Search Fr. Z’s Blog
SHOPPING ONLINE? Please, always come here first!
Enter Amazon through my link. Use the search bar below. Fr Z will get a small percentage of what you spend.
Here's Fr. Z's "catholic" search for Amazon: US HERE - UK HERE And you do need a Kindle! - HERE
“This blog is like a fusion of the Baroque ‘salon’ with its well-tuned harpsichord around which polite society gathered for entertainment and edification and, on the other hand, a Wild West “saloon” with its out-of-tune piano and swinging doors, where everyone has a gun and something to say. Nevertheless, we try to point our discussions back to what it is to be Catholic in this increasingly difficult age, to love God, and how to get to heaven.” – Fr. Z
Coat of Arms by D Burkart
YOUR RECENT COMMENTS
- Julia_Augusta: EmilB, I agree that abortion on demand is not the answer. But the Pill is, for many women. They have a husband who refuses to control himself. She is required to “submit to her...
- GM Thobe: It is important to note that marriage has as a primary end the procreatio n and education of children, and as subordinat e ends mutual aid and the quieting of concupisce nce. So begett...
- KateD: I inform my children that priests are princes of the Kingdom of Heaven right here on Earth. And… Jesus said in Heaven there is no marriage or divorce, so isn’ t it appropriat e...
- Fr. John Zuhlsdorf: southernpr iest: You might try Archbp. Carroll 217;s great prayer! HERE
- southernpriest: Beautiful prayer for priests, and I am going to put it in my bulletin. We recently had a past pastor, and a friend of mine, removed for accusation s with a young man; so it is even...
- iPadre: I think the left out two words! “Dis regard for” Humanae Vitae̵ 7;s ban on contracept ion causes human suffering. Think of all the young people who have become intrenched in...
- KateD: Omigosh! Chesterton 63! Right?!? Respectful ly, Kevin Cardinal Ferrall, is mistaken. I tell my children they will be called to either religious or married life. What is most important is to...
- hwriggles4: Here’ ;s another thing too, and good priests notice this: Catholic marriages are down considerab ly. Dioceses often keep statistics on this. Here are a few observatio ns as to why:...
- Ave Maria: These writers and this paper are a scandal and a scourge upon the earth and they lead souls astray which is gravely sinful.
- thomistking: @Julia_Aug usta: Catholics aren’ ;t consequent ialists. No amount of bemoaning consequenc es or what the clergy preach about changes that Catholics believe some acts can never be...
- EmilB: Julia_Augu sta, you make a valid point. That situation MUST be addressed in the areas of the world where that culture is embedded. Women are not to be abused in any way. We, as good Christ...
- thomistking: ‘Mos t priests were taught three models of female sexuality: the pure and holy virgin, the chaste mother who only engages in sex for the sake of conceiving a child, or the wanton...
- Kevin: I am currently reading “The Sayings of the Desert Fathers: The Alphabetic al Collection ”. This is a quote from St. Anthony the Great from the 4th Century. “A time is coming when...
- Joy65: Praying for the future of our Catholic Church that ALL Priests will be good, holy devout and be serving God and Neighbor not themselves . As I always do daily praying for ALL Pries...
- EmilB: Facing complexity in decision making?! Join the club sister! Try being a man some time. A straight man. With boys to raise. In this current cultural cesspool.
- Julia_Augusta: I know where this anger comes from. I grew up in a predominan tly Catholic country where abortion is still banned and where there is no divorce to this day. Here’s what it’s like:...
- dbf223: “The number of conservati ve or traditiona l bishops being appointed will probably drop, thus creating a slowly growing identity rift between faithful and their local chief pastors...
- frjimt: A great time to begin the novena to st anne… ; Starting July 17th… ;26th
- cantrix: EF Mass: Why did the Lord commend the cheating steward? Because he was assiduous and careful in obtaining his goals. Do we work that persistent ly on our spiritual goals? Father also spoke...
- MjMcC: “ind ividual conscience ” You keep using that word. I do not think it means what you think it means.
- Ms. M-S: This post brought to mind the image of pruning in a vineyard to encourage the fruitful branches. If you want to see (and hear) the future of the Church, go to a TLM.
- mepoindexter: Our diocese just appointed our EF priest as full-time “Dio cesian Administra tor for the Extraordin ary Form” ;. For us this could be described as “Goo d news” ;...
- Sandy: Praying the Memorare on this feast day of Our Lady of Mt. Carmel. May Our Mother help her priest sons, you too Father Z.
- Il Ratzingeriano: A holy priest who embraces celibacy and the ChurchR 17;s teachings concerning sexuality can dispassion ately present marriage in all its beauty and as such is uniquely qualif...
- Fr. Kelly: Elizabeth D, please allow me to express profound thanks for the spiritual insights you have provided for us in these comments. With you, I hold that an order of penitents might add to...
CLICK and say your daily offerings!
- Cobblestones, new vestments, and swag for Zed Heads
- ACTION ITEM! Spiritual Bouquet for Bp. Morlino
- More shallow, angry, cliché feminist rubbish from Fishwrap
- The demographics of church participation are shifting.
- ACTION ITEM! Urgent prayer request for a priest
- Your Sunday Sermon Notes
- “St Swithin’s day if thou be fair…”
- What priests can – with credibility – do in marriage preparation
- French stones and soutanes
- US Association of Consecrated Virgins condemns confusing new rules from Holy See
- What could possibly go wrong?
- ¡Hagan lío! in Poland. Young, and raising hell…. correction… razing Hell.
- WDTPRS – 15th Ordinary Sunday: We can stray off the path to the right or to the left.
- 12 July: Sts. Louis Martin and Marie-Azélie Guérin
- Does “Beans” @MassimoFaggioli undermine ‘Humanae vitae’?
- ASK FATHER: Mom baptized my child in the bathtub
- INTERESTING UPDATE – Pope Francis phones Gianni Vattimo, philosopher of “weak thought”
- SSPX ELECTS NEW SUPERIOR GENERAL – UPDATED
- Ex ore infantium perfecisti laudem
- ASK FATHER: Should a priest have a day off?
- ASK FATHER: Traditional Latin Mass in a Protestant church?
- Madame Defarge (@MichaelSWinters) is upset that people don’t find the Terror – applied to real people today – very funny.
- A little bright spot for your day, a discrete packet of energy for your mind.
- Fr. Perrone: The greatest weapon within the grasp of every Catholic is the keeping of a well-ordered soul
- “We have to learn how to be Roman priests again.” Wherein Fr. Z rants.
- Left freaks out over SCOTUS pick. Hilarious tweets ensue.
- New FSSP Superior General elected, SSPX is gathered, CSJC … we shall see.
- A mosque at the site of the Battle of Tours!
- Your Sunday Sermon Notes
- 07/07/07 – Summorum Pontificum 11 years on – WORK HARDER!
Let us pray…
Grant unto thy Church, we beseech Thee, O merciful God, that She, being gathered together by the Holy Ghost, may be in no wise troubled by attack from her foes. O God, who by sin art offended and by penance pacified, mercifully regard the prayers of Thy people making supplication unto Thee,and turn away the scourges of Thine anger which we deserve for our sins. Almighty and Everlasting God, in whose Hand are the power and the government of every realm: look down upon and help the Christian people that the heathen nations who trust in the fierceness of their own might may be crushed by the power of thine Arm. Through our Lord Jesus Christ, Thy Son, who liveth and reigneth with Thee in the unity of the Holy Ghost, God, world without end. R. Amen.
My "challenge coin" for my 25th anniversary of ordination in 2016.
Want one? I do exchanges with military and LEOs, etc. and you can make a donation.
New miscellaneous releases and events
Yes, Fr. Z is taking ads…
A great hymnal…
Because it matters what children read…
I carry one of these super-strong rosaries in my spare mag pouch! The Swiss Guards have them too!
Because you don’t know when you are going to need to move fast or get along without the supermarket…
PLEASE RESPOND. Pretty pleeeease?Loading ...
WDTPRS POLLLoading ...
Fr. Z’s stuff is everywhere
Help support Fr. Z’s Gospel of Life work at no cost to you. Do you need a Real Estate Agent? Calling these people is the FIRST thing you should do!
GREAT causes to support
Help Monks in Wyoming (coffee – UPDATED LINK) and Norcia (beer) and the wonderful "Soap Sisters" of Summit, NJ!
Please follow me on Twitter!
If you travel internationally, this is a super useful gizmo for your mobile internet data. I use one. If you get one through my link, I get data rewards.
Monthly Archives: February 2013
I am sure an official translation will come out soon, if not already, but I wanted to savor the last official words of Pope Benedict XVI. I did my own, below. The last off-the-cuff remarks at the window at Castel … Continue reading
We are now in the state of the Catholic Church called “sede vacante“… describing the fact that the See (of Rome) is empty. The Latin “sede vacante” is ablative, describing existing circumstances in a larger context. Otherwise we refer to … Continue reading
The Holy Father is leaving the Apostolic Palace to go to Castel Gandolfo.
Our final view of Pope Benedict XVI as Roman Pontiff.
UPDATE: The doors are closed.
Bp. Vasa (D. Santa Rosa) under fire for requiring Catholic school teachers to live according to the Faith
The Santa Rosa Press Democrat has an interseting story about an initiative in the local Diocese of Santa Rosa where Most Rev. Robert Vasa is bishop.
It occurred to me as I read this that people who make a push for … Continue reading
From a reader in the combox under another entry:
I propose that for Benedict’s new coat of arms, he should keep the keys but remove the mitre and pallium, replacing them with a white galero with 21 tassels.
I have not heard … Continue reading
A partial indulgence is granted to the Christian faithful who, in a spirit of filial devotion, devoutly recite any duly approved prayer for the Supreme Pontiff (e.g., the Oremus pro Pontifice):
V. Let us pray for our Pontiff, Pope Benedict.
R. May the Lord preserve him, and … Continue reading
There is a small candlelight vigil being held in St. Peter’s Square beneath the Holy Father’s window.
Some webcam shots:
First and foremost, help each other out!
Your Urgent Prayer Requests
And, because they scroll off quickly…
QUAERITUR: Can we obtain indulgences and pray for Holy Father’s intentions if there is no Holy Father?
WaPo and lefty, pro-homosexual advocacy “journalism”
Prayer Intentions of the Holy … Continue reading
QUAERITUR: Can we obtain indulgences and pray for Holy Father’s intentions if there is no Holy Father?
Please use the sharing buttons! Thanks!
Many people have sent email asking about obtaining indulgences during the time when the See of Peter is empty, as will happen from 8 p.m. Rome time on 28 February until a new Bishop of … Continue reading
There is an interesting piece at The American Conservative which illustrates an obvious problem in the mainstream media. Rod Dreher nailed this one.
Dreher looks into WaPo‘s commentary an exchange between an editor, a journalist, and a concerned reader. The point made is … Continue reading
Prayer Intentions of the Holy Father entrusted to the Apostleship of Prayer for the Year 2014
2013-02-27 L’Osservatore Romano
Universal: That all may promote authentic economic development that respects the dignity of all peoples.
For Evangelization: That Christians of diverse denominations may walk … Continue reading
The other day there was a particularly tasteless and mendacious article in the Washington Times (I thought better of them) entitled “Is ‘bad Catholic’ the new Catholic?” written by Nicole Pandolfo.
This piece is so bad that she does not deserve … Continue reading
Your Excellencies! Fathers! Plans for 28 February? Masses for the Pope? For the Election? Bells? Processions? Prayers?
To all bishops and priests out there….
Do you have any special plans for 28 February? After?
His Holiness ceases to be Pope, Bishop of Rome, and becomes “Pontiff Emeritus” at exactly 20:00 Central European Time on 28 February. Have you worked … Continue reading
The subject of chapel veils, mantillas, whatever, comes up occasionally. It always excites conversation.
My view is that this custom should be revived. According to the Church’s present law, women are not obliged to cover their heads in church. I would … Continue reading
Benedict XVI to be called “Pontiff Emeritus” or “Pope Emeritus” and some other end-of-Pontificate details
BENEDICT XVI WILL BE POPE EMERITUS
Vatican City, 26 February 2013 (VIS) – Benedict XVI will be “Pontiff emeritus” [would that be “Roman Pontiff Emeritus”?] or “Pope emeritus”, as Fr. Federico Lombardi, S.J., director of the Holy See Press Office, … Continue reading