Search Fr. Z’s Blog
SHOPPING ONLINE? Please, always come here first!
Enter Amazon through my link. Use the search bar below. Fr Z will get a small percentage of what you spend.
Here's Fr. Z's "catholic" search for Amazon: US HERE - UK HERE And you do need a Kindle! - HERE
“This blog is like a fusion of the Baroque ‘salon’ with its well-tuned harpsichord around which polite society gathered for entertainment and edification and, on the other hand, a Wild West “saloon” with its out-of-tune piano and swinging doors, where everyone has a gun and something to say. Nevertheless, we try to point our discussions back to what it is to be Catholic in this increasingly difficult age, to love God, and how to get to heaven.” – Fr. Z
YOUR RECENT COMMENTS
- TonyO: If you read up on military or quasi-mili tary operations in space, you will without doubt come across a broad stream of thinking that we (or rather, “we& #8221;) should not “...
- Kenneth Wolfe: ” Some would not vest this liturgical critter in a maniple. 8221; Count the Vatican / PCED among the “som e”. An instituted acolyte may function as a STRAW...
- GHP: Admittedly , the “Doo r GunnerR 21; verbiage was photoshopp ed. (Okay … so was the Space Priest one.) More posters here: https://ma rs.nasa.go v/multimed ia/resourc es/mars...
- Unwilling: “Mas s each morning, TLM, NO and Orthodox Divine Liturgy and Protestant prayer service each day.” ; Take that, WCC!
- Kathleen10: haha, very cool!
- bobbird: Fr. Z’s boyish enthusiasm is understand able. Space is already militarize d anyway with spy satellites and who-knows- what else that is orbiting the planet. However, expanding WAR...
- VP: The space suit is a great look, but no Vatican flag?
- teomatteo: That picture of Fr. Z in the spacesuit? well, it looks staged to me. (typical NASA)
- John Grammaticus: finally starship toopers :) Shame I was born on the opposite side of the pond
- Andrew: Time is greater than space.
- StabatMater: As per straw subdeacon (simple married layman never instituted as acolyte): “In this case, he does not wear the maniple, nor pour the water at the offertory. ” Nor should...
- Semper Gumby: robtbrown wrote: “For me theology is ordered toward the contemplat ion of God–that is prayer. 221; Great point. As for the Harvard grad who said: “ 230;theolo gy is...
- Sandy: My first introducti on to the WCC was in the Wanderer many years ago; it should raise red flags for any who hear about it. It’s interestin g that these days the veil is lifting on much...
- Fr. Kelly: My mistake. That was meant to read, “sub deaconR 21;
- Antonin: GK Chesterton styled Catholic when it comes to economics. “Big Business and State Socialism are very much alike, especially Big Business.” “From the standpoint of any sane person, the...
- Semper Gumby: Excellent, Acton University is underway. A look at the website reveals an impressive roster of faculty, and this interestin g lecture: http://uni versity.ac ton.org/co urse/st...
- cwillia1: In today̵ 7;s world the main sources of disinforma tion are domestic. Soviet Communist propaganda has been replaced by domestic communist propaganda .
- Fr. Kelly: Atra Dicenda, Rubra Agenda a straw subdeacon is what we call a man who is not ordained as a subdeacon (or instituted as an acolyte) who, in a given instance fulfills the role of a...
- JARay: I am an Instituted Acolyte and have been so for 42 years. I do live in Australia and not the USA. I have never had the chance to act as a Subdeacon but I would have loved having the chance...
- Atra Dicenda, Rubra Agenda: There are ritual difference s between a subdeacon (which basically almost never exists now outside of Trad groups) and a straw subdeacon though, yes?
- ScottSenffner: I wish I could have gone to this conference . I have been part of the Acton Institute for many years and would love someday to mingle with all of you.
- Fr. Kelly: In my diocese of Lincoln, we have a regular program of installati on of permanent lectors and acolytes, following the stipulatio ns of Ministeria Quaedam as Fr. Z pointed out. Pope Paul...
- Augustine Thompson O.P.: I agree with Fr. Z. Mysteria Quaedam “abolished ” the “major” order of subdeacon, and provided that “the functions heretofore assigned to the subdeacon are entrusted to the...
- robtbrown: Another eggplant pasta recipe, this from Ormond Plantation , just west of New Orleans and a few miles from Oak Alley. Eggplant Maurepas Eggplant slices lightly breaded and fried served...
- robtbrown: I recommend The Intellectu al Life by Sertillang es. It can be downloaded pdf.
CLICK and say your daily offerings!
- JUST TOO COOL: SPACE FORCE!
- ASK FATHER: What can the acolyte do and wear?
- Day 1 #ActonU – Getting Started – Days and Deaths
- “Disinformation” and some notes about the World Council of Churches
- Catholic? Why?
- “Perdonamose!” Midsummer Snails, John’s Birthday Feast and You.
- Fr. Z’s Kitchen: The South
- Pres. Trump and the Brown Scapular
- WDTPRS – 4th Sunday after Pentecost: “HEY YOU!” *smack*
- Your Sunday Sermon Notes
- Surprise article at Commonweal about participation in the Traditional Latin Mass
- Speaking of Eucharistic Processions…
- WDTPRS: 11th Ordinary Sunday – ‘firmness’ and ‘infirmity, ‘intention’ and ‘action’
- QUIZ: What is this thing? – SOLVED!
- “The finest rosaries I have ever seen” have… returned! – UPDATES
- GREEN! Photos of green vestments for Solemn Mass in production, and a pitch
- 14 June – Elisha, Old Testament Prophet: salt, bears and you.
- READER FEEDBACK to post: Why we Say The Black and Do The Red
- ASK FATHER: Validity of sacraments from a schismatic priest
- A great restoration @CathedralStPaul
- Terrific photos of traditional rite ordination in England!
- Concerning @JamesMartinSJ talking at Vatican @LaityFamilyLife sponsored @WMOF2018
- BEER @MONKSOFNORCIA PROGRESS
- Your Sunday Sermon Note Belated
- Are you downsizing? Be careful!
- Just to put your day into perspective
- ASK FATHER: Celebrate Prudence and not “Pride”!
- Why we Say The Black and Do The Red
- Disturbing short film “The Confession” that somehow won Catholic award
- Father’s Day gift idea – from the “hearts”
Let us pray…
Grant unto thy Church, we beseech Thee, O merciful God, that She, being gathered together by the Holy Ghost, may be in no wise troubled by attack from her foes. O God, who by sin art offended and by penance pacified, mercifully regard the prayers of Thy people making supplication unto Thee,and turn away the scourges of Thine anger which we deserve for our sins. Almighty and Everlasting God, in whose Hand are the power and the government of every realm: look down upon and help the Christian people that the heathen nations who trust in the fierceness of their own might may be crushed by the power of thine Arm. Through our Lord Jesus Christ, Thy Son, who liveth and reigneth with Thee in the unity of the Holy Ghost, God, world without end. R. Amen.
My "challenge coin" for my 25th anniversary of ordination in 2016.
Want one? I do exchanges with military and LEOs, etc. and you can make a donation.
Coat of Arms by D Burkart
I travel a good deal. As I get older, it takes more of a toll. My main airline - sigh - is Delta. Were I to get some Gift Cards for Delta, I could more easily upgrade for longer flights. I'm just sayin'. I'd be much obliged. HERE
New miscellaneous releases and events
Yes, Fr. Z is taking ads…
A great hymnal…
Because it matters what children read…
I carry one of these super-strong rosaries in my spare mag pouch! The Swiss Guards have them too!
Because you don’t know when you are going to need to move fast or get along without the supermarket…
PLEASE RESPOND. Pretty pleeeease?Loading ...
WDTPRS POLLLoading ...
Fr. Z’s stuff is everywhere
Help support Fr. Z’s Gospel of Life work at no cost to you. Do you need a Real Estate Agent? Calling these people is the FIRST thing you should do!
GREAT causes to support
Help Monks in Wyoming (coffee – UPDATED LINK) and Norcia (beer) and the wonderful "Soap Sisters" of Summit, NJ!
Please follow me on Twitter!
If you travel internationally, this is a super useful gizmo for your mobile internet data. I use one. If you get one through my link, I get data rewards.
A book by an old friend…
Monthly Archives: January 2013
I have been saying for a while now that the liberal catholic left’s spittle-flecked interest in stricter control has little or nothing to do with a true pro-life agenda. Fishwrap (aka National catholic Reporter) and their ilk have hijacked the … Continue reading
Prof. Ed Peters, canonist (whom I still think is wrong about a question concerning Mass obligations – but I digress), has posted something instructive about catholic politicians who truly need some medicinal help from Holy Mother Church.
We enter in medias … Continue reading
I arrived in the nation’s capital. At the airport with Michael Voris, Fr Frank Pavone, and Fr Nicholson.
I like that my hotel has gargoyles.
I just finished lunch with authoress and speaker Dawn Eden.
Now to the portrait gallery.
Tonight … who … Continue reading
[Watch this for updates. Apparently there is something after the Pontifical Mass that may conflict for some people.]
Since there is going to be a Pontifical Mass (Usus Antiquior) at Old St. Mary’s in Washington DC. (5th and H Sts. NW), this … Continue reading
Over at Fishwrap I was amused to see Michael Sean Winters go after Nicholas Hahn of the far more serious Crisis Magazine who opined that the US bishops and papal spokesman Fr. Lombardi ought to butt out of the gun-control … Continue reading
May I ask all of you to ask God, through the intercession of Mary, Mother of God, to bless the people participating in the March for Life in Washington DC with good and clement weather?
Vatican Insider has something today about some Lutherans who are getting nervous about the Holy Father establishing an Ordinariate for Lutherans, along the lines of that which he established for Anglicans.
“A Lutheran ordinariate? That’s a bad sign”
An ordinariate for Lutherans … Continue reading
The Congregation for the Doctrine of the Faith’s process is slow and patient and respectful, to a fault, when certain people and their odd theological notions come under study. It takes a lot to get scrutinized by the CDF in … Continue reading
For your Just Too Cool file.
I noticed this during the stomach turning broadcast of the President’s inauguration, but here is a post with a photo. Check out First Things:
Kevin Walsh of the University of Richmond School of Law writes:
The twitterverse is … Continue reading
“…assist with Thy Holy Spirit of counsel and fortitude the President of these United States, that his administration may be conducted in righteousness, and be eminently useful to Thy people over whom he presides; by encouraging due respect for virtue … Continue reading
I was informed that recently His Eminence Daniel Card. DiNardo of Galveston-Houston delivered the annual Carl J. Peter Lecture at the Pontifical North American College. His topic: “Preaching With The Fathers Of The Church”.
This, of course, is of great interest … Continue reading
I have a few favors to ask.
1. If you are so inclined, please consider leaving some voicemail which I might … might… be able to use in PODCAzTs. I resolved with the new year to make more. It is fun to … Continue reading
Do you have some good news in your life to share?