Search Fr. Z’s Blog
SHOPPING ONLINE? Please, always come here first!
Enter Amazon through my link. Use the search bar below. Fr Z will get a small percentage of what you spend.
Here's Fr. Z's "catholic" search for Amazon: US HERE - UK HERE And you do need a Kindle! - HERE
“This blog is like a fusion of the Baroque ‘salon’ with its well-tuned harpsichord around which polite society gathered for entertainment and edification and, on the other hand, a Wild West “saloon” with its out-of-tune piano and swinging doors, where everyone has a gun and something to say. Nevertheless, we try to point our discussions back to what it is to be Catholic in this increasingly difficult age, to love God, and how to get to heaven.” – Fr. Z
YOUR RECENT COMMENTS
- Marius2k4: At least in September, Naples is hot. Pompeii was awesome, however.
- HighMass: If Paul VI wept then why did he not reverse the Mass?
- Carrie: Wow, time goes fast! I was sitting at a parish staff meeting when someone received a phone call with the news. The array of intense reactions/ emotions around the table was something to...
- David Collins: Thank you! I never heard of this! Please God, may I receive this Apostolic Pardon. Wow!
- dallenl: Excellent. On a side note , it kind of reminds me of the adulation given to Billy Graham on his passing. He emphasized a “dec ision for ChristR 21; but let denominati onal diffe...
- David Collins: I converted to the Church in the 90s at a parish that had an indult Sunday latin mass and vernacular weekday and Sunday masses. The richness of the prayers in the St. Joseph Daily...
- JustaSinner: How about a Kindle Fire 8 HD, Father? I’d recommend the child̵ 7;s edition because it is made stronger 8212;some sort of LCD bumpers, and has a cool drop proof grippy...
- semperficatholic: Petitionin g Our Lady of Loreto
- iamlucky13: This post affected one of the more startling realizatio ns I’ve had that despite being raised in a very dedicated Catholic family and well catechized , being born over a decade...
- HvonBlumenthal: Pilate saith to him: What is truth? And when he said this, he went out again to the Jews, and saith to them: I find no cause in him. But you have a custom that I should release one...
- Andrew: Mezzogiorn o edition also known as “men zijurnu 221; edition.
- TonyO: What I don’t understand is this: we know (from reputable testimonie s such as Fr Wiltgen’s The Rhine Flows Into the Tiber) that Vatican II was manipulate d. … namely that the mis-na...
- JGavin: The appalling thing is this cowardice. He had the authority. He had the sense that this reform a was misguided yet he signed off on it. This is cowardice! This is akin to Peter̵ 7;s...
- Amateur Scholastic: I don’ t remember watching it — I wasn’ ;t Catholic at the time, and had no idea I’d ever become one. But a high Anglican friend told me on MSN Messeng...
- Papal Fan: At that time, I was in my last year of middle school and I had no idea who or what a pope was, despite being raised in a catholic family. Even though I missed Benedict XVI’ s...
- jilly4life: Indeed, I remember where I was. I was a freshman going to my symposium class at a certain university on the plains of Minnesota. There were some benefits to going to a Catholic colle...
- acardnal: Thanks Fr. Z.
- jilly4life: acardnal, Leaflet Missal has a recording of GounodR 17;s St. Cecilia Mass. Here: https://ww w.leafleto nline.com/ gounod-at- st-agnes-c d And a Christmas CD: https://ww w.leafl...
- acardnal: Just checked Leaflet Missal website. Looks like they have four different audio cd’s by Msgr Schuler for sale.
- acardnal: I should add that the sung Credo with that magnificen t cathedral organ was unforgetta ble!
- ChesterFrank: At least one reader is hoping you take and post plenty of photograph s of southern Italy and offer insightful commentary on all aspects of its culture.
- acardnal: In the 1990s, I attended a Human Life Internatio nal (founded by the late, great Fr. Paul Marx) annual convention in St. Paul, MN . In connection with the convention , there was a sung...
- chantgirl: https://st ream.org/t he-conspir acy-behind -the-elect ion-of-pop e-francis/ And these guys were waiting for him. I don’ t know about the rest of you, but I feel less and less...
- Joe in Canada: Does the Church teach that if someone receives the Apostolic Pardon with the proper dispositio ns etc they go right to heaven? If so, why wouldnR 17;t those people be automat...
- Julia_Augusta: I hope you have enough time to visit the Capella Palatina in Palermo and the cathedral in Monreale (outside Palermo), as well as the baroque towns of Noto, Ragusa and Modica; Sirac...
CLICK and say your daily offerings!
- Felix Natalis Dies Roma!
- My View For Awhile: Mezzogiorno Edition
- 20 April 2007 – Msgr. Richard Schuler – RIP
- 19 April 2005: Benedict XVI elected
- “And Paul VI wept”. More fascinating notes about the Pope and the liturgical reform.
- Wherein Fr. Z rants about the Church as “field hospital”. Brutal horror, heroic wonder.
- WDTPRS: 4th Sunday of Easter (2002MR) – Mighty humble Shepherd, humble mighty flock
- HUGE Fr. Z kudos to a reader who wrote to bishops about the important Apostolic Pardon
- My View For A While: Mystery City
- Connection of home-schooling and entering seminary
- ASK FATHER: “My 4 year old insists on praying in Latin.” Latin resources for young children?
- A bishop, black vestments and refreshing commonsense!
- ASK FATHER: Priest Mumbles Words of Absolution. Fr. Z says: FATHERS! Stop being JACKASSES and do it right!
- Shamefaced self-promotion with warm thanks to benefactors
- “If it’s just a symbol, then to hell with it!” Wherein a Lutheran tells it as it is and then Fr. Z rants a lot.
- Your Sunday Sermon Notes – Good Shepherd – AUDIO
- ASK FATHER: Communion twice in a day. But is Communion under both species already twice?
- ASK FATHER: Catholic betrothal rite, ceremony
- WDTPRS – 2nd Sunday after Easter (TLM): joy, devastation and rising
- BOOKS RECEIVED: Two VERY different DAUGHTERS!
- I’ve decided. I’m for arming teachers and the Rule of Law
- Fr. Murray and Prof. Royal opine on latest developments
- 28 April – PONTIFICAL TLM at Shrine of the Immaculate Conception
- St. Michael the Extremely Cool Samurai Archangel, defend us in battle!
- “O my God, make them like a wheel; * and as stubble before the wind.” Consolation from a Psalm.
- “Why Trappist ale tastes better”
- WDTPRS – 3rd Sunday of Easter (Novus Ordo): a candle is honey sweet summons
- @austinruse on “Slippery Jim” @JamesMartinSJ and his non-explanation explanation
- IMPORTANT from @HeartbeatIntl – abortion pill reversal method rescues babies without bad effects, physicians network
- Gallup Poll points to future demographic disaster. Wherein Fr. Z rants.
Let us pray…
Grant unto thy Church, we beseech Thee, O merciful God, that She, being gathered together by the Holy Ghost, may be in no wise troubled by attack from her foes. O God, who by sin art offended and by penance pacified, mercifully regard the prayers of Thy people making supplication unto Thee,and turn away the scourges of Thine anger which we deserve for our sins. Almighty and Everlasting God, in whose Hand are the power and the government of every realm: look down upon and help the Christian people that the heathen nations who trust in the fierceness of their own might may be crushed by the power of thine Arm. Through our Lord Jesus Christ, Thy Son, who liveth and reigneth with Thee in the unity of the Holy Ghost, God, world without end. R. Amen.
My "challenge coin" for my 25th anniversary of ordination in 2016.
Want one? I do exchanges with military and LEOs, etc. and you can make a donation.
Coat of Arms by D Burkart
I travel a good deal. As I get older, it takes more of a toll. My main airline - sigh - is Delta. Were I to get some Gift Cards for Delta, I could more easily upgrade for longer flights. I'm just sayin'. I'd be much obliged. HERE
New miscellaneous releases and events
Yes, Fr. Z is taking ads…
A great hymnal…
Because it matters what children read…
I carry one of these super-strong rosaries in my spare mag pouch! The Swiss Guards have them too!
Because you don’t know when you are going to need to move fast or get along without the supermarket…
PLEASE RESPOND. Pretty pleeeease?Loading ...
WDTPRS POLLLoading ...
Fr. Z’s stuff is everywhere
Help support Fr. Z’s Gospel of Life work at no cost to you. Do you need a Real Estate Agent? Calling these people is the FIRST thing you should do!
GREAT causes to support
Help Monks in Wyoming (coffee – UPDATED LINK) and Norcia (beer) and the wonderful "Soap Sisters" of Summit, NJ!
Please follow me on Twitter!
If you travel internationally, this is a super useful gizmo for your mobile internet data. I use one. If you get one through my link, I get data rewards.
A book by an old friend…
Monthly Archives: January 2013
I am in Tulsa! There is a conference for priests on exorcism sponsored by the Diocese and Bp. Slattery which I have wanted to attend for the last three years.
The evening began, however, with sung (Novus Ordo) vespers in the … Continue reading
Over at the Fishwrap, the National Schismatic Reporter (the paper of record for heretics which has hijacked the name “Catholic”), failed-priest Eugene Cullen Kennedy wrote a thought – not a very good thought – about the Irish heretic Fr. Flannery, … Continue reading
I was busy yesterday and missed this at News.va. The Holy Father changed the “competence” of some dicasteries of the Roman Curia.
He moved responsibility for Catechesis from the Congregation for the Clergy to the Pontifical Council for the New Evangelization by … Continue reading
The March For Life was a great experience. I will seriously consider doing it again next year.
At the airport I was able to enjoy for the first time the fruits of TSA Pre-check, which made security seem almost like … Continue reading
At the site of the UK’s best Catholic weekly, The Catholic Herald, there is an interesting piece by a priest who gives tips for a better celebration of Holy Mass, am improved ars celebrandi. There are tips for the priest … Continue reading
“Finn was too kind to them.”
That is Prof. Ed Peters, canonist over at his fine blog, In The Light Of The Law.
Peters has written about the Bp. Robert Finn’s column about the National catholic Fishwrap… Reporter. Bp. Finn, bishop of … Continue reading
I am looking for March for Life photos of the banners and contingents from the Fishwrap (National catholic Reporter), the Catholic Health Association, the Nuns on the Bus, the Leadership Conference of Women Religious.
Friday begins with Mass at Old St Mary’s in the Usus Antiquior in honor of Nellie Gray.
Confessions are being heard during Mass, which is always nice to see.
It is also great to see young people with March for Life gear … Continue reading
The National Catholic Reporter (aka Fishwrap) conspired with others who are openly hostile to the Catholic Church to intimidate His Excellency Most Rev. Robert Finn into silence.
The fact is, the NCR is not a “Catholic” paper or news source. That … Continue reading