’ Day

A seminarian, Philip Gerard Johnson, for whom I have asked your prayers due to his battle with cancer, has been admitted to the ministry of Lector.

Mr. Johnson also posting some spiffing photos of a Mass for Veterans’ Day at Benedictine College Preparatory in Richmond, VA). They revived their traditional Veterans’ Day Mass for the 101st Anniversary of their school. Bishop DiLorenzo granted permission for a special Votive Mass of the Holy Ghost. The Solemn High Latin Mass in the Extraordinary Form took place at St. Benedict (Fraternity of Saint Peter) parish in Chesapeake, VA. Chesapeake is in the Tidewater area, so many active and retired military members attended in uniform.

Here are a couple shots. Go there for the rest.

Technorati Tags: , , ,

This entry was posted in Brick by Brick, Liturgy Science Theatre 3000, Our Catholic Identity, The future and our choices and tagged , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

17 Responses to Good news about a seminarian and a great TLM for Veterans’ Day

1. wanda says:

Thank you for this good news about Philip, I’ve been praying for him since reading about him at your place. I pray for his healing and that he reaches his heart’s desire to be ordained a Priest.

2. Stu says:

This was one of the most moving Masses I have every been a part of in my life. Indeed, every Mass is just as important given the Sacrifice of Christ but as veteran to see such respect and reverence shown by these young MEN in uniform rekindled my most youthful idealism. Especially memorable was the playing of Taps by a lone bugler outside of the church during the elevation. I simply wept.

Thank you to Bishop DiLorenzo and Father Neil Nichols for making this happen.

3. An American Mother says:

Great news re Philip Johnson. Will remember to pray for him.
    The Veterans Day Mass looks splendid! It is a very good thing for soldiers to be in service to the Lord. It helps keep them mindful of their virtue, honor, and obligations to God.

4. chantgirl says:

I assisted at Mass at this very church on vacation and it was lovely. It was worth the drive!

5. New Sister says:

How healing it would be to the US Army if the Holy TLM were to catch on at West Point – Deo volente.

(would make them better warriors, better officers, to boot)

6. Laura98 says:

This is wonderful. Thank you for sharing. It’s heartwarming to see something good and holy happening in the world today!

7. bminer says:

I’m fascinated by a Catholic prep school with a cadet program. How many of those are there?

8. Sissy says:

Great photos, and happy news about Philip Johnson. St. Benedict’s will be my new church, Lord willing, sometime in the new year.

9. Diane at Te Deum Laudamus says:

Here is a direct link to Philip’s post with the rest of the pics (regrets if I missed it in the body of the post). Loads of liturgical eye candy in these shots.

10. Diane at Te Deum Laudamus says:

Same pics at “A Priest’s Life” blog, but bigger…

11. Mike says:

I’ve been to this church and know the server at the bottom!!!

12. Matt R says:

I love St Benedict’s!
    Confessions before Mass, wonderful liturgy…best church in that part of the Diocese.
    Too bad I never made it to the new chapel.

13. Sissy says:

MattR said: “I love St Benedict’s!”

If you decide to attend Christendom, you can visit again. Let me know, and I’ll take you to lunch! [Incidentally, when I say “St. Benedict’s”, I mean in Richmond. I haven’t had the pleasure of visiting St. Benedict’s in Chesapeake, yet)

14. Matt R says:

Oh boy, I like the photos of St Benedict’s Richmond…
    :) Hmm, good offer. I’m always partial to food.

15. John Nolan says:

What’s the ruling about (male) military personnel wearing headdress in church? It’s not a silly question, I would genuinely like to know.

16. Stu says:

John,

When under arms you remain covered, especially when presenting honors.

17. oldCatholigirl says:

I was thrilled to see that Philip Johnson is still hanging in there. I’ve been asking for Cardinal Van Thuan’s intercession for him since, I think, the last time you mentioned him, which is quite a while ago. So far, I’ve asked for the Cardinal’s intercession for three other people, and they all came out on the other side of chemotherapy OK. (Two were young women in their 30s, but the other was a friend in her late 70s.) Not exactly miracles, I suppose, but definitely extraordinary graces in my book.
    (Sorry to be commenting so late, but when I went to do my usual post-weekend catch-up this week, the blog did not go back far enough–still in the throes of its update, I guess.)