Seminarian with brain tumor – good news!

From time to time I have asked you to pray for a seminarian, Philip Gerard Johnson, who has had an inoperable tumor in his brain.

Here is an update:

Medical Update

Thanks for everyone’s prayers during my doctor visit on Thursday. Since I stopped treatments last Summer and the tumor has remained stable since that time, the doctor is convinced that the tumor is now in remission. Not completely cured, but not growing either. There is still a mass in my brain, but there are no signs of active cancer cells or growth right now.

The doctor did warn that this type of tumor typically grows again (branching off from the original tumor), but pointed out that I am already in the “long-term survival” range for this type of tumor (Anaplastic Astrocytoma), so the fact that I have few symptoms right now means that statistically, my expected survival from now on should be measured in years and not months. Overall, great news!

Please continue to remember me and all who suffer from cancer in your prayers! I will be praying a 9-day Novena of Thanksgiving to Our Lady of Lourdes for this good news. Please join if you would like! HERE

Non nobis and Te Deum!

This entry was posted in Just Too Cool, Non Nobis and Te Deum, Pray For A Miracle, Seminarians and Seminaries and tagged , . Bookmark the permalink.

15 Responses to Seminarian with brain tumor – good news!

1. wanda says:

To God be the glory, indeed. I’ve been praying for sometime now for Phillip. I pray too that he may attain his heart’s desire to be ordained a Priest. Thank you Fr. Z. for the good news.

2. benedetta says:

Wonderful news. Thank God.

3. mamajen says:

That is indeed wonderful news! God must have some important plans for him. I hope it continues to stay in remission.

4. HighMass says:

PRAISE BE TO GOD!

Let us pray for all preparing for the sacred Priesthood.

Thank You Jesus!

5. Bea says:

Praise the Lord for answered prayers.
    Is there any way, Father, that you can leave that novena on the side bar, so we can say it when we log on?
    Thanks

6. Allan S. says:

I clicked through and did some research, but cannot locate the most appropriate mailing address to which I could send a card and note. Does anyone know the seminary address at which Mr. Johnson could be reached? It looks like he may be at St. Charles Borromeo Seminary, but that’s in Pennsylvania and he is a diocesan seminarian for the Diocese of Raleigh, NC.

7. heway says:

This is wonderful news. I don’t know where to put this, but today our Bishop James Wall, 2nd youngest bishop in the US, is being operated for a cancerous tumor on his thyroid. Please pray for a successful surgery and good outcome.

8. tealady24 says:

Thanks for the update on Philip. Such heartening news. My prayers are for his continued return to good health.

9. Vox Laudis says:

@Allan–St. Charles Borromeo is the principal seminary for the Diocese of Raleigh; the ordinary, Bp. Burbidge, was the seminary’s rector a while ago. Some of the seminarians do a portion of their seminary work in Mexico City (about half the Catholics in the diocese are Spanish speakers).

Mail addressed in care of the diocesan vocations director would certainly reach Philip.

10. Sid Cundiff in NC says:

Psalm 150.

11. Allan S. says:

Thank you…I have written short prayer cards to both Mr. Johnson and Bp. Wall.

12. oldCatholigirl says:

I have asked for the intercession of the Servant of God Francis Cardinal Van Thuan in five cases of cancer over the past three years. Philip Johnson’s is the fourth to go into remission , laus Deo.
    Hope I can remember to do the novena every day.

13. Mariana says:

That’s great!

14. Mom2301 says:

Fabulous news! This reminds me to thank any and all of you who said a prayer for my dad who also has a brain tumor. He had his 6 month MRI and it showed “no significant growth”. Clearly Fr. Z’s readers have some serious prayer power!