Search Fr. Z’s Blog
SHOPPING ONLINE? Please, always come here first!Enter Amazon through my link, the image below (they took away our search box!), and I will get a small percentage of what you spend. (Pssst - Can't see it? Turn off your "ad-blocker" for this site!)
Here's a generic "catholic" search start point for Amazon:
And you do need a Kindle! - HERE
“This blog is like a fusion of the Baroque ‘salon’ with its well-tuned harpsichord around which polite society gathered for entertainment and edification and, on the other hand, a Wild West “saloon” with its out-of-tune piano and swinging doors, where everyone has a gun and something to say. Nevertheless, we try to point our discussions back to what it is to be Catholic in this increasingly difficult age, to love God, and how to get to heaven.” – Fr. Z
YOUR RECENT COMMENTS
- Antonin: Hard not to draw analogies with SSPX ..AL sprang from a council of Bishops and reflected the consensus of the Bishops. It stands as written …amb iguity and all. The problem is that...
- Michael Haz: Bp Schneider will be in Milawuakee Feb 17-18 at St. Stanislaus Oratory. Per the St. Stanislaus Facebook page, Bp Schneider will lead a Spiritual Retreat Feb 17, and High Mass Feb 18.
- Hidden One: If next week we discovered that 67% of American Catholics supported firing and excommunic ating (not necessaril y in that order) dissenting theologian s, it would be amazing just how...
- Prayerful: All the confessors in the diocesan church I usually go to, use words for the Form of Absolution , which matches pp 1873-4 of the 1945 St AndrewR 17;s missal I generally use, that is,...
- richiedel: Hahaha. Yeah, these bishops who avoid scandal commit scandal alright 230;just like the cross was a scandal. “But we preach Christ crucified, a stumbling block to Jews and folly...
- NH Knight: hey aiello01 you mean the Holy Eucharist, right? New Testament Christiani ty is the Holy Eucharist. You know that right? If that is not crystal clear to you yet Scott Hahn ( former...
- Kathleen10: Happy and safe travels, Fr. Z. It is excellent that President Trump is addressing the crowd via any method whatsoever . It would be a likely mess if he attended in person, but I bet he...
- DavidR: The eye of Sauron never closes.
- Elizabeth D: The only time I ever confessed to a priest who used the traditiona l form, he said something LONG in Latin at the end and I did not hear “ego te absolvo 221; or “...
- acardnal: It’s always very cool to fly into Reagan National while coming down the Potomac river even at night!
- PostCatholic: I’ve had a prototype Echo Spot on my home office desk since October, and I like a lot. It’s a great form factor for video calls. As for the Project Veritas stuff about...
- Seppe: Reverendis sime Pater, gratias agimus tibi… ; :)
- jaykay: Sooo good that Pres. Trump will address the March. At the least, it’l l mean that the MSM can’ t do their usual kabuki of ignoring it. And, it’l l greatly hearten those of...
- Kent Wendler: Registerin g in any of the social media makes me think: “Aba ndon all hope (of privacy) ye who enter here.̶ 1; I will not. I also keep my net-connec ted devices with cameras...
- bcstudent: I will be there with other students from Boston College. This will be my first time at the march. When is the TLM?
- Fr. John Zuhlsdorf: hwriggles4 says: Archdioces e for the Military Services Funny you should mention that. I’m meeting someone tonight for supper (if I ever get there).
- hwriggles4: Fr Z: It may take longer to get to DCA or BWI from either MSP or DTW, but I am sure you have your kindle and other paperwork for your parish, and I know you do your prayers daily. You...
- rcg: I remember when you had to *be* somebody to have one of those big, unblinking eyes ringed in fire. Now everybody can have one.
- RJBennett: I live in Germany, and I recently asked the pastor of my local parish f he would consider saying a Traditiona l Latin Mass. His response was, “Do you want us to go BACKWAR...
- Mike: Delta is up to its antics… My sincere empathy. I’ve long since become accustomed to regarding the airline oligopoly as the “inv isible hand of the free marketR 21; smacking us...
- frjim4321: I’ve heard made-up words of absolution . I think it’s a disservice . I’m always careful to pronounce the words correctly. It could be argued that some of the illicit...
- TonyO: I have had this exact experience happen, and I too wondered what is the best thing to do. Obviously if there is a pause in what Fr. is saying as advice, you have that opportunit y to speak...
- Andrew: Kathleen10 Yes, indeed. In those days, when a speech was given in public on the occasion of such a celebratio n, they still used Latin: which, I presume, was understood , if not by all,...
- daughteroflight: For curious people who want to find their territoria l parish, some (not all) dioceses in the USA actually have a parish search function on their website which also displays the...
- Kathleen10: The distance between planet earth and the sun seems shorter than the distance between the men in Rome of that time and the specimens we have now.
CLICK and say your daily offering!
- Big Business Is WATCHING!
- My View For Awhile: March For Life 2018 Edition
- “The Triumph of Marcantonio Colonna” described
- ASK FATHER: Would anything prevent a priest from always using the traditional formula of absolution?
- 2 Feb – MADISON – Candlemas – Pontifical Mass at the Throne
- Card. Müller on authority of Popes, possibility of others correcting contradictory papal teachings
- ASK FATHER: If I remember a sin after confessing, should I interrupt the priest and tell him?
- Slithery misdirection from the National Sodomitical Reporter: Bishops who avoid scandal commit scandal
- An Armenian bishop “ordains” a deaconette
- Two seriously ugly signs of the times involving papal honors and the silencing of bells
- BOOK RECEIVED about Martin Luther (not King but by “King”)
- ASK FATHER: How do I find out which territorial parish I live in?
- Who cares what libs think? Boldly recover and use great traditional items and vesture of yore.
- ASK FATHER: If I confess to watching porn, must I say it was homosexual porn?
- ACTION ITEM! Petition against removal of historic Cross where Fr. Marquette died
- ASK FATHER: We want our children to have reverent Masses. Can we go to the SSPX chapel?
- VIDEO Bp. Athanasius Schneider interview about “Amoris laetitia” Controversy
- ASK FATHER: Should I tell a noisy penitent that we can hear everything said in the confessional?
- Observing the Feast of the Ass – 14 January
- A false #missilethreat is NOTHING compared to this REAL DEATH THREAT
- 14 Jan – Happy Feast of the Ass!
- Fr. Murray on EWTN with outstanding commentary on recent developments
- Wherein Fr. Z comments on a @RorateCaeli post about priests, permissions and exorcism prayers. Then @fatherz rants.
- Wherein @MassimoFaggioli tosses another nastygram at the “rigorist” straw man
- ASK FATHER: URGENT EMERGENCY PREDICAMENT! Mass in Presence of a Prelate but we don’t have a Pax Brede!
- How bad is the situation of vocations to the priesthood tragic Germany?
- Esolen on virtue and chastity in “Wonder Woman” (not the one you immediately thought of)
- DISGUSTING LBGT story reveals something about homosexualist agenda in the Church. Wherein Fr. Z rants.
- Irish “Mass Path”, for secret worship, mapped and photographed (and some BOOKS)
- ASK FATHER: SSPX or Diocesan TLM – It is an “undue burden” to have to wait 3.5 hours?
Let us pray…
Grant unto thy Church, we beseech Thee, O merciful God, that She, being gathered together by the Holy Ghost, may be in no wise troubled by attack from her foes. O God, who by sin art offended and by penance pacified, mercifully regard the prayers of Thy people making supplication unto Thee,and turn away the scourges of Thine anger which we deserve for our sins. Almighty and Everlasting God, in whose Hand are the power and the government of every realm: look down upon and help the Christian people that the heathen nations who trust in the fierceness of their own might may be crushed by the power of thine Arm. Through our Lord Jesus Christ, Thy Son, who liveth and reigneth with Thee in the unity of the Holy Ghost, God, world without end. R. Amen.
New miscellaneous releases and events
Yes, Fr. Z is taking ads…
A great hymnal…
Because it matters what children read…
I carry one of these super-strong rosaries in my spare mag pouch! The Swiss Guards have them too!
Because you don’t know when you are going to need to move fast or get along without the supermarket…
PLEASE RESPOND. Pretty pleeeease?Loading ...
WDTPRS POLLLoading ...
Fr. Z’s stuff is everywhere
Help support Fr. Z’s Gospel of Life work at no cost to you. Do you need a Real Estate Agent? Calling these people is the FIRST thing you should do!
GREAT causes to support
Help Monks in Wyoming (coffee – UPDATED LINK) and Norcia (beer) and the wonderful "Soap Sisters" of Summit, NJ!
Please follow me on Twitter!
If you travel internationally, this is a super useful gizmo for your mobile internet data. I use one. If you get one through my link, I get data rewards.
A book by an old friend…
Monthly Archives: December 2012
Please use the sharing buttons! Thanks!
UPDATE 21 Dec 20:09 GMT:
Right now: 146 contributors have prayed 435 rosaries, 217 chaplets of Divine Mercy, 99.41 hours of adoration, stations of the cross 99 times, and have had 134 Masses offered for Bishop Robert … Continue reading
For your Brick by Brick file.
Someone sent me news about a development in the Diocese of Greenburg.
Bishop Brandt implements Mass in extraordinary form in Latrobe
GREENSBURG — Bishop Lawrence E. Brandt announced that he is implementing the celebration of the Mass … Continue reading
I saw in the online, full digital version of the UK’s best Catholic weekly, the Catholic Herald‘s choices for People of the Year for 2012. They also explained why they were chosen.
Timothy Card. Dolan tops the list, followed by…
Asia Bibi … Continue reading
LATIN: O Oriens, splendor lucis aeternae, et sol iustitiae: veni, et illumina sedentes in tenebris et umbra mortis.
ENGLISH: O dawn of the east, brightness of light eternal, and sun of justice: come, and enlighten those who sit in darkness … Continue reading
The Holy Father today provided insight into how evil and destructive the homosexual agenda is.
Each year shortly before Christmas the Roman Pontiff exchanges greetings with and addresses the members of Roman Curia. He gives them what some call a “State … Continue reading
From Fox 11 in Green Bay, WI:
Homeless shelter could face city fines
GREEN BAY – One of Green Bay’s homeless shelters could soon be putting itself in trouble with the city.
City officials say St. John the Evangelist Homeless Shelter is allowing … Continue reading
The poll-challenged Fishwrap‘s editor has piped up with this: “The pro-life challenge of gun control”
I respond with what I wrote about the dopey piece by their same site’s Sr. Maureen Fiedler HERE.
NCR doesn’t defend the unborn.
People who don’t defend the … Continue reading
This just in:
(Vatican Radio) On Thursday 20th December Pope Benedict XVI received in private audience the Prefect of the Congregation for the Causes of the Saints, Cardinal Angelo Amato S.D.B.
In the course of the audience the Pope authorised the Congregation … Continue reading
From CNS, something from an old prof of mine. I have written about Prof. Rist before.
‘You can’t pick and choose in Catholic moral teaching’
Posted on December 19, 2012 by Carol Glatz
By Greg Watry
VATICAN CITY (CNS) — The church must evolve … Continue reading
Please, in your charity, read this.
At the blog Southern Orders, Fr. Allan McDonald had a few things to say about liberals and Vatican II and what freaks them out.
Here is a taste with my emphases and comments:
The progressive, liberal element of the Church since Vatican … Continue reading
From The Catholic League:
Christmas Vandals Never Quit
December 19, 2012
Catholic League president Bill Donohue comments on Christmas vandals:
Every year at Christmastime, incidents of vandalism are rampant, and while this year was not as bad as last year, there still were too … Continue reading
The amusing Eye of the Tiber (go visit!) hits it on the head with this one. Funny… but not!
Lapsed Catholic Confirms She Is Still Spiritual
Sherman Oaks, CA–27-year-old Sara Matson confirmed to friends yesterday that she was indeed still very spiritual despite … Continue reading
From the Catholic News Herald of the Diocese of Charlotte:
Government must rewrite HHS mandate by March 31, court orders
WASHINGTON, D.C. — A federal appeals court in Washington, D.C., has sided with Belmont Abbey College in its lawsuit challenging the Obama administration’s … Continue reading
From the UK’s best Catholic weekly, The Catholic Herald with my emphases:
Head of the CDF urges Catholics to welcome ordinariate converts
Catholics in England and Wales should welcome members of the Personal Ordinariate of Our Lady of Walsingham, the new prefect of … Continue reading