Search Fr. Z’s Blog
SHOPPING ONLINE? Please, always come here first!
Enter Amazon through my link. Use the search bar below. Fr Z will get a small percentage of what you spend.
Here's Fr. Z's "catholic" search for Amazon: US HERE - UK HERE And you do need a Kindle! - HERE
“This blog is like a fusion of the Baroque ‘salon’ with its well-tuned harpsichord around which polite society gathered for entertainment and edification and, on the other hand, a Wild West “saloon” with its out-of-tune piano and swinging doors, where everyone has a gun and something to say. Nevertheless, we try to point our discussions back to what it is to be Catholic in this increasingly difficult age, to love God, and how to get to heaven.” – Fr. Z
Coat of Arms by D Burkart
Send Snail Mail to Fr. Z
YOUR RECENT COMMENTS
- Fr. Kelly: Before we get too too excited about the definitive character of this punishment , let’ s consider the case of Ernesto Cardenal. John Paul II suspended him a divinis in 1979 because...
- Fallibilissimo: @Grant M Thanks for that! That’ ;s very interestin g. I have to look up more about this, you’ ve tickled my curiosity.
- Gab: I think I could use a tipple of Tanqueray right about now. No ice, of course.
- robtbrown: Abp ViganoR 17; is of course correct about the shoddy theologica l formation involved in all the problems of priests and religious. The problem is that the liturgy continues to...
- robtbrown: Bellarmino says It is essentiall y the inmate running the asylum Perhaps better: The monkeys running the zoo* * With a grateful nod to HLMencken
- robtbrown: Unwilling, Recommendi ng Tanqueray is another strike against Francis, as far as I am concerned. It represents much of what was wrong during the Counter Reformatio n Church. Read Garrig...
- Charles E Flynn: When an image from the works of Gustave Doré is used to introduce an article, you know that ahead lies at least one weighty theme.
- Kathleen10: Thank you to Abp. Vigano for stating the truth and asking the questions the poor laity might ask if given the opportunit y. One point, and it doesn̵ 7;t seem minor. He said the...
- teomatteo: Benedict Joseph, your responce to TonyO was interestin g to me. I have had the opportunit y to see Vermeer 217;s ‘The Scale̵ 7; at the Detroit Institute up close (as per Fr...
- Charles E Flynn: Sardine bones are a source of calcium: http://www .eatingwel l.com/arti cle/15730/ the-1-food -you-shoul d-eat-and- probably-d ont/
- Hidden One: Giuseppe, No, no, and no. Be at peace.
- jaykay: Spinmamma: very true what you say, we could be faced with potential loss of these glorious structures in our current circs. Yet… it’s not the first time. Rheims, the most...
- maryelangdon: Fr. Z. Look up Fredrick McManus whose name appears on the book you are promoting. . He was head of liberal post V2 group bringing in changes to Mass etc. Called FLDC ( Federation of...
- TonyO: Benedict-J oe, I will admit that I am not deeply educated in the visual arts. (However, I have actual artists in the family, who make a living at visual art, so I have been exposed to a...
- Lux de Coelo: Oily as a conference of bishops Hilarious
- SanSan: Love the “coo king and sermonR 21; Father Z. You are quite entertaini ng. Nice to read something for a change that is uplifting during such strife.
- RichR: This Bishop makes me want to strive for holiness. How much grace is being showered down on this brave soul?
- ThePapalCount: Pope Francis 217; appointmen t of McCarrick& #8217;s close collaborat or Cardinal Kevin Farrell as carmelengo is really a mockery. Is Francis tone deaf to what is going on? I...
- David L Alexander: This is a positive developmen t. That being said … Back in the day, a priest would have in the pocket of his cassock, a small vial of the “Ole um Infirmorum ,R...
- KateriK: Second paragraph – second sentence: Riruum. Should be Rituum.
- Benedict Joseph: TonyO requires a thorough instructio n on the history of the visual arts, and an immersion in the studio for a few years mastering anatomy, line, value, color. Just start render...
- Bellarmino Vianney: This is another good op-ed by the Great Archbishop Vigano. The problem, as many have already noted, is the individual s leading the so-called “Sum mit” . It is...
- LauraL: I want a way to help. I can only give $10, $25 at a time, here and there, but I want very much to do that.
- Charles E Flynn: In the second paragraph on page iii, what should be “Col lectio RituumR 21; becomes “Col lectio RiruumR 21;. A search at Google for “col lectio riruum&...
- Malta: $4,000,000 ,000 https://ww w.newsweek .com/over- 3-billion- paid-lawsu its-cathol ic-church- over-sex-a buse-claim s-1090753 The sad thing is most of this money came from pensioners not...
CLICK and say your daily offerings!
- BOOK RECEIVED: 1962 Parish Ritual – HUZZAH!
- Archbp. Viganò offers thoughts on The Present Crisis before the Rome “Summit”
- Suffering and attacks on the Church’s “Eldest Daughter”
- Mister McCarrick
- Fr. Z’s Kitchen: Shiny little fish!
- Interesting observation by @CCPecknold about laicization of McCarrick
- WDTPRS – Septuagesima Sunday: PRE-LENT BEGINS!
- Of Flaring Suns and Starry Nights
- A quick book plug: A Catholic Introduction to the Bible: The Old Testament
- Opportunity: R.I.P.
- POLL: Prayers after Mass
- “Know also this, that, in the last days, shall come dangerous times.”
- Do you know priests who are struggling, under attack? Terrific movement: Seven Sisters Apostolate
- Movement in the causes of Bl. John Henry Newman and Card. József Mindszenty
- ASK FATHER: During sick call, tea and biscuits before administering Communion
- Another look at Catholic/Islamic statement: “diversity of religions … are willed by God in His wisdom”
- Your Good News
- “Rumors that a certain prelate threatens his orthodox priests with institutionalization or laicization are not rumors… they are truth”
- BREAKING: Rubrics and color-blindness
- Card. Kasper attacks Card. Müller who publicly proclaimed Catholic doctrine
- Thoughts about ‘ad orientem’ worship and priests being bullied
- How many baptist pastors are married?
- 10 February – St. José Sánchez del Río, Martyr
- Fr. Z’s Kitchen: Coda alla Vaccinara with digressions into Roman stuff, like a new old confraternity
- TRANS-NEPTUNIAN COMET APPROACHES EARTH
- Your Sunday Sermon Notes
- PODCAzT 170: Card. Müller – Manifesto of Faith: “Let not your heart be troubled!”
- WDTPRS: 5th Sunday after Epiphany AND 5th Ordinary Sunday: Familial military or martial family?
- L’Affaire McCarrick: Soon to be “Mister”
Let us pray…
Grant unto thy Church, we beseech Thee, O merciful God, that She, being gathered together by the Holy Ghost, may be in no wise troubled by attack from her foes. O God, who by sin art offended and by penance pacified, mercifully regard the prayers of Thy people making supplication unto Thee,and turn away the scourges of Thine anger which we deserve for our sins. Almighty and Everlasting God, in whose Hand are the power and the government of every realm: look down upon and help the Christian people that the heathen nations who trust in the fierceness of their own might may be crushed by the power of thine Arm. Through our Lord Jesus Christ, Thy Son, who liveth and reigneth with Thee in the unity of the Holy Ghost, God, world without end. R. Amen.
This blog has to earn its keep!
PLEASE subscribe if it is useful.
That way I have steady income I can plan on, and you wind up regularly on my list of benefactors for whom I pray and for whom I periodically say Holy Mass.
For a one time donation...
I set up a
CONTINUE TO GIVE
account, which functions rather like PayPal. Some of you use it. Here is a QCode you can use with your smart phones. Try it!
Also, to receive a link to donate via Continue To Give using your smart phone SEND MESSAGE:
4827563 TO: 715-803-4772 (USA)
Some donations also come through CHASE. That works well. I don't think they take any percentage as fees.
New miscellaneous releases and events
Do you want to show some appreciation?
Yes, Fr. Z is taking ads…
A great hymnal…
Because it matters what children read…
I carry one of these super-strong rosaries in my spare mag pouch! The Swiss Guards have them too!
My "challenge coin" for my 25th anniversary of ordination in 2016.
Want one? I do exchanges with military and LEOs, etc. and you can make a donation.
Because you don’t know when you are going to need to move fast or get along without the supermarket…
PLEASE RESPOND. Pretty pleeeease?Loading ...
WDTPRS POLLLoading ...
Fr. Z’s stuff is everywhere
Help support Fr. Z’s Gospel of Life work at no cost to you. Do you need a Real Estate Agent? Calling these people is the FIRST thing you should do!
GREAT causes to support
Help Monks in Wyoming (coffee – UPDATED LINK) and Norcia (beer) and the wonderful "Soap Sisters" of Summit, NJ!
Please follow me on Twitter!
If you travel internationally, this is a super useful gizmo for your mobile internet data. I use one. If you get one through my link, I get data rewards.
Monthly Archives: January 2013
When the Wyoming Carmelites added K-Cups to their coffee offerings, they sold out fairly quickly. Their K-Cups are called “Monk Shots” and they are back! Click HERE! Available are Variety Pack Midnight Vigils Blend Breakfast Blend Mystic Monk Blend Cinnamon … Continue reading
From a reader: I’m planning on hatching chickens in the next couple of weeks. I’m using shipped eggs which have a higher mortality rate from being through the mail system. (but I simply can’t get what I want locally) Is … Continue reading
CNS has posted a video of an interview with the Theologian of the Papal Household, Fr. Wojciech Giertych, OP. He talks about male only priesthood. [wp_youtube]GfGJs-iFtS8[/wp_youtube]
From time to time I have asked you to pray for a seminarian, Philip Gerard Johnson, who has had an inoperable tumor in his brain. Here is an update: Medical Update Thanks for everyone’s prayers during my doctor visit on Thursday. … Continue reading
I have posted before about the Opus Bono Sacerdotii. They help priests who have no one else to whom they can turn. I know the people who started this organization and I have the highest confidence in them. I have … Continue reading
We had a presentation this morning, and some truly useful Q&A, followed by lunch. Now I’m happily homebound for a few days in the SPTDV. I warmly recommend this particular conference on exorcism to all priests and only those few … Continue reading
From a reader: While doing research I came across something that said that one of the faithful who knowingly receives a Sacrament from a priest without faculties commits a sin. I have always attended SSPX chapels and gone to confession … Continue reading
I have been saying for weeks now that the left has been hijacking pro-life language for their own ends. Right now, they are twisting their support for Pres. Obama (against people who “cling to guns or religion”) into a “prolife … Continue reading
First, some tools if the trade. That’s just a little exorcist humor. Today we are looking more closely at angelology. Angels and demons ARE REAL. More later.
My old friend, Most Rev. Alexander Sample, formerly Bishop of Marquette, has been appointed Archbishop of Portland! Congratulations to the people of Portland Vatican City, 29 January 2013 (VIS) – Today, the Holy Father appointed Bishop Alexander King Sample as … Continue reading
In the UK’s best Catholic weekly, the Catholic Herald, the Archbishop of San Francisco, Most Rev. Salvatore Cordileone, offered some interesting comments. Read the whole thing there, but here is something of interest concerning the older form of Holy Mass. … Continue reading
I suggested a project using Twitter HERE. Let’s create a “stack” of tweets during the day. Concentrate your effort on a day and single theme instead of various scatterings over days when they might not be noticed. Here is the collective tweet … Continue reading
The editor of the Fishwrap, the paper of record for schismatics and heretics now to be known as the National Schismatic Reporter, responded to the bishop of the place where they are headquartered. His Excellency Most Rev. Robert Finn called … Continue reading