BACK TO SCHOOL SHOPPING?
Please, come here first! Enter Amazon through my search box and I will get a small percentage of what you spend. (Pssst - Can't see the search box? Turn off your "ad-blocker" for this site!)
PS: I added Amazon Search Boxes for the UK and for Canada at the bottom of the blog page. Copy and paste titles I mention into those boxes and - BAZINGA! - results appear as if by magic. Kindle? HERE
Search Fr. Z’s Blog
- PNeri said Of course baseball is the spirt God loves most; th...
- Matilda P said Sal, Henry Edwards makes very good points. Just to...
- einkleinerknabe said Our pastor recently announced that beginning the f...
- stuart reiss said Mariana2 and Art Yes the Haka is quite a frighteni...
- KT127 said AnnTherese- In my family, my father was clearly t...
- Mike said At the final Sunday Mass of the outgoing rector, h...
- Matt Robare said Deo gratias. That reminded me of something I thoug...
- Boniface said There is an accent in Fr Bus’ last name that...
- Boniface said Fr. Anthony Bus (pronounced “boos” as...
- Mariana2 said The applause. It was after Mass had ended.
- Henry Edwards said Sal, As a TLM attender since before Vatican II, I&...
- wmeyer said That today, the Lord would not find 10 good men.
- sirlouis said The celebrant said that prayer has to be persisten...
- SaintJude6 said Goosebumps. I only wish the video had ended befor...
- RobS said Wow! Wasn’t 100% sold on Abp. Gomez given th...
- benedetta said I think it’s really a hallmark of old school...
- WYMiriam said “Kaine said, “I have a traditional Catholic...
- the little brother said “This is the time of those who have the hear...
- wised said All of the “traditional” (c)atholics w...
- pattif said I think you’ll find +Conley did this a coupl...
- LarryW2LJ said You know what’s really sad? I saw this quote...
- babochka69 said JesusFreak84: I’m happy for the wounded sol...
- SaintJude6 said I agree with rot brown on the necessary addition o...
- IloveJesus said mo7 wrote: “My Jewish classmates didn’t spe...
- Mike said Several day-job projects spinning up nicely (all a...
- Traductora said Just wanted to say I bought a KeepGo upon your ear...
- Fr. Thomas Kocik said Prayerful says: “… a person will only hear a...
- ddhue said Our son was accepted as a seminarian!
- LarryW2LJ said Not my quote – that was from historian and a...
- HighMass said We pray to God to have a next Pope like Cardinal B...
Without you, there is no blog.
There is a subscription form at the bottom of this page!
Art by D Burkart
- Aedificantium enim unusquisque gladio erat accinctus.
- Nehemiah 4:18
"Where priest and people together face the same way, what we have is a cosmic orientation and also in interpretation of the Eucharist in terms of resurrection and trinitarian theology. Hence it is also an interpretation in terms of parousia, a theology of hope, in which every Mass is an approach to the return of Christ."
Joseph Ratzinger - The Feast of Faith"In those situations where homosexual unions have been legally recognized or have been given the legal status and rights belonging to marriage, clear and emphatic opposition is a duty. ... If all Catholics are obliged to oppose the legal recognition of homosexual unions, Catholic politicians are obliged to do so in a particular way, in keeping with their responsibility as politicians." CDF 2003
Ham Radio Stuff
Fr. Z - W9FRZ - OFF
QRV on: 00m 00000
Check Echolink WB0YLE-R - OFF
"One of the few things in life you can be absolutely sure about is that, if Management tells you it doesn't like your Tone, you are getting something right."
"Latin is a precise, essential language. It will be abandoned, not because it is unsuitable for the new requirements of progress, but because the new men will not be suitable for it. When the age of demagogues and charlatans begins, a language like Latin will no longer be useful, and any oaf will be able to give a speech in public and talk in such a way that he will not be kicked off the stage. The secret to this will consist in the fact that, by making use of words that are general, elusive, and sound good, he will be able to speak for an hour without saying anything. With Latin, this is impossible."
- - Giovanni Guareschi
Support them with prayer and fasting.
CLICK and say your Daily Offering!
"We as Catholics have not properly combated (the culture) because we have not been taught our Catholic Faith, especially in the depth needed to address these grave evils of our time. This is a failure of catechesis both of children and young people that has been going on for fifty years. It is being addressed, but it needs much more radical attention... What has also contributed greatly to the situation is an exaltation of the virtue of tolerance which is falsely seen as the virtue which governs all other virtues. In other words, we should tolerate other people in their immoral actions to the extent that we seem also to accept the moral wrong. Tolerance is a virtue, but it is certainly not the principal virtue; the principal virtue is charity... Charity means speaking the truth. I have encountered it (not speaking the truth) many times myself as a priest and bishop. It is something we simply need to address. There is far too much silence — people do not want to talk about it because the topic is not 'politically correct.' But we cannot be silent any longer."
Raymond Card. Burke
Help the Sisters. They have a building project. Get great soap (gifts, etc.) while helping REAL nuns!
Help Monks in Wyoming (coffee) and Norcia (beer)!
Some OBLIGATORY reading…
Leave Voice Mail for Fr. Z
Let us pray…
Grant unto thy Church, we beseech Thee, O merciful God, that She, being gathered together by the Holy Ghost, may be in no wise troubled by attack from her foes. O God, who by sin art offended and by penance pacified, mercifully regard the prayers of Thy people making supplication unto Thee,and turn away the scourges of Thine anger which we deserve for our sins. Almighty and Everlasting God, in whose Hand are the power and the government of every realm: look down upon and help the Christian people that the heathen nations who trust in the fierceness of their own might may be crushed by the power of thine Arm. Through our Lord Jesus Christ, Thy Son, who liveth and reigneth with Thee in the unity of the Holy Ghost, God, world without end. R. Amen.
Check out the Cardinal Newman Society feed!
Yes, Fr. Z is taking ads…... and there will be nearly 1,000,000 page loads this month.
A great hymnal…
Find a Quality Realtor. Support the Gospel of Life!
If you, or someone you know, needs to buy or sell a house, office, or any kind of domestic or commercial property anywhere in the world, call Real Estate For Life on 1-877-LIFE-US1. They connect you with an expert agent with a proven track-record from a local franchised broker or strong independent. When the sale is completed, the agent gives a portion of their fee to Real Estate For Life as a referral fee. Real Estate For Life gives 80% of that fee to one of the pro-life organizations they work with: a house with a value of $150,000 means $1000 goes to the pro-life organization. It doesn't cost you anything.
And for your cybersecurity…
Mystic Monk Coffee also has TEA!
Because it matters what children read…
I carry one of these super-strong rosaries in my spare mag pouch! The Swiss Guards have them too!
Because you don’t know when you are going to need to move fast or get along without the supermarket…
My wish lists
Food For Thought
“The legalization of the termination of pregnancy is none other than the authorization given to an adult, with the approval of an established law, to take the lives of children yet unborn and thus incapable of defending themselves. It is difficult to imagine a more unjust situation, and it is very difficult to speak of obsession in a matter such as this, where we are dealing with a fundamental imperative of every good conscience — the defense of the right to life of an innocent and defenseless human being.”
- St. John Paul II
PLEASE RESPOND. Pretty pleeeease?Loading ...
WDTPRS POLLLoading ...
A morsel for thought…
"If your work is strong enough for someone to hate you, it's strong enough for someone to love you. The middle is what you should fear."
- Sean McCabe @seanwes
- BRICK BY BRICK: A Communion rail restored in a major, historic church
- Who is Sen. Tim Kaine as a Catholic?
- Your Good News
- Z-SWAG: HOLY MASS – TURN TOWARDS THE LORD AGAIN!
- Wherein Fr. Z becomes a fan of the Samoan Rugby Team
- SILENT NO LONGER: A priest speaks out!
- Mike Piazza – Baseball Hall of Fame Speech: “…the greatest gift a mother could give a child, the gift of my Catholic Faith.”
- Latin. Wherein Fr. Z rants.
- Your Sunday Sermon Notes
- CQ CQ CQ #HamRadio Saturday: Zuhlsdorf’s Law isn’t finished with me yet, CW, and Echolink
- Feminist v. Christian
- WDTPRS – 10th Sunday after Pentecost: Mercy does not mean turning a blind eye to Justice
- The blog, donations and you.
- GIRM WARS: Another front opens in Iowa
- Card. Burke on Islam and our choices for the future
- WDTPRS – 17th Ordinary Sunday: Sin-Teflon and Demon-Kevlar
- 22 July: Happy FEAST of St. Mary Magdalene
- NOTE TO READERS: Registration, comments, Snail Mail and Email
- “Forward!” he cried, showing them the crucifix, “Victory is ours.” – St. Lawrence of Brindisi
- Why aging liberals are so nasty and so frightened
- #gopconvention reminds me of two wonderful things
- Advice to new priests in first assignments who suffer under liberal pastors. Wherein Fr. Z rants.
- ASK FATHER: Is it a sin to laugh or joke when in need of confession?
- Why are certain people afraid of “ad orientem” worship?
- Implementing ‘ad orientem’ worship with charity, prudence and courage
- PODCAzT 149: Interview with Fr. Richard Heilman – Part 2
- Aspirants to Religious Life, Priesthood, DEBT, and You – ACTION ITEM!
- A US bishop “expects”, but doesn’t command, that Mass be said “facing the people”
- Your Sunday Sermon Notes
- The Church in Germany is crashing and burning
For your consideration…
"One of the most dangerous errors is that civilization is automatically bound to increase and spread. The lesson of history is the opposite; civilization is a rarity, attained with difficulty and easily lost. The normal state of humanity is barbarism, just as the normal surface of the planet is salt water. Land looms large in our imagination and civilization in history books, only because sea and savagery are to us less interesting."
- C.S. Lewis
More food for thought:
“I expect to die in bed, my successor will die in prison and his successor will die a martyr in the public square. His successor will pick up the shards of a ruined society and slowly help rebuild civilization, as the church has done so often in human history.”
Francis Card. George
Fr. Z’s stuff is everywhere
Please follow me on Twitter!
- "It will never be known what acts of cowardice have been committed for fear of not looking sufficiently progressive."
Charles Pierre Péguy Notre Patrie, 1905"If I ought to write the truth, I am of the mind that I ought to flee all meetings of bishops, because I have never seen any happy or satisfactory outcome to any council, nor one that has deterred evils more than it has occasioned their acceptance and growth."
St. Gregory Nazianzus ep. 131 - AD 382“We will conquer your Rome, break your crosses, and enslave your women. If we do not reach that time, then our children and grandchildren will reach it, and they will sell your sons as slaves at the slave market.”
Reading and gift ideas!
Monthly Archives: January 2013
From the onset, Fr. Z Kudos to His Excellency Most Rev. Bp. Thomas Olmsted of Phoenix for his new Pastoral Letter on CONFESSIONS! The letter is called “Apostles of Mercy” and it is directed to the Priests of the Diocese … Continue reading
Was there a good point from the sermon you heard at Mass this weekend? Let us know what it was.
From the Kansas City Star: Bishop Finn airs frustration over KC-based National Catholic Reporter Finn objects to editorial positions taken by the Kansas City-based newspaper. BY ALAN BAVLEY The Kansas City Star The bishop of the Catholic Diocese of Kansas … Continue reading
There is a phrase which is becoming more popular: I carry a gun – because a cop is too heavy. Here is a story from Milwaukee which a friend forwarded. Keep in mind that Milwaukee is not exactly a bastion … Continue reading
My trip to the nation’s Capitol has the painter Brumidi fresh in my mind. Here is some great news sent from a friend in New York City about more work by Brumidi together with a sacred event everyone in the … Continue reading
I am in Tulsa! There is a conference for priests on exorcism sponsored by the Diocese and Bp. Slattery which I have wanted to attend for the last three years. The evening began, however, with sung (Novus Ordo) vespers in … Continue reading
Over at the Fishwrap, the National Schismatic Reporter (the paper of record for heretics which has hijacked the name “Catholic”), failed-priest Eugene Cullen Kennedy wrote a thought – not a very good thought – about the Irish heretic Fr. Flannery, … Continue reading
I was busy yesterday and missed this at News.va. The Holy Father changed the “competence” of some dicasteries of the Roman Curia. He moved responsibility for Catechesis from the Congregation for the Clergy to the Pontifical Council for the New Evangelization … Continue reading
The March For Life was a great experience. I will seriously consider doing it again next year. At the airport I was able to enjoy for the first time the fruits of TSA Pre-check, which made security seem almost like … Continue reading
At the site of the UK’s best Catholic weekly, The Catholic Herald, there is an interesting piece by a priest who gives tips for a better celebration of Holy Mass, am improved ars celebrandi. There are tips for the priest … Continue reading
“Finn was too kind to them.” That is Prof. Ed Peters, canonist over at his fine blog, In The Light Of The Law. Peters has written about the Bp. Robert Finn’s column about the National catholic Fishwrap… Reporter. Bp. Finn, … Continue reading
I am looking for March for Life photos of the banners and contingents from the Fishwrap (National catholic Reporter), the Catholic Health Association, the Nuns on the Bus, the Leadership Conference of Women Religious. Anyone? Photos?
Friday begins with Mass at Old St Mary’s in the Usus Antiquior in honor of Nellie Gray. Confessions are being heard during Mass, which is always nice to see. It is also great to see young people with March for … Continue reading
The National Catholic Reporter (aka Fishwrap) conspired with others who are openly hostile to the Catholic Church to intimidate His Excellency Most Rev. Robert Finn into silence. The fact is, the NCR is not a “Catholic” paper or news source. … Continue reading